PDA

View Full Version : Post-Con Depression anyone?

UrMastrInuYasha
09-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Eh, Quite a few of my friends, and myself included have been having post-con depression, Me, Not being able to handle depression, or Cope with it has had the worse. I've rememberd the good things, and then I realize " Wow, this happens only happens once a year.. and even if I am lucky" and then here comes the gloomyness.

So has anyone else had this same problem? and if so, How do you cope with it?

-InuYasha

Harl
09-28-2006, 02:35 AM
I've been depressed lately, but for other reasons besides just the con being over. Don't get me wrong, that's been a letdown too, but damn if life hasn't been dumping all its shit in my lap at once this past month. The con was a welcome getaway from it, and now here I am, back again. Ugh.

UrMastrInuYasha
09-28-2006, 03:31 AM
I've been depressed lately, but for other reasons besides just the con being over. Don't get me wrong, that's been a letdown too, but damn if life hasn't been dumping all its shit in my lap at once this past month. The con was a welcome getaway from it, and now here I am, back again. Ugh.

Pretty much how it is for me... it sucks... I wish I knew how to fix it.

GeminiVirus
09-28-2006, 05:17 AM
We need more con's like..every weekend..that would be really awsome..just hanging out.

Xenida
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
The only way that I know how to deal with con depression is to start thinking about the next one. I go to about 4 cons a year and they are pretty spaced out. Once one con ends, I start thinking what did I forget to take and what I don't need to take. I also start thinking about my next cosplay costume.

london2191
09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Hell, everyone is depressed at conventions. It always hits me at Dragon*Con and it minorly hit me for AWA. You finally realize that this is no longer the greatest day of your life. You can no longer shout the names of your favorite characters or casually see them on the way to the bathroom. You can't galavant around in costume and be ignored, when instead you're stared at.

AND YOU DON'T GET YOUR PICTURE TAKEN ALL THE TIME! ;______________;

RyeCrimsonMoon
09-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm not really "depressed", but less-stressed. I feel a little better that I can now sit back and enjoy my shows instead of trying to use the sewing machine and missing a big part of it. But now that I've enjoyed it for a few days, its bugging me that my next "maybe"-con (MTAC) is so far away and I have nothing to do. :/ So I guess I'm a little depressed 'cause I have nothing to do ._.;

Queen Anime 99
09-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Eh, Quite a few of my friends, and myself included have been having post-con depression, Me, Not being able to handle depression, or Cope with it has had the worse. I've rememberd the good things, and then I realize " Wow, this happens only happens once a year.. and even if I am lucky" and then here comes the gloomyness.

-InuYasha
I feel kinda sad, but not depressed. Just remember that now you have a WHOLE year to work on your next costume. You got a lot of time to relax and enjoy new anime/manga/video games (Like ones they showed at the con). And besides, the Momocon should be coming up pretty soon. And I promise you, time goes by SOO fast. ^_^

Yuugiusa
09-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Hai. I know exactly how you feel. I recently quit my job because I hated how everyone kept telling me to smile, as if that were such a big part of you're job at a f***ing grocer. And now I have more pressure than ever to go college for a number of reasons. 50 reasons? 60? 500 reasons? More reasons than that anyway. People tend to prefer people who have a college degree of some sort. That's the vibe I've been getting.:untrust: So now, I have to figure out a way to make a little bit of cash on the side with my art, which isn't easy at all, especially when all you have is $20 and dA.

.......*sigh* It's going to be a struggle.:hafha:

edit: If anyone (who lives around Atlanta, Decatur, Marietta, or someplace around those places) want to get together maybe once or twice a month somewhere, that can be arranged. I'd post another thread for the idea, but I have so much to do.=(

DizzyFan
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
*points at signature*

I want my AWA back. T_____T

TechieCL
09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Ugggh, not me. The Dragon*Con - AWA double whammy is a hard one for me the way I roll at both. Nice to have a long break till my next con where I can sit back and panic/work on MomoCon stuff.

Maybe other cons, yeah I got a bit. But definately not Drago-wa.

WaruiKoohii
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
I used to get major post-con depression, and I still do, but it's not quite as bad anymore. I've been going to cons since 2003, and this year I've been to 5 with a sixth coming up. I think I've just gotten used to conventions ending, so I don't get quite as depressed when they're over.

Instead, I have to deal with getting back to real life, and out of the convention mood.

phantoms_angel
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
We left for awa under not the best circumstances, but we agreed to have fun. Now we've come back to normal life and the problems we left behind us, are still here. The car problems, money shortage and all that jazz. I am VERY sad AWA is over...however I just post my con report and move on. Need to fix real life before I can work on next year's costume.

DalaiLiam
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I came back with the flu. I think that beats depression hands down, how about you Parson?

london2191
09-28-2006, 09:59 PM
Dragon*Con always hits me hard. I remember last year...whooo, that was a doozy. I didn't suffer as much this year coz' I had AWA to look forward to. I think I'm not as bad right now because I have school all the way to my nosie to work on. And I can look forward to better cosplays as I'm getting my braces off in a month or two. Momocon is gonna be Time Skip or ANBU Temari. Since it's low profile, I may just do Time Skip again, but I want something comfy and non-high-maintenance. Besides, I may not even go on account of my lack of transportation. ;_;

Yuugi: I live in Alpharetta, but I'd probably have a hard time getting together with other cosplayers unless my friends' parents bring me which would be even weirder. My mom doesn't like the idea even without knowing it. I'd love to get together tho'.

Yoshiii
09-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Imagine how I feel...

I ship off for the NAVY now in a little over a month.

