PDA

View Full Version : Shaving your legs; Pain, or pleasure^^

Setsuna22
03-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Ok, yesterday was the first time I've tried shaving my legs ever! It was just a practice shave, so I would know how it would feel before I do it to the convention. You know, just in case I messed up. At first, it felt really good. Everything my leg touched felt all crazy and smooth! Then, this morning when I woke up, the upper part of my legs stung in certain spots (not all over) and the area around where the hair grows was (and still is) irritated and red. Ouchies! I think the problem may have been in my method of shaving.
1. I did it in the shower
2. I used the same razor I use on my face
3. I used the same shaving cream I use on my face

I just need to know what I can do, so the next time I do it, my legs will feel AND look nice (none of this red crap^^)
Any suggestions?

TsubasaNoKami
03-19-2003, 04:51 PM
You shouldnt do it in the shower...and they have special razors for girls...you can use any shaving cream, but you can use shampoo or some silky stuff...o.o;

Koumori
03-19-2003, 04:59 PM
The only difference between razors for guys and girls is the grip - since women hold them differently. So there's nothing wrong with the razor or shaving cream you used, and I've never had any trouble doing it in the shower. It sounds like you're just not used to the different angle (in which case one of the "women's" razors might make it easier for you) and you ended up pressing too hard and giving yourself razor burn. Go slowly and try to make sure you aren't scraping up your skin. It may also help to use a moisturizing lotion afterwards, and to try to shave in the direction of the hair growth (so, down instead of up) to minimize irritation of the hair follicles.

Setsuna22
03-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks! That helps a lot! The only other problem I have is it takes me a very VERY long time. It took me an hour and a half to do both legs! about 45 mins per leg. This doesn't seem normal to me.... Seeing as how girls do it all the time, I'm sure it doesn't take them that long!^^* How long does it usually take you? Or Anyone for that matter?

ducky_feet
03-19-2003, 05:29 PM
It usually doesn't take THAT long, but I guess it all comes with experience? I don't really know, I go for the wax. :thumbsup:

Hikaru Tsuki
03-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Setsuna22
Thanks! That helps a lot! The only other problem I have is it takes me a very VERY long time. It took me an hour and a half to do both legs! about 45 mins per leg. This doesn't seem normal to me.... Seeing as how girls do it all the time, I'm sure it doesn't take them that long!^^* How long does it usually take you? Or Anyone for that matter?

The length of time it takes to shave legs varies. I only shave when I have to. So if I don't plan on going anywhere in shorts or a skirt, I don't bother shaving. But when I do, I find the quickest way to do it is on the edge of a tub and using Keri cream (that stuff rules). It usually takes 10-20 minutes. But in the shower or in the tub, it can take half an hour to do (especially when you usually have to wear glasses ><). You get used to shaving after a while and it takes less time with each time you do it. (How much of your leg you have matters too, if you do the whole leg, it'll obviously take much longer than if you just did below your knees).

Bombay-kitty
03-19-2003, 05:34 PM
oy, it takes me like five minutes tops! But that could be because I'm used to it...well, hope with all the advice you're getting, and considering how much razor burn hurts, I hope both your costume and the convention go over well. And the more you shave the less it will hurt and the easier it will become.

Keurblitz
03-19-2003, 05:43 PM
::Votes for waxing::

But goddamn 45mins per leg? I mean, I can shave your whole body in 10 mins.... ::wink wink:: j/k

Kellie
03-19-2003, 05:46 PM
I use an electric razor. *___* They're dreamy. No pulling, no nicking, smooth and close shave. ;) Takes me five minutes if that to save both legs. Although I have yummy pear shaving cream that I use every so often.

Setsuna22
03-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Hehehe! I think the only reason it took so long, was because I (and guys in general) Have hairier legs than girls. Plus, The costume I'm doing is MAD HATTER from AS, and the outfit is thigh highs, a garter belt, and mini skirt! The thigh highs should cover up my lower, and some of my upper leg, but I need to go all the way up to the bikini line 0.o! Just in case I bend over, or something, and the skirt rides up a bit. Also, what shaving products are the best? like what brand of shaving cream, and brand of razors would you suggest? This advice rocks, btw^^

Kellie
03-19-2003, 06:20 PM
The best shaving cream that I've known is Skintimate. I THINK that's what its called.

Razor wise, I would go for Schick? ^^; I think that's it.

Keurblitz
03-19-2003, 08:57 PM
"female" shaving cream smells nicer (fruitier) and ish slightly more nourishing ^_^

Razor? just stay away from the triple blades. Use a double blade, it works better.

Sana-chan
03-19-2003, 09:23 PM
When I shave I use the yellow bottled Skintimates. It says it's specifically for bikini line and underarms, but it works juss fine for legs too lol. Haven't had a cut since I started using that stuff ^_^.

RichAyanami
03-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Wow... this IS good advice... last time I just shaved with an electric... It did the job XD

...although a few days afterwards, even with the electric my skin got a little irritated and red, not massively but just at the hairs. Whatever though, I'll try some of this stuff next time ^^

ReiChan
03-19-2003, 10:16 PM
I use Gillette stuff...the Venus razor and their shave gel. 45 minutes is a long time to be shaving! But we girls can do it quickly because we shave regularly. So when we shave we're only removing 1/4 inch of growth or less (usually way less). I generally don't get razor burn, but it's more likely to happen when you shave on dry skin. You could even try soaking in the tub and then shaving. Also, try putting lotion on afterwards.

Michi
03-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Wow, I'm lazy. I use like... a heavy soap lather, instead of any cream, to shave my legs. ^_^; Unless my mom bought something nice that just happens to be there and available. o_O

You just have to be careful with it. o.o; I remember when a male friend of mine first tried and had nicks everywhere..

And yes, lotion right after could certainly help you..

Setsuna22
03-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Does any kind of lotion work? Or is there a kind that works best? I really want my legs to look nice for this costume!

Koumori
03-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Anya's absolutely right about exfoliating. The little red bumps that some people are describing around the hair follicles, esp. in the bikini area, are probably ingrown hairs. Dead skin cells getting in there can irritate the follicles and help cause that problem (which plagues me endlessly - less so when I wax, which is usually these days). For the same reason (blocking up the follicles) I'd recommend a lighter lotion, rather than a really heavy one. Any of the Vaseline or Jergens-type sensitive skin lotions should work.

Nine
03-20-2003, 01:49 AM
Shaving your legs doesn't hurt at all.. it's the waxing that does ~_~

Michi
03-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Heyyyy this thread is helpful.. I hate shaving the bikini line, which I NEED to for costumes like Shiranui Mai. x_x; *writes down notes*

HuongStar
03-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I use men's twin-blade razors (with aloe strip) and a generic store-brand shaving cream that contains alpha-hydroxy almost exclusively; the alpha-hydroxy works as a light chemical exfoliant which helps eliminate ingrown hairs. For men who are shaving for the first time, I've heard that using a beard trimmer on legs to eliminate length first helps cut down on shaving time.

I'll agree with Anya on the coarse hair & exfoliation tips: definitely soak for a couple of minutes in warm water and lightly run a loofah over the shaving area. Let your shaving cream/gel "saturate" for a moment before hacking away! Always use a new razor to eliminate nicks and razor burn (you have to press harder with old razors since the blades are dull) and apply lotion liberally afterwards while the skin is still damp.

You ought to check this lotion out (http://www.jergens.com/products/lotionnaturallysmooth.htm). It's non-greasy, super moisturizing, and with regular use, it helps to slow down regrowth and thins out existing body hair. :D

If you do have unslightly ingrown hairs/bumps, you should use Tend Skin (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P13024&shouldPaginate=true) on the affected area.

DigitalShin
03-20-2003, 01:18 PM
If you got hairy legs (like meh, I'm one hairy mofo),trimming first would be a good idea. It hurts if you go right into it sometimes. X_x...I kinda wish I could shave more often but my parental units would freak.

Menchi
03-20-2003, 02:04 PM
i am lucky for the time being my family doesnt notice when i shave my legs...for now. come warmer times i need to get my legs more tan for a costume i am gonna wear an that means interestin probs...

Kellie
03-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Menchi - ^_^ You could always bring up the fact that guys who swim have to shave their legs?

Setsuna22
03-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Hahaha! I wear pants all the time, so my parents will never find out! Just wear airy khakis or something.... I tried shaving them again this morning, and it took much less time, although, the red bumpies still appeared, but I used lotion afterward so there wasn't really much pain... That's all right, though. I'm definitely gonna exfoliate next time. And what's a LOOFA, Huongstar? are those those puffy washcloth things? I've also heard pumice stone is good to exfoliate with.

Kellie
03-20-2003, 03:10 PM
^_^ Yep. That's a loofa or something else that works well is one of those beige sea sponges. *___* They work wonders.

Koumori
03-20-2003, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't use a pumice stone on my legs - those are for the kind of major calluses that build up on your feet and elbows, and way too harsh for non-callused skin. A gentle scrub (or one of the St. Ives Apricot Scrubs, which I've always found too harsh for my face but fine for my body) would be better.

Menchi
03-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Kellie
Menchi - ^_^ You could always bring up the fact that guys who swim have to shave their legs?

lol i dont really really swim...oh well when i can get outta the house will get back into my normal habits i had. can we say menchi with a wonderful auburn colored hair ^^. gettin an apt woudl be kewl as i wouldnt need to hide my dresses for my crossplay costumes too...wil be nice. jus need a job an a roomie...anyone in illinois wanna join me XD (jus teasin)

DigitalShin
03-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Menchi-
Your lucky! This is the downside of having strict spanish parents. They aren't as open to the idea of me having my legs shaven. X_x I could choak a small dog with the leg hair.

Setsuna22
03-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Wow! Menchi and Digitalshin- You guys have the same problems as me! Yay! I'm not alone ^-^ hehehe Anyways, if I am wearing thigh highs that are black and translucent, will that cover up little bits of stubble and razor burn pretty well? Or will it show right through. Also, I am very tall. What size of thigh highs should I buy. I'm relativley trim and very Tall.

Koumori
03-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Wow! Menchi and Digitalshin- You guys have the same problems as me! Yay! I'm not alone ^-^ hehehe Anyways, if I am wearing thigh highs that are black and translucent, will that cover up little bits of stubble and razor burn pretty well? Or will it show right through. Also, I am very tall. What size of thigh highs should I buy. I'm relativley trim and very Tall.

They're sold by height and weight - just look at the package and you'll see a size chart.

Stockings always help hide any small imperfections, but if you have stubble, it will poke right through - definitely something to watch for if you have dark hair.

Menchi
03-20-2003, 08:54 PM

am sure that there are more ppl with your prob too lol. for i wear cream (basicly almost white) tights an jus shave legs the day before or night before con time. it makes it so even if the hair does come back is soo short ya wotn see it well. but black shoudl work wonders...that an tan. when ya go get tights look at height then weight as koumouri wws sayin. oh if ya take your time an such shavin legs...it makes it less likely ya get nicks or burns. not gettin those probs jus comes with experience... ^^;;

Dark Vision
03-21-2003, 12:35 PM
There is a difference in the women stuff and men's stuff. The female stuff sometimes has shields and the men's stuff shave better.

One hint: Using a brand new mach 3 razor, one full use on the legs using makes the razor kaput. Its gets dull enough that its unusable on the face. So keep two, one for facial and one for legs. Also might wanna use an electric razor to get rid of massive hair, meaning if its longer than 4/10 of an inch. Massive pulling usally occurs.

What else, my friend tells me she uses like 2 or 3 different razors and one or 2 different chemicals solutions(creme) she like to use. So either go all out or just hope you don't cut yourself.

Setsuna22
03-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Okay! I've finally figured out how to do it without the pain^^ Thanks for all your help everyone ^_^ But, whenever I shave my legs, they feel really cold! Brrrrrrrrr

Menchi
03-23-2003, 04:33 PM
kinda funny...isn't it how tht small amount of hair on your legs adds so much insulative value. i found out exactly how much it did when i shaved my legs first time in january. went out in 20ish degree weather in a hoop skirt too. all things being tights or nylons will help ya keep your legs warmer ^^

yasafusa
03-24-2003, 01:58 AM
Hey, that makes sense... I'm part American Indian (the hairless part, but not the cool long black hair... it's brown) AND I'M ALWAYS COLD! I get asked if I shave my arms and chest all the time! Oh well...... It's kinda cool when I only have to shave my face every other week... and THAT's to avoid "stubble" hehe

Vialoi Ketsueke
03-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Dark Vision
There is a difference in the women stuff and men's stuff. The female stuff sometimes has shields and the men's stuff shave better.

One hint: Using a brand new mach 3 razor, one full use on the legs using makes the razor kaput. Its gets dull enough that its unusable on the face. So keep two, one for facial and one for legs. Also might wanna use an electric razor to get rid of massive hair, meaning if its longer than 4/10 of an inch. Massive pulling usally occurs.

What else, my friend tells me she uses like 2 or 3 different razors and one or 2 different chemicals solutions(creme) she like to use. So either go all out or just hope you don't cut yourself.

I use Marh 3 razor's on my legs, and one blade will last a really long time, ..Providing you don't let your hair grow too long. (Ehehe.) Mach 3's are expencive, but I find they are worth the money.
Sometimes rashes break out when you have sensitive skin, so you might want to try shaving cream (or gel) for sensitive skin.

..45 minutes is a very long time to be shaving your legs.....

Xx Lulu xX
03-31-2003, 12:07 AM
Hmm....shaving....::shudder:: being a crossplayer....i figured this'll help me good.....cuz I'm doing a Lulu FFX bathing suit, for Otakon this year.....and i was wondering what about products like nair.....cuz i'm not to steady with a razor in my hand....and i dont wanna be all cut up for the photoshoot.....and will it work in the armpit, or is that too harsh???

Setsuna22
04-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Okay, It's happening again. The area around the hair is turning red, and sometimes forms a teeny little scab, but it does it randomly. It's not like just a huge patch of it. It's dotted around, kinda like connect the dots^^ What is this, and how so I make it go away? Sometimes they itch too if that helps. (I even put on lotion and Talc powder, but that only makes my skin feel softer, and does nothing about the redness)

Kabuki
04-01-2003, 01:47 PM
the mach 3 is the guy's equivilent to the venus...is basically just a different color and marketed towords guys...(ever notice that the venus and the mach 3 tend to go on sale together at the same time? ^_~)

I've found that bathing helps drastically...ESP when reshaving after the "forest" has regrown....the blade doesn't clog up as much. Your not alone in the massive ammount of time it takes to shave....women's hair isn't as dark/thick as guys and they can get away with the lighter "peach fuzz" on their thighs/butt. If you keep on shaving the bumps should go away eventually as your skin "toughens up".

I personally use the venus and skintamitte sp?? shave gel...the guys' is too harsh IMO. I also use a japanese washcloth before I shave to help exfoliate as Twinkle described already. then moistureize immediatly afterwards.

as for the bumps...if you have very fair skin...they seem to show up more....if you have dark tanned legs the redspots/bumps virtually dissappear. also as irritating as it might be...I use the washcloth/loofa over the bumps when I shave them again...it helps to force the hairs out of the folicle ready to be shaved closer.

also..nair...for me its never REALLY works as I've wanted it to...I'm not sure how well it works on women....but I get minimal to no results with it....I think my hair is too coarse for it. -_- the joys of genetics XD my upper half is the body of a hairless asian man...but my lower is that of a monkey XDXDXD

Koumori
04-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Okay, It's happening again. The area around the hair is turning red, and sometimes forms a teeny little scab, but it does it randomly. It's not like just a huge patch of it. It's dotted around, kinda like connect the dots^^ What is this, and how so I make it go away? Sometimes they itch too if that helps. (I even put on lotion and Talc powder, but that only makes my skin feel softer, and does nothing about the redness)

It sounds like ingrown hairs, if they're not concentrated in any one area and it doesn't seem like razor burn. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot to be done about this, except to follow some of the tips listed on this thread earlier - exfoliate and soak/bathe with warm water before you shave, and shave in the direction of the hair growth. For some people (read: me) it just sort of seems to go hand in hand with the whole shaving process.

L to the 3rd
04-01-2003, 04:25 PM
i hate shaving but i'm fortunate enugh that i don't have to do it often because i'm not hairy....i use the Venus shaver.

engrish
04-01-2003, 09:07 PM
the first time I got rid of the hair on my legs, I clogged the drain in the bath tub. Now I know better, collect as much hair as possible and toss it in the trash before washing the rest down the drain. Yeah that sounds nasty.

I also noticed it helps if you first shave with an electric shaver(the kind you use for shaving your head) before pulling out the Mach 3's. Why? The electric shaver gets rid of most of the hair so your Mach 3 or whatever blade you're using won't get overwhelmed. It's the same concept when a carpenter uses a coarse grit sand paper first to do the heavy sanding and then uses a fine grit sand paper to do the finishing touch. gotta love the analogy:p

Setsuna22
04-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Hahaha! Yeah. it's too late for me, though. An electric razor WOULD have been a good idea, but I'm just a silly boi, so that thought came to me much too late. Anyways, my legs look nice! I just realized this. After shaving off all the hair, you can really look at the contours, and figure. I'm not muscular, so I don't have any huge bulges on my legs, and I'm not fat, so I don't have thunder thighs^^ And.... I think I'm just right!!!! it makes me happy^_^
I do think my thighs are kinda big though, but I think all people (who care) think their thighs are massive

Merlyn
04-04-2003, 02:36 AM
I have quite a few problems with ingrown hairs, especially around the bikini area... But I figured that if I use Nair-type products around those areas and shave the rest of my legs, it helps quite a bit. Sometimes Nair may take longer to work, or leave a slight redness for a short time afterwords, but it may be worth it to some.

Setsuna22
04-04-2003, 01:50 PM
really? Nair sounds wondeful actually. And you're right!!! Most of the ingrown hairs reside at my bikini line, unfortunately. How much does it cost?

Merlyn
04-04-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm not too sure, but probably around $5-6... Probably about the same as a bottle of lotion. It's fairly easy to use, and comes in *chuckles* various scents, and with or without aids like baby oil. There are probably kinds made for sensitive skin, also... But I think that's pretty equal with most shaving creams, right?*shrugs*

Menchi
04-05-2003, 03:13 AM
walmart baby! $4 an ya can get the big 9oz bottles too i got rapberry scented..even though it still stinks. jus **absolutely test patch first** if ya are allergic an such it cuases hell to ya. my friend kat tried it on her legs not test patching an found out tht she was allergic. it is alot of swelling, an something about scabs or soemthing. nair is wonderful stuff though...got some for sensitive skin...bikin line...an i think nair for men. but walmart $4 a bottle w00t!

KittenPlush
04-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Hee, I swear by my Venus razor and Raspberry Skintimate. Works every time! The good thing about the Venus razors is that the blade moves with the contour of your skin, so you cut yourself one HECK of a lot less. ^^; It's great!

Lady
04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
I found that once I started shaving down rather than up for my bikini area, I no longer had any razor burn or ingrown hairs there.

Overall I prefer to use Nads, especially for my underarms. I have very pale skin, so even if I get a perfect shave in some areas, I still have a shadow of the hair underneath the skin*pouts* Plus my hair grows really fast, and ripping it out is the only way to stay hair-free for more than a few hours at a time.*nods*

So I vote for Nads, even if it does hurt like the dickens!

-Lady

TammyKitten
04-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Pain or Pleasure? Pleasure of course! Nothing feels sexier than silky smooth legs, espescially if your a guy. There is something very forbidden and exciting about creating the illusion of another gender. Why stop at shaving just your legs? If you really want to give it a go and induldge yourself shave and nair everything below the neck and moisturize regularly. Nothing feels like silk undergarments and silky nylons on freshly shaving legs! So of course pleasure.

Luna
04-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Good thread...just last night after shave I was frowing at some irritation on my knees. So Venus is really good? I should try that....I am alwas in pain after stupid shaving....I probably should also try Noir thing, just plug my nose before that.
My skin is super sensitive and my legs itch and hurt like crazy! I had to get this neavy anti-itch lotion thing, grrrrrrrrr..... and bikini area is pain too, since I can't reach certain spots...it's like doing friggin yoga in the tub, lol! I've used some special bikini area lotion it's sold in the same area as all the wax and hair removal creams and it works really good on all those red bumps, try that, it's called "Bikini Zone" But it also stinks....lol

kris
04-13-2003, 09:46 PM
^-^; always shave it wet.

mens razor works better than womens I think...

only one stroke, make sure it is sharp... because if you rub it over and over to get it off-- you will get a big irritation.

