PDA

View Full Version : X-Men 3 : Shadowcat

stefaniecat
10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Well, I've seen the general X-Men threads, and the discussions on costuming the uniforms in general... I've searched online for pictures, pondered intently, and come to some conclusions that I'd like some feedback on...

Here's some reference pics of her specific costume:
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/stefaniecat/

1) The costume looks like mainly leather, but with some 'vent pannels' that might be a more stretchable/breathable material...any ideas on what that might be? Specificaly along the arm top, around the shoulder pad, and down the side of the torso.

Then the hip and back diamond seems to be of some sort of ribbed material?

2) Leather is best, of course, for this costume. My machine can't sew leather though... a vinyl or pleather that's thin might work instead?

3) The Kwik Sew Pattern (3052 (http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3032_3057/3052.cfm))
seems like a likely starting place. However, since the pattern is designed for major stretch fabric... I should do... what?

4) Any other advice for someone looking at attempting what will probably be her most difficult costume ever?

Razia
10-13-2006, 04:38 PM
1) The costume looks like mainly leather, but with some 'vent pannels' that might be a more stretchable/breathable material...any ideas on what that might be?I'd say lycra/spandex. If not, I'd think that would be a good substitute.

2) Leather is best, of course, for this costume. My machine can't sew leather though... a vinyl or pleather that's thin might work instead?Definitely go with vinyl, preferably the stretchy kind--it's easier to find and much cheaper.

3) The Kwik Sew Pattern (3052 (http://www.kwiksew.com/Patterns/P3032_3057/3052.cfm))
seems like a likely starting place. However, since the pattern is designed for major stretch fabric... I should do... what?Well, I've already suggested stretch vinyl, so as long as there's a zipper that goes up the back there shouldn't be a problem. May not be AS stretchy as what the pattern calls for, but I don't forsee it being a problem.

Then the hip and back diamond seems to be of some sort of ribbed material?For those areas, I would put some thin batting behind the vinyl and just stich in some lines that are parallel to each other, and a few inches apart (effectively creating your own ribbed material ^.^), since I've never really seen fabric like that.

Hope that helped somewhat.

stefaniecat
10-13-2006, 10:12 PM
That is actually a really big help, just in finding out if my postulates are in any way accurate.

I've been contemplating "alternate" ways to do the costume involving buying a pre-made catsuit thingy (which isn't going to happen as none of them are made with the wide-leg look) or going with a two-piece set-up of pants and jacket and making it look 'close enough'...

I've also started on a broadcloth version of the outfit, just to find out if I made the pattern large enough to do in vinyl before I actually waste vinyl on it. We'll see how that turns out.