PDA

View Full Version : What did you think?

tahiti
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Overall, I enjoyed Oni-con very much. I was SO happy to see the cosplay contest judged by cosplayers, and it was run very well. I'm happy to say that Oni-Con was my first cosplay contest experience, and it was a good one. Keep up the good work, cosplay staff!
The pose-off was HILARIOUS, and I learned a lot from the wig panel, and talking to Space Invader. (Thanks again for answering my questions, Space Invader. You are teh awesome!)
Sadly, I missed most of the masquerade, but I did come in towards the end, and it was fun. If I can go next year, I'll have to make it for the whole time.

The only things that annoyed me were the fact that there was only one voice actor panel, and some of the congoers. I really wanted to see the voice actors from Tactics, but they were so early in the day on Friday, both my sister and I missed them (and we had our Tactics costumes with us), and it didn't look like there were any other times for us to see them. I'm guessing that's more of scheduling problem, but it was disappointing, because we were both looking forward to showing them some Tactics love.

Now.. for the congoers. For the most part, they were awesome. But it's usually the few that ruin it for everyone. While wearing my Flower Card costume, I got A LOT of rude comments. Most of them were quotes from the Shrek movie, and questions like "You're Shrek, right?". Usually, I don't let things like that bother me, but because it was over and over, and people felt the need to FOLLOW ME and walk behind me and say those kinds of things that was annoying. I've never really experienced anything like that at any other con I've gone to, so it was a surprise.

But in spite of all that, I was really happy with Oni-Con. Now I'm looking forward to the possibility of Ikki-con, and then Anime Matsuri.
Any other thoughts?

FE Freak
10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I wasnt too impreseed with this year's Oni-con,i disliked the lack of signs,and everything being really spread out.I didnt see too much cosplayers i liked.Did anyone see Snake in that box? The con was so-so for me.

AiyaKasai
10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I thought it was pretty bad and boring. No really good events...not alot of peeps cosplayed...I mean last year that was quite a few....but this year I saw alot of people just going as themselves. The best part was the Ouran Host Club meet up

Kiomi
10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
sorry guys...it was pretty bad..I didn't see to many people. Pretty much no cosplayers and...it was hard to find places... not many good events.

Wuffers
10-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Here's my opinion:

It was better than last year and somewhat better than A-Kon this year. There is still work that needs to be done, but I think they understand this and will fix it for next year -- it IS only about 3 years old people. It will take time to get it better seeing as how all cons - even the older ones - still have something to work on no matter how hard they try to fix it.

They needed to get a better time for the Masquerade Ball. Even put it on Friday that way we didn't have to go from masquerade costume to rave costume. However, I find this understandable because - again - this con is still a work in progress.

I had fun with what little Kingdom Hearts photoshoot there was, even if it did turn into more of an Organization XIII photoshoot.

rabidfanboy
10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about the layout of the convention center yet (if they were to hold it there again next year), but I did like the Hilton. A larger, more diversely stocked dealers room and more programming to fill the space would be nicer. I was disappointed I didn't manage to get Amano's signature because that was going on at the same time as the cosplay rehearsal. I stayed at the Q&A as long as I could (till 4:25pm) but had to leave in order to get in costume. It just sucked that they scheduled it so the last hour of the Q&A was also the first hour of the autograph session. Should have just listed the autograph session as 5pm-6pm. Wouldn't of wasted my time sitting there and then having to rush to get into costume. Also how the masquerade was handled was a letdown. As we're exiting the cosplay contest they're telling us the masq has already started and to go straight there?! Don't they realize a lot of us were in uncomfortable costumes/needed to change/needed to go bathroom. By the time we got out of costume, got are masks and got back to the convention center it was already over. I just think the rave could have been pushed back an hour (since it went to like what 3am) or they could have held it in another room (provided they had another room.) I just know I saw a bunch of people with very intricate and neat masks that were upset they wouldn't get a chance to show off what they had been working on.

Highlights for me though would be:

The folks I roomed with. I had fun hanging out with you guys and look forward to seeing y'all again at the next con.

