PDA

View Full Version : Costumes vs. Weight

Miss Diko
10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I mean this in a normal, down to earth girl's point of view.

I don't want anyone to get offended, I'm not pointing anyone out.

I was thinking about making a sailor saturn outfit this year, but unfortunately I have a very blocky appearance due to the weight gain after several months. Since Sailor Saturn is very slender and fraile in appearance, it just wouldn't work to be her with my thick thighs and wide hips.

I was just wondering if any other cosplayers out there take this into consideration when or before making a costume.

For instance, if you are a size 16-18, would you even *think* about making a Lum costume or Naga (from slayers)?

Or what if you are overly slender? Would you make a costume of Wakka or Barrett from FF if you are short and extremely skinny?

By now everyone reading this is probably thinking, "I'm a size ____ and I'm gonna go as whoever the HELL I want!!" Understood, I just simply wanted to know if anyone personally took their weight into consideration when they think of a character to cosplay as.

One of the prettiest Princess Serenities I've seen cosplay looked around a size 18-20. But she made it work with her weight. she didn't try to make it tight and brought the materials in in all the right places.

Any feedback or comments about this is appreciated as well as enlightening.
:bigtu:

Lady_Sodina
10-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Not always. Well, actually, I've never really taken my weight into consideration before deciding on a costume. I mean, I cosplayed Feena from Grandia (basically, fairly skimpy costume) before because I wanted to, and I'm not exactly a stick here ^^" Recently, however, I've made a goal to lose a bunch of weight, and then there's another kind of skimpy costume I want to pull off as sort of a reward for getting back into shape XD Lolz. But yeah, no... I dunno, I really don't let weight affect me too much. Same with height (I'm REALLY short. I'm 5'1" and pretty much done growing... well, there's a small chance I might still grow, but yeah).

Also, would love to see these pictures of the really well done Princess Serenities. I LOVE looking at random peoples costumes, especially if they're well done *^^*

Cherazor
10-09-2006, 04:04 AM
Well, seeing as I'm a Sailor Saturn cosplayer myself I'm simply going to say "Go For It"! I'm definitely not your ideal Saturn since I'm a bit chubby (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/Cherazor/PICT0470.jpg), but I'm doing it anyway. Don't let that stop you! I actually found that if you sew the skirt right, it actually hides your stomach a bit. :toothy:

CherryBomb
10-09-2006, 04:51 AM
I actually do take my weight into consideration. I'm not fat, but I am a bit curvy and stocky I guess. I would make a terrible chi for example. I know my problem areas and I try to avoid costumes that may make things look worse. If I do something, I will alter it if it needs to be. Im usually cosplaying with my skinny friend, so I usually do the curvy characters.

BTW I don't know if this counts as costume critique..I could be wrong..

Michi
10-09-2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah, this isn't exactly what Costume Critique is for. It's meant for getting opinions on costumes you've completed, not for asking about different sorts of costumes.

We've had threads like this before, but for now I'll just send this to General Cosplay Chat.

Danzikumaru
10-09-2006, 05:20 AM

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Masquerade judges only care about TWO things. The costume, and stage pressence. Size? Never an issue.

GiaKohana
10-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I don't take my weight into consideration when choosing a character to cosplay...I do take it into consideration when I'm constructing the costume --I always try to make the costume work in my size -- if the costume fits your body, no matter what the size, the size won't matter.

Rukia_Kurosaki
10-09-2006, 06:37 AM
I think about my size or try to at least. I know I'm not the thinnest person out there and far from it, which is why I'm trying to loose weight for cosplay issues and to make me feel better. But yeah, I know I think about my size but seeing as hardly any anime characters are larger than a stick, I just find costumes that don't show much or are pants instead of a skirt.

BlueMew
10-09-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm making a Sailor Venus, and well, I'm not the most stereotypical girl to put on a Sailor Scout.

Sure, my pants might be a size 6, but my shirt is a 12 thanks to being, well, "blessed" with a D cup. Thing is, I'm making sure that the upper body part of the costume isn't so friggin' tight as to emphasize the fact that I'm disproportionate. Not making the sleeves so tiny, not making the torso so tight.

With my case, I'm also half tempted to just bind slightly. I bind for my crossplays, so it wouldn't be that much different.

Good luck. :)

Andrea
10-09-2006, 08:41 AM
I know I'm too short and scrawny to play big buff male characters, but I really couldn't care less. I like big buff male characters. ;)

Karisu-sama
10-09-2006, 09:02 AM
*I've said it before, I'll say it again, Masquerade judges only care about TWO things. The costume, and stage pressence. Size? Never an issue.*
Any judge worth their salt, anyway. ^^

A costume Masquerade should never be the equivalent of a "beauty pageant"; there are already enough of those in this world. In judging costuming, one should be judging things people MAKE and how they present them, not who they are; physically or even personality-wise.

Tikki
10-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Any judge worth their salt, anyway. ^^

A costume Masquerade should never be the equivalent of a "beauty pageant"; there are already enough of those in this world. In judging costuming, one should be judging things people MAKE and how they present them, not who they are; physically or even personality-wise.

Okay, I need to disagree a little bit with the judging side comments. Your physical appearance is a big part of how you present your character. The costume should fit well and look good on you as well. It should be tailored to your shape and I think it should flatter you as much as possible.
For example, I saw two Sailor scouts waaaaaay back in a skit that were definitely size 20+ and the skirts didn't even cover their backsides or wear tights to smooth out their legs. Sorry, but that's VERY unflattering. Then there's been some gorgeous costumes I've seen on larger cosplayers and they were just stunning. They looked GOOD, even though they portrayed some waifish character.
I've also seen costumes on small, thin cosplayers that bagged and sagged when they should have been fitted. Well-mades costumes, but they just didn't wear right on the person. And that's very important when presenting a costume.
Whether you're big, small, in between, make sure the costume looks good on you! Make the costume fit your shape! If it means altering a design for modesty or size, I'd say go for it and just discuss that with the judges.
Tikki

LadyHawke78
10-09-2006, 09:43 AM
In my opinion, weight should be taken into account when making decisions on costumes, but it should not be the ultimate deciding factor in all cases.

Taking from your example, characters like Naga and Lum would be a challenge for even the most supermodel-esque of cosplayers to pull off. So, those characters are *probably* not a good choice for one who is body conscious.

However, something like a Sailor Scout costume COULD be done well, even if you are a little conscious about certain areas of your body. In my opinion, as long as a costume is constructed WELL, using high quality materials, and altered/tailored to fit your unique body shape, it has the potential to look amazing.

My advice to you is to invest in good quality support garments (a bodyshaper and good tights-- I have bought both, and find them to be absolute LIFESAVERS when it comes to fixing minor figure flaws.) It is surprising how many cosplayers neglect the proper undergarments when they can do so much for both plus-sized and thinner cosplayers alike.

Also, do not be afraid to alter a costume design slightly if it flatters your figure more. Humans are NOT built like anime characters, and we need to account for that in our cosplay. When I cosplayed Subaru from .hack, I purposly cut the waistline on the skirt higher so I was exposing less of my stomach (bare midriffs make me nervous at my age, but I liked the rest of the character design a lot.) Perhaps you could make the skirt on her fuku a little longer or something if it would make you feel more comfortable wearing the costume.

So, in the end, don't let it get you down completely if you really like the character and want to cosplay her. Just figure out ways you can work around the things that make you uncomfortable, and (like they say on Project Runway) "Make It Work." :bigtu:

Trajedy
10-09-2006, 11:22 AM
>.>;

I freak out about how well I look for a costume all the time, and I'm pretty tiny. 5'4" and about 120 pounds. I guess I just have that whole 'Holy crap, I'm not a stick so this is gonna look like crap on me' syndrome... Last year at Katsucon I was at my 'heaviest' at about 125 pounds, so I planned only costumes that would cover my tummy... a far cry from the Rikku I did a year earlier. n_n;

All I can really say is that you have to do what makes you comfortable. Regardless of how many people say 'size doesn't matter, go for it!' If -you- don't feel like you would be happy with the end result, don't do it. You'll only have wasted time, money and energy on making a costume that you're not as happy with as you could be. Just don't get down on yourself for it. :) You can still make a wonderful costume, just perhaps find someone you're more comfortable with cosplaying?