Be careful on knees and ankle!!

What ever you do, the first times you will probably get some irritate... if you keep steady, it will get used.

My female friend says "bikini zone!!" ^-^; But she shaves EVERYTHING (^-^);;;;

Limeyaku
04-13-2003, 11:43 PM
use an epilady. ^____^

theyre so cute n cool! LOL! its like...a spinning thing with lotsa pluckers on it...n it plucks instead of shaves so it takes SUPER long to grow back and even when it does its REALLY really fine.

someone i know has been using it for a long time and doesnt even have to shave or anything anymore!! ^0^ how nice...LOL

i think they're about $40 cdn....^^ n it only hurts for like the first 20 seconds or something. MUCHMUCH better than shaving though. X_X 0% chance of nicks and gauges X_X owies....

daria_jack
04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Venus by Gillette is definetly the best (and I've tried alot of stuff) and what I didn't think of before my friend told me is to wash your legs after shaving to get rid of the smell from the shaving cream ^_^

And as for the main question: definetly pleasure

Setsuna22
04-14-2003, 08:12 PM
OMG! I just cut the back of my knee yesterday >< Itai!!!!!!!!!!
What a pain in the butt.... But, everywhere else is good. It's just so hard to get back there, and yeah.... I've found men's razors work reall really well. I took peoples' suggestions and used the Mach 3!!! Woooo! It rocks my socks^^ I actually bought a pair of black tights for my costume the other day, and they look awesome on.

Menchi
04-14-2003, 08:35 PM
w00t for me anymore i jus nair if i needed it makes my life a lil easier i think. loading my car up for cons is alot worse for me lol got alot of things to load. but will stil have to shave some spots *Shrugs* atleast i dont have to spend a long time on my legs

yunaffx2
04-15-2003, 08:55 PM
i was shaving because i was suposed to have gym the next day...and i cut my self all over my legs i was so embarrased...so the answer to you question...I SAY ITS PAIN CAUSE YOU COME OUT THE SHOWER AND YOU LEGS ARE ALL BLOODY CAUSE YOU CUT YOUR SELF AND YOUR TRYING TO SHOW OFF BUT YOU END UP SHOWING OFF ALL OF THE CUTS AND BRUISES YOU GET...especially me...i bruise easily. -_-

well if i were you i would get one of those advertisement things i was watching t.v and i saw this thing its like lotion that you just put it on the area and use this special towel to wipe it off and the hair comes off along with it i think it was 14.99 (like 3 payments) and it comes with extra things
or you can go to a beauty salon and get it waxed (now that hurts *.*)
or you can just shave it off the hard and terrible way @.@

Limeyaku
04-15-2003, 09:57 PM
sugaring doesnt hurt as much. ^_^

Widow
04-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Limeyaku
sugaring doesnt hurt as much. ^_^

Are you one of those mysterious creatures who mixes their own sugaring recipe at home?

>\ My roommate wanted me to try it first so that all scalding/gory mistakes would happen to me, but thus far I haven't gotten a batch to turn out right. It's a lot harder than it sounds. And now, of course, that I've failed twice, it's a matter of PRIDE to make it work at least once!

Menchi
04-15-2003, 11:26 PM
ya can get that stuff "nads" is the one i remember most at nay sally beasuty supply ^^ its like $30 though...i will stick with my $4 bottle of 4 minute nair lotion ^^;;;

Setsuna22
04-16-2003, 02:59 PM
?-?.... What is sugaring? I have never heard of that.....

Widow
04-16-2003, 04:42 PM
It's a method of hair removal like waxing that pulls the hair out, but you use a sugar-based mixture instead of wax. It's a lot like caramel, really.

Setsuna22
04-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Hahaha! Sounds..... delicious^^ So it's just like waxing then..... Hmmm..... I'll have to check into that! Thanks

Hotaru
04-21-2003, 02:31 PM
ah, adventures in shaving. i finally got an electric razor for christmas cause every time i would use a razor, i'd cut my legs up (ingrown hair problem, i guess) and it would BURN like hell. and i'd never shave my legs unless i had to. with me electric razor, it's got four settings for the length of the hair, and i can use the longest setting and cut it really short, which is good.

if you use lotion after wards, there isn't really a problem. and it takes no time at all, so, yay!

megumibish
04-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Heh, I've used sugarwax. Hard to use right, but effective and painful. However, the kits usually come with a desensitizing lotion that cuts the sting. Oh and follow the instructions to the T. Using a strip more than once in a single area will rip skin and result in bleeding. Very minor but bleeding none the less.

Lilli
04-21-2003, 03:44 PM
._. Hehe, now I feel bad! I love love LOVE the Gilette Mach 3, but it's for men? It gives me the absolute closest shave.

._. Maybe I should invest in a nice electric shaver... I don't have to shave every day like some girls cause my hair is really blond on my legs and dosn't show ._.

Edit: *ahem* By the way ^^; If you're shaving your bikkini line, especially if you don't shave it very often, might I suggest you keep some ice nearby? When you finish shaving, hold/rub the ice over the areas where you shaved. Yes I know how horrible it is to do that near your bikkini line, but it's great for preventing ingrown hairs.

Edit Edit: AND I HATE NADS T_T *sad sad sad* I used it once, and it left bruises. wtf? Maybe I was doing it horribly wrong? But it freakin hurt, and bruises, and ya ._. I'm gonna go look at one of those epilady things, LOL

Karisu-sama
04-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Epilady - ow ow ow. I had one years ago, and it caused more ingrown hairs than anything else I've used. I finally tossed it. (Of course that was an older model, but I'm not keen on trying out the newer ones.)

Face it - anything that rips hair out is going to hurt. I don't think you can get around that.

cube
04-22-2003, 12:49 PM
in grown hair eek! >_< the price one pays for crossplaying. It's good to have a sharp pair of tweezers for yanking ingrown hair out.

sometimes I ask myself why I do this to myself. here's the dilemia:

if the hair is cut below the skin surface the likely hood of ingrown hair increases but for crossplay ideally you want a close shave. I actually don't shave my legs, I prefure using depilatory cremes/ powders for hair leg removal. I've found that to be much less irritating then shaving.

Michi
04-22-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm lazy and don't shave very often at ALL... I wear pants all the time anyway.

