PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Panel : Thoughts?

Ginny
03-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Ok, so since I was asked, I'll be doing a cosplay panel (and I have no idea when it is yet O.o). However this is the first panel I'll be doing solo. Soooo since I don't have someone to work with to get some ideas, does anyone going have anything they'd like me to do/bring/discuss? I wanna get a feel for what's up before I go (I've never been to Animazement ^_^).

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them! Thank you!

liz-maru
03-20-2003, 03:43 PM
hmmm all your costumes rock, could you show maybe what you do before making the costume, like getting references or getting the patterns, and then what all you have to do after that? (all the steps go you through) i guess that is what im trying to say =3 i have no idea but im interested cause dats cool! ^_^

AshleyV
03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
You can talk about different fabrics in addition to the pro and cons of using these fabrics and how to know what type of fabric to use for a costume. Tibits or any help hints on certain things for cosplayers as well will be really useful.

Ginny
03-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Oh, and I also forgot to mention, I'm bringing candy *lures innocents into the panel with the promise of sugary goodness*

Himemiya
03-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Wig help would be fabulous *_*

Kas
03-20-2003, 07:29 PM
ooh yea.. good panel idea. I for one wouldn't mind discussion different fabrics and maybe style wigs.. Ooh and I really want to discuss about boot covers.. >.< why do I have trouble with those.

liz-maru
03-21-2003, 07:24 AM
*_* really your bringing canday?! im so there! =3

shwong
03-21-2003, 10:29 AM
I agree. Wig styling, fabric types, and boot covers are all good topics for discussion. Here's my input: What about props and accessories?

I don't really need help with the sewing aspect of cosplay. I run into the most trouble with accessories. For instance, I have yet to make a huge sword, or gauntlets... too daunting!

I wish I could be at Animazment. Good luck, G-chan!

BTW, have you considered asking a fellow cosplayer to help with the panel? When I give presentations, I find it easier with a partner. That way, we can bounce ideas and topics off each other.

Kamui Motoaki
03-21-2003, 10:55 AM
stalker selfdefense class!
LoL
i could be youre "stalker" and you can beat the shit outta me. . LoL ehahehaea. . j/k ^_~

BlueLady
03-21-2003, 11:36 AM
hmm wig help would be a good thing, yours always look so spectacular. But any costume help would be good coming from you Im certain.
congrats on being chossen!

Dark Vision
03-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Kamui Motoaki
stalker selfdefense class!
LoL
i could be youre "stalker" and you can beat the shit outta me. . LoL ehahehaea. . j/k ^_~

LOL. Its scary how many people would actually need this sort of thing.

Sailor Naboo
03-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Melissa from Faerie Fingers does panels at Sakura Con and they've been really good. Just to give you an idea or two, she did talked about getting started in cosplay and easy costumes. She also talked about the basics like not using satin for everything, but also information about using the right weight of fabic, especially for tailored costumes like uniform jackets and how using the right lining is a must.

Another part that the audience seemed to react to was talking about once one starts cosplaying, the whole world turns into an accessory store. An example might be if one is at Home Depot looking for a hammer, and you notice some piece of hardware that is EXACTLY the right size and shape for a prop.

Ginny
03-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Okie, I'll see if I can bring some wigs from home and talk about styling stuff. I'm no expert, but I'll do what I can. ^_^

As long as you call come and give ideas, I'm sure it'll work out great. Thanks!

evaneko
03-24-2003, 08:09 PM
i think you should talk about making acessories- and i think the self defense/ stalker thing would be funny b/c i recently had a _bad_ experience with that ^^

Ginny
03-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Did you hear that Will? Are you going to Animazement? ^___~

RealizeDOP
03-24-2003, 09:22 PM
YAY!!!! I will come to your panel!!! I can try and Help you if you want!::::has never done a panel before::: heehee : ) Let me know! I can think of some stuff for you! : )

minako chan
03-25-2003, 10:11 PM
G-chan is cool and I have a lot of respect for her so count me in! As for panel suggestions, you could talk about the theatrical aspects of cosplay...like stage presentation and what is a good skit vs a bad skit...or something like that(candy is also good)

Ichiban Crush
03-26-2003, 12:07 AM
I second any discussion on skit writing. ^_^

Also, being burned by using crappy material once or twice myself *cough*Slash*cough*, touching the subject of fabric would be highly benificial.

Ginny
03-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Sankyuu sankyuu! As long as you all come and help make it infomative and fun, it should go well. ^__^

KuroBara
03-26-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm not going to Animazement, but maybe you could talk about costume photography elements like poses, lighting, etc.

liz-maru
03-26-2003, 10:03 AM
KuroBara that is a good idea! ^_-

ki kuru kitty
03-27-2003, 02:03 PM
We can all sit in a circle and discuss common interest, intruiging cosplay idea, art of our inspirations..... or pounce G-chan and fight to the death over G-chan sugary sweet she has luring my inner child into craving so much.