Chibi Plush Toy
10-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah I am a size 16 (well 9-10-11 in adult sizes) and I do pick costumes that aren't nearly so raunchy because I'm careful about it. If I were to pick something that shows skin, such as let's say "Devil Hunter Yohko" I'd do it anyway and I don't care what other people think. I AM careful about how I lay it out so it looks good on me, and if nothing works--use a CORSET. Although they don't work that much because the boning is going to fit to your body's curves anyway so I don't know what really will work. That's how I erm, take weight into consideration.

I also cosplay a lot of Final Fantasy. Now those girls there show a lot of skin...so I either go with it, which is the usual case, and then there's the not-so-really-often-used adjustments I use, such as the Dion Rogers Rinoa or Battle Quistis Trepe (even though she only has a small amount of skin). In those cases, I wear a similar-colored shirt to go with the costumes...especially a black tube top with the Dion Rogers Rinoa. With Warrior Rikku...haha...it's funny because it's the LOVE HANDLES that stick out of the costume, regardless so it's like hey, whatever! Just go with what works, that's my opinion.

Gwydion
10-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm just a prude, as my former roommate likes to call me, so I never wear anything that's remotely showing. ^_^;; But my sis often takes her weight into consideration. She had wanted to cosplay someone in a skin tight outfit a few years back, but has since gained weight and says that she wants to hold off on it until she's back in shape. She may not wear Miss All Sunday again for the same reason, especially considering she was a bit nervous back when she did wear it two years ago. She's only slightly overweight, but she just wants to make sure she's comfortable.

MelanBlueFangir
10-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Even though I am a 250+ woman, I don't think about it when I cosplay. I cosplay who I want because it's fun, but I tend to avoid revealing outfts, cuz let's face it, no one wants to see my flabby belly XD. Like I plan on cosplaying Axel from KH2 at Anime Central 2007. No way in Hades I will ever be that skinny, but I'm doing it because it's fun <3 Besides, I can always say Vexen slipped a potion into my drink that genderbent me and caused my fire to be surpressed, which in turn then caused my metabolism to slow down and I fell in love with pocky :P But overall, just do something that you will feel comfortable in, regardless of your body size and shape :3

SchizoIori
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I do not think weight should be your only decision maker on a costume. As everyone has said you can cosplay whatever you'd like as long as you make it fit to your body and as long as you are comfortable wearing your costume. Weight is an important thing when deciding on a character, but it's just as important as height, or face shape. Cosplayers improvise and do what it takes to get likeness of who they desire to portray. If you really want to cosplay as Saturn I see no reason why you can't. It's all in what you're willing to do to make the costume "yours" and what you are comfortable with. So I say go for it and good luck.

Monochrome-Tear
10-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Well I guess making a costume is just like making clothes; some clothing designers make it so tha the clothing diverts attention away from the 'focal point', or simply hide it. For example, from what I remember, Sailor Moon has a pleatd skirt, right? So one can make that skirt flare out a it more, a bit longer, so that one's hips or thighs don't stand out. The Adora (Magna Carta) costume is a bit similar, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Panda-chan
10-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Being a plus-sized cosplayer weight does become an issue for me. More so than everyday life. Much like my daily life I only cosplay what I feel comfortable in. I am not comfortable enough to wear skin tight or revealing clothing in everday life I am not about to start wearing it for cosplay!

I agree that you can cosplay who you want if you are comfortable with it, tailor it to fit and flatter your figure and most of all have fun. If you are unhappy and uncomfortable then there is no point in cosplaying that character. This goes to everyone no matter what the size.

Alexia Ishtar
10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Gee, Gwydion, your sister really didn't come across like that to me (and you should hit her for me too XD) I am definitely not the skinniest person out there but there are ways to make some of the skimpier costumes swork. Example, my Eriya costume from Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaia.

I think weight should be considered when MAKING a costume, not always when choosing a costume.

Kuro Yue
10-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I want to make a Sailor Saturn costume sometime in the future, but I do want to lose all my extra pounds for it. I'm very self-conscious, having recently come out of actively engaging in an eating disorder, and I don't feel like I would be living up to the character properly if I had extra weight.

As for height. . .Can't change that, so skee-rew it.

Suger_baby_love
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Masquerade judges only care about TWO things. The costume, and stage pressence. Size? Never an issue.

That's a big reliefe to know!! I've been thinking about entering contests since I've become more serious about Cosplay ^_^ I mainly cosplay Aya from Psycho Le Cemu...and as we all know, Aya is /not/ a chubby girl (XD)...like me. =O I would never do something like A Trip to Arcadia where she is wearing very little. But that's not because I care about what people would think...I just don't find it attractive to have all my junk hanging out. You know? I've seen a girl do Mich no Sora once, it was possibly the BEST Michi No Sora I've ever seen and she was a big girl! I admire her for that!! I admire people that don't let their weight affect their Cosplay. I wish I could do the same. If /they/ feel comfortable doing something...more power to them. I am just saying that /I/ don't. But I don't ever judge a Cosplayer on their weight. So go people who don't let insecurities hold them back!! ^_^ *~Suger~*

Suger_baby_love
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I want to make a Sailor Saturn costume sometime in the future, but I do want to lose all my extra pounds for it. I'm very self-conscious, having recently come out of actively engaging in an eating disorder, and I don't feel like I would be living up to the character properly if I had extra weight.

As for height. . .Can't change that, so skee-rew it.

Don't let that hold you back!! I'm self conscious too but I don't let that stop me! Don't lose weight for it. Be proud of your body and be who you are!! This is probably going to sound weird cause you don't know me but I'm proud of you for coming out of your disorder!! Stay healthy and love who you are! Your weight doesn't make the character! YOU do. If you can act the part and wear the costume....who gives a crap what you look like?! /I/ don't!! So I say go for it!! And good luck with it if you do it!! (E-mail me if you want to! I'd like to talk to you again!! Suger_Baby_Love@hotmail.com ^_^)

That's a big reliefe to know!! I've been thinking about entering contests since I've become more serious about Cosplay ^_^ I mainly cosplay Aya from Psycho Le Cemu...and as we all know, Aya is /not/ a chubby girl (XD)...like me. =O I would never do something like A Trip to Arcadia where she is wearing very little. But that's not because I care about what people would think...I just don't find it attractive to have all my junk hanging out. You know? I've seen a girl do Mich no Sora once, it was possibly the BEST Michi No Sora I've ever seen and she was a big girl! I admire her for that!! I admire people that don't let their weight affect their Cosplay. I wish I could do the same. If /they/ feel comfortable doing something...more power to them. I am just saying that /I/ don't. But I don't ever judge a Cosplayer on their weight. So go people who don't let insecurities hold them back!! ^_^ *~Suger~*

wiltingflower
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm not as big as I once was, but I'm a very curvy girl. There are a lot of costumes I would never even think of attempting, mainly anything involving spandex, just because I know the costume wouldn't flatter me at all. It's not really about how big or small you are, it's dressing to flatter yourself. For example, I have big hips and I cosplay men. What do I do? Wear low-waisted pants and choose characters who wear layers. Problem solved! There's an infinite number of options for cosplay once you know what doesn't work for you and how you can compensate for it.

Runi-Chan
10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
As has been said before; cosplay what you feel comfortable cosplaying. If you really love a character, then cosplay it. If you feel that it's unflattering on you, please do modify it. It's a lot more enjoyable for you to wear the costume that way, and folks will see you and go, "Oh, what a nice [blank] costume! And it fits them so nicely, too!".

Not everyone's happy with their body. I'm around 5' 2', and (thanks in part to a small chest, XD) only around 105. I'm thin; not uberthin, just...a healthy weight. I recently got up enough courage to go and tackle Kuja from FF9.

Now, Kuja's pretty much little more than a small shirt and underpants. I'm not going to lie about that, XP. I'm still going to be nervous wearing him. I'll probably walk around the whole time I'm wearing him in a stance that's better suited for singing (with the ribs opened and stomach pulled in a little).

There's nothing wrong with curves; I wish I actually had some, XP. If you're inclined to crossplay, it might make it a little harder, but not everyone is made to be stick-thin. ^.^ We're made to try to be healthy.

Comfort is the ultimate thing. You don't feel comfortable? Then don't do it. Weight is NEVER an issue.

HelenaInvictus
10-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Anyone can do most costumes as long as they do them size appropriately. I may catch some crit from this, but I think that if you are wanting to cosplay a very risque costume, you should take into consideration your size and the things you can do to make it more figure flattering to your body.

Bahzi
10-10-2006, 12:45 AM
I usually do take my weight into consideration when choosing a character to cosplay. I'm not huge or anything, I'm a size 12, but that's overweight enough that I don't wear skimpy costumes or even ones that show my thighs anymore since I gained weight. (problem area for me).

I usually choose male characters who wear full clothing, but I definately think larger girls can look good in Sailor Scout uniforms and such with proper tailoring and tights...just not me. XD

Parrotfish100
10-10-2006, 03:26 AM
I don't think that weight matters... to a certain extent.

I used to weigh 247, and could cosplay next to nothing, being very self-conscious about my weight at the time. Then i went on a diet and exercised a LOT. I lost 90 lbs in about a year. Now I'm down to a very healthy 157 and able to cosplay nearly anyone I want without worrying about my weight.

I STILL take my weight into consideration when planning cosplays. I'm a guy, so I don't have to worry too much about revealing costumes (unless I ever crossplay, that is! Rofl! :p ), so its not nearly as bad, but I stray away from overly-skinny characters. Normal-sized characters are better for me.

By no means should overweight people stay away from cosplay, I just don't think that anyone wants to see a faye valentine that weighs 300 lbs is all ;)

mightyaardvark
10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
I always take physique into account when planning a costume, I have something of an advantage in being tall (a little over six feet) and muscular in a very slender sort of way. I don't mind gaining/losing 10 kg to get into shape for a character and I wouldn't play a character if I couldn't presentthe physique acceptably. However I'm a guy and I have some natural matabolic advantages in that regard so the standard I set myself are not universal.
Personally I think formy money the best cosplayers I have ever seen are Erika Cook and Fira & Airis, bth of whome know how to construct their costumes intelligently and in such as way as physical shortcomings (don't get me wrong they are all stunning, but Erika is not a a tall statuesque D-cup) are taken into account and glossed over.
I think the most important thing in Cosplay is to simply have fun. All other considerations are secondary.

Karisu-sama
10-10-2006, 06:37 AM
Okay, I need to disagree a little bit with the judging side comments. Your physical appearance is a big part of how you present your character. The costume should fit well and look good on you as well. It should be tailored to your shape and I think it should flatter you as much as possible.
For example, I saw two Sailor scouts waaaaaay back in a skit that were definitely size 20+ and the skirts didn't even cover their backsides or wear tights to smooth out their legs. Sorry, but that's VERY unflattering. Then there's been some gorgeous costumes I've seen on larger cosplayers and they were just stunning. They looked GOOD, even though they portrayed some waifish character.
I've also seen costumes on small, thin cosplayers that bagged and sagged when they should have been fitted. Well-mades costumes, but they just didn't wear right on the person. And that's very important when presenting a costume.
Whether you're big, small, in between, make sure the costume looks good on you! Make the costume fit your shape! If it means altering a design for modesty or size, I'd say go for it and just discuss that with the judges.
Tikki
Personally, I do NOT see how this contradicts what I said at all, in fact, you seem to agree with my position.

One's physical appearance in a costume should of course always be taken into consideration, but if it has been, and the costume is well-chosen, flattering, and well-fitted to the wearer, a more "physically ideal" physique on another contestant should have no bearing whatsoever on the judges' decision. A well-fitted, well-chosen costume is part of "presentation". Height, weight, hair color, skin color, "strong physical resemblance to a drawn character" - these fall into the "accident of nature" category, and should not be judged in a costuming contest.

If, however, a judge hypothetically gives a particular award to a "physically beautiful" contestant, yet their costume is quite clearly not as well made as another costume on a person with a "heavy" or otherwise "less ideal" physique by society's standards, something really less-than-ethical is obviously going on.

Kukkii-san
10-10-2006, 08:07 AM
i agree with alexia: i think it's important to tailor a costume in a way that will suit you well, but you shouldn't necessarily rule out cosplaying a skinny character in the first place. actually, almost every cosplayer could use a nice fitted corsage or corset underneath his or her costume;)

but anyways, i think you're allowed to cosplay whatever you like. it's more about personal taste... you will always meet people who think you don't fit into the costume or character. still, i usually consider whether i can properly cosplay a certain character, and whether people might find it disgusting, disturbing, not aesthetic, or whatever. then i decide whether i feel comfortable with this, or not^^

the most important thing though, is that you put a lot of effort into making a costume. i think most ugly costumes are ugly because the person wearing it doesn't care, and not because the person himself is ugly, or overweight, or whatever.

Tikki
10-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Personally, I do NOT see how this contradicts what I said at all, in fact, you seem to agree with my position.
One's physical appearance in a costume should of course always be taken into consideration, but if it has been, and the costume is well-chosen, flattering, and well-fitted to the wearer, a more "physically ideal" physique on another contestant should have no bearing whatsoever on the judges' decision. A well-fitted, well-chosen costume is part of "presentation". Height, weight, hair color, skin color, "strong physical resemblance to a drawn character" - these fall into the "accident of nature" category, and should not be judged in a costuming contest.

I was taking exception to the prior statements between you and Danzikumaru that any judge "worth their salt" would look only at the costume and not take weight into account. I think weight is a big issue and how it's handled IS a big part of what judges should look at with costumes. Judges shouldn't ignore the person behind the costume. I've dealt with my own weight issues and I've been asked about this specific topic recently so I know what I look for when judging. A cosplayer can make a good or bad decision about their body when choosing a character, just as he/she can make a good or bad costume based on individual skills. So I do look at whether Cosplayer A is heavy, skinny, flat-chested, well-endowed, male, female, muscled or not... hair or shaved... anything really, and then look how the costume was made to work with or around the person's physical characteristics. That's in addition to checking the quality of the costume's construction.
So we probably agree on most things, just I won't gloss the topic and say as a judge, I wouldn't take weight into account. But with Danzikumaru's view, technically, I'm not a good judge then. THAT's where I truly disagree. Hopefully I've been a little more clear this time. *shrugs*
Tikki

Spacemonkey82
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm a size 18 and quite conscious about my weight/size. I do intend to cosplay in the future, and I will be wise about what costumes I chose to cosplay into.

I won't for example do a Yuna from Final Fantasy-x. As I know I can't get away with anything too skimy or revealing, so I'd not wear a costume that shows too much, or that just wouldn't suit me.

I'd chose a character who had a good costume, but I'd adapt it so that it DID suit my figure and my size. Like some people have already advised me to cosplay as who you want to cosplay as, but take into consideration your own body shape when you do think about cosplaying.

No offence intended to anyone who already cosplays as Yuna.
Or to anyone else either, and I'm sorry if I said anything offensive.

Eda
10-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I can understand your feeling. One of my character that I want to cosplay has thin thighs (opposite from mine!). So I just keep that character on your mind, waiting that someday I could cosplay :P

I would like to said that you aren't very chubby (but I could understand that sometimes we are a bit nervous about our body). There are 3 choices,

1. go excercise
Very easy suggestion but very hard to do it. Maybe during you excercise you have to imagine the character that you want to cosplay on your mind (I used to do it he he, it was work but only 2-3 months...).
2. use a corset
I think it is the best way.
3. give up
Hm... not a good idea. In my opinion, cosplay is to be the character that you want to be. It is what you do for FUN. If you do it with suffer or worried about your body and those made your cosplay unwell, this is the your choice.

ElfinGreen
10-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Cosplaying for me is not just wearing the characters costume but looking like the character as much as I can. Therefore I do think you should consider your body type. For instance I would never cosplay Lina (from Slayers). I lover her character and her costume, however in the seris they make several references to how small her chest is... and I'm a double d.

I dont apply this to every single character, and I know that there is no way I'll have the exact figure of ANY character. But when its a particular trait that is mentioned in the series (Lina's chest) I think of it as part of the costume and I take it into consideration.

Razia
10-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I just simply wanted to know if anyone personally took their weight into consideration when they think of a character to cosplay as.
Interesting topic, especially since I was just talking about something similar in another topic =P

I always take my weight into consideration (I'm a size 20). There are some characters that I just WON'T cosplay as--generally these are characters like Lum who wear only skimpy outfits, or characters who wear leotard-type outfits.

But with some characters, there's a way to alter the outfit so it looks good on me, while still looking enough like the original design, and sometimes it can be an interesting challenge to take on.

I wear a steel-boned corset under all my costumes, so I'm okay with wearing anything that's tight around the upper-torso, as long as it can be loose in the lower-stomache area (corsets make your waist smaller, but they don't do much for your tummy except push it downward =P). So if it's a dress or tunic (or can be altered to be that) I can usually make it work, but a bodysuit or a tucked-in shirt is out. I'm also self-conscious about my upper-arms, so I tend to cover them by adding a cape or jacket that's appropriate for the character, if the character normally goes sleeveless. I also tend to go with dark colors since they tend to be slimming and I follow simple fashion rules, like no horizontal lines at the waistline (ie: I tend to do away with belts).

For example, Mystique (traditionally) wears a white dress. I just changed it to a black dress and added a short jacket. Not saying that I make the best Mystique evarrr, but it works, IMO =P

Lisu-chan
10-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Simple

Cosplay is for fun, so do as you please! But do not expect everybody to be as enthousiastic about you and your costume ar you are!

Meaning... I cosplay character who don't look like me at all, (not all) but when you're tall (also a point of difficulty) there ain't that much to choose from, except boys (which I thankfully accepted XD)

But I don't go cosplaying Dizzy, my body's just not fit for it...

The knife works both ways here I think! And I'm not even mentioning judges! I can relate to both arguments... But like I said... Cosplay is AFTER ALL just for fun! :angel:

Arlette
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Personally, I think a size 16 would do better as someone like Naga because she'd probably have more of the boobs to pull it off. Then again, as one of my friends has pointed out to me, not every girl who is a bit on the bigger side is all curves. So it really depends more on the person than on their size. Also, there is a difference between girls who are just bigger in stature, rather than girls who are heavy based on their height/weight ratio. That's called BMI (Body Mass Index) and has to do with what you should weigh for your health, based on your height.

Frankly, if you wanna be Sailor Saturn and it would make you happy to do so, just do it. It goes both ways, you know. Someone like me who is short, pale, and dark-haired could pull off a character like that, but that doesn't mean I would just automatically do so because I "could." My favorite senshi is Venus, and also the Starlights. So I'd choose one of them over the character that maybe I look more like. See my point? Just do what YOU like.

Megx
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Police Girl = Skinny + Gigantiboobs

Me = Fat + Regular Boobs

And yet I'm still doing her *shrugs* I mean, what's the harm? So what if I don't have the right body, I'm not British or a vampire either, so as long as I'm not wearing the skirt short enough that everybody gets to see my 'milkshake' I think I'm doing pretty darn good.

And yeah, I don't exactly have the ideal body for Ganondorf either...but I'm a pretty good hand with duct tape and corsetry, so I'm willing to bet there's going to be more that a few freaked out Links and Zeldas when that costume debuts.

Shinigami_Mimi
10-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I say go for it too. But it's up to the cosplayer themselves if they want to try and lose the weight or not. But if you're happy the way you are and like the character then you can do it.

With me a lot of the characters I wanna do are skinny guys. x___X So when time comes to make the outfit I do my best to loose the weight. But that's just me everyone thinks differently.

Tia
10-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I think there are two main issues that you need to take into account when choosing a costume. Many people seem to make decisions on what to cosplay on what will look good on them only, and I don't think that's enough. I think you also have to be comfortable in what you wear. I'm not just talking about the fitting aspects of the garment, but also what your personal comfort zone is with showing your body.

For instance, a costume might look fine on you when you're just looking at yourself in the mirror, but the way you hold yourself, especially in pictures, matters a great deal in how you are perceived. If you're embarrassed about how you look, or feel bad about the costume's result, your personality is going to be altered, and you're probably going to try to cover yourself up with your arms or pose so you're half out of frame. Not only that, but because you're not allowing yourself to be comfortable as yourself, you're not going to have as much fun wearing the costume.

If your costume is tasteful, you just need to become more comfortable with wearing it. Since improving your craftsmanship is only going to happen in the long-term, it's more important to work on how you wear the costume. I know it is difficult to not second-guess yourself about how you look and whether you chose the right costume sometimes, but it's really important to push yourself to get through the initial discomfort of being in public in the costume. I'm certain that once you talk to some people, you'll probably find that you're appreciated by at least a few, and that should help to get over the nerves even more.

The way I look at it is this: you spent so much hard work making this costume, so I think you should wear it proudly. I wouldn't worry too much about what other people might say about you. Honestly, there are a lot of people who spend most of their time picking apart other people just to feel better about themselves. It makes me sad to see that the overall affect of that is to scare people off from cosplay, when it can have a very positive affect on a person.

In my experience, the majority of cosplayers think that their work is far from perfect, myself included, and that can contribute to the awkwardness of wearing the costume. If you find yourself in a situation where you are comparing yourself to another person in the same or a similar costume, and thinking about all the mistakes in yours, you should try to recognize what you're doing as soon as possible. If you can manage to stay focused on the positive aspects of your costume, and not the things you'd like to change, it makes a difference. Another big issue is, especially with common characters, the situation where there are many people cosplaying the same character.

If you strongly believe that a convention atmosphere is going to be too much for you to handle, I think you should try wearing the costume in front of a group of friends or relatives first, so that you have a chance to be in front of a smaller crowd. Not only will it make you feel better about wearing the costume in front of a larger crowd, they may be able to give you tips on things you can easily change to make the costume more flattering on you. If you do ask for advice, please remember that it is coming from a place of concern, and not malice. Sometimes small tidbits of advice can help your costume tremendously, so you should listen, but think about the advice and don't just follow it blindly.

I believe that anyone can make a costume that both looks good on them, and stays true to the character. Some people just have to work harder at it, or spend more time getting used to what suits their body types. There are many small things you can do to flatter your appearance, regardless of what your body type is. I do encourage plus-sized cosplayers to not be daunted by the difficulties in making a costume or the fears of how people will react to them. I have gained and lost quite a few things from my experience cosplaying. It has helped me to gain a better sense of myself, feel better about how I look, and has led to me losing a good amount of weight in less than three months. No matter what you look like, you can be beautiful in cosplay and feel good about it, too. Sometimes you just need to redefine how you see yourself to change the way that others view you. I do think you should take your body type and weight into account when you choose and construct a costume, but that definitely isn't the only thing.

marvelgirl
10-11-2006, 12:55 AM
i kinda take my size into account. im not fat...definitely not skinny but what i think you should really consintrate on is how you feel in the costume. i wont chose anything to skimpy because i wont feel comfortable in it. do what you feel good in. make a great costume, and have fun above all else.
oh and be kind to others, not everyone will want to see the body parts of other people hangin all out, chubby or skinny some of us just dont wanna see it.

YunaLenne
10-11-2006, 01:02 AM
I think there are two main issues that you need to take into account when choosing a costume. Many people seem to make decisions on what to cosplay on what will look good on them only, and I don't think that's enough. I think you also have to be comfortable in what you wear. I'm not just talking about the fitting aspects of the garment, but also what your personal comfort zone is with showing your body.

For instance, a costume might look fine on you when you're just looking at yourself in the mirror, but the way you hold yourself, especially in pictures, matters a great deal in how you are perceived. If you're embarrassed about how you look, or feel bad about the costume's result, your personality is going to be altered, and you're probably going to try to cover yourself up with your arms or pose so you're half out of frame. Not only that, but because you're not allowing yourself to be comfortable as yourself, you're not going to have as much fun wearing the costume.

If your costume is tasteful, you just need to become more comfortable with wearing it. Since improving your craftsmanship is only going to happen in the long-term, it's more important to work on how you wear the costume. I know it is difficult to not second-guess yourself about how you look and whether you chose the right costume sometimes, but it's really important to push yourself to get through the initial discomfort of being in public in the costume. I'm certain that once you talk to some people, you'll probably find that you're appreciated by at least a few, and that should help to get over the nerves even more.

The way I look at it is this: you spent so much hard work making this costume, so I think you should wear it proudly. I wouldn't worry too much about what other people might say about you. Honestly, there are a lot of people who spend most of their time picking apart other people just to feel better about themselves. It makes me sad to see that the overall affect of that is to scare people off from cosplay, when it can have a very positive affect on a person.

