PDA

View Full Version : So... How does the contest work?

phantomthief
09-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Hiya! This'll be my first NDK and I'm VERY confused!!!

If you're not registering online, how does the contest work?

When should I be there, what should I bring, how long does it last?

For example, I'm used to the AWA system. You come in full costume in the morning with an entry form and a reference picture. The entry cap is at 120 entries, so get there early!
Three people judge you in a private room, each person gets about a minute. All award descisions are made right then.
You come back in the evening in full costume for the Runway-style show, you get 30 seconds on stage (actually a lot of time!) and no mics or skits. Awards are announced afterwards.

I reeeeeeeally hope I don't have to be there super early to get a spot in the contest, but I also don't want to have brought my main costume for nothing. (If you've seen my SohRyu in my gallery, it's huge and rather difficult to walk in, so hall cosplay in that thing is a no-go >.<)

~Ari-chan

Lady Neese
09-27-2006, 11:36 PM
There is onsite sign up on Friday night at 6:30 in the autograph area. People have been known to start lining up anywhere from 2:00 to 4:00. You don't need to be in the costume you are wearing for the contest, but if you want to then that’s up to you. There will be two lines for the contest sign up. One line for Children, Masters, and Cosplay, the other will be for Beginner and Intermediate categories. As of this moment for onsite slots there will be 21 slots available for beginners, 11 for Intermediate, 6 for masters, 7 for cosplay and 5 slots for children, that may or may not change as I get all the pre-reg finished with. The only thing you need for sign up is yourself, any other group members you may have, and your convention badge. You'll have to fill out a entry form, give it to the person at the computer when its your turn, then one of the cosplay staff will give you a copy of the rules and have you sign a hold harmless/publicity waiver, after that you'll get your cosplay badge. The cosplay badge is important so don't lose it!!!

On Saturday the greenroom opens at 5:30 and closes at 6:15, so make sure you're in the line or the room by 6:15. If we're all set up before then we may open it earlier it just depends on when we get the room and when we get set up. When you get checked off by the cosplay staff you'll hand them your cosplay badge, take your seat and when its time to go on stage you'll be led by a member of my wonderful staff to the backstage where you'll go on. Everyone has 30 seconds, that 30 seconds is yours to do with as you please, you can make a little speech, model your outfit or have the announcer say something about your costume. The cosplay and master categories have a bit more time; cosplay is limited to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. The masters times are determined by their statements about their costumes but won't exceed 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

The judging happens during the contest, so even I don't know who's won until all the votes come in.

phantomthief
09-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Rather odd having registration the day before XD

What time do you suggest being in line? I won't get there until about 5:30 due to school :\ I'm wavering between the beginner and intermediate so I'll probably jump in either ^.^;

~Ari-chan

FilthyWarumono
09-29-2006, 07:06 AM
YAY I GET TO SEE YOU! XDXDXD

Alu-chan
09-29-2006, 10:51 AM
We missed the preregistration for the costume contest this year (cause I missed the deadline for actual convention preregistration, go me), so like Neese said, its all a matter of sitting in line for hours. T^T I'm gonna be sittin' there at about 2:00 till when we need to sign up. *dies* But earlier is deffinatly better. D: