PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Casting using Thermal Adhesives (Hot Glue)

Annie-Mei
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Im posting a blog on how to cast with Thermal Adhesives (Hot Glue). For those who are afraid venture in using plastics, acrylics or fibreglass, this is another alternative you may want to look into. This is recommended for smaller accessories.

You can find my tutorial here.

http://808arus.blogspot.com/2006/11/prop-making-thermal-adhesives-are-cool.html

Please let me know if you see any improvements needed in the tutorial.

New Age Jesus
11-07-2006, 07:24 PM
This is perfect for a headpeice I have to make, but how durable and how heavy is the finished product?

Annie-Mei
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
This is perfect for a headpeice I have to make, but how durable and how heavy is the finished product?

not that heavy. ^_^ and its pretty durable.

to put into perspective:
http://www.arus.org/album/albums/userpics/10001/normal_guyver.jpg

all the armor you see he's wearing (except for the helmet) is made from Hotglue ^_^.

astillar
11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Wooo, Annie-Mei called it "thermal adhesive," rather than sounding like a commoner and calling it "hot glue." Bleh!
Anyways, I advocate casting with hot glue, it's surprisingly easy and effective. The only time I've ever had trouble with it is when making big pieces (anything thicker than an inch, more or less). Even though it's hot glue, it gets heavy if you use it to make a solid piece of significant size. But even worse, if you cast a lot of hot glue at once, it cools improperly. The exterior will cool first, but the core will stay warm. The problem is that this can create tension, which might lead to your hot glue piece spontaneously cracking open somewhere down the line.
Other than that though, hot glue's a great starter casting material.

WARPAINTandUnicorns
11-07-2006, 10:37 PM
You and your fancy Oil Based Clay lol I’ve always use fine silt clay for sculpture and standard Plaster of Paris for my moulds but I‘ll keep that clay in mind since it looks cleaner to remove from a mould. I think it’s funny that the topic name scarred me at first since I could see the glue sticking to the mould to easily and yet I do pewter casting. Have you tried other release method like hand soap or Vaseline?

PrincessYuni
11-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Personally, I use the cheapest "never-dry" clay from my local dollar store. I don't remember the real name but its cheap and at the dollar store. But anyways, it comes out 100% clean every time. The clay's color comes off on your hands and takes a bit of scrubbing to remove, but otherwise I've got no beefs.

I have casted Ichigo's 2nd sword (I cant remember the name offhand) completely from thermoplastics. Other than needing to add a dowel rod (support) to make it rigid, rather than flimsy, it is completely hot glue. And i would like to add that it looks awsome.

Most of Mr Bioweapons.com's guyver suit is not thermoplastics. Some of the smaller pieces are, but the large peices like the legs are still fiberglass.

But yes, good tutorial. Added to The Tutorial List.

shaowebb
11-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Thermo plastics? Is this something like a plastic you buy, melt and then cast?
Please link to where I may buy such things or at least maybe could I have a brand name I can research on the topic?

Annie-Mei
11-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Thermo plastics? Is this something like a plastic you buy, melt and then cast?
Please link to where I may buy such things or at least maybe could I have a brand name I can research on the topic?

Not sure, but it could be the same stuff used in Vacuumforming, but you can melt it down further to become a liquid.

I personally use the Liquid plastic casting method since all you do is mix it up:
http://www.smooth-on.com/liqplas.htm

^^^ that is the same stuff used to re-make the Darth Vader Helmet for Episode 3.

Annie-Mei
11-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Updated so the tutorial is now completed.

calen383
11-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Does it dry really smooth or does it all depend on how smooth you make the clay in the beginning?

Okami Yokai
11-08-2006, 04:14 PM
O,O...........just amazing

New Age Jesus
11-08-2006, 04:46 PM
One more question, how would I mold something curved? Specifically Yuna's wedding tiara: http://games.tvrealm.com/YunaWeddingDress.jpg

Annie-Mei
11-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Does it dry really smooth or does it all depend on how smooth you make the clay in the beginning?

as with all castings, its how smooth you make the clay. with the clay above, all you need to is to heat it up a bit ( blow dryer ) and with any clay/sculpting tool you can smooth out your surface.