In my experience, the majority of cosplayers think that their work is far from perfect, myself included, and that can contribute to the awkwardness of wearing the costume. If you find yourself in a situation where you are comparing yourself to another person in the same or a similar costume, and thinking about all the mistakes in yours, you should try to recognize what you're doing as soon as possible. If you can manage to stay focused on the positive aspects of your costume, and not the things you'd like to change, it makes a difference. Another big issue is, especially with common characters, the situation where there are many people cosplaying the same character.

If you strongly believe that a convention atmosphere is going to be too much for you to handle, I think you should try wearing the costume in front of a group of friends or relatives first, so that you have a chance to be in front of a smaller crowd. Not only will it make you feel better about wearing the costume in front of a larger crowd, they may be able to give you tips on things you can easily change to make the costume more flattering on you. If you do ask for advice, please remember that it is coming from a place of concern, and not malice. Sometimes small tidbits of advice can help your costume tremendously, so you should listen, but think about the advice and don't just follow it blindly.

I believe that anyone can make a costume that both looks good on them, and stays true to the character. Some people just have to work harder at it, or spend more time getting used to what suits their body types. There are many small things you can do to flatter your appearance, regardless of what your body type is. I do encourage plus-sized cosplayers to not be daunted by the difficulties in making a costume or the fears of how people will react to them. I have gained and lost quite a few things from my experience cosplaying. It has helped me to gain a better sense of myself, feel better about how I look, and has led to me losing a good amount of weight in less than three months. No matter what you look like, you can be beautiful in cosplay and feel good about it, too. Sometimes you just need to redefine how you see yourself to change the way that others view you. I do think you should take your body type and weight into account when you choose and construct a costume, but that definitely isn't the only thing.
Well said!I totally agree with you ^_^

Jet_Texas
10-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Hi, late to the conversation, but here goes anyway

I fall in to the middle of the debate of costume vs. player. Have seen players that were very much like the anime and made the costume better, but have seen players with the build but the costume still did not work. The opposite is also true, seen costumes & player the "clicked" even though the body type was not perfect.

Having said that going to far away from body type makes it harder to have the costume work well.

In choosing a costume body type is important but not the only factor. As an example I love FMA but could never pull off Edward. While on the other end of the spectrum is the cosplayer I met at AnimeFest playing Ed from bebop (on my page) she was the most ED I have ever met but it took a fair amount of self confidence for a 6ft 2in girl to play ED.

Most importantly Cosplay is for FUN - Have FUN, if you are not going to enjoy the costume you probably are not going to have fun.

Hope my late night grammar did not impede my thoughts too much.

Rukia_Kurosaki
10-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Police Girl = Skinny + Gigantiboobs

Me = Fat + Regular Boobs

And yet I'm still doing her *shrugs* I mean, what's the harm? So what if I don't have the right body, I'm not British or a vampire either, so as long as I'm not wearing the skirt short enough that everybody gets to see my 'milkshake' I think I'm doing pretty darn good.

I agree with you on that one! I'm also cosplaying Seras someday, but it's the D-11 version because of the skirt. I'm afraid I'd end up scarring people.

I guess weight and cosplay really just depends. I know it's already been stated, but sometimes the smaller people don't always look good in the costumes. Don't get me wrong, I mean most of the time they do and I'd love to have the body of an anime character. But sometimes, your size doesn't matter much. I think as long as you vary the costume enough for you, I think it looks good. I think as long as a person puts effort into it, it looks good regardless.

Hagisan
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
lossing or gaining weight to be a char. is part of cosplay it betters the way u feel as the char. its self it also makes for better cosplay
i consiter weight and apprence always

cestlavie
10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
My first cosplay is at a Gullivers World (if you don't know, a theme park in the UK) fancy dress party, so I don't have to have a good costume, but I want to. I am 180lbs, 5'3 and nearly 15 years old, and am going as Sailor Jupiter. All I have to do is make the skirt a tiny bit longer, and it doesn't look so bad.
I am terrible for low confidence and hating my body, but I am going in a skimpy costume. I don't think weight should matter, as long as it's a character you love.
I want to go to an anime con someday, and hope to go to at least one of two that actually exist in England this year. You are so lucky in America:bigtu:

Danzikumaru
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
lossing or gaining weight to be a char. is part of cosplay it betters the way u feel as the char. its self it also makes for better cosplay
i consiter weight and apprence always

See, saying things like that discourages people. You can say that this particular dogma works for YOU, but the way you worded makes it sound like in order to be a good cosplayer, ALL must adhere to this somewhat shallow perception.

Jet_Texas
10-12-2006, 12:01 AM
See, saying things like that discourages people. You can say that this particular dogma works for YOU, but the way you worded makes it sound like in order to be a good cosplayer, ALL must adhere to this somewhat shallow perception.

I think she was promoting using cosplay to help motivate yourself IF you want to change you weight, If I understand her profile correctly (and I may not ) she is from Japan and thus probably not a native English speaker, but FAR better than my non-existent Japanese.

iLoveKadaj
10-12-2006, 12:24 AM
I can understand your feeling. One of my character that I want to cosplay has thin thighs (opposite from mine!). So I just keep that character on your mind, waiting that someday I could cosplay :P

I would like to said that you aren't very chubby (but I could understand that sometimes we are a bit nervous about our body). There are 3 choices,

1. go excercise
Very easy suggestion but very hard to do it. Maybe during you excercise you have to imagine the character that you want to cosplay on your mind (I used to do it he he, it was work but only 2-3 months...).
2. use a corset
I think it is the best way.

These 2 are best solution so far, deleted the third :p Plus, cosplay as character that resembles your own character for best cosplay :toothy: Take a look at this link (http://www.animetwin.com/A-Rater/index.php?leht=pilt&id=397), there's a girl cosplayer that very much look similar to KADAJ!! And in real life she's actually act as cool as kadaj himself, without all those gear.. she's already Kadaj, heheheh

OneWingedSeraph
10-12-2006, 01:47 PM
True story from a first-time cosplayer:

I'm a guy who weighed 220 lbs. and clocked in at 6 feet, 5 inches. When my friends came up with the crazy idea to cosplay Advent Children, I quickly got labeled as the Sephiroth of our group.

Me and my buddies hit the track, and I ended up losing 30 lbs. So, being at my target weight, I ordered my costume...only to find it had been tailored about 2-3 inches too small in the waist.

I hit the gym every other day for 10 days, and ended up losing 10 more lbs., then another 3 at the con just from walking around--leaving me at 177 lbs, the lightest I've been in 10 years.

Was it all worth it? I received countless comments on having the 'perfect build' for Sephiroth--something that made the day of this extremely self-conscious guy.

Moral of the story? Cosplay changed my life--for the better. Here's to losing weight in order to accomplish something one loves!

AlBhed
10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah... (hehe)
i agree it's most important to just have fun when you cosplay - here's my take:
I am not overweight - I am curvy. Curvy, and buff. Not giving myself excuses or anything, but... I would LIKE to say I ALWAYS take my build into account, but if I did THAT, I wouldn't be cosplaying X-2 Rikku. Which I am. aha ha...
I think it's good to do, but to an extent - like, I'm not gonna go around in a Card Captor Sakura outfit cause I'd just look ... horrible... but I do think if you're trying to win competitions, going with who you can do best pulling off is the way to go.
I've heard some people talk about like, "oh, look at her, she's so fat, she shouldn't be wearing that" and it makes me personally, kinda mad. I've got some overweight friends, and on the street HELL NO they wouldn't wear anything like that!!! But it's a con, ya know? If they wanna do it, I say good for them. They paid the same entrance fee thingy. But, people who don't because of their build, I say, yeah, me too. I understand v_v yup yup.
If you aren't embarassed, I'm not either. Kinda.

HelenaInvictus
10-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree with the tailoring comment. As long as someone builds the costume to be size appropriate, I think that should be fine. Though I do think a person should take into account the character that they want to cosplay as well as the costume. Spandex-y outfits, Felicia's cat outfit and things that cling and are incredibly body baring, just don't look good on heavier people.

Also, I see nothing wrong with encouraging people to lose weight. Being overweight is unhealthy and if cosplay is the motivation that leads someone to become healthy- not necessarily thin- then whatever works.

