PDA

View Full Version : from miss cosplay universe thread: ghetto cosplay

Ali-kun
08-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Someone mentioned the idea of a "ghetto cosplay contest" (err, who was it who actually said that? I think Ranma, Rosiel and Ayaka kinda came up with it compounding on each other)... wouldn't that be fun, in a really silly sort of way?

Ayaka said there would be no way to enforce a time limit...but you could, if some central judge or something -assigned- people which characters to do. That's not as fun as coming up with an idea for cosplay yourself, but the premise of giving everyone, like, two or three days and twenty or thirty dollars to make a costume and then presenting them all in some parody of a masquerade is just too hilarious XD

Heehee, this is what Ali's messed up brain comes up with when she plays too much DDR ^____^

*ponders* And then what would the JUDGING criteria be? Strangest costume components? Most ghetto? Most NON-ghetto? Fuahaha!

~^~ Ali the silly one, who must scamper off and eat food so she does not collapse from too much DDR and not enough fuel for the fire x_@

SohjiroX
08-12-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm in sounds fun,

Ayaka
08-12-2002, 10:49 PM
lol thank you for starting a new thread. ^^

That is a good point, you COULD enforce a time limit with that method. I think it might be kind of cool to just get assigned something, definitely a challenge. But, if you were conducting it online (seems best to me, that way anyone can participate), not everyone has a digital camera. EG - me. ^^;;; So you could enforce it somewhat, but not in a very exact way. Well, one hour developing, if everyone had access to that, just give everyone with a non-digital camera enough extra time to get the photo done. Digicam people have a sooner deadline? Yeah, that seems like it would work.

Oh yeah, about the online versus off . . . well, just seems like, it'd be hard to put a cosplay together at a con. Kind of the point, I know, but personally I'd be up for both; a version at some con so that, like you suggested, we could do a wacky-a masquerade, and online too . . .

About categories . . . well, we'll all have to brainstorm, lol. I think the three you just suggested should each have an award, those are good ones. ^^ And then a best of show.

Ah . . . the more I think about it, the more fun this sounds. ^^

Miaka No Baka
08-13-2002, 12:16 AM
here's an idea why not hold a special event just for this? Have several bags (one for each contestant) full of the same types of materials (not necessarily ones that work for exactly every part of the costume but at least in the color ranges for the character) and pick a character and kinda have it like iron chef style battle, cept give each contestant one full 24 hour period of time to make the chosen character out of the materials in the bag provided. ^_^; Like if you have a friday saturday event announce the stuff and distribute the bags on friday sometime and exactly 24 hours on saturday everyone comes to the event and they judge. You could have some rooms set up with some sewing machines for people who dont bring their own or those who'd pre-reg for the contest could be notified they must bring their own machine if they wish to use it, as well as hot glue gun thread needles etc... And if someone happens to use something not in the bag (like a different piece of fabric) they could be disqualified because who knows if they made that piece before hand or something. ^_^; I'd like to see what people can create in such a short time. The longest i take for my costumes is 4 days. Most get done in 1-2 days and they're actually far from ghetto looking. ^_^;;;

Miaka no Baka

Rosiel
08-13-2002, 09:10 AM
> Ah . . . the more I think about it, the more fun this sounds. ^^

This does sound hilarious! ^____^
*likes the idea a whole lot*

There should be an award for "Most creative". LOL

KuroBara
08-13-2002, 10:34 AM
This sounds like so much fun! I'm definitely in. The budget limit is more important than the time limit, since really experienced sewers can turn out a fantastic elaborate costume in a few days. It sounds like one of those decorating shows where people get a budget and a weekend to redo a room. Only, this is more fun!

I like Miaka's idea for the Iron Chef ghetto cosplay contest, but I don't know how feasible that is. Now I'm brainstorming categories...mascots, supporting characters, DDR characters, mechas...