Cosplay contest. I liked that Cherry planned some entertainment for the break during judging. I enjoyed standing and talking with the Spawn and Jenova cosplayers during the contest. (Also winning something was nice! ^_^b )

I actually managed to attend two panels this time around (yay!) Happy I made it to Space Invader and Gren's wig panel. I picked up two good tips one of which I've been wondering about for a while.

I had a blast hanging out with people in the lobby of the hotel and the lounge on our floor Saturday night (drunk cowboy guy FTW!!!!!!) Had a blast playing Apples to Apples with Astillar, PockyFairy and this group of girls (I believe they were the best skit group?)

Overall I had a good time and had some fun. But next year guys...COSPLAY MORE!!!!!

And tahiti, your Flower Card costume rocks so those people can just f**k off.

Scortia
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
I greatly enjoyed the con. I supposed I didn't mind lack of events because I never go to them anyhow. Doing the Amano cosplay was fun... he drew my eye on my lyre and that will always amuse me now. :P The hotel was so beautiful it was sexy. No sinks exploded or floors flooded. Organization XIII was staying on floor 13... we did our skit (and despite the fact I rushed the audio a bit to fit 3 minutes) people were quoting it on Sunday so that was good. I didn't do artist alley so I finally could hang out with people this con. Spacey and Gren were fun at the wig panel. *stabbity!* I greatly enjoyed myself, best con in awhile,...despite being lost from lack of decent signs was a bit annoying from time to time.

I wish A-kon had their con at this place. *sigh*

Dark Ninja Kira
10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I really enjoyed this years Oni-Con, you have to admit it was A LOT better than last years Oni-Con. Things were kind of un-organized, but it was still a success none the less. People had fun and I think thats what matters. I enjoyed the Cosplay Contest a lot, I liked how they had raised seats so everyone could see even if they were in the back, I thought that was a big step up. The dealers room wasn't as big as I thought it was going to be, but hopefully next year there will be more venders than this year. I think the only thing that really got to me was that the Convention Center wouldn't let the Dealer's Room Venders seel food and drinks, meaning that we couldn't buy our Pocky and Ramune like we're all used to. Not to mention they over-priced them outside of the Dealer's Room ><...I greatly enjoyed the Rave, it was so much fun! I can't wait until the next Rave. I'm sure that Oni-Con 2007 will be better, seeing that it's still a young Con. so it still has some problems.

Ludger03
10-22-2006, 08:25 PM
.. for the congoers. For the most part, they were awesome. But it's usually the few that ruin it for everyone. While wearing my Flower Card costume, I got A LOT of rude comments.

so you were the flower girl at the post off? the costume was great i ws going to ask you what type of makeup you got for the green part, since i used ben nye for burstlady. hehe but its great. and sorry to hear bout the comments. we had deal with this long ago in the oni-con forum. story long...
(btw: i was the girl who was all the wya in the back with a tenchi muyo family and danzik call me"YAMI"))

the con was better then the previous ones i went, except they lack organizing, the rest was ok. first off, i was mad becuase PZ left. (if people have heard of PLanet zero then thumbs up for you^^))
they didnt let them sell ramune and pocky and that meant that no Parapara for people. so PZ was gone. again dissapointed.

i ahd trouble looking for the places, expecially the panels. the arcade was meh alright, but i would of wish abit more and i only saw DDR on friday then after that nothing. WTF?

the rest. i didnt see the concert but i did went to take a peek and it was good. the masquerade was good and so was the rave. the panels were awesome, expecially the pose off, the wig panel, boardies meetup and so on.
the photoshoots were also cool and i noticed a few were confuse which skybridge to meet up. darn it..
anything else the cosplay helped it and the panels did too.
The hotel was beautiful and man i give it thumbs up for it. the rooms were cozy and i was lucky to get my bed. hehe, but then i let people stay in my room besides the roomates i had.