This post isn't meant to insult anyone, I used to weight 150 and had a 32 inch waist. I would never have even -thought- of cosplaying something belly baring or too skimpy. Not because I was ashamed of my body but because it just doesn't look good.

Runi-Chan
10-12-2006, 06:20 PM
True story from a first-time cosplayer:

I'm a guy who weighed 220 lbs. and clocked in at 6 feet, 5 inches. When my friends came up with the crazy idea to cosplay Advent Children, I quickly got labeled as the Sephiroth of our group.

Me and my buddies hit the track, and I ended up losing 30 lbs. So, being at my target weight, I ordered my costume...only to find it had been tailored about 2-3 inches too small in the waist.

I hit the gym every other day for 10 days, and ended up losing 10 more lbs., then another 3 at the con just from walking around--leaving me at 177 lbs, the lightest I've been in 10 years.

Was it all worth it? I received countless comments on having the 'perfect build' for Sephiroth--something that made the day of this extremely self-conscious guy.

Moral of the story? Cosplay changed my life--for the better. Here's to losing weight in order to accomplish something one loves!

You know what? As long as it's healthy, because I was reading your post going "Oh no...now he's too thin..", but it sounds like it was a big motivator to help you lose weight, and that's nice.

(I just know that some people end up losing too much weight, and that isn't healthy at all)

Someone's going to hit me for this, but I wish I was built a little more like some of you curvier girls. I do like cosplaying boys, but I'd like to make a female character once and feel comfortable in something semi-girly. (Toph's twelve, so she doesn't quite count for 'development', xp). But that's all in my mind, I suppose.

Darn my small irish build and the fact that extra weight really shows on me. (It does). Ask FantasyChick or Roxey20...I really don't weight that much. (Just around 105lbs...sometimes a little less).

And they only know that because I said we should take a picture of them catching me in Shinra, XP

trixyloupwolf
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
hey i saw really nice sailor moon gang costume made by not skinny girl and they were really cute in it..
it all depend on you ^o^

i think sailor moon is a great costume to do even if your a bit overweight ^^;;(like me^^;;but iam kind of too shy and need to put boxer under every cosplay i do ^^;; its hurt too much wen i walk ^^;; so thats why i could not do a sailor cosplay unless the skirt were a bit longuer ^^;;)

but go for it you feel confident or not i think its a really nice cosplay for everyone

judge juge costume work in it how it look not the person weight or thing like that

hope to see your cosplay soon ^o^

ps: iam french sorry for basd spelling of bad phrase i might be writing wrongly ^^;;

friendly
trixy

Byn
10-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I think my weight and height guide me to what characters I cosplay. Some characters I just have to do no matter what, like Kairi, Mary Magdalene and Aerith. With others, I take into consideration my body size and chest size (not very big at all ^^;; ) because I want to bring that character to life for other people if I can. I'm not saying I'd do a character based strictly for that...I have to like them too.

That's mostly why I'm doing Hikaru and plan on doing Cheza. Both of them have gentler, younger sort of appearances, so I think I'd fit them well. I love them a lot as well. ^^

This is only how I choose who to cosplay as...I'm not saying everyone should follow this pattern. One should not restrict themselves in the cosplay world unless they want to restrict themselves. I only veer away from busty girls like Lulu or Lust because I could never pull them off. XD

OneWingedSeraph
10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
You know what? As long as it's healthy, because I was reading your post going "Oh no...now he's too thin..", but it sounds like it was a big motivator to help you lose weight, and that's nice.

(I just know that some people end up losing too much weight, and that isn't healthy at all)

Healthy? I forgot to mention, I injured my back twice, in the ten days. x_x;

For the love of the game...

=D

~Seraph

marvelgirl
10-12-2006, 09:00 PM
dude congrats that is quite the acomplishment losing all that weights. ahh sephiroth is so dreamy ^.^
i think everyone should stop worrieing about weight and just have fun woot!

Runi-Chan
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Healthy? I forgot to mention, I injured my back twice, in the ten days. x_x;

For the love of the game...

=D

~Seraph

I meant the weight, XP Sorry, I suppose I only notice things like that because I have to watch what I eat, and how much I weigh, so healthy weight is a little more important to me in that case.

[Doesn't help that I keep gettig sick, does it? Xp]

(And when I say healthy weight, I mean that you can stand up and not get dizzy,not feel sick all the time, you're not constantly cold, etc...)

That's why you need to be careful when exercising, ^.^

gamerpanda
10-23-2006, 09:40 PM
I'd just like to say that one of my favoritest costumes I've seen was a teensy-bit chubby and short Rikku. She reminded me of a chibi version, and also, it was refreshing to see that someone that didin't have a perfect body was comfortable enough to wear a costume she made of a character she loved!

Also, other than that, I agree with the people that said that weight should be taken into consideration when MAKING, not CHOOSING your cosplay.

One of the prettiest Princess Serenities I've seen cosplay looked around a size 18-20. But she made it work with her weight. she didn't try to make it tight and brought the materials in in all the right places.

Yeah, I saw a really great plus size Sailor Moon (Musical) at a convention. In fact, I think she posts here! It was amazing and she certainly didn't have a "Sailor Moon body type"!

SummonerYuna
10-24-2006, 12:09 AM
I ALWAYS take my weight/height/anything else into concideration before, durring, and after I've made an out fit (seeing as how I've never done a complete costume before, I'll include non-cosplay things too. They still count. XP) Especially with the costumes I WANT to do now. There are a lot of things I'd love to do, like Tifa. BUT, there is one thing I don't like about myself, and I would rather not show off. And that would be my arms. I don't have the thin little arms most girls have, so I insist on wearing something with sleeves, or long gloves.
BUT, that doesn't stop me from wanting to Cosplay as Tifa. I'm just gonna give her sleeves and pants. (Just cause I can.)
I say, it's all a matter of what you're comfortable with.

Straw Hat Wally
10-24-2006, 06:35 AM
I copy my sentiments from the other weight-related thread. No matter what, as long as you're in a healthy weight range--and don't just say "OH I'M THINNER THAN TWIGGY BUT IM HEALTHY I GUESS" or "MY HEART CANNOT FUNCTION PROPERLY ANYMORE BECAUSE OF MY MORBID OBESITY BUT IM HEALTHY I GUESS", check your BMI: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/--then you should be able to cosplay whatever you want, and anyone who doesn't like it can screw off

Horichan
10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Personally, if I was going for an Accurate cosplay I would take into account weight and Height and build. But If I was going for the fun I wouldnt really care.
I dont have any weight issues, and I dont think people should worry about their weight when Cosplaying ! ^_^

Lumasnati
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Well. For me. It doesn't matter what size you are in order to cosplay. Unfortunately, I am more of a heavy set person around the waist and I am cosplaying a GUY who has REALLY small hips. I am fine with doing it because it's something I love. You don't need the body to do it as long as it makes you happy...

But with that said..

If you know you can do it, FINISH the costume. Don't half-arse it and try to pass it off. X__X; I know someone who did a Gunner Yuna and didn't do a very good job. She didn't put much into it and it's sad.
Just... Do a GOOD job!

I'm going to be Axel from KH2 at AnimeUSA. I'm so nervous because I'm partially overweight but I am going to try it anyway. ^^;;

galaxiahime
10-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Personally, I think I need to lose weight, period, and especially before I put forth any particular cosplay plans that I have. However, that's just me and my comfort with my body.
If someone is truly comfortable with themselves and can get a costume to flatter their body, then more power to them. I look for great, well-crafted costumes, and part of that is flattering the body that's wearing it, no matter what size.

In the end, the costume should make the cosplayer feel good about themselves, no matter how big or how small they are. If you're unhappy, then what's the point?

Kakashi101
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
It's not always weight as I've noticed. I'm a 6'1 stick, and did Lady Yuna. And trust me, I got the same look of 'uhhh...isn't Yuna only 5'2?' F(%king stats. -_- PLUS I had boot on that gave me a good 3 inchs of heel. I was a FOOT taller than my Tidus. So if it was all up to the way you look- I would be able only to crossplay Sanzo or Vash! lol.

Mew_Pudding
10-28-2006, 11:42 PM
I take it into consideration but...often not enough.

