PDA

View Full Version : Inuyasha pattern

SenseiKamikaze
10-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Hi! I'm going to make an Inuyasha cosplay (Inuyasha's clothes) and I will get help from my teacher at school, but I need a pattern. I have searched and searched all over for it but I just can't seem to find it! Could anyone please tell me if they know something? A site or something they have made themselves? Thank you very much!

Hsien-Ko
10-05-2006, 10:42 AM
maybe you could use a kimono pattern and alter it no?

SenseiKamikaze
10-05-2006, 11:47 AM
hmm...yeah, may be I could do that. Thanks for the tip :)
But...do you know where I can find that? :confused:

PhoenixGate
10-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I just finished and debuted my Inuyasha cosplay so I may be able to give you a few pointers. What I ended up doing was to get a kimono pattern and alter it a little so that it looks like his. You may or may not want to put the front flap in there. The simple kimono patterns can be found at most all fabric and craft stores - even at Walmart. Look for the costume sections. You will need to modify it for the slits in the arm (which are actually a seperate sleave that is attached only at the bottom and the rest left open and hanging). You will need another white kimono to go underneth it or you can fake the white cloth under it. I suggest using a good cottton blend material. I would not use silk or anything shinny.
The pants on the other hand were perhaps the hardest part. I wanted it to be authenic as possible so I did some research on the style of pants for that era. The closest thing I found was the hakamas. I found a basic pattern and then just winged my way through it. They were a lot more challanging than I thought, especially putting the pleats in.
www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/hakama1.PDF?39,10
http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmakemenshakama.htm
(There is also a thread somewhere on here that gives a few websites with patterns on it).
I made it with the 6 pleats but you can really make it with only 4 or so.
I have heard that you can find them at marial art stores/dojous but they are more expensive. Even if you find white ones you can use clothing dye to make them red.
eBay also sells red hakama's and you may even be able to get the whole offit. Just be aware that sometimes these are cheaply made. Just search for "inuyasha cosplay".
You last choice is to simpy make the baggy straight pants like our sweat pants. You can lay fabrc over a pair that you know already fits you and then cut your pattern out. This is by far the easiest and fastest way to go but not real neat looking.

Hilary
10-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Use the Folkwear hakama and kimono patterns. They are historically accurate and yield great results (I used these patterns- pics are in my commissions gallery). You will have to alter the sleeves and front closure, but taping and newspaper will be all you need for the alterations. If you don't want to sew it... I take commissions! XD

Miyabi-
10-06-2006, 11:32 PM
You can get a simple kimono pattern and alter it for the top easily enough. ^_^ The only thing that will be different is the sleeves...for that I used the bell sleeves of a Renaissance dress! LOL
As for the pants...his are based on temple monk's pants (check out the Art of Inuyasha art book!).
I used a pattern for a belly dancer's pants and altered it. ^_^ It worked pretty well! (pics in my gallery)

Livejournal has a pretty good Inuyasha cosplay community too! You can always join that and ask construction questions there as well! ^_^
http://community.livejournal.com/inuyashacosplay/profile

SenseiKamikaze
10-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Gee, thanks a bunch, guys! I'll print it out ^^

Edit: Btw, what did you guys do for thewig...? I mean, with ears and all...

PhoenixGate
10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
For the wig I purchased 2 wigs- one from a costume shop and one from online- and sewed them together to give it the thickness it needed. Then I sewed in hair extensions to make the length. I used a thick wooly blend of material and sewed ears which were then attached to the wig (which had netting). I have also seen lots of places online that sell the wig with the ears already attached. You can also put the ears off a stuffed animal and use those. Attach it to the wig or as a headband.

SenseiKamikaze
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Tanks :)

Miyabi-
10-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I made mine out of fake fur and flesh colored felt and sewed them onto flip clips that way I could position the ears exactly how I wanted them!
Just take note that the insides of his ears are a flesh color and NOT pink. >_< And you'll need to trim the fake fur on the ears so that they're not fluffy...Inu's ears aren't fuzzy. ^_^