The con was the last real thing I'll have to remember my life at home, before I go.

Imagine how much worse I feel that I didn't arrive on Saturday in time to enter the cosplay contest, after spending $450+ and 60+ hours on my costume!

Hooray!

*bang*

x_X

Draculina
09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Hmmm...post-con depression, eh? Not me, noooo waaay. It's back to reality for this chick...bills, school, work, *graduation*...

*Cheer up, emo kids, and look forward to the next one!* (does a happy cartwheel for you) XD

livvylove
09-28-2006, 11:12 PM
It sucked going back to work, then having to basicly work a 12 hour day because of website issues. It's like my co-workers knew and wanted to see photos but I just couldn't share my excitement because they just were not interested which sucked. They are all a bunch of nerds too but not the same kind of nerd as me.

TechieCL
09-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I came back with the flu. I think that beats depression hands down, how about you Parson?

Minor stomache flu hit me tuesday. Then of course there's the inflamed shoulders and rotator cuffs from too many shoulder bearing costumes.

Miss Meru
09-29-2006, 10:53 AM
It didn't hit me very badly this year. I didn't enjoy Dragon*Con much, but after attending that it makes AWA seem so tiny. I do still enjoy AWA but I'd really like to try out different & bigger cons.

I miss getting my picture taken though! *camwhore* XD

Hikaruhime
09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I get minor depression after A-Kon, but I always perk up quickly because I'm like, "Hey! AWA in 3 months! :D:D:D" But after AWA, I am uber-depressed because I don't have another con until around June. ;___;

london2191
09-30-2006, 12:17 AM
o.o Wow, that was pretty emo, Yoshii. But I seriously feel terrible for you.

I get to look forward to Momocon, pretty cheap but still a con, BUT it sucks even more that I may not even be able to get a ride. Anime cons are off limits to me unless I get another person to bring me. Fortunately my friend's father owed him for AWA so he got access to it. D*C is for the rest of my life. =) I got that, so...yeah. Either I wait till march or a whole 'nother year. ;_;

hoshi-p
09-30-2006, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't call it depression, but I always am a little sad after a convention. After AWA, I'm bummed because it means not being able to see some people until Kawaii Kon or even until the next AWA (if I'm even going). It's also the only convention that I go to as an attendee, so I'm a little sad to have to wait for a whole 'nother year to go, maybe more.

Aside from that, I usually get stressed going back into the real world. I have no time to recover and I basically have to go back into full-swing while recovering from a 6-hour time difference. It's exhausting and not very fun.

sweet_magic
09-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I feel everyone's pain. If it wasn't for Momocon coming up, I would go insane since AWA is another year away now. T-T I wish there were more cons in Georgia to go to...

Wakusei
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm a bit depressed over the fact that I meet so many great people that I only get to see or talk to at AWA, me being a native Viginian.

If any of you remember the Sanji who runs around kissing hands then drop me a PM. I can always use more friends to talk to online.

Spiv and X
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I get it baaaad.

I made new friends that live down there in GA, and we can only talk on line, since I live in TN. ;____;

I have to deal with school and living up to the standards of an evil, drunken mother.

I have to again sit here on my tail end for hours a day just to talk to my girlfriend sicne we are barely allowed to see each other outside school.

I have to worry and fret about finishing my Orgy Coat before halloween! *pulls hair out*

AND I have to wait until APRIL for my next convention. (Thought that's not as long as the people that only go to AWA have to wait)

Wow. The real world sucks.

-X

Kaicyios
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I miss my Seele box.

Flowery
10-02-2006, 07:08 PM

Sonic Man
06-25-2007, 01:27 PM
*Bump*

I went to my first con this past weekend and had one hell of a good time. We left early on Sunday because a friend needed to run an errand for his mom. When I got home, I greeted my mom with a somewhat melancholy tone of voice. I'm feeling a bit depressed because the love and attention I had at the Con is gone. Once a Superhero, always a Superhero. I shook hands with my altered ego and hugged him farewell. *sniff* I wish God gave me more days like that. I swear, if he did, my life wouldn't suck so much.

sakura-chan87
06-25-2007, 10:30 PM

-InuYasha

Hmm, you know I've encountered this condition several times in my time. :D

Typical symptoms might include but aren't limited to:
~anime withdrawl
~video game obsession
~excessive time spent on the internet, usually in the forums from cons you've attended recently
~searching through con photo galleries
~not wanting to washed your cosplay because you remember that "last time you wore it"

The best advice I can give you is to immediately start distracting yourself from the gloom. Hang out with your cosplay buddies and take retarded, goofy photos. Talk about cons you plan to attend in the future. Stop wallowing in the past and look towards the future.
Cons are big pains in the rear if you're not prepared. Save yourself the anxiety later by pushing away the depression and focusing on the next big con coming up. You'll be thankful you did too. It'll also give you the chance to look back at your past con experiences too with more happiness rather than remorse.

I hope that helps! We'll see you soon at AWA 2007!

Sonic Man
06-26-2007, 11:32 AM
It's hard, isn't it, Sakura? I'm feeling a little better today, especially since my seamstress and I will be re-working Sonic Man's prototype armour in two weeks.

[Edit:] you're right about distracting yourself from the gloom. I'm happy that I'll be improving my already awesome costume in two weeks. People loved me at EPAC '07. When I went on the Masquerade, the second time I walked on stage, five girls shouted "WE LOVE YOU SONIC MAN!!" Whoever they are, I love them, too.

Sonic Man loves the ladies and will always be there for them whenever they're in need.

Love, Peace and Heroes,

Sonic Man