PDA

View Full Version : Wrath (FMA) "Sin Straps"

AkitoSohma
11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Okay, I searched the site and couldn't find this specific question, so here it goes.

I'm looking for a way to make removeable, reusable "sin straps" for both Wrath AND Envy costumes. I have the base costume (shirt and shorts) that will work for both characters, but if I have to sew or paint the sin straps on, I can't use it for both (and I'm on a tight budget). I was thinking red liquid latex painted out on wax paper (or something of the like) and cut out into the proper designs, then spirit-gumming them onto my skin and trying to pin or gum the latex to the costume in the proper places. One of my friends (who is also a semi-professional costumer) says "nay", but I still think it has the potential to work.

I'd like to hear your opinions and, if there are any, suggestions that provide a different solution to this "problem".

Attached is an image with Wrath's "sin straps" colored in in dark red, for reference...

~ Akito

Angathol
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Red electrical tape could be a cheap alternative, and it would come off pretty easily. Sorry if that sounds kinda ghetto, but I think it could work well.

AkitoSohma
11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Actually, I think that would be ideal for the Wrath I'm putting together for my boyfriend's youngest sister. Less chance of her messing up something expensive ^_^''

Thanks for that. *chuckle*

I'm still considering latex for mine, though, and I'd like to know if anyone thinks I'm nuts for wanting to do it that way XD

Angathol
11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I just think that you might have trouble with it sticking to your skin, especially if you get a little sweaty. At least if you use tape, you can always take it off and make another one if it doesn't look right or if the adhesive starts to fail. :3

AkitoSohma
11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
This is also true. Well, I have a small bottle of the stuff. I suppose I could give it a test run (like, I dunno...paint a line around my ribcage and one around my thigh) and wear it for a few hours outside to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice :D

WilwarinAndamar
11-07-2006, 03:35 PM
I've used liquid latex before. I don't think you will have a problem with it coming off... :untrust:

It's meant to be used for under hot stage lights, so unless you rub it, it should not come off on it's own.

AkitoSohma
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Totally awesome, Wilwarin <3 Thanks bundles.

Trumby
11-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Get ahold of HanyaanFaery (I think that's how you spell her name on here). She's got a very good Wrath cosplay and could probably give you some tips on what to use.

AkitoSohma
11-09-2006, 11:22 PM
M'kay, I tried red ribbon, red electrical tape, and red fabric paint on the clothes and face paint for the bits on the skin. I haven't had a chance to try the latex yet (my order hasn't come in yet), so here are the results thus far:

Ribbon = Nooooooo. I couldn't get it to stay on the skin without Spirit Gum and then the poor kid had hell trying to use the bathroom.

Tape = Maybe. The only issue is that in taking it off too many times for bathroom breaks (as well as sweating) it lost it's stickiness and I ended up reapplying it about five times within two hours. Not good for a con. BUT, there still is hope for this method. It'll just take some tweaking.

Paint = Both paints started flaking like crazy when she was running around outside for the "test run" of a practice costume. So, this is a no-go.

Damn you, Texas Weather!!

I think I can manage with these methods for the kid sister's costume if I possibly combine two of them. I'll work on this and post an update >_>

Meng Xiaojie
11-10-2006, 01:06 AM
...maybe draw 'em on with a red Sharpie marker?

It's not the greatest idea in the world, but a friend of mine drew a whole slew of black flames up her neck, down her arm, and down one leg with a black Sharpie (she was doing Cursed!Sasuke from Naruto), and she didn't die of ink poisoning or anything. It took her forever to scrub it off, and she left a black ring around the hotel tub, but that's all.

*shrug* Maybe as a very last resort.

Artikgato
11-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm considering using red foamies attached to the clothes with thread and with spirit gum to the skin.

Foamies are quite cheap, and very useful in a lot of applications. You can get them in Wal-Mart or anywhere else, and they come in a variety of colors.

...just thought I'd add my two cents worth. ^_^

AkitoSohma
11-12-2006, 12:51 AM
The Foamies may actually be quite a good idea for the kid :D I'll try to get to a craft store or Wal Mart ASAP and we'll see how that goes.

At this point, I'm pretty willing to try anything as long as it's cheap XD I feel so dirty saying that, though. *laughs*

call_me_canada
11-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Instead of Spirit gum you should try fashion tape. That is what I used and it worked very well, stuck on the entire day and even when it came unstuck it went back on very easily.

pmastamonkmonk
11-29-2007, 08:19 AM
M'kay, I tried red ribbon, red electrical tape, and red fabric paint on the clothes and face paint for the bits on the skin. I haven't had a chance to try the latex yet (my order hasn't come in yet), so here are the results thus far:

Ribbon = Nooooooo. I couldn't get it to stay on the skin without Spirit Gum and then the poor kid had hell trying to use the bathroom.

Tape = Maybe. The only issue is that in taking it off too many times for bathroom breaks (as well as sweating) it lost it's stickiness and I ended up reapplying it about five times within two hours. Not good for a con. BUT, there still is hope for this method. It'll just take some tweaking.

Paint = Both paints started flaking like crazy when she was running around outside for the "test run" of a practice costume. So, this is a no-go.

Damn you, Texas Weather!!

I think I can manage with these methods for the kid sister's costume if I possibly combine two of them. I'll work on this and post an update >_>

I had paint flaking problems with one of my costumes and a friend told me that you should first wash the skin, powder it (with one of those pancake powders or baby powders) LIGHTLY, apply the paint, and powder it again. The extra powder sort of "seals" the paint in and doesn't let it flake as easily, apparantly. I haven't had the chance to try it out, yet :\

blackcat523
11-30-2007, 08:15 PM
You said you used ribbon, spirit gum to attach, what you may want to do is make the piece attached to the pants able to seperate with Velcro. Would give you the straight lines and be able to remove the bottom half for the potty breaks.