PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Tools of the Trade

sanjuan
10-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Ahoy there everyone!
I was wondering what sort of not-so-traditional equipment have you used in the past to help take your shots? The only ones that I have been able to think of, thus far are wax paper (For softening up/diffusing flash) and a beanbag (As a makeshift "tripod"). I've always been fascinated by the Macgyver complex, being able to solve solutions using simple things and wanted to see if it can be applied to convention shooting.

jtnishi
10-11-2006, 02:51 AM
Well, I did use some fancy decorative gauze or something like that as a wedding as a diffuser for my flash, but given that I've heard people use tissue for that type of stuff, I'm pretty sure I'm well out of the MacGuyver range. :P

From a website I had read, I had hoped that a cellphone handsfree wired set would work properly as a wired remote for my XT, but it hasn't liked it yet. Still need to test if people in shiny outfits would make proper reflectors, though. Ziggy, any luck testing that with your Zack outfit? XD

Sleepy
10-11-2006, 03:22 AM
Folded lense paper taped over my flash to soften the output.

ZiggyB
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
jtnishi: Hahaha, no not yet. I think it would be too distracting honestly. ;-)

shiroin
10-15-2006, 03:17 PM
How does this sound, three external flashes at different levels of output (each has a difference of 1/3 stops) to created a nice balanced and smooth lighting?

http://r-pai.com/temp/DSCF1040.jpg

Fancy Frontier 8
July 29, 2006
National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan

Nikon D2Xs
AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm F/2.8G
Nikon SB-800 X 2
Nikon SB-600

Another time a girl volunteered to do off camera flash for me ^^

http://r-pai.com/temp/144df5056e1d61.jpg

Comic World Taiwan 13
August 13, 2006
National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan

Nikon D2Xs
Tamrom AF 28-75 XR Di F/2.8D
Nikon SB-800 X 2

staereo
10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
I *think* the OP meant non traditional tools, as in equipment that is not usually associated with photography. Although, I am always open to having a technique based thread too!
:bigtu:
Bruce

Trelyon
10-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Ahoy there everyone!
I was wondering what sort of not-so-traditional equipment have you used in the past to help take your shots? The only ones that I have been able to think of, thus far are wax paper (For softening up/diffusing flash) and a beanbag (As a makeshift "tripod"). I've always been fascinated by the Macgyver complex, being able to solve solutions using simple things and wanted to see if it can be applied to convention shooting.

my pro works are taking pixs of volleyball games... i used woodworking clamps to attach my cam to the high ref's platform... and cheap plastic bug deflector to protect the set-up from 100+ mph balls... not very Macgyverish... but it works ;)

at cosplay con... since 65% cosplayers are female... i use my g/f to make the cosplayers feel less neverous in front of the camera... ::evil grins:: most of the time i'm in cosplay as well that seem to help :)

Fighterspledge
10-17-2006, 12:54 AM
I think your g/f would give you a hard time if she knew that you called her a tool haha. ^^

sanjuan
11-01-2006, 10:05 AM
I think your g/f would give you a hard time if she knew that you called her a tool haha. ^^

One must tap all his resources to yield maximum output :D

Trelyon, I used to work at a hockey arena and during my breaks I would try to get some shots of the action. Mind you I didn't get to use wood, but I did have rocks to keep the camera in place XD

Shiroin, the extra flash addons make your camera look like something out of a sci-fi movie :D really cool! How did the photographs turn out?

Efecss
11-03-2006, 01:17 AM
One thing that no one has mentioned...

DUCT TAPE.

But, I have been also been using a tape measure sometimes to measure distances.

staereo
11-03-2006, 06:37 AM
duct tape, also gaffers tape I find to be used even more, and sometimes even drafting tape if im in a pinch

djaxle
11-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Rope. I tied up the legs of the tripod with the camera on it, lowered it down into a hole, with it ready to take a photo to see what was underneath the large metal plate.

kojirojames2004
11-04-2006, 02:06 PM
"Duct tape, also gaffers tape I find to be used even more, and sometimes even drafting tape if im in a pinch."

I think Duct tape and gaffer's tape are one in the same IIRC. In NASCAR, they also call it 200 mile per hour tape.

staereo
11-04-2006, 05:20 PM
No, gaffers tape doesn't damage surfaces the way duct tape can when you pull it off. ^^

sanjuan
11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh Duct tape, it should belong in the tool-box, backpack or purse of every man, woman and child!