PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts II: Riku costume (questions)

Darth Maligna
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Okay, I'm doing my first all-out cosplay for this Halloween and ACen '07, and I'm wanting to go for Riku from the end of KH2. The pants are simple enough, and the shoes shouldn't be hard, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about how to do his shirt and vest.

I'm a fairly competent seamstress myself, and I've got more than one experienced relative I can rope into helping me, so if anyone can rec a pattern to work from that's great, but it would be even better if someone could point to ready-made garments that I can use as a base (simply because I've got a whole pile of fabric and patterns already piled up on my floor as I type this :toothy: ).

So, what did those of you who've done this costume start from?

Kuro Yue
08-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Sorry for the length!

THE VEST IS EVIL.

><

I don't know about modding any existing clothing for the vest (although you could DEFINITELY mod something for the shirt, as it's really easy to add a zipper to a shirt if you're careful).

I used a pattern for men's shirts (Simplicity, of course), and I MUST stress to you that if you decide to do the same, MEASURE YOUR SHOULDERS. And then add about an inch of seam allowance (which is what I tend to do). The first time I made the vest, I didn't measure the seam allowance, and it was just absolutely horrible.

As well, you'll need to fold the pattern upwards a bit, as Riku's vest is quite a bit smaller length-wise than the pattern.

And adding some fabric to the armholes is also good, since the pattern for the T-shirt was designed to HANG LOOOOOOOW. ><

As for the collar, you just have to fold the corners in, add a bit of a seam allowance to both ends on both sides (because it separates from the main part at the front), and only cut out one. Speaking of seam allowances for the collar, add the same size of seam allowance to the main part in the same spot as well.

BAH. Also, I recommend that you sew the yellow part and the white part as the same piece. I tried to get the 'reversible' look, and if you don't have any previous experience with it, bad things happen. ><

I'm still in the process of figuring out how to get the yellow part on the collar as one piece (and I honestly don't think it's possible).

Sorry about the rant, but I hope it helped! I'd like to save at least one person from problems that the stupid vest can cause.

Darth Maligna
08-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Excellent advice, and thanks for being so specific! Having some pointers on all those little things should make this project much easier. I originally chose this version of Riku because I figured that since I'm a poor college student it would be nice to splurge on something that I could also wear out and about on a normal basis, but I've quickly come to realize that this vest just might end up being the sewing project from hell. :bigcry: (Of course, it'll probably seem like a prance in the meadows compared to the binding practice I'm starting on so that I won't be crossplaying as Alternate Universe C-Cup Implant Riku. I can feel the pain already. :rolleyes: )

Kuro Yue
08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Either way, the vest is definitely a learning experience. I wish you the best of luck with constructing it!

Shye
10-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Hello everyone, I want to make a Riku costume...you know after Sora finds him and he's wearing his normal clothes and also I want to make a Organization jacket thing. Since I don't know how cold it'll be out. Better to be safe then sorry, right?

Anyways, I need help making it. I don't habe anything yet besides the pictures, but I've been getting some ideas. I just need to know how to make everything so I can get it right. My mom just wants to buy me some jeans and put the pocket things on. Is that okay to do?

Please, I really need help getting this done! I want to be Riku so badly!

X affinity
10-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Riku is so cool, I'm making him as well! Making such a cosplay can be a little intimidating, and everyone on cosplay is all about helping, but your questions are a little broad. We won't be able to help if you just ask, "How do I make this whole costume?"
A good thing to do would be give us your experience and budget and then tell us how much you can handle. Also, ask some specific questions- exactly what you don't think you could figure out on your own (or with a little research. There are lots and lots of Kingdom Hearts threads on this site ^.^)
To start, if you don't sew, then check goodwill or the Salvation Army for clothes you can use or alter. If you CAN sew, then try searching online, at a sewing store, or at Wal*Mart for patterns you can use. And with the jeans, it's perfectly okay to just sew pockets onto store-bought pants. x3 I wouldn't be suprised if the majority of Riku cosplayers do just that. No one want to sew a whole new pair of jeans when you can simply buy them at the store!

So, if you have anymore specific questions, please put them up (but first, research the forums a little!) We'll be glad to help you out ^.^

Good luck! Can't wait to see this cosplay.