TehKamzorz
10-22-2006, 09:00 PM
IT WAS SO GREAT!!! I loved the cosplayers and we made sooo many friends, yay!! The hotel was beautiful!! yayyy! The only bad things were that the dealers room vendors didn't have variety and poor Sephiroth's sword broke ;O; but its ok because his costume was so great <3

Kissmedeadly24
10-22-2006, 09:16 PM
I enjoyed the con as a whole, but there were points that were kind of bad. I guess it really just had it's ups and downs for me. The cosplay in my opinion was reeeeally rocky and the con had problems with scheduling and signs, but that didn't stop it from being fun. I met with a lot of people that I've met at past cons and ones that I've met here, so it was fun. I must say that even with it being alittle disorganized, I had a better time there than I did at Akon this year... Well the lack of chandeliers falling on me may have helped a bit.

tahiti
10-22-2006, 10:36 PM
so you were the flower girl at the post off? the costume was great i ws going to ask you what type of makeup you got for the green part, since i used ben nye for burstlady. hehe but its great. and sorry to hear bout the comments. we had deal with this long ago in the oni-con forum. story long...
(btw: i was the girl who was all the wya in the back with a tenchi muyo family and danzik call me"YAMI"))

Yep, that was me. Thank you for your compliments! My makeup was kind of thin for Oni-Con (I didn't realize I didn't have that much left and I wore it two nights in a row), but I'm glad it still had the same effect.
I used Paradise AQ makeup from Mehron (website: www.mehron.com) for the green base, and the Kryolan makeup from Cosworx for the designs on her forehead and chest. The one who recommended the Paradise AQ makeup was Youshi Semenjyu here on cosplay.com, and she uses it for her Youshi costume, and it looks fabulous. With any kind of the cream makeup, it's definitely worth it to get a powder setting and the spray setting, so that stuff won't budge.

I forgot to add in a big, huge, awesome THANK YOU to Cat-Chan for doing the cosplay contest with me, and signing up for us. I enjoyed it a lot and you make one awesome Sakura =D!!

Chibi Yunie
10-22-2006, 10:45 PM
I thought the convention was very, very good!! I don't really understand the complaints regarding it. O_O The hotel was a much better choice this time, and everything was nicely spread out - tons of room to mosey and *breathe*!

I think the cosplay was very well run - there was a few issues with the sound, but I think it's difficult to get sound right at any convention. Costumes and such were awesome, awesome people all around!

The Amano Showcase was awesome, and very nicely run. The lighting in the showcase was very dark however, and it seemed hard to get good shots. But WOW. Meeting Amano was stellarly cool. :D

The food thing was probably an ok idea, with the whole not selling stuff, but it made it hard for some con goers to eat, because the food was pricey! It was a better idea just to walk around downtown for food.

I just wish the convention wasn't over!! O.o ;.;

Etsu
10-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Did anyone see Snake in that box?
Yeah! My roommate (who has never been to a con before) said, "Hey, there's a box walking around," and I totally didn't believe her. Then we saw him at the cosplay contest, and I must say that it was a very creative costume.

The good: Amano cosplay showcase! :rockon: That was my first cosplay contest, and I had so much fun! Getting lost was kind of annoying, but I made new friends out of it. It was cool to see everyone's costumes and to be on-stage. Plus I got to meet Amano! :toothy: Many thanks to Cherry for making all of this possible.

The bad: Maybe it was b/c I wasn't around as long as I usually am, but I felt like there wasn't much to do. My friends who went also felt the same. There didn't seem to be as many cosplayers as other cons, but that might've been b/c everybody was in the contests when I was there. Furthermore, the dealer's room seemed to be small. Although it was nice not to be cramped in hallways, George R. Brown may be too big. I got lost so many times.

The "awww": It was so sweet when the guy proposed to his girlfriend during the cosplay contest.

tahiti - I thought your Flower Card costume was great. It annoys me to no end when people are rude to cosplayers (although I find it ironic that I dealt w/ more annoying people when I wasn't in costume on Thursday when I went to pick up the badges, which arrived late :mad: ).

Chibi Yunie
10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
The bad: Maybe it was b/c I wasn't around as long as I usually am, but I felt like there wasn't much to do. My friends who went also felt the same.

The "awww": It was so sweet when the guy proposed to his girlfriend during the cosplay contest.

You're kind of right. Although I enjoyed the con and the hotel immensely, it felt like there wasn't as much to do. Not that that's a bad thing, in certain cases.

That was awesome, I'm so excited for Megumi/Melissa! Many congrats!!!! :cheers:

Hee-Hee
10-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Aside from the obvious bad parts for me-- aka the hospitalization, etc, I rather liked Oni-con. Yeah, it was pretty spread out and it was kind of difficult to get from place to place because things were so closely scheduled together, but the people I met there definately made the entire weekend worth it. ^_^ Luv ye all!