Annie-Mei
11-08-2006, 05:39 PM
One more question, how would I mold something curved? Specifically Yuna's wedding tiara: http://games.tvrealm.com/YunaWeddingDress.jpg

The tiara she wears?

You would sculpt it, then cast it in two pieces.

for something that delicate, i suggest using a rubber jacket mold or silocone (RTV) mold instead of a plaster mold. That way, when you do your casting, you can easily remove the casting from the mold.

http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials_rtv_molds.php

Atrista
11-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Nice tutorial, I'll Keep it in mind!

calen383
11-08-2006, 09:30 PM
The tiara she wears?

You would sculpt it, then cast it in two pieces.

for something that delicate, i suggest using a rubber jacket mold or silocone (RTV) mold instead of a plaster mold. That way, when you do your casting, you can easily remove the casting from the mold.

http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials_rtv_molds.php

That link = amazing. I've always been confused about how they made things from resin and the silicone is a really really good idea. That site broke it down for me so easily! :D

Ikariya
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
What do you all think about heat problems when wearing the pieces casted? I took my swords to Anime Expo last year and they were well secured with hot glue, but some of the connections melted... Is the hot glue good enough to withstand the hot hot LA summer weather?... in the car!?... It's just a concern I have before i dedicate myself to a large project ^^;;

calen383
11-08-2006, 11:33 PM
What do you all think about heat problems when wearing the pieces casted? I took my swords to Anime Expo last year and they were well secured with hot glue, but some of the connections melted... Is the hot glue good enough to withstand the hot hot LA summer weather?... in the car!?... It's just a concern I have before i dedicate myself to a large project ^^;;

Well, its not just hot glue that could have that effect. When I left my bazooka from my Lady costume in the car in hot weather, the 5-6 layers of spray paint started to melt and made the entire thing...saggy until it cooled again.

I'd say hot glue would definately have that effect. However, if you know this ahead of time, why not just take it into the hotel with you immediately or other such precautions. I don't see why you can still go ahead with this method if you just plan ahead.

Annie-Mei
11-09-2006, 01:14 PM

um, you should never put anything in a hot car in the first place ^_^
even paint will melt on a item in a hot car. anything that is acryllic based, plastic and what not will be subjected to heat.

You dont wnat to know what happens to a VHS Tape when its in a hot car...

Ikariya
11-09-2006, 10:42 PM
I guess i more or less answered my own question lol. Its just that driving down to LA in the heat of summer was horrid and some of my stuff melted ;__; Thanks everyone!

On an additional note, I made my Cloud pauldron's pleather covering by using hotglue to soften the pleather and bond it to my base, making a lightweight and tough piece of armor =D

Keilania
11-09-2006, 10:56 PM
For the zanarkand symbol in my yuna cosplay i made out of just hot glue without the mold. Just put it on a plastic table and let it dry. easy and really durable. pics in gallery

Ditto
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM

If it's a small item you could always put it in a plastic bag inside a cooler with ice, I have done that before to transport small plastic items (DVDs, VHSs, etc.). and, back to the general topic, could you make a copy of something using this method if the object was, say, metal? thought I would ask before going out and buying the stuff to try it out.... which I won't be able to do anytime soon anyways xD.

meowl
11-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Our Alphonse armor fell apart in the heat and humidity at Comicon in San Diego. The glue softened in the heat.

R1KKu
11-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I casted my Sesshoumaru spikes in hot glue and because I went to Otakon one year, I had them covered in fiberglass resin so that they wouldnt melt in the car.

I know a woman who used hot glue for some of her swords and they turned out amazing.

Beryl
11-11-2006, 03:17 AM
I casted my Sesshoumaru spikes in hot glue and because I went to Otakon one year, I had them covered in fiberglass resin so that they wouldnt melt in the car.

I know a woman who used hot glue for some of her swords and they turned out amazing.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the casting of large props would be done? Trinkets, I can imagine. But a whole sword? How would you keep the glue from cooling while you were still applying it?