Shye
10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Riku is so cool, I'm making him as well! Making such a cosplay can be a little intimidating, and everyone on cosplay is all about helping, but your questions are a little broad. We won't be able to help if you just ask, "How do I make this whole costume?"
A good thing to do would be give us your experience and budget and then tell us how much you can handle. Also, ask some specific questions- exactly what you don't think you could figure out on your own (or with a little research. There are lots and lots of Kingdom Hearts threads on this site ^.^)
To start, if you don't sew, then check goodwill or the Salvation Army for clothes you can use or alter. If you CAN sew, then try searching online, at a sewing store, or at Wal*Mart for patterns you can use. And with the jeans, it's perfectly okay to just sew pockets onto store-bought pants. x3 I wouldn't be suprised if the majority of Riku cosplayers do just that. No one want to sew a whole new pair of jeans when you can simply buy them at the store!

So, if you have anymore specific questions, please put them up (but first, research the forums a little!) We'll be glad to help you out ^.^

Good luck! Can't wait to see this cosplay.

Well...you see we're making the top from the start and I need help getting that part down. I mean, do I add some cotten to make it look more like a vest and all?

Kuro Yue
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
How do you mean, 'add some cotton'? If you can't describe it, could you draw a crude diagram or somesuch?

Most KH2!Riku cosplayers do indeed just sew pockets onto jeans (I think I'm the only one who hasn't done this).

X affinity
10-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm assuming you mean "add cotton" to make the vest "fluffy" (Such technical terms x3) Right, well, what you'll need to do is cut the vest pattern from a top layer of fabric (outside vest fabric) and a lower layer, which is lining (usually fleece is used <3) And then when you sew the lining and the outside layer together, you'll put cotton called batting in between (batting is the cotton you find between layers of a quilt, or a thick blanket. Batting comes in rolls in most fabric stores and Wal*Mart <3)

I hope that answers your question correctly! Batting is like flat cotton. It comes in sheets and that's why it'd be good for making your vest "puff". Please, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask ^.^ <3

CRUX
10-03-2006, 03:06 AM
ello ello fellow Riku cosplayers :] I'm not much of a Riku-in-a-costume myself... but I would like to offer some help if I could.

Batting. Interesting that that would be brought up. dispite the fact that it is a 'flat cotton', it is still pretty poofy. Much too poofy to be used as a vest for Riku. Poofy just like a quilt.

well... there are two differences from these two random pictures I picked out.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/Icykimi/Riku.jpg
&
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/Akari513/KH2/59d731c2.jpg

the first one; the vest lays more parallel and flat with his body than the second one; haha I'm not sure if there's the wind-blowing effect in the second one, but it certainly seems to poof out much more too me. Batting should go with the second option if you're going for that.

However, for the first one I would use heavy silk nylon, double layered. I haven't used nylon for this sort of thing before, but last time I experimented, it is heavy enough and thich enough to give a poof feel and look if double layered. If you have ever had a nylong jacket, you will notice that sometimes the sleeves are double folded, and when you run your hand over it, there is a heavy, thick feel. :] that would be what I would go for.

.....& yet somehow I get the feeling that people wouldn't even notice or care if you didn't sew the pockets onto the jeans... do you sometimes get that feeling too? For the miniscual details of your costumes... they're usually... ignored o.o

Shye
10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm assuming you mean "add cotton" to make the vest "fluffy" (Such technical terms x3) Right, well, what you'll need to do is cut the vest pattern from a top layer of fabric (outside vest fabric) and a lower layer, which is lining (usually fleece is used <3) And then when you sew the lining and the outside layer together, you'll put cotton called batting in between (batting is the cotton you find between layers of a quilt, or a thick blanket. Batting comes in rolls in most fabric stores and Wal*Mart <3)

I hope that answers your question correctly! Batting is like flat cotton. It comes in sheets and that's why it'd be good for making your vest "puff". Please, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask ^.^ <3

Yeah....sorry...XD I'm not really good at asking questions. I get worried I'll misspell something and that everyone will hate me for it. Sorry.

I'll talk to my mom and see if that's what she wants to do. Since I'm only 13 she doesn't want me doing this on my own. Not really a good idea anyways. I get mad at it and start breaking things.
I have a bad temper sometimes....

Shye
10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I still need some help with.

Kuro Yue
10-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Some help with. . .What? The questions you asked before have been answered.

Michi
10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't bump your thread, Shye. Just be patient.

Shye
10-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Don't bump your thread, Shye. Just be patient.
I'm not bumping it....I really needed help on getting this done.

We got a new wig, but it might not get here on time and we have started on the costume yet.

Will the picture work for the coat? If we add a zipper and fix it up some.

Kuro Yue
10-07-2006, 01:48 PM
o.O On so many levels, no. It's cinched at the waist, which makes it very form-fitting. I'm assuming you're referring to the black shirt, yes? Is this a picture for a pattern, or an actual garment? If it's just a pattern, then the pattern can be modified a titch so that it doesn't have the *shudder* low V-neck of death. However, the way it's built would be difficult to modify unless the person modifying it was very, very skilled.

Shye
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
o.O On so many levels, no. It's cinched at the waist, which makes it very form-fitting. I'm assuming you're referring to the black shirt, yes? Is this a picture for a pattern, or an actual garment? If it's just a pattern, then the pattern can be modified a titch so that it doesn't have the *shudder* low V-neck of death. However, the way it's built would be difficult to modify unless the person modifying it was very, very skilled.

I gotta cut it and add a zipper in so it won't be a V-neck.

Kuro Yue
10-07-2006, 05:35 PM
But it's a pattern, right?

Shye
10-07-2006, 06:33 PM
But it's a pattern, right?
No, we brought it and that's what I'm gonna wear. We're gonna fix it up and then I'm using it.

Kuro Yue
10-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Ouch. If you plan on just cutting down the middle and adding a zipper to get rid of the V-neck, it won't work. If you draft a pattern for adding some fabric (possibly taken from the skirt or sleeves) to the V-neck to make the rest of the shirt, and add a standing collar, and rip out the midsection and make a new one with fabric from the skirt/sleeves, then yeah, it'll work.

Good luck.

Shye
10-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Ouch. If you plan on just cutting down the middle and adding a zipper to get rid of the V-neck, it won't work. If you draft a pattern for adding some fabric (possibly taken from the skirt or sleeves) to the V-neck to make the rest of the shirt, and add a standing collar, and rip out the midsection and make a new one with fabric from the skirt/sleeves, then yeah, it'll work.

Good luck.

Why won't it work?

Lisu-chan
10-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Because the fabric needs to get from somewhere!

Hmmm... no not going to work... Let's see... You want to use it for... let's see.. the black shirt under his vest right? Why don't you buy a non stretch shirt, no arms, and alter that! One with a turtle neck... or you make the whole shirt from scrap it's actually pretty easy! I even did it without a pattern, you could use an old shirt and use it as your pattern! Or go to a fabric store, I'm sure they want to help you!

Good luck!

Shye
10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Because the fabric needs to get from somewhere!

Hmmm... no not going to work... Let's see... You want to use it for... let's see.. the black shirt under his vest right? Why don't you buy a non stretch shirt, no arms, and alter that! One with a turtle neck... or you make the whole shirt from scrap it's actually pretty easy! I even did it without a pattern, you could use an old shirt and use it as your pattern! Or go to a fabric store, I'm sure they want to help you!

Good luck!

Um...sorry I don't understand that.

Lisu-chan
10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Hmm yes, I tend to have that since my english is rather poor... Sorry! (I'm Dutch)

What I meant is, just like the others said, it's not going to work! There's a loss of fabric where normally the V-neck is... You need to fill it up, like Mukino Kuneka said, or make your own... It's quite an easy shirt too! Just make sure you have the right zipper! I didn't use a pattern for it, so I cannot share or anything. But I don't think a pattern is needed for this shirt. I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Shye
10-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Hmm yes, I tend to have that since my english is rather poor... Sorry! (I'm Dutch)

What I meant is, just like the others said, it's not going to work! There's a loss of fabric where normally the V-neck is... You need to fill it up, like Mukino Kuneka said, or make your own... It's quite an easy shirt too! Just make sure you have the right zipper! I didn't use a pattern for it, so I cannot share or anything. But I don't think a pattern is needed for this shirt. I hope this helps!

Good luck!
We're talking about the Organization jacket.

Kuro Yue
10-08-2006, 11:05 PM
O.O We are? I blindly assumed the topic was still concerning the ending outfit.

Ah well. My advice still applies. What I'm talking about, regarding how just adding a zipper wouldn't work, is that you'd end up wandering around with the zipper open, showing the majority of your chest, and if you tried to close it, you'd rip out the seams.

You'd have to add a hood, too, which isn't all that hard, if you can use a coat/hoodie that has the right length of hood that you want and draw something similar. If you want, I can provide a scan of the pattern that I modified to include a hood for my own Org. trench.

The fabric seems pretty sturdy, based on the picture, so I think that it would work. You would definitely have enough fabric from modifying the sleeves to accuracy to make a decent hood.

Shye
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
O.O We are? I blindly assumed the topic was still concerning the ending outfit.

Ah well. My advice still applies. What I'm talking about, regarding how just adding a zipper wouldn't work, is that you'd end up wandering around with the zipper open, showing the majority of your chest, and if you tried to close it, you'd rip out the seams.

You'd have to add a hood, too, which isn't all that hard, if you can use a coat/hoodie that has the right length of hood that you want and draw something similar. If you want, I can provide a scan of the pattern that I modified to include a hood for my own Org. trench.

The fabric seems pretty sturdy, based on the picture, so I think that it would work. You would definitely have enough fabric from modifying the sleeves to accuracy to make a decent hood.

I thoughts what you were talking about...

juumou
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Instead of nit-picking on how people are misunderstanding you, I think you should visit this forum:
http://forums.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Try researching basic sewing.
People don't typically buy a dress and then attach a zipper. You may want to save yourself and consider buying a costume off of eBay or commissioning someone until your sewing skills are up to your par.

Shye
10-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Instead of nit-picking on how people are misunderstanding you, I think you should visit this forum:
http://forums.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Try researching basic sewing.
People don't typically buy a dress and then attach a zipper. You may want to save yourself and consider buying a costume off of eBay or commissioning someone until your sewing skills are up to your par.
I'm not a newbie! You shouldn't get into something that has nothing to do with you.

Besides, they're like $150. I'm 13, I can't buy off of ebay and my parents don't want me spending that much on something I can make with a my mom.

kairis_twin1456
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
hey, if you send me the pix of it, i could help you make it. i don't use patterns, so it shouldn't be hard. if you don't believe me, i'll put up the pic of kairi's dress from KH2 up (though the fabric is a bit of a darker pink). but anyways, if you need help with that at all, just ask, and i'll answer.
~red~

Kuro Yue
10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Juumou has a point, though, about not attaching a zipper to a dress. How much did that thing cost, anyway? I'd bet that a pattern and some twill fabric wouldn't cost too much more. . .

Shye
10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Juumou has a point, though, about not attaching a zipper to a dress. How much did that thing cost, anyway? I'd bet that a pattern and some twill fabric wouldn't cost too much more. . .
We're just making it now.

Byn
10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Shye, you don't need to get snarky with people when they're trying to help you. Juumou didn't even accuse you of being a newbie...They were just saying that basic knowledge of sewing would help you and that the dress would make a more awkward organization coat, even if the zipper and hood are sewn on properly.

Not only that, but you get what you pay for. Costumes are typically on the more pricey side if you want a decent replica of an outfit. I've seen the rare occurences where people go to thrift stores, alter things, and put them together and still look awesome, but it takes skill and patience. People who don't have the skill or patience can commission others who do have it, and then everyone wins. Cosplayer gets desired quality costume and the maker gets money for something they enjoy doing.

Don't take offense...You just need to know that people like Mukino and Juumou are experienced with what they do and you should at least give their advice some thought.

Kuro Yue
10-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I didn't really feel offended, so much as confused. . .But I'm such a wuss and I feel like I'd insult someone if I asked them to clarify too often.

Anyway, Shye, I hope things go well. It seems that you don't need any more advice.

Shye
10-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I didn't really feel offended, so much as confused. . .But I'm such a wuss and I feel like I'd insult someone if I asked them to clarify too often.

Anyway, Shye, I hope things go well. It seems that you don't need any more advice.
Mukino, I wish to thank you very much! You have helped me so much with this!