Makoto
08-13-2002, 11:06 AM
[perks up] Ghetto Cosplay? My favorite kind! ^_^

My friends and I do this every con, inspired by Celine and her awe-inspiring use of hotel amenities. :D

After the cosplay contest, we're so exhausted yet full of adrenaline, so we run back to the hotel room and see what we can come up with using stuff around the room. Usually it's pieces of other costumes, in conjunction with goodies from the hotel room... it's so relaxing after a stressful con day, and I haven't giggled that much since I was 10 years old.

A-kon 13 was our finest session yet, I think. (Thanks go to Elya-chan (http://www.star-wind.com/akon2002/) for the photos~! You're my favorite bunny~!)
Ghetto FFX: Lulu, Rikku, and Yuna. (http://www.star-wind.com/akon2002/saturday/DSC00504.JPG)
Ghetto Wakka (http://www.star-wind.com/akon2002/saturday/DSC00506.JPG) (He made a Blitzball out of Gema ^_^)
I was so thrilled (http://www.star-wind.com/akon2002/saturday/DSC00516.JPG) when we ran into Half-Assed Moogle-san downstairs!

Good times, good times. XD

Daala
08-13-2002, 11:27 AM
I would so do it! this sounds like major fun. Break out the bags of leftover stuff and come up with something...LOL
won't be the first time >>> My mom's jacket and black duct tape... ghetto Iori! (http://www.kitoutpost.com/main_site/otakon2k1/photos/images/iori_chris3_jpg.jpg)

Kurenai
08-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Hehe I have this Hikaru Shidou schoolgirl costume...the top is held together entirely with safety pins ^^;;;

Quies
08-13-2002, 09:38 PM
lol. that would be halarious..though if one wants to do it at a con giving it out that first day so you can give people another night might work better.
lol. i mad a ghetto Sakura for my friend in one night- lots of felt and a few dead hangers gave us the big card costume. it actually didn't look bad.

SohjiroX
08-13-2002, 09:53 PM
I guess we should keep the reciepts on the items so we know how much they spent on the costume and such.......when would you want to do such a thing?

Ayaka
08-13-2002, 11:14 PM
*dies laughing at Celine's pics* Those are great. XD

If it was a stand-alone event, though, see . . . I have this deeply ominous feeling that it would wind up in CA = me cannot go. =_=;;;; Have some pity for the people who live in other parts of the country/world, here, lol. Can we at least do the first one online? People can do local spinoffs of it for parties, whatever.

That is a good point, Miaka, about sewing time. It would have to be mostly budget based. Also good point Soujiro, about receipts; I keep all mine anyway, I enter ALL my expenses into a big cosplay record file. Scary seeing the totals sometimes. oO;;; *password protects file from parents* And it's only gonna get worse the more I cosplay.

Okay, let's do it this way, maybe; who wants to be in on the "planning committee" or what-have-you? We can come up with some categories and rough rules, then bring them back to the board to get opinions? We're gonna need judges. I think when we're ready, for characters we should have everyone on the board brainstorm as many characters as they can think of, then we put them in some kind of hat . . . how's that sound? Ah, better idea, we assign all the characters random numbers, every participant pics a number in the set range and that's the chara they get?

KuroBara
08-14-2002, 12:38 AM
Makoto~ Those are hilarious pics! Hey, ghetto Yuna isn't half-bad. Good suggestions Ayaka. Let's try the first one online!

I'm nominating a category for mechas, and another for winged characters. ^_^

Rosiel
08-14-2002, 10:10 AM
> I have this deeply ominous feeling that it would wind up in CA = me cannot go

How about a web event? Ask people to send in pictures and scans of receipts?

> I enter ALL my expenses into a big cosplay record file

I avoid even summing up my cosplay expenses.
I make sure to buy in sub-100$ chunks so as not to make me feel horrible.
Because I have very very few costumes which are not multi-hundred affairs.

> who wants to be in on the "planning committee"

Me! Me! Me!

I guess the number of categories would depend on the number of entrants...
And I love the idea of a mecha category.
As for winged characters, it's not broad enough...