TagaSeguchi
11-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Heat gun maybe? but I'll let the experts tell you I am going to try this soon just have to find a character to do this with

Ikariya
11-13-2006, 11:57 PM

Did she cast them in this same method? I have a Soul Calibur (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=652553) sculpt I've been dying to cast but have been unsure to use resin or not. It's kinda **big** and has some undercuts... What do you guys think?

WARPAINTandUnicorns
11-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Did she cast them in this same method? I have a Soul Calibur (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=652553) sculpt I've been dying to cast but have been unsure to use resin or not. It's kinda **big** and has some undercuts... What do you guys think?

You may want to take this route since you don't want the Soul Calibur break the mould.
http://www.whatishcc.com/tutorials_resincasting.php
Ha I made a pun!

Tayels
11-14-2006, 01:46 AM
would this meathod be good for making Axels chakrams?(KH2)

http://www.kh2.co.uk/image.php?view=com/artwork/15.png

too big? and would it be sturdy enough? I mean, I wouldn't be flinging them around exactly. but if I accidentally rammed 'em into something? (sorta prone to doing those things...)

aaaand

instead of using a hot glue gun, could I melt up a whole heap of glue sticks in pot? then pour into the mould?

and are air bubbles a big problem?

R1KKu
11-14-2006, 08:59 AM

I dont think she used a mould but rather just a pattern of the sword and laid down the hot glue; she didnt tell me the full details. I also think she used some other materials in the sword for support so it wasnt fully constructed in glue.. I would think a full hot glue casted sword would be both heavy and fragile, maybe Im wrong. You can see the sword at http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=217835 I think the blade is two sides put together, fully constructed of hot glue.

You could melt the sticks in a pot. When I made my spikes, I just used the gun and ended up with some funky shapes in my mold which I smoothed down with a heat gun later on. Also, hot glue can take some damage. Say like if you knock it against a hard,rough surface like concrete, it will leave scratch marks.

Annie-Mei
11-14-2006, 11:45 AM
would this meathod be good for making Axels chakrams?(KH2)

http://www.kh2.co.uk/image.php?view=com/artwork/15.png

too big? and would it be sturdy enough? I mean, I wouldn't be flinging them around exactly. but if I accidentally rammed 'em into something? (sorta prone to doing those things...)

aaaand

instead of using a hot glue gun, could I melt up a whole heap of glue sticks in pot? then pour into the mould?

and are air bubbles a big problem?

i would make the rings from a styrofoam circle, and use the hot glue method (backed by foam centers) to do the spear parts.

calen383
11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
i would make the rings from a styrofoam circle, and use the hot glue method (backed by foam centers) to do the spear parts.

Warning: hot glue on styrofoam will melt. I'd suggest covering those foam pieces in clay or something of the like.

Annie-Mei
11-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Warning: hot glue on styrofoam will melt. I'd suggest covering those foam pieces in clay or something of the like.
^^ yeah that ^_^o

Tayels
11-17-2006, 09:02 PM

Beryl
11-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Here's a direct link to the BioWeapons site, in regards to Hot Glue Casting (http://www.bioweapons.com/ThermoForm.htm). Long story short is that it helps to keep five glue guns going at once so that you can empty one, reload, move to the next, etc. without waiting for the first one to heat up again. Good idea, really.

Don't know how one would do a sword, though. I mean, a lot of swords are complicated in shape, and can't just be cast in one piece. They'd need two pieces, but how would they be attached? Would it work to just hot glue them together?

Something like this (http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0770.html) would be handy (I could use one to trim the hot glue on my Featherweight-style sword, which sits half-finished...), too. Looks like they go for around US$35 (inc. shipping) on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbico-Hot-Knife-w-Solder-Tip-25-Wat_W0QQitemZ230051994287QQihZ013QQcategoryZ2582QQ cmdZViewItem). Too bad I'm kinda broke right now.

calen383
11-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I've been wondering this for a few days now: Can you sand hot glue? Or do you just use a razor to shape it?

Annie-Mei
11-20-2006, 12:13 PM
I've been wondering this for a few days now: Can you sand hot glue? Or do you just use a razor to shape it?

