PDA

View Full Version : Flooding, Taxi Information, and Flight Changes! Oh My!

Cherry
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey guys. This is a general bulletin that I didn't know where else to put, and since our webmaster on Oni-Con.com is pretty much swamped right now, I figured I'd put the information here and just hope that it travels well by word of mouth.

Flooding and Bad Weather:
While the weather is thankfully going to drop to very cool over the course of the weekend, there has been severe flooding in Houston, Texas the past day or two. While this shouldn't effect the weather at Oni-Con, there has been talk of more rain. Just in case, I want to encoruage everyone to be safe on the road, and make sure you have proper maps of where you are going.

If you encounter any high water, please make sure to be safe. Since the convention center is right off the highway, there is little chance that there will be flooding, but I just want to make sure everyone is aware.

Flight Changes?!:
It has come to my attention that for -some reason- some of the flights into Houston have been randomly changed without telling the passengers. I'm not sure what airlines are doing this, or exactly why (I think it might be the weather?), but I just want to inform everyone to PLEASE CHECK YOUR ITINERARY. Make sure that you are leaving when you think you are if you intend on coming in to Houston via plane.

Taxi Information!:
Now why most of you don't NEED taxis, the reason I am including this is because as of two weeks ago, Houston passed a new bill that allows ANYONE to hail a taxi downtown, and travel anywhere else downtown for only $5.00. You can share this fair among four people, as well (That's right! One dollar a person!).

This is ONLY for traveling within the downtown area, but is very nice if you'd like to escape the hotel for an evening and go to one of Houston's fine resturants. There are tons, but some are over three or four blocks away, if not more. This is just an 'in case you want to know this' thing.

Also, in Downtown Houston there is a train called the "Light Rail" that extends along mainstreet. Please be mindful of it, and obey all traffic lights. People running them have been hit by the train before.

I think that's all. The convention center we're in has a Starbucks in it, and there are tons of resturants around downtown Houston.

If anyone has any other questions about general convention stuff, put them here, and try to pass this information along!

Thanks guys!
Be safe! :D

Cherry
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
*Bump* :O

SolarVortex
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Thank you, Cherry!!! For extremely useful/helpfull information!
I will let all 15 of my LARP friends traveling from Mississippi on over to Houston this weekend know.

I think most of us are carpooling it though.. But I myself can't drive in the rain... I get cold and feel this huge weight on me.. hehe. I'll find someone who doesn't mind driving in the rain to come with me in my car- just incase.

^.^
-Dicekay.

PockyFairy
10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks so much for the info. Good stuffs to know!

Lady Saea
10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
You are amazing. Will you tuck me in to bed too? (meant in poking fun. ^.^)

Thats good info to know. I'm sure the taxi deal will come in handy.

I hope everyone heeds her advice and is careful. :D See ya at the con.

Pharaoh Atem
10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
You're the best mom' ever.

Seriously, though ~The lengths you go at to keep the community informed is always really impressive.

Have a safe trip everyone. ^^

Ludger03
10-17-2006, 10:49 PM
i also want to note that the houston center is close to the hilton. it also has food places. and if you take the light rail, it will take you to a squared and there are more food places.

also those houstonians out there who have heard or not of the tunnel underneath Downtown. there a food court there so anyone who wants to explore and its close to the hilton. just walking wont effect anyone and its a good idea to stay shape.

rabidfanboy
10-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Damn, the weather has been that bad down there. I knew there was gonna be some rain, but I didn't know about any flooding. What a difference from last year.

Cherry
10-18-2006, 01:13 AM
There is additionally a tunnel system that runs underneath Houston that's practically a second city. Tons of places to go and see, but at the convention center and Hilton, there will be MANY maps to use at your disposal.

Remember to call a taxi-cab if you have over five blocks to walk, as it's cheap and easy to use. :( No muggings plz.

. . . And LOL at the Mom comments. XD I have multiple cosplayers who end up calling me and Gren "Cherry-Pa and Gren-Ma". Or just mom and dad. We can't help that we fret so much over everyone. :( I just feel like if I'm in a position to help, I need to do it 100% and not just half do it.

Like I said, if anyone has anymore concerns or questions about anything, please ask. Be sure to pick up maps upon check-in!

Ludger03
10-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Damn, the weather has been that bad down there. I knew there was gonna be some rain, but I didn't know about any flooding. What a difference from last year.

Yeah that bad that school was cancel along with universities.
but i do hope the weather calms down. its seems every time its a bad storm the next day we got nothing but bright day and clouds. ^^""

Hee-Hee
10-18-2006, 01:50 AM
-Nod nod.- M'hmm! Gotta watch out for that Lightrail system.

trevinokenjiro
10-18-2006, 01:59 AM
This is so sweet ^_^ heheh.
ya as soon as i heard about the flooding. i went to the oni-con site just to see if any changes were made. I didnt notice any...but i was worried how it might effect the con & people going to the con. I hope everyone is well n safe? N please be safe getting to the con!

rabidfanboy
10-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Yeah that bad that school was cancel along with universities.
but i do hope the weather calms down. its seems every time its a bad storm the next day we got nothing but bright day and clouds. ^^""

I've now also heard that some highways had been closed. I really hope the rain's not too much of a problem tomorrow morning for my drive down there. :(

Thanks for the heads up on this Cherry.

Lady Saea
10-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Don't be surprised if I come running up to your Kefka calling you mom. XD

*takes a minute to examine the implications of a Sephy calling Kefka mom. O.o; *

Ludger03
10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I've now also heard that some highways had been closed. I really hope the rain's not too much of a problem tomorrow morning for my drive down there. :(

Thanks for the heads up on this Cherry.

the highways might re-open soon, i would check the news for more details.
yeah so i suggest everyone to go slow when the road is wet. it can be tricky and dangerous.

also here http://www.ridemetro.org/index.asp website in case somone wants to know what buses run through george r brown. or is planning to take them to go to places as well.

Malicious
10-19-2006, 12:27 AM
ooo cold weather...can't wait... i get hot easily....it'll be nice to stand outside in cool air... it was pretty muggy today :/

MewKilalaMew
10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
It was actually very nice today here in Houston. I do believe it is supposed to be clear on Friday and then Saturday and Sunday there is a chance of rain. I am so SICK of rain! Lol. I'm just glad it was nice out today, even though I stayed in most of the time.

rabidfanboy
10-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Yay! Not a drop of rain on my drive down this morning. The weather was awesome once I got here. ^_^

Ludger03
10-20-2006, 12:29 AM
yup fine weather. the night's air is cool but its great.