Cynthia
08-14-2002, 11:04 AM
I actually witnesses a similar event held at a sci-fi con I went to this weekend. They'd gathered up certain contestants, gave them some fabric, a pair of scissors for each person, and duck tape-and that's all they got. They weren't allowed to use any other materials except these, they only had 20 minutes to do it in, and they were given a character that they had to do. Cerebrus, the three headed dog out of Greek Mythology, won-mainly because the three people that were doing it were acting just like a dog.

KuroBara
08-14-2002, 11:51 AM
That sounds like fun. We did that for last halloween, my anime / sci-fi club was showing "Vampire Hunter D", so one of my friends whipped out the fastest D costume ever. I think it took about 2 days. His sword required lots of duct tape, and it looked pretty damn cool.

I've got such a good idea for one...must...get...to...TJ Max...

Anyone want to set a date for this?

>As for winged characters, it's not broad enough...
Hmm...I can't think of a way to broaden that.

Ayaka
08-14-2002, 05:12 PM
> How about a web event? Ask people to send in pictures and scans of receipts?

Isn't that what I was saying? lol. Maybe I spaced out . . . but that's what I meant.

> I avoid even summing up my cosplay expenses.
I make sure to buy in sub-100$ chunks so as not to make me feel horrible.
Because I have very very few costumes which are not multi-hundred affairs.

The nice thing about it is it makes you feel cool when you see one that wasn't overly expensive. lol. Plus I want to remember the joy of getting 5 yards of shantung for $5.65 .

> Me! Me! Me!

*gives Rosiel planning committee pin* Anybody else want to help plan? If you don't also want to be a judge, being on the planning committee doesn't mean that you can't compete.

*edit* BTW, think I shoul post a poll to see how many people would like to participate? Fastest way to find out.

DATE - . . . mid-October? Early November? It should be when people aren't doing finals in school, when there's not a major con coming up . . . we can have another one at another time, too, if it goes well. ^^

CATEGORIES - I think the categories would be special awards, not judged separately . . . if that makes sense. . . I was thinking along the lines of - Most Most Creative Use of Material/Found Object
Most Bizarre Use of Material
Cheapest Costume
Best Overall (could have runners-up if we have enough people)
Judge's Award(s)

I'm not sure about mecha . . . if we have a long list of characters with mecha mixed in, there's a chance - since I think it should be random - that no one, or only one person, would get a mecha. I think the first time around, we should have the awards be general.

Celine
08-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Hi! I want to offer my support to the ghetto cosplay ideas happening here! Like Makoto said, I'm all about throwing together pieces of clothing/other costumes in combination with stuff around a hotel room for at-con insanity. I used to have a website up about the ghetto adventures, but the tradition's been carried on by Paperwings, so it's all good. XD

I really think having a category like "Most bizarre use of material" sounds great... that'll really get people thinking. I mean, using coffee packets for cat ears. That's how you generate true ghetto cosplay. ^_^

KuroBara
08-14-2002, 07:16 PM
I'd love to plan, I just wanted to check that I could still compete them. ^_~

Would pre-existing costume pieces and civilian clothing that you already own be allowed? Or should everything be new to this costume? I like not narrowing down the characters, your judging categories sound like a better idea.

Hmmm...if it's really ghetto, making it shouldn't interfere with Halloween plans, so October sounds good. I really hope this works out!

Ali-kun
08-14-2002, 07:27 PM
Makoto - like everyone else, I must compliment the ghettoness of those FFX costumes! Wakka's hair is simply brill. What is it, a magazine or a food package or something? *can't tell*

Dood...I did not expect people to jump on this so much, but it would be so supercool to do it ^_^ I like Ayaka's suggestions for categories (yes, most bizarre material is important...I used the metal thingies from floppy disks for NON-ghetto cosplay once, it was exciting)

Found objects = great because they are FREE! 'cause...if you don't specifically buy it -for- a costume, it doesn't add to the total spent on it, right? *watches as all multi hundred dollar cosplayers nod vehmently*

I don't know what-all I can contribute but I would love to help plan, if I can...and participate, too, because it would be exciting ^^;

Ayaka
08-14-2002, 07:31 PM
Personally, I think existing costume pieces, your civillian clothes, stuff you pinch from your friends or family (but not the mall or strangers, lol! "I NEED YOUR PANTS! NOW!!"), stuff in your garbage, everything is fine. I'm not sure yet, but I think pieces of commissioned costumes would be okay too. I want the contest to be about originality in putting things together, not necessarily in making something from scratch. But that's my opinion, anyone think it should be different?