Valkrinos
05-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I was looking to get help on cosplaying as Riku from KH 2 (At the end of the game) and I was looking to get some help. I have researched on my own and searched through many threads here, but I still have some questions.

Wig: Are there any suggestions on which wigs to get and where? Are there people who have gotten Riku wigs that know that they work well? I was looking at the Kanekalon Beast Wig (http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_k_beast.html) but it seems that someone said that it is good but a little too short, and I would rather not have something too short...does anyone have any suggestions on what wigs to get and how to style them?

Jacket: Would anyone know what material I should make the different parts of the jacket out of? Would anyone know of a certain jacket pattern I should buy?

Vest: How do you think I should go about making this?

Wristband: What material would you suggest for his wristband?

Weapon: What material do you suggest I make this out of? I don't know if I would be able to make much of it out of wood right now (Even though I believe that is the best thing to use) because I probably need time to get more comfortable with it. I would hope not to have to use any harmful materials...but does anyone have any suggestions?

Pants: Which do you suggest? Jeans or khakis? Are khakis too much of "dress pants" to work, because I was told dress pants do not look too good.

Shoes: Anyone know of a certain brand of shoes or any specific shoes I should buy that look close to his shoes so that I could possibly alter them to make them look like his?

I have a little sewing experience, but I really plan on working hard and becoming very good at sewing. ^^ I need this costume completed by Anime Expo so I have 30 days or so to complete the costume. I appreciate any help anyone is willing to give me here. ^_^

Here are some reference pictures:

Cora
05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
First off...if you've got only 30 days...Nix the weapon, it'll take too long to do a nice job on it along with a costume with multiple pieces. Just uhm...a suggestion ^^;

With what you're doing, if you're not so used to sewing, I suggest going to your local fabric store with a few reference pictures to find patterns that are similar to the pieces you need for Riku so that you can alter them. For the white vest, use a stiffer material so that it'll keep it's shape (you can also help this with iron-on interfacing). The black tanktop can be made out a knit fabric, something looser. For the pants, use jeans as your base, not khakis (do they even make khakis in that color?).

His armsock...you could probably make it from a scrap of an old T-shirt or something XD it's not like it has to be fancy. Don't worry excessively about the shoes. Go second-hand store-hopping and you might find something you can mess with.

For the wig, start with a longer wig and cut layers into it. Try finding one that's about 30 inches or so with long bangs in the front (I know Cosworx is going to get a wig like this later this summer, but they won't be in before Expo, so you might have to look on Ebay). Make sure you get the wig in Silver, not white @.@ But if you prefer white, then by all means (color 60 is silver/white, which I think looks best for Riku).

Uhm, thaz all I got for not actually having made the costume myself XD;

Valkrinos
05-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I still want to do the weapon, because I feel the character would be more complete if I did. I believe I have time for it.

Yes, they do make khakis in that color. I found some blue khakis that looked good. It seems though that many Riku cosplayers have some sort of blue pants that doesn't quite look like jeans. I mean yes, some do use jeans...perhaps those people sew the pants completely.

Do you have suggestions on making the weapon?

Gatack
05-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I know a lot of people that have gone with insulation foam.

I personally did wood in layers, you can find pics of it in my gallery, along with wood I worked with some other mediums such as craft foam and fabric to give it lots of texture. My course did not give it as much dimension though.

Wig- I went with an Ally wig in silver and put more layers into it, I'm still trying to perfect it.

Pants-I went with jeans and added the front pockets. I'm facing the problem my self of changing this because I've lost a lot of weight since last year. So I'm personally caught between going with jeans again or making pants. I suggest go with what you can do with your own skills, budget and time.

Shoes- they were some airwalks I found at random at payless

Armsock- thick knit folded, it gives it god body

Vest/Undershirt- I myself don't have too much experience sewing wise and was really my first time with using patterns but the make so much of a difference like suggested above find a pattern you think you can modify. For my vest I wanted it to have some body so i actually put some stuffing in the vest. Be careful with that collar it can be quite a challenge!

If you want some more help just IM me!

Valkrinos
05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm hoping, for now, until I'm used to working with wood more, that I'll be able to find another material to make the weapon out of.

I'm still going to try and look and see if I can find a wig I can use.

