PDA

View Full Version : Otakon Weapons Policy?

Kellie
03-19-2003, 05:07 PM
I'm planning on emailing the staff, but I was wondering, does anyone know the policy for Otakon this year? I'm sure it will be rather strict with the on-goings right now.

Lady
03-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Last year I know they didn't allow any metal weapons, even if they were dull, and I think they were strict about replica shotguns, too. I know a friend of mine bought a cheapie sword from the dealer's room in 2001, but we had to immediately go back to our hotel room and put it away before we could wander around the con again.

I'd say very very strict*nods* If it's metal and not a piece of jewlery, chances are you won't get in with it.

-Lady

Kellie
03-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Hmm... I definitely will have to get a hold of them seeing as the weapon I'm making will be made of matte board.

UsagiNoSenshi
03-24-2003, 04:01 PM
I have a mallet and i'm kinda wondering too.....

Lil_Phoenix
03-24-2003, 07:29 PM
A matte board weapon? Methinks that'd be pretty harmless... Good idea, too, I never really thought of making a weapon out of matte board.

And Miaka-chan, you should get one of those inflatable mallets. ^.^ And then maybe just dress it up in tan fabric, unless you want to carry around some crazy lookin' neon thing.

twentystitches
03-24-2003, 08:15 PM
I don't think their too terribly strict with weapons, since they weren't last year. As long as one doesn't go around thwaping people and stuff. I carried around a 6 foot wooden glaive last year and didn't get yelled at. But dunno with all the stuff this year... O_o;; Hopefully they won't get too strict...

UsagiNoSenshi
03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
inflatable mallets, nah! I have to wack you people with real wooden mallets^.^ j/k

Blaze
03-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Well, I have to say that they weren't terribly strict about it last year, considering I saw plenty of kenshin people and other characters carrying around wooden swords and such, but a vash i saw wasn't allowed to point his gun to people in his pictures it either had to be to the floor or the ground. Kellie, I would definately email them, jsut in case either that just make your weapon out of something soft, and harmless. I'm making tasuki from Fuushigi Yuugi and I have to maek it soft, so I can't hurt anyone. Don't feel bad :-)