I started making some rough rules last night (when I should have been in bed lol), I'll post them up later. ^^

Ayaka
08-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Okay I put up a temp page . . . probably a lot of stuff I forgot. lol. Just to give you an idea what I was thinking, totally open to opinions . . . not trying to run everything, lol. I'm just procrastinating sewing cause I have a terrible headache . . . XP

http://www.exitrance.com/exitrance/vigilante/cosplaycontest.html

Ali-kun
08-14-2002, 09:45 PM
...Ayaka, you are -so- funny XD I love that page!

Early November is probably a good time. Because then you will (hopefully, if you are lucky) have a good supply of sugar to boost you through the 48 hours *L*
(if you bought on-sale after-Halloween candy so that you can ghetto cosplay on a permanent sugar rush, would that count as part of the budget? ^_^)

Mebbe the first or second -weekend- of the month, so there would be less conflict with classes or work?

Ayaka
08-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Ali-kun
...Ayaka, you are -so- funny XD I love that page!

lol you should have seen the original frighteningly ugly color scheme . . . but thanks ^^

Yah, hey . . . hmm . . . how long would Halloween stuff stay around after Halloween? If we did it fairly soon after (whatever weekend that would be), it would help muchly with the discounts . . . hahah maybe we shouldn't give people that advantage. Because I'm evil. But, yes, it should be a weekend. Especially because this semester I scheduled to have FOUR DAY WEEKENDS (no class Friday or Monday). *Naga laugh*

Ali-kun
08-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Ayaka

But, yes, it should be a weekend. Especially because this semester I scheduled to have FOUR DAY WEEKENDS (no class Friday or Monday). *Naga laugh*

...you are SO evil. *killkillkill*

I thought I might get away with having all late morning/afternoon classes and sleeping in...but the only beginning Japanese class they offer is at 8am, M-F ^^;;

As for Halloween discounting...I have no clue o_O I've never been shopping after Halloween for anything more exciting than candy. But candy = love ^____^
(especially those creme pumpkins, mmm. Hooray for sugary nasty artificial junk!)

Makoto
08-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Makoto - like everyone else, I must compliment the ghettoness of those FFX costumes! Wakka's hair is simply brill. What is it, a magazine or a food package or something? *can't tell*

You're right, it's a vaguely-orange ripped-out magazine page. XD He just duct-taped it to his head... glad I wasn't there when he pulled it off. O_o

Lulu has coffee stirrers in her hair, which I think looks [snaps] Ghetto-Fab-u-lous. ^_^

Ayaka
08-14-2002, 11:50 PM
...you are SO evil. *killkillkill*

Hai hai. XD And I have no morning classes either. Though, I am stuck taking required courses cause I'm transferring from a school that didn't have "you must take this" classes . . . just when I thought I'd never have to take a math class again . . . *bangs head on rock* Luckily they're kind of bunny courses, near as I can tell. I'm taking "Quantum Physics for Artists". Heh. Where do you take "Art for Physicists"? But I can't take Japanese this semester. ;_;

Re: Halloween candy, I'm most addicted to Eyes of Terror (eyeball gum). Man I love those. Best gum ever, except maybe baseball card gum, but they don't make that anymore. Other than that, there's Super Bubble and Rainblo, those are the best. Don't buy Dubble Bubble, it has a funny aftertaste, an overly stiff texture, and isn't nearly as sweet as Super Bubble. Rainblo is hands down the best gumball-type gum. I'm a total candy gourmet, it's pretty sad . . .

Makoto - those are coffee stirrers? lol!