I made Testament from Guilty Gear and I am 5'2" 105 pounds. =.= Testament is 6' 1" and a man xD;;; Sooo, that didnt work out, I was like "chibi" I suppose.

When I get up to around say like 110, then no, I wouldnt wear anything stomach revealing, so I plan my costumes according to my weight I guess. But, not really height. ^^;;;

Kuro Yue
10-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah, height seems to play a big factor in costumes, too.

I love the 'chibi' excuse. :3 Especially since I'll need it for the character I want to do - he's 6'6", and I'm only 5'2". XD

Oosaji
10-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I tend to take my size in to consideration, but I only worry about it, not do any thing. xD I'm about 5 inches too short to cosplay Fayt Leingod, probably just as much for Mello, binding probably won't help much with my chest, and I'm like some rap guy's girlfriend with my butt. I'm in no way manly, except for my face.

All that seriously bothers me, but I'm going to do my cosplays any way, even if it means whining the whole weekend about how much I killed the characters. nn;

Byn
10-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Heh, I think it'd be awesome if people purposely did chibi characters, or do people already do that? ^^;; That's definately something I'd consider doing. XD Just so I don't wander off topic...

I'm going to try and gain some weight in both fat and muscle factor 'cause I'm pretty much a twig with a butt XD Wish me luck!

PepeluTivursky
10-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Pft.
I'm 5'4" and weigh around 200-230. Or something. You know, I haven't checked in forever. I just know I can wear anywhere from an 18-22 or a 2XL in most things if I want some room, an XL in others.
I don't wear skimpy things because in RL, the skimpiest I get is showing off a little cleavage now and then. I know I'm a big gal, I know I have a stomach and I don't want to show it off.
I would like to lose weight but that will happen in due time. Where I'm at right now isn't conducive to losing weight but hopefully I'll be able to take up some walking soon.

Elendriel
10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
As a lot of people have said, I definitely agree with the fact that so long as you tailor the costume to fit YOUR body, then it's going to look fantastic, no matter what size you are

people should be free to cosplay as their favourite characters and not feel like they can't because of their size.

For example, I cosplay Hitsugaya (Bleach) and Alphonse Elric (FMA) and it works well because I am very short (5'2") I also cosplay Wrath from FMA, because he's short.

but then I have ones like my Itachi and Thief Yuna, where I need to be slightly taller. (not by too much) So I work out ways to get heels in the costume without making it evident I'm doing so. You just gotta find ways to do it :D If you love the character, cosplay them! :)

As for judging, I only know what I've heard from others (I haven't been judged before) but I should think that the way you present yourself and the way your costume is made (if it's tailored correctly, etc) is what goes over well for the judges. Like someone said before, you can be a size 20 and pulll of an AMAZING cosplay :)

so don't fret! Just go for it :D

fubuki
10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
I think that there are some costumes that people over a certain weight limit should not wear. But then again, it really depends on teh costume and teh cosplayer.

Solid_psyco
10-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Me and my boyfriend do take our heighth and our body shapes into consideration. For example I'm 5'3" 115 lbs. kinda small on top, I would never ever cosplay someone's body type like Lulu from FFX. There's no way I could pull it off without looking fake, same with Ceres Victoria (Hellsing).

It's the most important attribute towards accurate cosplay, (which is what we really want to do) we want people to instantly recognize the characters were cosplaying as. We also want people to recognize all of our hard work we've put into our outfits. We love cosplaying very much, but we want to bring the characters to life!^_^ And love the challenge of doing so!

Mew_Pudding
10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Imma be pretty honest here, Yes there are nice people, most cosplayers tend to be, but there are also the rude people who will comment on how you look. I tend to be rather scared when wearing a skimpy outfit because I feel that people are like thinking I look terrible in it. <_< >_> <_<

Is that just me being paranoid?

Well what Im really asking is, is choosing not to wear a skimpy costume because of YOUR choice or because of what you think other people will think?

Sorry if this is off topic or something o__o

Elendriel
10-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Imma be pretty honest here, Yes there are nice people, most cosplayers tend to be, but there are also the rude people who will comment on how you look. I tend to be rather scared when wearing a skimpy outfit because I feel that people are like thinking I look terrible in it. <_< >_> <_<

Is that just me being paranoid?

Well what Im really asking is, is choosing not to wear a skimpy costume because of YOUR choice or because of what you think other people will think?

Sorry if this is off topic or something o__o

No, I totally agree with you Mew_Pudding. I get nervous when I wear, let's say... my Thief Yuna costume. I don't know what people are thinking, and I'm hoping it's not "man, she should NOT be wearing that" etc

I agree about the fact that there are rude people out there. One of my friends had a run in with someone cosplaying Squall (and not very well, so she had no room to talk) and was like, Oh, you're doing Namine? (to my friend) Well, its not going to be very good... etc etc.

Just not cool

so no, you're not being paranoid

as for your question... hm.. well I think it's YOUR choice really, after all, its your body, its what you choose to wear. But I think that the "what people think" sometimes factors into it (not always)

I mean, heck, I"m going as Wrath to Youmacon and I'm a little nervous

QueenNerd111889
09-01-2007, 04:59 PM
hum,no one's updated on this thread for a while!But i shall now,lol.
I'm not a big girl,I'm 'chubby'..i guess.But not big!
My hips are 39(at the fullest),my waist is 28,and my bust is 35.
I'm 5' (maybe 5'1"),and at the moment about 135.
I don't consider myself fat,I just need to tone up.
And within four months cuz this chubbers is going as theif Rikku to ohayocon!!
::fist pump::DEAL WITH IT mean people of the world

Mangochutney
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Protip: if you tell people you're chubby, they'll see chub on you. If you don't, they're much less likely to notice.

anomalie
09-01-2007, 05:25 PM

I was thinking about making a sailor saturn outfit this year, but unfortunately I have a very blocky appearance due to the weight gain after several months. Since Sailor Saturn is very slender and fraile in appearance, it just wouldn't work to be her with my thick thighs and wide hips.

I was just wondering if any other cosplayers out there take this into consideration when or before making a costume.

For instance, if you are a size 16-18, would you even *think* about making a Lum costume or Naga (from slayers)?

Or what if you are overly slender? Would you make a costume of Wakka or Barrett from FF if you are short and extremely skinny?

By now everyone reading this is probably thinking, "I'm a size ____ and I'm gonna go as whoever the HELL I want!!" Understood, I just simply wanted to know if anyone personally took their weight into consideration when they think of a character to cosplay as.

I think it's very smart to be body-conscious. Some clothes just don't work on some bodytypes, and no that's not being cruel, it's just a fact. We all know horizontal stripes can make a tummy look wider, right?

That being said... I think if someone of a larger proportion wants to cosplay a character who is very slim (and potentially wears revealing clothes), that's totally fine if that's what that person is comfortable with. However, adjustments can be made to the outfit to make it fit YOUR body, which will make it more flattering. :) The revealing clothing is a little more difficult because there isn't much fabric to work with. It's just a matter of personal digression, I suppose.

When I was a size 13/14, I wouldn't have dressed as Leeloo (http://www.cosplayprodigy.com/Leeloo_front.jpg). Such a revealing outfit with horizontal lines (and worn by someone as tall and slim as Milla) would make me look a lot heavier than I actually was (I have very narrow hips, so I was basically a bulgy rectangle). It wouldn't be flattering to my body type at all, and there isn't really much I could change to make it fit right.

I'm a size 7 now, and so that's something I might be able to pull off now. But there are still characters I might avoid playing just because I don't have the right body. I'm not terribly curvy (as I said: narrow hips, and also not-so-stacked). If there's a character I like who is very curvy, I might not play her just because I would probably look emaciated or something (this depends, obviously).

As I said before - sometimes minor adjustments to the structure of the outfit can be made to make the costume work for YOU. :) It's always important to feel comfortable in your body. Wearing something that doesn't fit the body you have could bring your esteem way down (and wearing as little as possible does not necessarily indicate that you are secure).

kayanimelover
09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Well I Take Both into consideration I wanted to go as Eureka But I thought she was to little for me to play I'm almost 5'6 and I'm Some one more like winry Would fit My Body type I Try My Best to already Look the the People I wanna Be

EastCoastKing
09-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Speaking as a man, I also take my body-size/weight into consideration when making a costume. I am 5'8" and quite skinny. While this is not completely restrictive, I do nonetheless steer clear of trying to do a really muscular character like Goku. Now, I do exercise and try to get the appropriate shape for some costumes, but as a general rule, I stay realistic about what costumes I would look best in.

madame morte
09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
While I'm not overweight, I am very insecure and self-conscious. I wouldn't want to wear a costume that would make me feel even more uncomfortable. Like many people have said, a costume that is flattering to your figure is more important than your build.

