PDA

View Full Version : Gaining weight for cosplay (muscle and fat)

Aleze
11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
I see that plenty of people try to loose weight for cosplays, but does anyone try to put on weight?

In the months before my last cosplay (prince from Suikoden V) I worked my shoulders and back in an effort to make them look more masculine and put on a few pounds of muscle. The results probably don't look like much, but I was pretty happy with the difference from my usual. And for my next cosplay (Jessica from Dragon Quest VIII) I need boobs. At first I thought I'd just use some falsie method, but I started eating more for other reasons and soon I realized that I'm gaining weight and almost all of it is going to my chest (not necessarily superior to my former skinny athlete's build, but still fun). So I think I'm gonna try to keep up a high calorie diet until I fear the appearance of stretch marks. Now, I don't think it's worthwhile to mess with the body just for cosplay, rather, I find that I enjoy seeing what I can do with my body.

galaxiahime
11-06-2006, 07:39 PM
That's great that you're building muscle and you're happy that you're gaining weight, but just make sure that you're not getting all of your extra calories from fat and junk food. You can still gain weight and remain healthy. :bigtu:

Celeborn
11-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Yes, I have. I can close the shirt on my Sirius Black costume, but technically, to be movie-accurate, it's supposed to be fairly open. It's not the only reason that I work out, but the thought of being an open-shirted skinny dude wandering around a con for a couple of days doesn't really appeal :angel2:, so it's a fairly major incentive. Yay to cosplay for cracking the whip! ;)

Aleze
11-07-2006, 01:38 AM
That's great that you're building muscle and you're happy that you're gaining weight, but just make sure that you're not getting all of your extra calories from fat and junk food. You can still gain weight and remain healthy. :bigtu:

Oh yeah. Mostly I've been indulging in foods rich in monounsaturated fat (very healthy).

Mmm, double-bonded carbons . . .

fanofallac
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Well im new to cosplaying but im vary hand and I also have experience with making armor. But I plan to got to AX next year so I have been lifting weights and running on a day basics trying to bulk up well its working a run about hour a day and lift for another hour and I also eat 5 times a day now also doctor said when you do more work your body needs more energy and rest I also sleep a lot better now and I donít have back problems as much . To say im doing it for cosplay would be a lie because I just got in to it . But mainly for personal gain. And for galaxiahime I also agree with you eating healthy is also a key in weight gain or weight low. But personal note I have notice many of my female friends that has changed there eating habits to fast food and other unhealthy things have gained more attention from other guys.

vampirate
11-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Now, I don't think it's worthwhile to mess with the body just for cosplay, rather, I find that I enjoy seeing what I can do with my body.
Remember that first part! Think about Hollywood actors and the way they yo-yo their bodies around sometimes for movie roles. But they have hired nutritionists and personal trainers to help them and make sure that they still stay healthy. Be careful, and it's probably best just to do things for yourself instead of just for cosplay.

IronAddict
02-25-2007, 04:28 AM
hmmm this thread is kind of old, but it interested me

first off, as a girl it's not physically possible for you to put on large amounts of muscle. you just don't have enough testosterone.

secondly, a guy with good genetics, good diet and good workout plan, can only put on 24 lbs of muscle per year (+4 lbs of glycogen in the muscle for every 10 lbs gained, so thats really about a 35 lb gain/ year). 24 lbs is a lot though. go to your local butchers and pick up 24 lbs of meat and imagine spreading it all over your body. yeah, just 2 years of weight lifting and 35x2 = 70 lb gain and youre probably approaching your genetic limit and youre also probably frikkin huge.

Probability
02-25-2007, 05:49 AM
first off, as a girl it's not physically possible for you to put on large amounts of muscle. you just don't have enough testosterone.

secondly, a guy with good genetics, good diet and good workout plan, can only put on 24 lbs of muscle per year (+4 lbs of glycogen in the muscle for every 10 lbs gained, so thats really about a 35 lb gain/ year). 24 lbs is a lot though. go to your local butchers and pick up 24 lbs of meat and imagine spreading it all over your body. yeah, just 2 years of weight lifting and 35x2 = 70 lb gain and youre probably approaching your genetic limit and youre also probably frikkin huge.