A hot knife or razor can smooth out the surface. You can't sand it.

Beryl
11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
A hot knife or razor can smooth out the surface. You can't sand it.
I thought that Featherweight had said you could, but I never had any luck with it.

I've also tried using a curling iron to smooth out hot glue. I've gotten okay results with that... to a point. I think a heated razor would be best, if I had the extra cash for one.

SpazzShadow
01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
lol that is super cool! and the product looks amazing. wow

Starsmith
05-10-2007, 02:49 AM
What other kinds of paint and primer do you suggest that aren't spray paints?

Annie-Mei
05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
hmm...didn't try anything else. I'd say look for anything that is alcohol based. The alcohol will help bind the paint to the adhesive. Acrylic based ones do not adhere to plastics (which is what some thermal glues are made of) too well.

abellabella
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm attempting this skull kid/majora's mask
http://gameplay.com.ua/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/Skull%20Kid_photo1_large.jpg

because I have NO idea how to do it otherwise..which would you recommend? Out of hot glue or resin? I was leaning more towards resin myself.
How much would something like this weight? o_O

Annie-Mei
05-24-2007, 12:08 AM
for yours, just use Rigid Wrap. Find a cheap salad bowl from like a goodwill or salvation army, and use that as your base. Wrap it in saran wrap around it, and then use rigid wrap on it, to form your mask.

abellabella
05-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks for that recommendation. I'll look into in! :D

Sinphonite
05-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Anyone know how well a glaze takes to the casts, rather than opaque paint?

I need to make a few dozen different faux gems in a variety of sizes. And this seems like it'll be about my best bet if a light glaze can be used to keep them translucent, but the right colors.

Annie-Mei
05-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Personally, I would use nail polish ( i did that to make some sphere jewels, and didn't want to deal with mixing resin colors to achieve the teal green/blue i needed). Two coats of the nail polish and a clear coat. Nice shiny sphere jewel.

Sinphonite
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
That'll work too then, thank you!

I just need a bunch of "rubies", that completely litter Puppetmaster artifact armor. Almost all bigger than the largest flat-back jewels I can find. Translucent ones would be preferable, but as long as they're shiney enough it'll work. I'll have to add nail polish to my list of things to get tomorrow.

Ryuukousai
01-17-2008, 07:47 PM
What's the biggest prop you could make with this? i understand that there would have to be support, but where do you think the glue becomes a hastle, and it'd be easier just to use resin or something? I need to make Cain's spear of doom,Helga's ice scepter, and Abel's scythe of death (All from Trinity Blood). Resin/fiberglass scare me (i'd probably splash it all over everything), and I'm reluctant to go near wonderflex and the like, including insulation foam. This seems like a good alternative, but do you think a spear of doom and a scythe of death is too much for hot glue with a base to handle?

Helga scepter and Cain Spear (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/kayleighoo/Anime/Trinity%20Blood/544970895.jpg)
Abel Scythe (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/kayleighoo/Anime/Trinity%20Blood/544209039.jpg)

Annie-Mei
01-18-2008, 01:46 AM
i recommend using this method for small items, also that you need to be flexible (which is why i did it this way)

for swords a such, no, not a good idea. Cardboard, foamies backed by dowels, or the extreme, casting in fibreglass are the best methods for making swords.

The headband i made, used 10 sticks of hot glue (the 6" size). And you have to be fast. when you dont do the entire thing at "one time", you get an overlapping of the glue as it cools.

Nothing bigger than something the size of your hand.

Cirkus
02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Uh, am I crazy or do you pour the plaster over the clay without baking it? It looks like it's still wet. :X Whatever it's supposed to be, you might want to clarify it better in the tutorial x3; I tested this out, but first I baked the clay and of course the plaster holds onto baked clay for dear life. D:

Annie-Mei
02-17-2008, 03:46 PM
I mention in the tutorial about using Oil Based clay. Oil based clays do not get hard , and stays soft no matter how long it takes you to sculpt. The "baking" part i mention in the tutorial is based on getting the clay soft enough to sculpt with (that was based on the clay that I used, some oil based clays do not require this step). And its in the first step. I make no mention during the rest of the tutorial about putting the clay in the oven with the plaster (plaster hardens on its own, it doesn't need heat to harden - it creates its own heat to do so).