Ali-kun
08-15-2002, 12:15 AM
Coffee stirrers? That is wonderful. They look real XD

I hate gum most of the time because it loses its flavor too fast and then it tastes nasty >_< This is why some kinda Japanese gum I found in a "Chinese Stuff" shop in Costa Rica is Good. It has nicer flavor, the flavor lasts longer, and it just tastes like NOTHING when the flavor goes away. *nods wisely*

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 08:29 AM
> There is a US$30 budget cap

Isn't that too much? if people are allowed to add stuff they own we should cap at something like $10.

My manga Zoisite (totally accurate) was done in 4 hours one evening and cost under $20 if you don't count what I took from my closet. ^____^

Other than that, I love the rules and I want to help judge this! LOL

pookie-kun
08-15-2002, 09:23 AM
What you could do (I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure if it's been suggested)

Is assign people characters a few days before a con, and have the contest at the con. :>

peacecraft
08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
You may want to set some strict limitations on "uses of your own material". I know, for one, that I could make a costume sofr next to nothing that used a lot of really expensive material, simply because I always buy WAY too much fabric when I make costumes and have so much left over. How about some stipulation saying how many yards of already owned fabric you can use?

Ranma Saotome
08-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Now why wasn't I notified about this thread? :p This sounds promising... Now we just need a sponsor. :D

Ranma Saotome
08-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Cheapest Costume

I'd win this... My actual Ranma Saotome costume only costed me 10 bucks (even that!) to construct! :p

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 01:47 PM
> My actual Ranma Saotome costume only costed me 10 bucks

You beat me... but's it's ALL the fault of the $5 set of two buttons! LOL

Ranma Saotome
08-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
> My actual Ranma Saotome costume only costed me 10 bucks

You beat me... but's it's ALL the fault of the $5 set of two buttons! LOL

What can I say? Sweatsuits are cheap in my town! Here's an actual picture!

http://www.fansview.com/2000a/0310a047.jpg

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 01:59 PM
> What can I say? Sweatsuits are cheap in my town! Here's an actual picture!

Cool! And $10? O_O

Here is my one and only sub-$20 cosplay (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=4494).

Actually make that one and only sub-$100 cosplay that ended up surprisingly sub-$20. ^____^

Ayaka
08-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Rosiel - > Isn't that too much? if people are allowed to add stuff they own we should cap at something like $10.

Yes, it may be too much. lol I had NO idea where to set the cap.

Ranma - MUAHAHAHA! My cheapest costume was FREE. lol. I had the wig, the jeans, the t-shirt, the shoes, the paper (which I got at karaoke), and the pen (which I stole from the hotel). lol okay, it probably doesn't count though.

Peacecraft - Yeah, that's a good point . . . hmm . . . do you have any suggestion for what the limit of yardage should be? 4 yards? (wild guess)

I think we should add an award, "Least Ghetto". lol. Just for those people with lots of lovely fabric and amazing sewing skills.

ALSO - Umm . . what the heck are we gonna name it?! (The contest)

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 02:29 PM
> Yes, it may be too much. lol I had NO idea where to set the cap.

It has to be very low to force people to think up creative uses of common household items. LOL

> 4 yards? (wild guess)

4 is quite a bit... I can make a full outfit from that if I am careful of cutting everything exactly...

I'd say any uncut fabric has to be added to the total $$ spent. Otherwise we're going away from Yuna-with-a-towel and Lulu-with-coffee-stirrers which I thought where the best!

> I think we should add an award, "Least Ghetto". lol. Just for those people with lots of lovely fabric and amazing sewing skills.

Doesn't that defeat the whole point of having a ghetto contest?

> ALSO - Umm . . what the heck are we gonna name it?! (The contest)

GOOD question...

Ranma Saotome
08-15-2002, 02:44 PM
Ranma - MUAHAHAHA! My cheapest costume was FREE. lol. I had the wig, the jeans, the t-shirt, the shoes, the paper (which I got at karaoke), and the pen (which I stole from the hotel). lol okay, it probably doesn't count though.

FREE?!?! I hate you... :p

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 03:11 PM
> FREE?!?! I hate you...