Chibi Yunie
10-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh, HeeHee, you did the Paine? I Have a photo with you! I'll post it fairly soon. :) Awesome costume!

Hee-Hee
10-22-2006, 11:40 PM
^_^ Yep, that's me! Can't wait to see the picture-- I didn't get too many myself. Luv!

chisainekocat
10-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I felt Oni-con was OK. I thought the George R. Brown convention center would be a great improvement for the con, but instead it just got people lost and made the con look extremely empty-looking. However, the staff tried very hard to get a good selection of guests and events. There were plenty of extremely talented voice actors and cosplayers to choose from to attend panels for, and of course, there was the great Amano! Cherry definitely did the best she could to run the cosplay show, it was just unfortunate that a lot of obstacles came by (drums, sound issues, missing/sick cosplayers, etc). Overall, Oni-con faced a lot of problems, but I'm sure that the staff can persevere as it has been and continue to improve it year after year.

Tahiti-they had the nerve to follow you around and say stuff like that?? I wonder if cons have particular staff (security, maybe?) to contact for such situations...this is simply harassment and needs to be dealt with.

On the other hand, I thought it your green paint was well-done and your floaty pink dress was absolutely precious. You and Cat-chan made a great pair in the cosplay contest.

josshouse
10-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Oni was alright. It wasn't *bad* by any means, but I'll agree with chisainekocat-- that convention centre made the con seem pretty empty...and not con-like. Strange venue indeed. The lack of schedules and maps was pretty strange as well, but I had crazy fun nonetheless!!

The only thing that needs real complaining is some of the freaking psychopathic cosplayers this year. I haven't seen such disrespect and lack of common sense since that 'Yuffie' at A-Kon harassed our Aeris all weekend. The FMA shoot in particular was....just....fscking wow. People SCREAMING and running around the hotel lobby like idiots, and lots of hair-pulling and general retardation. Our Kimblee nearly got his ponytail destroyed, not to mention that yanking on someone's hairpiece is just not cool at all. The FMA fans scared the crap out of me at this con >_<

Chibi Yunie
10-23-2006, 12:41 AM
It sounds like there was a lot more harassment than I saw. The only instance I ran into was when someone outwardly insulted my boyfriend's Rude costume, pointing out how it was inaccurate and so on and so forth. Completely uncalled for, and out of place, especially for a convention. I think cosplayers need to learn to keep their mouths shut, or hands to themselves. -_-; (Put bluntly)

Oni was alright. It wasn't *bad* by any means, but I'll agree with chisainekocat-- that convention centre made the con seem pretty empty...and not con-like. Strange venue indeed. The lack of schedules and maps was pretty strange as well, but I had crazy fun nonetheless!!

The only thing that needs real complaining is some of the freaking psychopathic cosplayers this year. I haven't seen such disrespect and lack of common sense since that 'Yuffie' at A-Kon harassed our Aeris all weekend. The FMA shoot in particular was....just....fscking wow. People SCREAMING and running around the hotel lobby like idiots, and lots of hair-pulling and general retardation. Our Kimblee nearly got his ponytail destroyed, not to mention that yanking on someone's hairpiece is just not cool at all. The FMA fans scared the crap out of me at this con >_<

Cat-Chans
10-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, I planed a lot of photoshoots and gatherings (Naruto, Bleach, Flashlight tag, and game night)

and most of them fell through completely. No one showed up to the Naruto photoshoot at 12:30, and then someone rescheduled it at 2.
...which is when the Bleach shoot was.
And since we ended up with a lobby full of Ninjas and Shinigami we decided to go do a battle shoot.
AND I made the mistake of taking it outside.
We ended up loosing a half of our shinigami to heat exhaustion and then by the time we made it back inside to do the bleach shoot I had verry little time to run it becuase I had to change for cosplay.

I missed the amano showcase to try and scout out a place for flashlight tag and then no one (coughorganization13cough) showed up to play. We decided Bleach wins by default.