Roma Plastina (non-sulphur version) made by Chavant is an excellent oil based clay.

verdatum
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
for nonspray primers, I reccomend "Mr. Base White 1000" by Mr Hobby if you can find it and wanna splurge, and gesso otherwise.

For nonspray paints, I reccomend hobby acrylics. Mr Color, Tamiya, Testors, Games Workshop, they all come in little cups and sold in any hobby shop. For larger props, i'd reccomend just using Liquitex artist acrylics.

A top clearcoat is a good idea too for protection. That part you might wanna just grit your teeth and spray, but otherwise, mod podpodge (if i'm spelling it right) applied in thin coats is a decent nonspray alternative.

Kyriea
02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I will definatly use this if I'm able to do my Kyrie cosplay. I have absolutely no experience using anything else mentioned, so Hot glue is what I'll most likely use!

Sintakz
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
So I'm wicked low on cash and remember making Paper Mache in school with flour and water. Could I use this to make my negative and if so anyone have a flour to water ratio?

MishAndJon
02-18-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm really excited about your tutorial, I think I have the perfect chance to use it.
For those that be, can you answer my riddle three?

Okay, not really three.. or a riddle... but say on Canti's (FLCL) head, the little triangles that come off, what would be my best bet to cast that? Just create a triangle and do the cast around it?

It could be that I'm going on no sleep right now, but I can't just logically make it in my head.

Annie-Mei
02-18-2008, 02:49 AM
If you can provide reference pictures, I can say what method is best to create them.

Annie-Mei
02-18-2008, 02:51 AM
So I'm wicked low on cash and remember making Paper Mache in school with flour and water. Could I use this to make my negative and if so anyone have a flour to water ratio?

I dont suggest it. hot glue will melt any bonding created by the "flour" on your newspaper. It will get yucky

Plaster is REALLY cheap your nearest hobby and craft store (michael's, Jo anns, etc). About $5 for the tub that you see in my tutorial. And I didn't even use a lot of it to make the castings you see in the tutorial.

MishAndJon
02-18-2008, 03:26 AM
If you can provide reference pictures, I can say what method is best to create them.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs9/i/2006/013/8/9/Lord_Canti__Manga_Version__by_SHADOBOXXER.jpg

the best picture with the most detail I could find. I would like to do all of the intricate little things in the thermal adhesive. Maybe even do a rework of my entire helmet in it.. *dread*

Sintakz
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Alright time to go buy plaster.

TwilightAmelia
02-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Is it harder to make faceted jewels with this method? I'm a beginner at prop-making and don't want to mess with resin or cutting fiberglass, but no one else seems to have any ideas for making faceted jewels.

Annie-Mei
02-24-2008, 03:23 AM
jewels should be made from resin. no this method isn't good for jewels.

TwilightAmelia
02-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Mkay. Just checking.

Okami_Wolf
02-29-2008, 03:30 PM
How well does this technique mix with other techniques?
For example:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Lucca_new_art.jpg
Let's say that I wanted to make Lucca's (Chrono Trigger) helmet out of a mixture of sculpey and thermal adhesives. If I wanted to make the band out of sculpey and the headset out of thermal adhesives, would the headset attach properly to the sculpey? Or would I be better off sticking to one or the other?
My main concern is weight. I don't want the headset pulling the helmet to one side while I'm wearing it.

Ribii-chan
05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm planning a future cosplay of Rinslet Walker from Black Cat. She has a necklace that appears to be made of red crystal. I'm sure if this technique doesn't work for me, I can go stalk Claire's >_>

Anywho. Do you think it would be possible to add red food coloring to the hot glue? I've used hot glue before, but not for making casts, so I dunno about its dying capabilities. I don't think mixing it in /in/ the cast would be a good idea, as it threads like no one's business and would probably get on the mixing aparatus...

My goal is to keep it translucent, or at least semi, which couldn't be accomplished by casting and painting it.

