PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Tripod Advice

CosplayerGabi
11-10-2006, 01:24 AM
I have recently found out I really like playing with exposure time. Problem is on the go I can't stay still enough to keep the image from turning ridiculously blurry most of the time. Only 1/3 of my night or long expose pics turn out well.

I have a tripod I inherited from my boyfriend's father but it is MUCH too big and heavy to have at a con while I am in costume. I need suggestions for a light weight tripod (monopod would be a last resort) I can fold up and put in a messenger bag ect.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/viberaphon/Halloween2006/IMG_0463.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/viberaphon/Halloween2006/IMG_0460.jpg

Oklahoma
11-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Tripods for the most part are a nightmare at cons unless you have a spot to set up at and STAY there. It was hard enough for me to get from my room to main programing with mine to set up for the masquerade. I would look around at regular stores like walmart or target or best buy at their small tripods. Many are still decent and will get the job done if you don't beat them up a lot. There really is no end all solution when it comes to equipment. What works for one may not work for another and what may be ideal for the job is just out of budget. Another option is to look at some of the digipods that are out for cameras. these are small tripods that can be set on tables or chairs and only stand about a foot tall and can only hold smaller cameras as large ones will break them due to the weight. Since you used a Canon Powershot A530 you won't have to worry about this.

So the only advice I can give is look around and find one you like.

staereo
11-10-2006, 03:20 PM
HAve you considered a monopod? These seem to be much more in line with what you're aiming to use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=

The other thing I've heard of people doing is mounting a tripod mount to a piece of chain about as tall as they are. Then you drop the chain from your pocket, and hook it to your camera, and pull it taunt while stepping on the bottom with your foot. Not the MOST stable, but far more stable than your hands alone, and it fits in your pocket. Not sure where I read that, but its creative.

Bruce

jtnishi
11-10-2006, 03:33 PM
I think the key is to consider size of camera to tripod first. I think if you're dealing with a small compact camera, I don't think any recommendation would be better than just going to a local electronics store or camera shop, and physicallly trying out the tripod. There's too many brands out there without much in the way of recognition for smaller cameras, I think, that none particularly stick out in my mind. The only thing I recommend is take a very careful look at the leg joints themselves, and make sure they aren't flimsy, since that's where I see most tripods break. Other than that, at consumer level, I can't provide any advice.

If the camera is big or heavy enough to warrant a serious tripod, however, I'd go with Bruce's advice about looking into a monopod if you really want lightweight, though it requires a quantity of practice to use correctly. For serious tripods, the usual names to look for are companies like Bogen, which specializes in quality stuff (but they cost an arm and a leg, and are by no means lightweight). However, odds are if you're looking into tripods like that, there are other options to try first to avoid using a tripod in the first place.

JadeCat
11-14-2006, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't bring a tripod to a con. It's too unweildy, esp. in costume.
I do a lot of hiking and camping, so I've got a carbon fiber tripod by Gitzo. There are cheaper ones, like Feisol, but 'cheap' is in relation to other CF tripods by Bogen/Manfrotto or Gitzo. Mine is only about 3 lbs including the head.

What kind of camera do you have? If you don't have a DSLR, maybe a Gorillapod would be more useful to you.

JukeboxJude
11-16-2006, 04:58 PM
goodstuff!

regarding tripods...

i'll have to get back to you