All of these methods.. I just use a razor. @_@;; I want something that'll pull hair out completely, instead of just trimming it with shaving.. but.. not painfully. x.x I guess that isn't possible. >.>

Menchi
04-28-2003, 02:14 PM
aha! found a neat article on the red bumps on a search for other thigns...but i thought it was very useful. the whole article is here:

http://www.susans.org/reference/helphint.html

but this except was very useful

...When you are shaving don't swipe back and forth, but rather use gentle, and steady strokes, taking extreme care in the vicinity of any bones or tendons. Take your time, and if necessary go
over it with more shaving cream. Remember don't rub your legs with the towel, but pat them dry. If you rub immediately after you shaved, you will irritate your skin and end up with a
mass of irritated hair follicles that will look like red freckles. Apply a non-greasy moisturizer and let it soak in before you apply any leg make-up or your hose.
That's it for this month, hopefully this will help some of you.

pretty helpful ne?

Setsuna22
04-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Yay for Menchi! Thats awesome!!! weird website though *-*!!!!

Nine
04-28-2003, 06:53 PM
I don't bother.. really lol XD If i could find some GOOD skin colored tights to hide the hair, I would then have all my problems solved. I like my hairy legs.. :( I got my legs waxed for fun at youth and i hated not having the hair ~_~ i looked so stupid lol

Link Arroway
04-29-2003, 10:32 PM
I use shampoo and then follow up with lotion afterwards.

JacksUsername
05-01-2003, 12:20 PM
Hmm, I'm having difficulty...I just did a shaving test and did my chest the other day....the stomach area isnt' that bad after being shaven, but my upper chest is very hard to get very closely cut, and it almost leaves like a 5oclock shadow, so I was trying to figure out how to solve this.

I had used a combination of electric shaver and regular razor. I was wondering if waxing would solve this? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Menchi
05-01-2003, 12:39 PM
maybe try a lil pancake make up or somethin to divert ones attention from it or cover it? maybe nair if ya arent allergic to it...even though nair isnt for everyone. wax woud more than likely but OUCH i couldnt wax anything myself. if ya try wax...ya gotta let the hair grow out again i think?

Link Arroway
05-01-2003, 03:06 PM
should I like shave my arms o_O
or do something about my eyebrows.. they are thick and dark and all

Widow
05-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JacksUsername
Hmm, I'm having difficulty...I just did a shaving test and did my chest the other day....the stomach area isnt' that bad after being shaven, but my upper chest is very hard to get very closely cut, and it almost leaves like a 5oclock shadow, so I was trying to figure out how to solve this.

I had used a combination of electric shaver and regular razor. I was wondering if waxing would solve this? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm guessing that your problem may be because you're pale. Unfortunately, pale people are probably always better off waxing, because shaving only cuts the hair above the surface of the skin, and unless all of your hair is very blond, the dark hair just beneath the skin will show through and leave that shadow. Pulling it out takes care of that, thus waxing.

It's better to go to a salon and get it done professionally the first time, so that you learn how it's done and don't tear your skin instead of the hair. ^_^

Link Arroway
05-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Waxing isn't an option for me, I can't drive yet >_>, don't have money, dunno how, and am scared! Altho i'll be more encouraged if I get more razor burn, ouchies..
but then what about sunless tanning spray! X'D

Setsuna22
05-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Link Arroway
should I like shave my arms o_O
or do something about my eyebrows.. they are thick and dark and all

Argh! Do NOT shave your arms. This is a very big mistake that many people make. Once you cut the hair it, of course, will grow back... Unfortunately it will grow back much much darker, and be an even bigger pain in the butt to take care of in the future! About eyebrows>> Just get them done where ever you get your hair cut... Most salons do it, although, it is a little painful. They do look better after they're waxed, though! either that or get some tweezers, and pluck them yourself. This is still painful, but from experience, there is no non-painful way to go about it.. (shaving eyebrows looks crappy)

Link Arroway
05-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Alright, thanks. Altho, how fast do eyebrows grow back or whatever? I don't wanna have No eyebrows >_> but like yeah.

Setsuna22
05-01-2003, 07:01 PM
you dont wax the whole eyebrow, just the underneath part.... And depending on how much you wax/pluck off, the more/less defined the arch will be. Even if you DO end up making a mistake and end up losing your eyebrows, you can always use an eyebrow pencil and draw them on! It really doesnt look that bad, really! And the pencils are inexpensive. It is a pain when the hairs DO start to grow back, but I just keep plucking so it doesnt look bizarre!

Link Arroway
05-01-2003, 07:11 PM
ahhhhhhh.. lol okay!

number18
05-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Shaving your legs...I know I'm late on the thread but I'll add my two cents.

Things to remember when shaving? First, when you're in the shower, let the water get into your skin for a little bit (I save shaving last, after shampooing and washing my body). If you have a bath scrubbie, use it on your legs to exfoliate. Then, shave. I have gotten into the habit of not using cream on my legs, but I'm a barbarian and would suggest using SOMEthing...shampoo, shave cream. Whether you use men's or women's really doesn't matter. Just look for what matters to you (sensitive skin, etc). So after you shave, while your skin is still moist, put lotion on it...but I've found that if it's the fancy scented lotion, my skin sometimes gets a burning sensation (probably from not using shave cream), so I use an unscented lotion. And yes, Kris mentioned something good - to shave in one stroke, not over and over again on one spot. The Venus and Mach 3 razors are excellent...they just have different grips. And since I live with four other guys, (who all have mach 3s), I just use the razor from the mach 3 on my Venus. They're interchangeable. The same company makes them.

As for handling your eyebrows (hijacking thread here for a bit), I have always plucked mine. Don't (DO NOT!!!!) shave your eyebrows. This girl I used to know in high school would shave her eyebrows and she ALWAYS had an unattractive stubble left. :P Also, since razors are so big, it would be hard to shave in a precise manner, unless I guess you used those mini-razors...but as I said, don't even bother! My friend plucked my eyebrows for me the first time, and I've always just kept things trim myself after that...so I might suggest you having it done professionally (whoever I'm talking to) for the first time, and just follow up afterwards yourself (if you think you can - but it's fairly easy.). You'll be able to see which hairs need to go. You can also use an eyebrow pencil to define the arch and shape of your brow before you pluck, so you know where to go. With eyebrows, every little hair can matter when it comes to the core shape of your brow...so removing one hair here might make your eyebrow look funny or uneven...best to always make sure before you yank it and remember it's better to not fool around with plucking stray hairs ABOVE your eyebrow. Make sure you have a NICE pair of tweezers too, preferably with a slanted, sharp tip. Gripping the hairs is SO much easier with good tweezers. They can go from 3 to 18 bucks (the 18 dollar ones rule). And it's best to do them right after you get out from the shower, when the pores are still kinda opened from the hot water and whatnot. They'll be red for a half hour or so after, so do it with ample time before you have somewhere to go. Also, plucking doesn't really hurt. It doesn't hurt BAD. It's just a sting, and once you do it yourself, it's no big problem. Plucking the hairs closer to your nose may make you sneeze (for some reason it does for me) but that's all the problems I've ever had. Just make sure you pull the skin taught if you're worried about it hurting.