BW: http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9237/rinsletwalker5xh.jpg
Colors: http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestselling-comics-2007/2693-1.jpg

Annie-Mei
05-24-2008, 12:34 AM
they do make colored glue sticks:
http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/fb0b4d59985ae8236008a910bf5e9a34.html

however, you're best bet is to get a mold (heart shaped) and do a polyester Resin casting (Cast & Craft) to make the heart jewel. you can add translucent dye to make it red.

Your local Michaels should have them in the Glue Section (next to the Clay).

shingle
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
hi^^ if got a few questions to that: first, can thy melt again when they lay in the sun to long?
second: i wanna make ashes wedding dress,and as there are so many "plates" on her head, may you can give me advice what to use best for them? i dont really dare the hot glue to be on my hair, although its dried, or dont i have to fear? i thought of clay too, but that will be too heavy and due to the weight, someone ment i should use foam, but will foam really match for her "plates"? (i dunno how else to call them, sry XD")

shingle
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
oh shot, i forgot to post the link XD" heres a pic of her:

http://photobucket.com/image/wedding%20ashe/Roxas777/final_fantasy_xii.jpg?o=8

Diefbaby
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
hi^^ if got a few questions to that: first, can thy melt again when they lay in the sun to long?
second: i wanna make ashes wedding dress,and as there are so many "plates" on her head, may you can give me advice what to use best for them? i dont really dare the hot glue to be on my hair, although its dried, or dont i have to fear? i thought of clay too, but that will be too heavy and due to the weight, someone ment i should use foam, but will foam really match for her "plates"? (i dunno how else to call them, sry XD")

If you use the high melt glue, there's not much chance of the glue completely melting if it lays in the sun. Any object you make could get soft and mushy though. Once the glue dries you won't have any problems using it as a hair ornament or any other kind of ornament.

For this past AKon I used hot glue and made a very sturdy replica of a fireplace poker. It looked quite real until you looked very closely at it.

shingle
06-16-2008, 09:17 AM
If you use the high melt glue, there's not much chance of the glue completely melting if it lays in the sun. Any object you make could get soft and mushy though. Once the glue dries you won't have any problems using it as a hair ornament or any other kind of ornament.

For this past AKon I used hot glue and made a very sturdy replica of a fireplace poker. It looked quite real until you looked very closely at it.

hmm, ok, ill keep it in mind^^ thanx!
and..uhm..a fireplace poker? for what cosplay? o__O
sry if thats ot of topic

Goldfinch
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
What can you use to dye the glue so that it has uniform color but is still translucent? I would like to melt a vat of hotglue, add dye, then pour it into a mould, but what should I use for that?

Elly-Chan
06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
i'm currently also working with hot glue but i have a problem.
Even tho my negative cast is completely even the hot glue result turns out completely terrible. I cover all the surface with hot glue but when i remove it i can see air holes on the positive that weren't there before. This makes the whole cast look completely uneven.

What am I doing wrong? T.T

glass_ayla
07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I just finished my first attempt at using Thermal Plastics and I have to say it was EASY! A bit messy, but EASY!

Elly- just fill in the bubbles with some low temp glue (will not burn your fingers)

thezeronumber
08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Simple question: A variation on this technique.

What kind of effect would common PVA glue have on this method if it replaced the hot-glue?

* Would the end product be similar to that of 'soft-glue' and melt quite easily in warm conditions?
* Would it be extremely floppy or actually hold itself very well and be stiff?

SakuraHimeサクラ姫
09-29-2008, 06:05 AM
hello, i want to ask something..

isit possible to make this handguard out of hotglue? http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gameix0.jpg

i was thinking if it was heavy or not, and whether it cracks easily o_O

cause it will be on my hand, and i will possibly be moving my hand around much..

verdatum
09-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Hotglue is extremely flexible, and very lightweight. However, with a piece that large, you may run into problems with airbubbles. If you intend to paint over it, that's no big deal, but you may want to use some surfacer to fill in any small airbubbles on the surface. Also if you paint it, the paint can crack when overflexed. For best results, give it a couple days after painting to fully cure before stressing it. If not using an industrial type gluegun, your finger will get tired squeezing out all that glue, but such is cosplay I suppose.

verdatum
10-01-2008, 12:09 AM
What can you use to dye the glue so that it has uniform color but is still translucent? I would like to melt a vat of hotglue, add dye, then pour it into a mould, but what should I use for that?