We'll see what I can find. ^^

lucrecia2010
06-09-2007, 10:24 PM
usualy i just but the outfit on ebay...but i think that would take the fun outa making it i always resorted to ebay if its last min. one time i was doing aeris from KH2 and i needed it in the next 5 days and got it ground shiped to me but in ur case theres nothing i could help u with im just a 13 year old with lots of money lol j/k but sceirly ebay rox!!!

Crystalike
06-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Wig: I would recommend the Ashley 850 from Cosworx in color 60 (silver white), because they ship faster than Amphigory. Use the hot water method to straighten the wig, then cut emo bangs (XD) and layers into the wig around the back.

Armband: I made mine out a white stretchy cotton fabric with two layers (for durability), but you can make it out of an old t-shirt.

Vest: I got some upholstery pleather in white from the Hancock Fabrics extra bin, and am going to line it with cheap yellow cotton fabric. The lines on the front will be made with a cream colored thread with seams. The blue line will be blue bias tape or some blue ribbon that I will glue to the vest.

Inner vest: Cheap black cotton with a double way metal zipper I will get from ykk separating zippers.com.

Belt: a cheap mens silver studded (3 layers) belt from eBay.

Pants: Just old blue baggy jeans in a dark blue color. I'm planning to sew the lighter blue fabric right onto the jeans, so I'm sacrificing them for Riku.

Shoes: I'm getting Timberland boots from eBay in my size that I will glue fabric onto for the designs and the piping parts will be black bias tape.

Contacts: getting them online. Dunno where though.

Keyblade: Forget it at this point. I'm trying to buy mine from a prop seller right now, but the sale isn't finalized yet.

Good luck! If you look carefully around in the fabric store, you can get all the fabric you need for less than $20!

Kazephyr
08-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Because I'm never satisfied until I've taken on about fifty or so unfinished projects... I wanted to try my hand (with some help, most likely) at making Riku's KHII outfit. I was wondering though... What fabrics would work best? Especially for the pants... I can't really tell if they're supposed to be denim or not, and I worry if I use my own judgment they'll come out looking like hospital scrubs. o_0 So... yeah. Also, if anyone has any good reference images of this outfit, I'd really appreciate it. I'm terrible with finding reference pictures... Thanks. ^_^

rikus-nobody
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, for my vest, I used fleece, because I didn't have to hem it. yey. I've seen it come out very well using things like oh, what's it called, quilter's solid-colored fabric? The thin stuff? you'd have to line it, but it'd work. again, nothing shiny.

The pants, I've seen people use jeans and sew on the pockets. It worked quite well.

Crystalike
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm using white pleather for the vest and am lining it with yellow broadcloth. For the pants I sacrificed a pair of jeans, dyed them darker blue, and sewed the "pockets" on. My pockets were a thick denim-like material that I got on sale...lol, I only spent $20 on all of the fabric and zippers for Riku...XD

Kazephyr
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Those are good suggestions, thank you very much. ^_^ I'm always nervous about buying fabrics, since I usually mess up and buy something I end up never using. -_-;

Crystalike
08-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey! No problem! We're all here for help! <3

And...I made my armband out of white cotton (two layers).

Kazephyr
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, thanks for adding that. ^_^ I probably would've gotten to the armband and used something that would slip around and drive me nuts, lol. ^_^;

Crystalike
08-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Lolz, and for the belt, here's where I got mine...<3 So cheap! I love eBay...
http://stores.ebay.com/Todays-Gentleman_MENS-BELTS_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6143575QQftidZ2QQpZ3Q QtZkm

Kazephyr
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow! That belt looks like it was designed to look like Riku's. ^_^ Thank you. ^_^

Crystalike
08-09-2007, 01:05 AM
No prob! And my Riku shoes (pic will be up tomorrow) were painted grey-soled Timberlands I got from eBay...^_^

Kazephyr
08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks. ^_^ Did you buy men's or women's shoes? I'm never quite sure what the better choice would be for crossplay, lol. ^_^;

Crystalike
08-21-2007, 12:56 AM
My Riku is finished! Look at my gallery.