Bah...sorry for the hijack. Hope my lateass response is worth something to someone.

moonclarinet
05-04-2003, 12:15 PM
heehee saw this thread and had to jump on in...

first my personal experience has beenthat only shaving is for me. i tired a nair lotion once, and the patch test was HORRIBLE. i ended up with burned, cellophane-like skin AND the hair was mostly still there, although i followed the directions exactly. i don't know if this was just an allergic reaction or something (although i know people who have tried other, similar things and had the same results)

i just very recently tried waxing...but it hurt so F*ing bad i could never do two entire legs. it was fine for my eyebrows though, didn't hurt any more than plucking does.

shaving takes a little more time, but i agree with a lot of people that the Venus razor is awesome. i used to use the sensor excel and switched to the venus for variety and loved it from the first shave. the only annoying part about it is the cost of the refills...just 4 more blades costs like 7 dollars at the grocery!

and btw thanks everyone for all those great tips for in grown hairs and irritation...i've got some issues with those little beasts, hopefully some of your suggestions will do the trick!

Menchi
05-04-2003, 03:38 PM
moon, it sounds like ya were allergic to nair, i never had a problem with it myself though. guess i am one of the lucky ones who arent? i dont know *Shrug* somebody (pls pardon my terrible terrible memory sometimes) mentioned if ya take an elextric razor to keep it short as possible then a normal razor makes the task alot easier and faster.

vyrax778
05-05-2003, 02:04 AM
Okay! I've finally figured out how to do it without the pain^^ Thanks for all your help everyone ^_^ But, whenever I shave my legs, they feel really cold! Brrrrrrrrr

im feeling that pain now but man they do feel nice and smooooth.

Agrias
05-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Hehe, I envy all the girls and guys that have really light hair or hair that doesn't grow back fast on their legs. :p The hair on my legs is black, and when it grows back it grows pretty fast. x.x Does anyone know how to slow down hair growth?

Yeah, I might have to shave my legs for ACen.. depends on whether I wear black or nude pantyhose with my cheongsam X.x

Lady
05-05-2003, 02:52 PM
My hair grows fast, too, Agrias. The only time it's taken longer to come back is when I've used the Nads method multiple times. First time I did it the hair was back in about 5 days (stubble, but still hair). Now when I use it I'm clean for a little over a week, and the hair is growing back finer, thinner, and sparser*nods*

Then again, there's always the permanent removal method if you REALLY want it gone and gone for good (but man is it expensive*eyes swirl*)

-Lady

Sixshot
06-29-2004, 05:44 AM
I don't mind shaving my legs, it takes a little while but it isn't so bad, but I do like the smooth feeling on my legs aftewords so in my opinion it's all worth it.

animeBecky21
06-29-2004, 10:51 PM
I may as well jump in...

First of all, if you're shaving for the first time ever or haven't in months, get an electric trimmer of some sort and shorten that stuff down as close as you can. I didn't and got horrible razor burn on the bit I did, plus it takes forever - you have to get the hair off the razor usually by wiping every short stroke. (I also being blonde can make my arm hair look thinner and less obvious by trimming it with the trimmer. Then it's still there, but doesnt show as well. Most girls have some hair on their arms too, so no sense shaving it except for shows or special occaisions. I can't see where it grows back any thicker. I do keep the backs of my hands and fingers shaved of the little light hair that grows there, though).

Next, when I am done I use the Jergens lotion that's supposed to slow hair growth - there are two or three brands which claim this and prices vary. I find if I use it on my face when I shave close I can go almost 18 hours before the shadow is obvious. I use another brand for the face (St. Ives) because the Jergens stings a little more there, but it doesn't bother my legs.

I generally just use soap, and go over some spots in a couple of directions - the only way to get it really smooth is usually to go against the grain, but that's also the fastest way to cause irritation. Not much can do there. Nair never did much for me, it would take the hair off eventually but never very deep and shaving actually does a better job.

I usually use a cheap disposable Gillette 2-blade womens razor, which is about the same as the mens. I keep a Venus for touchup and work on stomach and chest, Mach III turbo for the face. I don't like the Venus as well, even the fancy one, although the handle is nicer - the Mach III and Venus blades will interchange with each other, so there is no reason to buy both kinds of handle unless you want to have two razors handy.

My upper chest is my trouble spot. I can never get it smooth without irritating it - the best I was ever able to do was to use magic powder on it (this is a product specifically sold for black men to use on their face instead of shaving), rinse it COMPLETELY away, then go over with a mach III or Venus. But even then I got some red marks. Lotion helped some. For those of you that the Nair does not help, this may work for you. About $2 a can, mix with water and spread on following the directions. Don't leave it where kids/pets can get into it, it has Lye in it just like Drano does. For me, what it left behind was softened up enough that once I had rinsed off and gone through some of my shower basics, when I came back with a razor it cut it more easily so there was less irritation from it.

Don't shave if you're going to go out and do hard work. If you sweat after a recent shave it stings like heck when it gets into the little cuts which you're bound to have some of even if they don't bleed.

I do have one place I don't normally shave, because when the hair comes back it always itches and is irritated. So I leave it alone unless I happen to be planning something it might be hanging out - which would be my bottom cheeks. My guess is sitting on it has something to do with that. Probably TMI for most of you but I mention only because I am sure I am not the only one who has that kind of problem.

Most of the tips above are good too, I think your milage may vary and it will take some practice to sort out whats best for you. I go around in shorts a lot in front of family and no one's commented on the lack of leg hair, so I wouldn't worry that much unless your family is nosy.

Finally, don't be afraid of Sheer To Waist pantyhose. I've worn some wild outfits, even thong-like things, OVER top of a pair of sheer hose... and if you're wearing fishnets they'll be more comfortable and look better over some, especially the larger patterns that your toes will otherwise try to poke through. If you can get the hose a size larger than it says for you, do it, as they'll be more forgiving if you happen to snag them - they ALWAYS run eventually, but if they're not already stretched to the limit wearing them, you can get away with hooking them on things sometimes if you catch yourself fast enough to not tear through them. They say you should tuck them in the freezer for a night or so before wearing them, too, it seems to help a little. Clear nail polish on the ends if you do happen to get a run stops it good. They're great for hiding red bumps and if you happen to be like me, usually out in the sun in T-shirt and jeans so my only tan parts are arms/neck/face - a tan pair makes your legs match a little better. They can also be helpful in hiding the goodies, I mentioned that some in a post under the tucking thread. Heck I once even did bright purple tights with fishnets over, for a different look.

I had some thigh-highs from Hot Topic I got and those suckers were so flimsy the one I tried ran within seconds of putting it on - close as I could tell it snagged on stubble of leg hair b/c I hadn't shaved in a couple days. Fishnets are usually good about not running and if you have pantyhose under, a run doesn't show as obviously. Usually you can get away with a little smaller thigh-high, a lot are one size fits all, they just don't pull up your leg quite as far. Usually you get what you pay for, the $10 ones are good for a number of wearings if you are careful, the cheap ones (some I got for a buck) were running just from some rough callus edges on my heels not long after getting them on and getting shoes on over them. The ones i mentioned above are an exception, and I don't have much experience with Victorias Secret or Fredericks - but they are a good source for thigh-highs in larger sizes.

dani
06-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Preparing for the con this coming weekend, today I went again for the "combo" legs, bikini, underarm and chest waxing. It seems the lady took even less time than before. I was done in under an hour, and she was being very detailed.