Yup that beats both of our offerings. ^___^

Ayaka
08-15-2002, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rosiel
[B]> It has to be very low to force people to think up creative uses of common household items. LOL

Okay, let's set it at $10 then.

> I'd say any uncut fabric has to be added to the total $$ spent. Otherwise we're going away from Yuna-with-a-towel and Lulu-with-coffee-stirrers which I thought where the best!

So . . . hmm . . . scraps smaller than a 1/2 yard you have around don't count in the total, they're remnants? And then anything larger than that, you must count. Does that sound about right?

> Doesn't that defeat the whole point of having a ghetto contest?

Err . . . uh . . . yes. =_= I'm just wondering what we do if we get someone who manages to follow all the rules and NOT be ghetto, lol. Overacheiver types.

> GOOD question...

Oh dear, are we gonna be stuck with "Nameless Ghetto Cosplay Contest"? lol.

YES! FREE! lol! *dances* Guess it's appropriate I'm working on the contest, huh. ^^ But it wasn't very creative . . . just happened to be a character with a simple outfit. But, I DID get in the omake "alien signs" section at LLNN. XD

Ali-kun
08-15-2002, 05:40 PM
Oh dear, are we gonna be stuck with "Nameless Ghetto Cosplay Contest"? lol.

Eheehee... anyone read Lillian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who..." series? They couldn't come up with a name for the county's new newspaper, and one of the characters rants that they HAVE to call it SOMETHING...so it ends up being the Moose County Something XD

</random>

You could just call it "Ghetto Cosplay Contest," that's quite descriptively to-the-point...but not exactly exciting. *sad, has no exciting amusing ideas for contest name* I am just...un-brilliant today. Poor Ali.

"It's not ghetto, it's...economically efficient!" XD

Ayaka
08-15-2002, 05:50 PM
Now I'm gonna have to be obscure and call it the "Moose County Ghetto Cosplay Contest" . . . well, okay, nah. lol. I could always be shameless and name it after my website (then it'd be the Vigilante Anime Ghetto Cosplay Contest, probably, heheheh).

Tenshisama
08-15-2002, 11:16 PM
I love those cat who books!

and because I'm completely dense and can't seem to figure this out...
is the point of this contest to make a costume that obviously looks crummy or to try and make the best costume with the least amount of money?

Celine
08-16-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by peacecraft
You may want to set some strict limitations on "uses of your own material".

You should *definitely* do this!!! I've made almost four entire costumes out of leftovers. And they weren't all that simple, either. ^^ Like Ayaka mentioned, set some guidelines for "remnants" vs. fabric that must be deducted from the $10.

>is the point of this contest to make a costume that obviously looks crummy or to try and make the best costume with the least amount of money?

I think that they might have a category for cheapest costume, as mentioned below, but there's also going to be stuff like "most creative usage". If you make something ugly, but it's utilizing really interesting materials in strange ways, that's good. And if you manage to make a masterpiece out of a bathroom towel, that is also excellent. As a ghetto cosplayer, you should strive for creativity over beauty! Just think "ghetto"!

Ranma Saotome
08-16-2002, 12:33 AM
(then it'd be the Vigilante Anime Ghetto Cosplay Contest, probably, heheheh).

Heeeey..... That has a nice ring to it! :)

Ali-kun
08-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Tenshisama
is the point of this contest to make a costume that obviously looks crummy or to try and make the best costume with the least amount of money?

(heehee, Koko is SO great. Ik, ik, ik!)

It's very easy for ghetto cosplay to -obviously- look crummy 'cause...well...it's ghetto! I think the major factors are creativity with random junk you find and having insane silly fun.

Yes, Celine...like packets of instant coffee for kitty ears ^__^

"Best" in relation to ghetto cosplay rather depends on what criteria you judge with, hence all the categories listed earlier in the thread. And if you can make a 48-hour low-budget scrap-fabric found-object costume look totally un-ghetto...I admire you greatly! (well, okay, it might depend on how complex said costume happens to be in the first place... ^^)

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 01:58 AM
Yeah . . . um . . . I'm too sleepy to answer the question, so I'm glad Ali-kun pretty much covered it . . . but I guess I better expand the "about the contest" bit to make sure the idea comes across.