I also was really disapointed in the planning of the Ball. I know that it was given to Cherry last minute and I think she did amazing for running it and cosplay on the same night. My qualm is with the person that decided to shcedual it on Saturday. I don't know, in my mind I would think the people who would enjoy this event the most would be cosplayers...and what are cosplayers doing on Saturday?
WELL, they're in the cosplay show.

The whole con just seemed kind of dead to me. There really wern't people hanging out in the convention center...it was like deserted.

I'm putting Onicon a rank above A-kon this year, becuase Akon SUCKED
but it could use a lot of improvements, and I'm doubting I'll go next year.

Syphon
10-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I know how Organization skipped out on flashlight tag. Personally, I passed out in the room. I'm thankful I was on the bed.

The only thing I didn't like was the lack of a decent schedule. It was very empty looking, and certainly didn't have everything on it. Unless there were no voice actor autograph times other than the ones in the dealer's room, that is.

We (anti Sora and I) were lucky enough to latch ourselves onto the coolest batch of Turks/Organization members that ever did exist, and had some damn good times, even with a distinct lack of stuff to do.

As a "meet people and do crazy random fun stuff" con, I rate this one highest. As for stuff to do, guests to meet (easily and properly scheduled), etc....Not so good. So far, A-Kon wins for how well stuff is scheduled and kept to it. However, I had much more fun here than at a-kon this year.

SchizoIori
10-23-2006, 01:32 AM
I had a wonderful time. I do agree there was lots of unorganization and that I was saddened greatly about the masquerade ball since I made an outfit just for it. What would have been so wrong with keeping it on friday? I think it would have been better since the cosplay contest participants and audience could go. Otherwise a thank cherry for even trying to keep in on the schedule. I know she was stressed, but I think she did an amazing job. I truly enjoyed cosplay contest. I think more preparedness on part of the convention center staff, the con staff, and hotel staff could have help to solve lots of the problems. But I have no real complaints. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Amaya De'Morte
10-23-2006, 01:46 AM
I had a great time with everyone I got to hang out with/meet- and really enjoyed everything, despite sometimes battling a really big headache (and on friday a slight fever- but that's ok- I survived! (though a bit sweaty)

I especially found both cosplay events to be exceptional. Well run, well handled, and with an attetion to cosplayers that sometimes gets overlooked by others. Even if there were kinks here and there (you can't ever have something that large without one) The way they were solved was completely considerate and compassionate to cosplayers and others alike. Cherry- you did wonderfully. I'll definetly always be coming back for that ^^

And while the place was confusing, it was a great start in my opinion. Moving from a small venue to a much larger venue will always give problems- but they started working them out in the end^^ I'm sure next year will be even more amazing.

Pharaoh Atem
10-23-2006, 02:41 AM
I really had a blast.

Every Oni-Con I've been to seems to have the same story when I get back.

The convention itself had flaws, but it magically manages to be possibly the best convention experience all year. I really loved the hotel surroundings, and it was just a treat to be there, I didn't even wanna' leave on the last day, and didn't get out until about the time they were going to start charging parking for the next day.

Oni-Con is something magical, always manages to be a rockin' good time even if the convention itself is still ironing the kinks out. I wish it many good years to come.

LordDeus
10-23-2006, 02:46 AM
I enjoyed the con quite a bit myself. Hotel wise, it was definately an improvement from last years con. The convention center was maybe too big for the con itself, but like Chibi Yunie said, it gave us plenty of space to actually "breathe." So that was a definite plus. My only complaints were the fact that there wasn't as much to do as there has been before. That and the major disorganization on friday. I didn't pre-reg and got my badge in less than 10min... while my friends who did pre-reg, waited hours and hours. Lack of signs had us walking blindly down huge halls with empty rooms. Other than that though, we definately had fun and cannot wait til Ikkicon.

Hee-Hee
10-23-2006, 02:47 AM
I agree with everybody when they say that Cherry did an amazing job-- because she did! There was a lot of stress put on her with all of the rescheduling and problems that occurred, but she handled it all calmly (or at least that's how she played it off ^_^) and she took great care of me backstage when I had my little "ow"-fest.

Other than a few kinda rude staff members, those in charge of Oni-con did a great job, and I hope there are enough people to tell them that.