Old question but a good one. Universal powder pigment will be your best bet. for safety, you'll likely want "cosmetic grade". You'll have to order this online. Alternatively, if you want a fleshtone, the 'bare minerals' cosmetics work (basically same stuff with a little glittery mica added). OR, if you have a cake supply store nearby, you can use powder type food colorings. In each case, a little goes a long way, so mix it in little by little. For best results, start with just a dot of plastic, and mix in the full desired amount of pigment. Then while mixing, slowly add more plastic. This prevents it from clumping together and going to waste. You know you've made this mistake if it looks all speckled. In which case, you just need to keep mixing until the color evens out. after all the mixing, you'll likely need to do something like put the plastic into an oven set just at the melting point to let the airbubbles surface. ideally inside a heavy container like cast iron to even out the crazy bouncing oven temperatures. Overheating the plastic discolors it and causes toxic fumes, which are not a good thing to have lingering in an oven you use to cook food.

verdatum
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Simple question: A variation on this technique.

What kind of effect would common PVA glue have on this method if it replaced the hot-glue?

* Would the end product be similar to that of 'soft-glue' and melt quite easily in warm conditions?
* Would it be extremely floppy or actually hold itself very well and be stiff?

(arrrrg, forgive me for tripple posting!)

PVA glue (commonly known in the US as Elmer's School Glue) is a completely different animal from hot-glue. It is not a thermoplastic, meaning it does not melt. It is waterbased, meaning it dries very slowly when in large volumes, and it shrinks as the water evaporates. To avoid this, you'd have to brush it into a mold one thin layer at a time, which would be a HUGE pain if you ask me. When it is dry, it is slightly flexible, but will become brittle (and yellowed) with age and UV light exposure.

thezeronumber
10-02-2008, 04:35 AM
A few days after i posted that i decided to research myself and found out everything i needed to know. But thanks for the (uber-delayed) reply! XD

Hopefully people who asked have this subscribed so they can see all of the post'age.

Annie-Mei
10-03-2008, 11:55 PM
For those that are interested in getting a surface to paint on, you can use Gesso and apply a couple of layers, so that you can sand it down.

lumierie
10-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Just a weird thought. This idea popped in my head while i was at work. I read in a site w/c was posted here a few pages back that using 4 glue guns simultaneously is advised so that you don't run out of hot glue and you can continue filling the mold with glue while the other parts are still hot. My idea is,melt a bunch of glue sticks in a pan and just pure the molten hot glue in the mold and let it dry. Again this is just a crazy idea so I'm not sure if it's going to work. Heck I might try it one of these days. I'll just do it in my backyard to avoid "incidents". :P

Annie-Mei
10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Not crazy. actually doable. i've done it in a big pot for a headband i made. that is actually how many people do it.

Meitachi
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Wow, this is a fantastic tutorial! Definitely one of the more novice-friendly ones for beginners. I do have a question, though. Would it be possible to use this method to sculpt out the armor pieces for this character, Kos-Mos, from Xenosaga.

http://static2.animepaper.net/upload/thumbs/scans/Xenosaga/%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dscans_Xenosaga_kittylov e(0.72)__THISRES__149345.jpg

And a view from behind:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6143/ver1qp1.jpg

I'm looking more at the 'wings' on her upper arms and the half circles on her hips. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Annie-Mei
01-14-2009, 02:50 AM
i would not suggest using this method for fairly large pieces, without backing the armor up with some kind of structure beneath it, that wont conduct body heat.

EVEN body heat can cause hot glue to melt, but if you take precautions, and pad your armor correctly, you can section off the armor into pieces and cast them up seperately

Meitachi
02-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Thank you very much for the input! :D

xMandiex
02-04-2009, 06:19 PM
I wish I'd found this last year! This is freakin awesome!

Confuzzierumi
05-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Thank you so much for this tutorial!