Heheh, Ranma, I don't know, the contest wasn't entirely my idea so . . . it might be too shameless plug-y.

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 08:54 AM
See we should do something to enforce the "ghetto" aspect.
It's not looking /crummy/ but looking as good as you can while using non-standard means.

There should be a rule that one non-cosplay related household item should be used for example.

It's more about creativity with stuff that have nothing to do with cosplay than sewing with remnants something amazing.

Ranma Saotome
08-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Yeah . . . um . . . I'm too sleepy to answer the question, so I'm glad Ali-kun pretty much covered it . . . but I guess I better expand the "about the contest" bit to make sure the idea comes across.

Heheh, Ranma, I don't know, the contest wasn't entirely my idea so . . . it might be too shameless plug-y.

All we need now is sponsorship. :)
BTW, did you read the new script I sent you?

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 12:04 PM
There should be a rule that one non-cosplay related household item should be used for example.

Ditto to what you said, Rosiel. Only thing is, this rule - I'm not sure a household item could be put into EVERY costume. There are a LOT you could do it with, but I don't want someone to get stuck with one that doesn't . . . well, a lot of outfits that don't have many accessories, you *could* have a "cigarette" . . . hmm, we'll think about adding that when we do the thing to get character suggestions, I guess.

I'm going to rewrite the about the contest thing today so that it better reflects our goals. It's not doing a crummy costume, as Rosiel said; we're not expecting something that looks like a regular costume either. We may have people who land at both ends, by coincidence or experience, but the goal is to keep it in the middle - a good impression of the costume, but still ghetto. Would those people who've posted their ghetto cosplay here be willing to let me use their pictures? Then we could have a link that says "view an example"?

Ranma - Yes, I'm gonna reply to you in a minute. ^^

Ali-kun
08-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Ranma Saotome

All we need now is sponsorship. :)

Nya, why is that?

Heh, is just that when Ali sees 'sponsor' she thinks of some person/company who donates money to support something...do you mean someone to help spread the word and get other people to participate in this who may not be members of this forum?

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 03:04 PM
> All we need now is sponsorship.

Come on, the prizes have to be ghetto too! LOL

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 04:05 PM
> All we need now is sponsorship.

Come on, the prizes have to be ghetto too! LOL

Yes, dangit, I was trying to keep that a secret! lol. Stupid smart people on the same wavelength as me . . . lol.

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 04:29 PM
Oh yes, speaking of prizes . . . has anyone judged in a masq before? I've never seen what the sheets are like, how they rank things. I tried researching the . . . Worldcon system that the skill divisions came from, but only found info on entering not on how the judging was done. I want to come up with some kind of form for people, but I'm really not sure how to do it. Any ideas?

Kurenai
08-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Y'know how some people make prom dresses out of duct tape and then the duct tape companies give them prizes and such? Maybe it could be something like that if you brought this to the attention of some sort of manufacturer...

Kurenai
08-16-2002, 04:55 PM
Yesh, definitely ^____^ though a girl that was wearing one said she "crackled a lot". tee hee ^_~

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 05:04 PM
Ooh, I love the duct tape dresses! I once saw one made with chains of starburst wrappers. Surprisingly, it was really pretty!

Hmm...Ghetto prizes, like safety pins and a roll of the aforementioned duct tape? I think a really funny badge for a website would be enough. But, not everyone has a cosplay website...hmm...pondering...

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Gah! Stop brainstorming prize ideas! I want it to be a surprise! *has attack* lol. j/k, I just thought it'd be cool to have it be a surprise. At this rate, though, everyone's gonna think of everything before the contest! lol oy vey.

Duct tape dresses? I don't know about this.

Yeah, I know it needs to be different from your basic judging form, but I thought it ought to be standardized somehow and it's kinda hard to know where to start. Scales of 1-5 or something for different aspects?

Ranma Saotome
08-17-2002, 01:47 AM
*official ghetto miss cosplay emcee* :D