Queen Anime 99
09-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Miss_Diko, I completely understand where you are coming from. I am actually really thin and short, but sometimes I think what if I wanted to do very muscular characters or characters who are a bit more full-figured than I am? This is something I struggle with every time I decide who I am going to cosplay as. However, THE most important rule of cosplay is too be YOUR favorite character and to HAVE FUN.

Even if you're really tall and you want to be Ed from Full Metal Alchemist (REALLY short dude), you should be him. Some people will complain that "you're too tall to cosplay as Ed," but these people have forgotten what cosplay really is. It ISN'T a job. You don't HAVE to be a carbon copy. Even though this doesn't pertain to weight, I have cosplayed as 6 ft. tall characters (I'm 5 ft. 2 in.) and I have cosplayed as characters who have a lighter skin color than my own. Now, I could skip over them because they don't look like me, but you know what? I wouldn't be my favorite characters then.

If you want to be Sailor Saturn, BE her. (Few people look like her anyway. ^_^) I have yet to really want to do a character that is full-figured or really muscular (For some odd reason, most of my fav characters happen to be around my weight and height ^_^;), but when that time comes, I WILL do that person.

There will be haters, but these people have forgotten the golden rules of cosplay. Don't let them stop you from having fun. Now, some people do choose cosplays that fit their body shape, weight, height, skin color, etc. but you don't HAVE to. However, you HAVE to have a good time. If you're not doing that, there's no point in cosplaying.

Reiko
09-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Wow this much be a favorite subject for this place.. lol sorry had to make a joke there.

But seriously....I think people should cosplay what they feel comfy with... if your a little heavy like I am...I dont feel comfy wearing Naga or Lum... thats just me

yes people will have there views and if you get offended easily, then maybe you should alter that costume to have a better fit. I have judged at con and have seen people alter outfits to better fit them... and most did it ever tastlfully. In fact I do it most of the time.. I KNOW I'm not skinny ...I know I'm not the biggest in the world but I cosplay what I feel comfy with not what other people say.

:)

DigitalLove
09-02-2007, 02:53 AM
be whoever you want to be, but remember that characters in skimpy costumes more often than not exude confidence. if you aren't 100% comfortable in your own skin, i wouldn't do it because even if people don't comment, the stares will drag you down. i remember cosplaying as L (i had three hours to make a costume, GIVE ME A BREAK) and being self conscious 'cause i forgot to paint my nails black...

GreyCat
09-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Yeah, i was reading the first page or so and would like to ask people out there about Felicia from darkstalkers.
I would think that since her costume (or lack there of) is so darn skimpy, the tiny girls or guys would cosplay her. Would it be odd though for a 14-18 to cosplay as her? I can't seem to think of anyway to make her bits of fur make a slimming profile.
What are your thoughts, guys, on this?

Oshi
09-02-2007, 04:14 AM
Let's just say, this (http://teh-oshi.net/stuff/snapshot20070902023128.jpg) is inspiring me to finally get around to toning up my torso a fair bit. And I am long overdue for getting my ass moving to work out, heh.
This is more a matter of personal comfort to me... I haven't been happy with my body, so my cosplays have reflected the urge to cover myself up, you may notice, hahah. So yeah, I want to trim the fat if I'm gonna pull off epic Chouginga-Dai-Gurren-Dan Simon with great justice.

GreyCat: As long as you feel comfortable with it, I think you'd do alright as Felicia.

Reiko
09-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Let's just say, this (http://teh-oshi.net/stuff/snapshot20070902023128.jpg) is inspiring me to finally get around to toning up my torso a fair bit. And I am long overdue for getting my ass moving to work out, heh.
This is more a matter of personal comfort to me... I haven't been happy with my body, so my cosplays have reflected the urge to cover myself up, you may notice, hahah. So yeah, I want to trim the fat if I'm gonna pull off epic Chouginga-Dai-Gurren-Dan Simon with great justice.

GreyCat: As long as you feel comfortable with it, I think you'd do alright as Felicia.

Wow Oshi's back?

I do have to say covering yourself up is a good idea... lol j/k

but I seriously I have to agree with you on that :)

YUKAI-HANA ☆
09-02-2007, 04:36 AM
be whoever you want to be, but remember that characters in skimpy costumes more often than not exude confidence. if you aren't 100% comfortable in your own skin, i wouldn't do it because even if people don't comment, the stares will drag you down. i remember cosplaying as L (i had three hours to make a costume, GIVE ME A BREAK) and being self conscious 'cause i forgot to paint my nails black...

YEAH I think even if you were happy about your costume and not insecure at the least you would still get critisized by other people or stared at and made fun of .

Oshi
09-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I do have to say covering yourself up is a good idea... lol j/k
Yeah, there's still the issue of my grotesque face! :P

soylatte
09-03-2007, 08:51 PM
i avoid fighting game characters because i don't have any muscle definition. i'm more drawn to mage type characters anyway :P

i take in consideration 3 things when i pick a character

1. love of the character/story
2. skill level of costume/prop
3. resemblance- height, body-type, personality

in that order of importance. i've developed a decent level of confidence but i'm still self-conscious, so i really couldn't pick a character without factoring all three of these.

if someone develops thick enough skin to cosplay whatever without caring what others say/think i say congratulations, you go!:rockon:

kim-tram
09-04-2007, 11:42 AM
there are three main factors that i consider when choosing my characters

1. height => i measure myself to the group. and if my character is suppose to be one of the shortest ones (which it usually is) then i'll go as her (no crossplay for me yet)

2. weight => if the outfit shows some skin, then i have to see if i can pull it off well. i'm currently getting into shape for when i have to show my legs and tummy when i dress up as Rikku (KH2 version) and Yuffie

3. I gotta like the character! XD

LadyHawke78
09-04-2007, 11:56 AM
I 100% take my weight, height, bone frame, and age into account when choosing costumes (along with liking the character design.) I will admit, that it is making it increasingly difficult to CHOOSE appropriate costumes (I'll be 29 tomorrow, and I'm almost 5'10" and 150-some odd pounds...) but I do not mind.

When I cosplay, thre are times that I tend to go for that "lookalike" quality. If you are cosplaying just for fun and the love of the character, I would say it is fine to put less of an emphasis on body shape etc, but if you want to really WOW people with your portrayal of a certain character, then you should resemble them somewhat. I say "somewhat" because I KNOW that humans are NOT built like anime characters!

As much as I ADORE my Lady Subaru costume, I KNOW that I am far too tall to pull her off in a "lookalike" way. I completely trashed the idea of making a Haruko cosplay halfway through construction because I knew that I could never be thin enough to pull off a convincing version of the character. I retired my Reki (Haibane Renmei) costume after one wearing because her black hair completely washed me out and made me look sickly in pictures. (Actually, both of the cosplays I have planned now are blondes-- go figure! I simply look best with lighter hair.)

So, yeah. I am extremely picky about character design and how it works for me. But that's just me. I'm not saying that others need to do the same, it's just the way I roll...

Cyanide Codon
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm one of the people who's so short that nearly every character I could be is too tall for me to play as.

So basically, I say "oh well" and play them anyway. Hoho.

Dragontrap
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I think that instead of worrying about the weight, people should worry more about how a costume will look on them and if their body type will work with costumes that may be showing a bit too much skin.

For example, I wouldn't expect someone who has a rather large frame to cosplay someone such as Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist. For one thing, the body type is JUST as important (if not more so) than the costume. If you have a larger build and are not very athletic looking, you may want to steer away from the costume simply because you almost have to have the right type of body structure to pull it off (This does happen quite often, people will choose a costume that does not suit their body type at all, and this can seriously ruin even the best constructed of costumes when this small detail is not taken into account).

So to go along with what others have said, so long as you can make a costume work with your body type, and make it work WELL, then there are almost no limits to what a person can play.