Raven382
08-21-2007, 11:13 PM
i got the kenakalon beast wig for my deep dive riku cos and the only thing i had to do was trim the bangs a little bit. you can see pics of it in my gallery

Tiltedmoons
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Reference:http://www.finalfantasyworld.co.uk/khextreme/kh2/images/artwork/KH2_Artwork_Riku3.jpg

Hello! I'm planning on sewing a Riku cosplay, and have no idea on how to go about the vest. As you can see from the reference, the jacket is made of a few different 'panels.' I've searched Simplicity, but can't seem to find a pattern that has panels like this. Does anyone know of a pattern like this, or should I just make one myself? Thanks!

TwilightWolfGrl
03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
does anyone know how to find good patterns for the undershirt and vest?
i'm finding it rather difficult to find them:waaaah:

psycho-buNNieS
03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
The undershirt is super easy to make! :3
Actually, I've made my own patterns for both the shirt and the yellow-white vest.

For the black shirt, I got my Riku cosplayer to wear a nice form fitting t-shirt (one that would fit the same as the black shirt. Tight, but not like...SKIN tight, you know? ) and I measured how long I'd want the shirt to be from the bottom to the top of the collar. I did this so I'd know how long the zipper would have to be, really. Then, I traced the shirt onto some paper, added a long collar (I just referenced a turtle neck top, really), then sewed it on. C:
I got a double ended black zipper, to finish it off. I think the shirt I made ended out quite nicely, really. C: Just the collar is a bit long....eh, it's nice though. ^^

For the jacket, I just found the closest pattern for the jacket that I could find, then altered it. I made sure the seams would end up in the places I wanted, then taped all the pattern pieces together to make my own new pattern. XD
I mostly used trial and error, practicing on scrap fabrics. I still have to alter the pattern a bit, because I'm not sure how I'm going to get that blue strip onto the jack without it looking weird.

Anyways, hope my rambling was a bit of help. :B

TwilightWolfGrl
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
The undershirt is super easy to make! :3
Actually, I've made my own patterns for both the shirt and the yellow-white vest.

For the black shirt, I got my Riku cosplayer to wear a nice form fitting t-shirt (one that would fit the same as the black shirt. Tight, but not like...SKIN tight, you know? ) and I measured how long I'd want the shirt to be from the bottom to the top of the collar. I did this so I'd know how long the zipper would have to be, really. Then, I traced the shirt onto some paper, added a long collar (I just referenced a turtle neck top, really), then sewed it on. C:
I got a double ended black zipper, to finish it off. I think the shirt I made ended out quite nicely, really. C: Just the collar is a bit long....eh, it's nice though. ^^

For the jacket, I just found the closest pattern for the jacket that I could find, then altered it. I made sure the seams would end up in the places I wanted, then taped all the pattern pieces together to make my own new pattern. XD
I mostly used trial and error, practicing on scrap fabrics. I still have to alter the pattern a bit, because I'm not sure how I'm going to get that blue strip onto the jack without it looking weird.

Anyways, hope my rambling was a bit of help. :B
it did help...thank you. i think i get the jiff. i'm just not sure if i can do all that..oh well i've got time. my plan is to make it in time for halloween. so i'm giving myself a good bit of time to practice i guess. it's my first cosplay and i'm really amateur at sewing so....
but thanks

psycho-buNNieS
03-28-2009, 09:50 PM
8D
I've got.....exactly 7 days to finish my Kairi and Riku cosplays.

I gotta cut and style 2 wigs, make a belt and purse for Kairi, finish painting 2 pairs of shoes, sew Riku's yellow-white vest, shorten and add the finishing touches to my Kairi dress, and make Riku's Way to the Dawn keyblade.

Yeah. In 7 days. With school. Theater practice. A concert. And I'm also sick. So it's more like....3 days, if you subtract all the time.

It's an easy costume really, so you can EASILY do it before Halloween. XD
You could do it before March ends, really. :B

TwilightWolfGrl
03-29-2009, 10:42 AM
thanx....i'm not in a huge rush to get it done so i probably won't get it done by the end of march. plus i have zero of the supplies. so i'm alittle slow
but thanx for the confidence boost, and on another note. your kairi keyblade looks amazing!:crylaugh::angel:

psycho-buNNieS
03-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Those aren't pamels. It's just topstitching.

I found a nice vest pattern at JoAnnes and just altered it a bit to put the seams where I want them.

Any vest pattern with the big collar will do really, because you just have to cut that strip out of the pattern to give the right look to the collar.