I can't say it's completely painless, but the results are well worth it.

If you will be at Toronto Trek, feel free to come check out the results :)

vyrax778
06-29-2004, 11:56 PM
hmm this thread reminds me I need to shave my legs for AX. hops off comp to do it
Im glad I broke down and bought a Venus razor works so much better.

StrawberryKitty
06-30-2004, 12:04 AM

We um shave often enough that the more you do it the slower the hair grows back and as in shaving time I never timed myself but five min at max and thats if I dont cheat and use nair..

Hotaru Tomoe
06-30-2004, 01:20 AM
I just have this womens electric razor I use on my legs, it takes a lot less time for me, because when I use a razor I tend to go slow and go over the spots about three times. ^^;

dani
06-30-2004, 01:26 AM
On my face, legs and chest, any electric or razor shaving lasts at MOST a single day before starting to show some black dots, or stubble, or shadow, or ingrowns.

To make it worst, the closest I shave, the worst I look the next day, with blackness too obvious to ignore but too short to shave again.

So for 3 day cons I find waxing works the best for me. If you can get away with something less painful and expensive... I envy you :)

Viko Arts
06-30-2004, 02:21 AM
We um shave often enough that the more you do it the slower the hair grows back and as in shaving time I never timed myself but five min at max and thats if I dont cheat and use nair..

Shaving doesn't affect hair growth in the least, from what I know, only waxing slows down growth.

Jen-neko
06-30-2004, 02:51 AM
Actually, when you shave, hair tends to grow back thicker/darker than before...=o_O= The hair on my arms used to be very light, but after I started shaving, it grew back much darker. If you use stuff like Nair (which I use, 'cause it only takes 4 minutes per "area" =^^=), the it has stuff in it so when hair grows back, it's not as thick as before, so you don't have to use it as often. They also make certain lotions that you can apply to skin that make hair grow back thinner so it's less noticable.

I still use a razor for some things (like if I miss a spot with the Nair, and bikini area), but I use Nair on my arms, legs, and underarms. I've never felt any burning/tingling/discomfort using it, either :) It's much faster than shaving (especially when you have a really thick layer of hair, like I usually do when I actually bother to remove it :P), and you don't have to worry about those nasty cuts :X

Hyena
06-30-2004, 04:09 AM
I don't do it for crossplay (I don't crossplay anyways) but I do shave. I am a noted enemy of bodily hair, so I shave more than my legs!

More like everything, save for the hair on my head? (Alright, i don't go as far as to do my arms either.)
Plus, it makes wearing vinyl pants easier. XD

Midori_Julie
06-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Actually, when you shave, hair tends to grow back thicker/darker than before...=o_O= The hair on my arms used to be very light, but after I started shaving, it grew back much darker.

It's my understanding that hair doen't really grow back thicker or darker than before. You hair is genetically design to grow the same way, no matter how often you shave it. It just seems darker because the new hair has not been exposed to the sun and other elements as long. just my .02 :)

Tirian
06-30-2004, 04:22 PM
My guess has always been that it's a half-truth. If the hair has got to break through the skin then it's going to be a little thicker and coarser than normal but after that it goes back to being the normal sort of hair. That's what I noticed from the few times that I grew a beard in my life -- the first little bit was scratchy but once that got trimmed off the rest of the hair was soft.

I've never thought that shaving your legs or chest or back was painful at all. (For the record, I use a beard trimmer with no attachments to get rid of most of it and then a used Mach 3 razor to remove the last of it.) In fact, a few times a year I'll get disgusted with the body hair and use the beard trimmer to take it off whether I'm crossdressing or not.

But I draw the line at my armpits -- that itches for weeks at it grows back in.

Gothic_Catboy
06-30-2004, 07:47 PM
The next time I get it done, I'll most likely Wax my chest and legs... nair burns... so much.

chibi_kitsune
06-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Well since i'm a girl and be shaving my legs for years I have gotten used to it. I'm use these new razor called Intuition cause I don't need to buy shavening cream cause it has everything built in the razor.

Azzuri
07-01-2004, 03:32 AM
The reason hair seems to grow back coarser after shaving is that instead of having a tapered end, it has a thick round end which is the same size as the base, as that is what you left there when you chopped its head off ;)

That's why it doesn't happen with waxing and nair, they actually take out most of the hair, not just the soft part. Remeber that when you wax, the hair has to grow out of the skin much farther than anything any shaved hair ever will (in fact shaved hair doesn't need to go through the skin most of the time, as the razor doesn't normally cut under the skin, that would HURT)

Dexter
07-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Body hair is a beautiful thing, no matter what society says about it. Being as much in touch with my true nature as I possibly can be I find that the natural hair that grows on me is a beautiful thing, and shouldn’t be cursed upon. Of course, I do shave, but I’ve been known to let it grow out to the point where I’d look like some sort of a mountain man. I feel cozy when I am hairy, and it’s such a shame that society doesn’t approve of the natural way our bodies performs. It’s incredibly depressing to think of all those girls that shave their legs because society tells them it is vile if they do not.

dani
07-01-2004, 06:35 PM
No need to be so drepressed. Some people like shaved as much as you like hairy. Don't assume all leg-shaving girls are pityful society drones. Pursuing what YOU feel beautiful doesn't imply looking down on people with different taste.
Enjoy...

chibi_kitsune
07-01-2004, 07:08 PM
No need to be so drepressed. Some people like shaved as much as you like hairy. Don't assume all leg-shaving girls are pityful society drones. Pursuing what YOU feel beautiful doesn't imply looking down on people with different taste.
Enjoy...

I shave my legs cause I don't like the feel of hair on them, nobody told that I have to, I wanted to. Like dani said it's all about having different taste and their's nothing wrong with that.

Dexter
07-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Don't assume all leg-shaving girls are pityful society drones.

I didn’t mean to apply that that was the way I felt about all the females. I’m misunderstood more than I imagine, I guess. My sister loves to look her best, and she feels like shaving her legs helps in that element. I think I look better when I’m hairy, so maybe that’s why I feel more cozy when I am so. Anyway, don’t assume that I assume something that I don’t assume.