Yusuke Urameshi
10-23-2006, 03:02 AM
It's good that there were plenty of panels and main events going on, but as Cat-chan said...it kinda downed the socializing aspect of it, with the people sitting down in a room and all.

Personally, the times when I enjoyed myself the most is when I would get to prop my butt in the middle of the floor talking to people, and slowly, more people start to join the circle.

I'd like to request more...."empty time" in the scedule of events to give people time to just wander around without any place to be/missing something....or waiting in line.

Especially with the size of the convention area...which is WONDERFUL....too many events going on at the time time drains the people from the place and makes it seem dead.

other than that...

ONI-CON ROCKED!!!!!

wiltingflower
10-23-2006, 04:06 AM

I heard about the crazy FMA fangirls at the shoot. I remember someone telling me about how they were chasing the shirtless Ed around? I can't remember, Saturday is very hazy. I'm so sorry you had to put up with all of that (Izumi would NOT have tolerated that crap), but now I don't feel so bad that I missed it. >.<

Evil Kimba
10-23-2006, 08:26 AM
The con DID have its problems...However, I really enjoyed the con overall. I never got the chance to go to the panels I wanted to because Danzik and I were working the table when the panels were going on. T_T

The cosplay contest was definitely not a problem like it is at a few other cons...>> That being said, congratulations to all the winners and especially to Megumi and Omni. Now someone else knows how I felt at Ushicon 5 >.>

Danzikumaru
10-23-2006, 08:43 AM

A lot of complaints I've heard seem to be about the lack of programming and the disorginization of the programming they did have. All I have to say on this matter is this is the SHINING example of why your Con Chair and your Events Director do NOT need to be the SAME person. Crazy stuff.

Other than that, I loved this con. There was so much togetherness, we really felt wanted and appreciated. We all had a great time!

RabidAnt
10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
There were a lot of good things going on at the con, and a lot of ambitious stuff, but alot of it fell through too, perhaps due to last minute issues or whatnot. I personally enjoyed the con, more for the fact of meeting up with great people, rather then the events, but that's the reason I go the the cons anyways.

One of the problems I thought there was is a lack of anything really going on after midnight. Another thing that really bugged me was a distinct feeling of a lack of security. I saw TONS of people just randomly crashing all over the hotel floors, and no one I've talked to even had any of their weapons even looked at by con security. Also the masquerade scheduling was a bust too, and that's a shame, because I know that really screwed over a few people who really wanted to attend. I know a couple of the vendors got screwed due too the no food/drink complaint. Not to mention it felt kind of empty in the dealers room in terms of content.

In the end, I know that the organizers and staff present worked VERY hard for this con, and it showed; however there were a lot of problems and a common consensus that I personally found most people agree with more often then not was that it was not a con that people would attend again.

Kagz
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Lets see. I think that with a bit better organisation (*ie. maps and scheduals ready on thursday when the prereg opens) would make it better. The space was also enormous which turns out to be a good and bad thing. Awesome because theres alot of place to do things and thanks for letting us use an empty panel room to host the bleach party night thing! But the huge space was kinda bad because it made the con seem really empty, and I spent alot of time running around to go try and find a panel then when I missed or whatever having to run all the way back to the dealers room, Though thats pretty much my own fault.

Main complant would be like most the masqerade. I know it was last minute but I think you guys should have one every year! Its such a cool concept! I just feel it should be on friday night, a) because mainly cosplayer will be attending and holding it saturday interfears with cosplay and b) because its not a rave its a ball and having it overtaken by ravers just was sad. On a personal thing I think costumes should be required to get in be it formal gowns or suits or fancy costumes etc. Thats just my little two cents though.

Over all I had a really good time though, And Cherry you apologized way to much. I think for what all was on your plate you preformed wonderfully! And with a new year to start the planning im sure that next year will run alot better if not flawlessly! The only real problem with me going back again is the timing. For me its a bit of a trip considering that I live in Oklahoma. So I didn't even get to do anything on Sunday because I had to leave really early in the morning. Which made me sad because I didn't really get to say goodbye to the con. But yes if opertunity presents itself I would deffenately go again.