SnowFeather
05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
deleted

greatpein
05-18-2009, 06:16 AM
top- i don't think anyone will notice too much but if your trying to be extremely accurate i suggest not.

belt- you can buy belts that have the studs on them usually at wallmart or kmart then you would just need to poke the extra holes in.

shoes- you could either use a silver sharpie or just go without them. as before unless you want to be accurate its not nessecary

hope this helped.

Hyuuga Tenten
05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
For the lining of the jacket, if you are going for accurasy, yes you do what to line the jacket with yellow. The belt, or the accurate belt, can be bought on ebay. The ones that they carry at Wal-Wart and such don't have the studs completely around the belt, but again if is a matter of time the belts at Walmart will work. Finally, the shoes, please do not color on your shoes with sharpie, even if it looks right for awhile that sharpie will smudge. This will, believe it or not, make your costume look alot worse than it would if you used a pair of tennis shoes that look some what the same.

RickySlaughter
08-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Well, I have the costume near done, but I'm having issues with the jacket. Is there a good tutorial on making one? Or a shop they sell it at?

08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
All the info you could ever need on Organization XIII jackets is right here.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=117394

nameless14
09-29-2009, 06:45 PM
My Riku is finished! Look at my gallery.

Crystallike! i love your Riku Cosplay!

i was wondering~ where did you get the zipper you used for your jacket? (the big chunky one)

???

DeidaraBang23
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Hello,
ok so right now i am working on a KH2 riku cosplay which can bbe found 32590. I am in the prosses of making theway to dawn keyblade (which i have named Marley cuz of the pink insilation foam i am using lol) that is about the only thing i have done so far.

I am going to get my wig from cosworx after christmas (clover in sliver i think. any suggestions otherwise?) and so ya.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the two vests?? Like, where i could get them or how to sew them or buy them to modify? I am not very experenced with sewing but im willing to give it a try as long as its not too complicated. also, i dont have easy access to a sewing machine.

for the pants im thinking about just getting some baggy jeans and sewing lighter jean fabric on the pockets. and the belt i will buy from khols or hot topic.

it would be really awesome if someone that has done a riku cosplay or have any suggestions could reply to this thread because i am clueless on what to do about the vest situation.

thanks in advance,
Axemm

Xaeren_Keiji
12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Definitely check any resale shops near you. I found three that would work at a goodwill and I bought one for only three dollars. I also got my pants there.

DeidaraBang23
12-11-2009, 09:59 PM
ahhh. good idea. ill go there when i have any sort of money *goes and does housewok*

lol thanks!

greatpein
12-12-2009, 05:32 PM
i did riku really easily. for the black shirt, i just took a long sleeved black shirt, cut the sleeves off, and sewed a zipper on. the pants are just blue jeans with pockets. the outer vest ttok the most. i bought a yellow vest and sewed a white vest out of normal fabric. Then, instead of buying a zipper or more fabric, i sewed the white vest onto the yellow one. the blue was fabric glued on, and i used duct tape for the yellow!

i'll be posting a tutorial soon on youtube on how to style a decent riku wig. hope i helped!

nameless14
12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
just wondering, what are you using to make your way to dawn?

Chergnomebyl
12-17-2009, 09:35 PM

They say it right here.
Hello,
ok so right now i am working on a KH2 riku cosplay which can bbe found EIA9XHoK.jpg. I am in the prosses of making theway to dawn keyblade------ (which i have named Marley cuz of the pink insilation foam i am using lol)----- that is about the only thing i have done so far.

DeidaraBang23
12-18-2009, 08:02 AM

im using wall inselatior (i cant spell) but basicly i projected the image onto the wall insilator and used a jigsaw to cut out the basic shape (dont cut too close) then i used files at file everything down (which i am in the prosses of doing still) and then im gonna paper mache it, paint it, then gloss it.

hope this helped. (sorry i got carried away with the info)

Xyro[Doll]
04-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm making a Riku cosplay from Kingdom Hearts 2 and was wondering if anyone could help me with the vest?
I'm kinda clueless on what to do
I would really love any help... patterns would be amazing
or even just ideas =]

The cosplay is being made for my boyfriend and its his first real cosplay
I would like it to be the best as possible .... everything else is figured out but the vest >_<
So I'm open to ideas