Jen-neko
07-02-2004, 12:01 AM
I know how you feel about not shaving--heck, I don't bother to shave/use Nair 90% of the time (whether my "hairy" parts will be exposed or not). First of all, it's time-consuming. Also, after I've removed the hair, I may like how my legs feel, but then they feel weird against my sheets/clothing/etc., and that kinda bothers me :P So yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes it's better not to shave. But sometimes the hair just gets on my nerves, so I like to remove it. *shrugs* Society can take a hike, as far as I'm concerned--it's my body after all :P

animeBecky21
07-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Well, I dont like body hair, so I remove it the best I can. Legs etc especially. If you like it, more power to you, but it's a big turnoff to me. I figured if I expect girls to be doing that I aught to at least do it myself, and I'm used to how it feels. More comfortable in the summer, for sure.

CNash
07-02-2004, 08:22 PM
I've dabbled in shaving, though I can't do too much as I wear shorts and my parents would freak out. I'm limited mainly to my thighs/upper leg area.

Yes, I get ingrown hairs, and they're a pain. But I don't plan on shaving too much, at least not until I can get out of this damn house...

*sigh* To experience smooth, hairless legs...ahh...

*daydreams*

*realizes that it's 1am*

*falls asleep; really dreams*

The Xenos
07-03-2004, 03:00 PM
While I'm not technically crossplaying, I am intending to play a very hairless and rather feminine bishonen next year. I've already been pondering how to do this. The main problem being I am a dark haired and very hairy guy and the character has white hair on his hear and is otherwise rather hairless.

I am going to bleach my hair which should be long enough by then. I'm cutting it somewhat short again now for a current costume. My head hair shouldn't be a problem. I'm unsure of what to do with my chest, bit on my upper back, arms, and legs.. Heck, even my face grows too damn fast and I am worried about a shadow. Might have to even carry an electric razor with me to the con.

For the arms, legs, and oh so fuzzy chest I was wondering about hair removing prodcuts like Nair or that Stop and Spray stuff. Any one know which ones are best? I saw some talk of it ealier. How long will the stuff last. Like if I use it on Friday, will it last the day or three? I of course would try it before hand on a spot. Any suggestions?

Of course, I honestly don't have to shave or dye anything other than my head and facial and neck hair as the costume would normall cover it. Still, if I can, I want to go all out to become this character. Plus when would I become a blonde/white haired guy with little body hair?

too damn fuzzy for his own good,
-Xenos

Jen-neko
07-03-2004, 05:06 PM
You could get it waxed--I hear that lasts up to two weeks. They make Nair for men, too, but I'm not sure if it's any good. The Nair I use lasts a week at the most. As far as using Nair goes, I don't get a really bad burning/tingling sensation, but other people do. You should test it first to be sure you don't react negatively to it. As for the Epil stop & spray, my friend tried that--she said it hardly worked, plus it burned bigtime, so I would advise against that.

When I used to shave, I would have stubble growing back the next day, so I quit that. But it all depends on how fast your hair grows. If it grows fast, you should probably wax/use Nair (depending on your "Test" results), not shave.

rei_hino
07-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Shaving can really hurt, but waxing hurts even more >_< I usually shave but I think hair removal cream works best because even though the smell can make you gag, it doesn't hurt (only if you have a bad skin reaction) and it gives a smooth finish. ALthough it doesn't last as long as I would like it to, it's a good choice^^

Azzuri
07-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Waxing and other hair-yanking methods of removal only really hurt a lot the first time. Subsequent times it stings a tiny bit but it is barely worth worrying about. It does tend to leave your skin irritated for a day or two after though, so make sure you do it a couple of days before you need the result.

animeBecky21
07-04-2004, 01:35 AM
General consensus is that Epil Stop & Spray is a rip-off; for every one person it may result in some sembalance of actually working on, there's 50 or 100 who get nothing except burns from it. This comes from what I remember reading in how-to's on another board. It seems as though there was some rumblings of FDA or BBB getting after them; the stuff was reformulated at least once but without much improvment. I don't have any personal experience with it, but I don't intend to try it either. If anyone wants links send me a private message, if I can't dig it up specifically I can point you to the site I read it from -

One thing, if you don't know how fast your hair grows, shave a small patch like you were applying a band-aid (cause they hurt a lot less coming off without the hair!) and then wait and see. For me, if I went about 4 weeks without shaving you wouldn't be able to tell I had, although it wouldn't be quite as long as if I never had.. thats not really that long of a time, to have to hide your shaved bits from the world outside of the con. Doing a test patch may also give you some idea what can be expected as far as razor irritation and so forth. One problem I noticed, and an early reason for continuing to shave, was that it itched a LOT from about 3 to about 8 days after shaving. if anyone has tips for relieving that, it might be good to post them here for the folks who want to do it as a one-shot deal.

Animeloilpop
07-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Well I have bumpy leg before i started shaving but some times shaving make it worst so i've been known not to shave for month at a time. That and the fact that i have a native american and black backround cuz hair grows slower. But we have dark hair and some times I get that shadow affect(a pain in the a$$). As for the bumpy I sometimes use coco butter it make the skin clearer and make scar disapper^_^ and I have alot of scar^O^

^_^Animeloilpop

BIOJECT
07-05-2004, 08:45 PM
I seriously had the worst shaving experience ever! I shaved both of my legs completely annnnnd... my butt. :P I'm disgusted to say that I have extremely hairy limbs and... a hairy butt. :( Well I shaved it all off, took over an hour, and had, "THE RASH FROM HELL"! It was so bad that only taking cold showers and applying many layers of lotion could ever stop the itch momentarily. Usually it got so bad that I could barely wear pants and wasn't able to leave the house because I needed to stay near the shower and lotion often. It lasted about 5 days.

Jen-neko
07-06-2004, 02:45 AM
That's really weird....sounds almost more like an allergic reaction to the shaving cream/gel/whatever than the actual process of shaving. Usually the only side effects of the actual shaving process are nicks/cuts, razor burn and sometimes bumps/ingrown hairs (they look like little pimples).

Next time something like that happens, use anti-itch lotion/cream, or Aveeno. Even if it wasn't an allergic reaction, the collodial oatmeal in Aveeno is good for relieving itch (I used to break out a lot as a kid from just about any kind of soap I'd use, so my mom would buy packages of Aveeno powder, dissolve them in a bath, and have me soak in that--that's about the only thing that would take away the itch).

Tsuchi
07-06-2004, 01:44 PM
I have never shaved a day in my life but i have really dark hiar, head and on limbs. I was actually picked on so much by kids at my school for haveing visable hairy arms that I decied to buy NADs. It's like waxing minus the heat. you do have to heat it up and get the gely stuff spreadable but it works great. I felt no pain for the most part. My momther actually once the one who applied and pulled off the strips.
Supposbly NADs also help stop hair from growing back. after a year or 2 of use your hair just will stop growing back.

I never used it long enough to find out. But now for my legs i just use 4min Nair. I too am comfertable with being slightly hairy, but i always ware pants if i haven't nair'd. I don't feel comfertable walking around outside with hairy legs when every other girl my age is completely smooth.

*shrugs* it's just me.
but yes i recomend 4 min Nair smooth it on and 4 mins later wipe it off, works for long hair down to hair about 3cm in length.