MewKilalaMew
10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I heard about the crazy FMA fangirls at the shoot. I remember someone telling me about how they were chasing the shirtless Ed around? I can't remember, Saturday is very hazy. I'm so sorry you had to put up with all of that (Izumi would NOT have tolerated that crap), but now I don't feel so bad that I missed it. >.<

I was actually the one who scheduled the FMA photoshoot and I missed half of it. The hotel part I was trying to get three more girls that were supposed to be there so I missed half of the crazuness there, I didn't even know what had happened to the Kimblee.

I had to tell the group several times to calm down and it was uncalled for with the stuff that happened. I wasn't tolerating much of it. When I came back down form the hotel I tried my best to get them OUT of the hotel area becuase apparently they were being yelled at by Hotel staff.

I wish this stuff hadn't happened. I tried to have control of the group but they were not listening to me. If the Kimblee is on Cosplay.com, I was to say SORRY for what happened to you. If I had known I would have been furious, like I am now. There is no reason for that kind of stuff to go on.

Now as for the good and the bad. I liked the con ok. I mean it wasn't the very best I have gone too but it was ok. The group I was with was a small FMA group and it was my cousins first convention. I think everything was just a bit too spread out and people could just easily get lost too much.

However Sunday was horrible for me. I lost my little Black Hayate plushie that I have had for about 4-5 months as a prop for my Roy mustang costume. I went to Security and nobody seemed to turn it in so yeah, I lost it for good. PLus I lost 15 dollars, maybe more but I think it was just a bad day over all for me.

I have to say my cousin (Little InuYasha/Nina cosplayer) felt very comfortable at this convention. I want to thank everyone for that becuase she was excited and so nervous about it that she almost didn't get to come becuase her stomach started to hurt. But all in all she felt comfortable.

mel-mel-chan
10-23-2006, 04:07 PM
*breaths in and out* Well I have to admit I did end up having fun in the end, but I was very displeased with the lack of organization. I got there Thursday, went to pick up my group's badges (we were industry guests this year), had hassle with that. Then we didn't know when our panel was until I think 5 hours before hand, and my boss man made up a sign to try and draw people in. I think we had 15 people and some of them just came in for 5 min and then left. Though I spent a good 12 hours of my con weekend in line for the 2 concerts and 12012 q&a. I missed getting to do a lot of things due to multiple things going on at the same time on saturday especially. I ended up not making the 2nd ouran shoot and apparently the first one didn't happen. Missed all but maybe the last 15 min of the bleach one due to q&a and part of bleach game night due to second concert starting over an hour late. In the end it was a good weekend and I had fun though, just not nearly as much fun as anime fest which I think is officially my fave con of this year.

Arei
10-23-2006, 04:10 PM
i think hanging out with the other bleachers was the best part of the whole con, i swear we bleachers are crazy people, lol

but i also loved the wig panel it was really funny and i learned a lot, now i can finish up my wigs! yay

L to the 3rd
10-23-2006, 05:41 PM
I had an awesome time at Oni-con and I noticed how nice Texans were o.O (I'm from Cali). My only complaint would be that there needed to be print out schedules of the events cuz I didn't even know when or where the panel my group was hosting was until 10 min before it started x.x;;

tahiti
10-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I had an awesome time at Oni-con and I noticed how nice Texans were o.O (I'm from Cali). My only complaint would be that there needed to be print out schedules of the events cuz I didn't even know when or where the panel my group was hosting was until 10 min before it started x.x;;

I have to add how much I loved the show Sailor Jamboree put on during the cosplay contest. I've seen pictures from your Sailor Moon shows, and I was really excited that I had the chance to see you guys. You did a great job! Thanks for coming out to Texas!

Rip Van Winkle
10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I had fun at the con, since I mostly went to hang out with friends. Seeing Lord Masamune, Space Invader, and all sorts of other folks again after so long was a real treat. The cosplay contest was incredibly awesome, so much kudos to Limit Break and co. for running a great show! Gives me faith in the event again.

Only real qualm with things was how little was actually going on throughout the con. The video rooms were hard to find, and by the time I did, they weren't really accesable to me. The arcade was awkward cuz most of the games I knew were on arcade machines, and I suck at playing stick.

However...cinnamon roasted pecans made up for it XD Expensive as all Hell but they're SO GOOD.