Oversimplification of both situations. While a majority of women face that issue it certainly isn't an absolute rule and perhaps more importantly their are alternatives they can discuss with their doctor if they're geniunely interested in muscle development... alternatives generally viewed as safe as long as they're done under the supervision of a medical professional.

That is in addition to "large amounts of muscle" isn't some exact amount. A women who wants to put on 10 or 15 pounds of muscle, on say a small 100ilb frame, could reasonable do that in a year to a year and a half safely, perhaps a little faster or slower based on her own unique body. To her that might be a 'large amount of muscle' since it's a 15% increase in her total mass, where as to you or I 10 ilbs is only 5 ilb below what we probably routinely swing between differant athletic seasons.

Basically if one of the ladies here adamantly wants to bulk up, while it might be impossible, 'might be' isn't the same as 'is'.

As for men, their is no hard and fast rule that says once a male gains 24 ilb of muscle in a year that's it, his body just magically won't accept anything past that. It's based off of race, age, build, hormones, and other genetic factors as well as obviously the amount of effort people put in to it. Given we have some young men here going through puberty some could expect to see drastic changes... other old men like me pretty much can throw that hope out the window, no matter our effort or genetics or consumption we're at the point fast growth isn't gonna happen unless bodybuilding becomes our profession (I'm happy to sneak in 2 hours a day for it, I could never fit the 12+ hours a day someone like Ronnie Coleman has to do or a more size appropriate lifter, say Franco Columbo).

Keep in mind the sites you're reading that kind of information off of are based off of averages and estimates and meant for general information. If someones really wanting to tackle the challenge of their own body, that stuff should only be a guideline to the task at hand not a bible to be religiously believed.

I'm also putting a link here to your other post... since essentially it's the same topic.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=104821

Andrea
02-25-2007, 07:42 AM
My own two cents - I've been underweight for 20 years (stopped growing at about 84 pounds and 5'2"), then got a job that required some heavy lifting. After a summer of moving patio furniture and big bags of charcoal, I looked in the mirror and was thrilled because for once my arms and shoulders weren't skinny and girly - I just looked like a wiry guy, just like several of the characters I cosplay. Just in time for a sleeveless outfit for one of them, too. ;)

I've moved on from that particular job, and now mostly get my workout via mopping and filling the pop machine's ice bin, which is not as good for keeping the muscle on... but now that I've had it, I don't want to lose it and *not* look like a wiry male anymore, so I've got some ten pound hand weights. Didn't gain the weight/muscle for cosplay specifically, but it's invaluable for it. Plus it just makes me feel powerful anyway. ;)

WehrleSephenon
03-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I also am contributing to the losing wait/ body building going on for Cosplay. I'm about to go to my first con as Kurosaki Ichigo, and, still being in High School and on the Cross Country/Distance Running team, my body is in great shape for the character. I've also made sacrifices (ehh, well...maybe more like changes. I like it ^_-) in the hair department. I've always had EXTREMELY unruly, VERY red hair, and it is just a LITTLE bit darker than Strawberry's. So, my sister introduced me to a hair straightener (lol didn't even know they existed) and now I have 4" long red hair all around ^_^. But, I also can't say I'm just doing it for the Cos. My girlfriend is playing my Rukia lol. Gotta look good, dude ^_^

Coop Klapowski
03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I had to gain almost a hundred pounds to properly do coop from megas xlr. now for my next feat I will loose 100 pounds and gain it all back in arm strength ...and I shall go as armstrong from FMA

Reiko
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
well I dont think thats very healthy,

remember cosplay is just a hooby. now if you want to make yourself stronger for you, thats great!

IronAddict
03-02-2007, 01:40 AM
I had to gain almost a hundred pounds to properly do coop from megas xlr. now for my next feat I will loose 100 pounds and gain it all back in arm strength ...and I shall go as armstrong from FMA

dont do it fast or you might get loose sagging skin around your chest that you wont be able to remove without surgery. -100 lbs safely should take over a year

Pincer
03-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Twinkies. Lots of twinkies. That and Ding Dongs. **chuckle**