Tentacle_Guy
10-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Speaking as a guy with a 40 pound octopus strapped to his back, I for one am glad there was so much room at the GRB. The lighting was great for photos in the main areas, and the con wasn't so cramped that confunk became an issue.

Some other perks.

1.) Hotel staff who didn't treat the con-goers like garbage
2.) Security staff who didn't treat the con-goers like garbage
3.) Free parking for hotel guests
4.) Two hentai fests!

benihime
10-24-2006, 07:20 AM
it was incredibly disoragnized. the masq turned into a rave *rolls eyes*

Saigo
10-24-2006, 12:39 PM
it was incredibly disoragnized. the masq turned into a rave *rolls eyes*

that isnt bad but that does show disorganization at its most convienient heh..

L to the 3rd
10-24-2006, 02:36 PM
I have to add how much I loved the show Sailor Jamboree put on during the cosplay contest. I've seen pictures from your Sailor Moon shows, and I was really excited that I had the chance to see you guys. You did a great job! Thanks for coming out to Texas!

Aww *^-^* thank you so much. It was our pleasure! Everyone there made us feel so warm and fuzzy inside. Sounds a bit corny but, it's true :D. I was so nervous (legs were like jello) during 'Melodies of Life' but when the crowd starting clapping along, I felt relaxed.

I wish I could have watched the cosplay contest but can't see much from backstage T_T.

wiltingflower
10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
that isnt bad but that does show disorganization at its most convienient heh..

Considering the fact that the Masquerade should've been the exact opposite of a rave, I'd consider it bad. Some of us were looking forward to it because it was an actual dance, not a mass of gyrating congoers with glowsticks.

lostgeisha
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I try not to rely on events at a con, and I hardly ever go to the concerts, thus that means I never wait in lines. The way I have a good time is just meet people, make friends, and...fly by the seat of my pants. I go to Cons to hang out with cool people and buy things....and I know what I want before I get there. With that in mind this was the best convention I've had in a while. My friends wern't being assholes and they had all the things I wanted in the dealers room (because I didn't want food. aren't I lucky?) That pretty much determined how much fun I had.
Although it was quite unorganized, if anything I think many of the con-goers were very rude and roudy. Practically everywhere I looked people were climbing on things, horseplaying, throwing trash everywhere and not cleaning it up. If this were any other well established con no one would have gotten away with these things. I don't think anyone had a right to complain. Except maybe about the lack of food for sale. I understand the reasoning behind it but it isn't really fair. If the convention center wants to sell pocky and sushi, then they can re-enforce the rule...

Malicious
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
i didn't enjoy it as much cuz i was stuck behind an art table for the most part (but it was good business!)
the dealer's room needs more variety of different items besides the overpriced models and nicknacks. the kimono clothing was overpriced too....
the concert took FOREVER to start friday night, it was ridiculous how long i had to wait. and it was even worse saturday night cuz a friend told me the cosplay contest went over by 1 hour too long. i couldn't find anything cuz i couldn't get a hold of the schedule. mores signs should be posted so i can find my way around more.
the videogame room had obcsure games i'venever heard of. and what ever happened to the parara and ddr machine??!? i also hated the fact that no pocky was sold and the ramune was too overpriced and the food there too!!!

Ludger03
10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
i didn't enjoy it as much cuz i was stuck behind an art table for the most part (but it was good business!)
the dealer's room needs more variety of different items besides the overpriced models and nicknacks. the kimono clothing was overpriced too....
the concert took FOREVER to start friday night, it was ridiculous how long i had to wait. and it was even worse saturday night cuz a friend told me the cosplay contest went over by 1 hour too long. i couldn't find anything cuz i couldn't get a hold of the schedule. mores signs should be posted so i can find my way around more.
the videogame room had obcsure games i'venever heard of. and what ever happened to the parara and ddr machine??!? i also hated the fact that no pocky was sold and the ramune was too overpriced and the food there too!!!

ok issue to the pocky and ramune. some dealers left that friday becuase they were told no outside food was permitted to be sold. so that meant no pocky or ramune.
and it made dealer's room much small. and the things where over priced except one dealer who actually had a variety of things then the ones i usually see every day