PDA

View Full Version : Looking at hotels for SDCC '07

Lyris
11-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Dang....you know the Omni, like literally right next to the convention center....sold out already. Someone told me that a couple months in advance would be good enough, but the con isn't for another 7-8 months or so. Am I like the only one who hasn't gotten a hotel yet? Should I start immediately now? Any good suggestions please? I'm gonna die soon...I feel like its already too late. I mean man, should I start reserving my hotel for the next year while I'm at the con??? ....Help.....

Mandy Mitchell
11-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Check the SDCC website in January 2007. They will have their list of SDCC sanctioned hotels soon. It's best to book your room through SDCC as soon as the hotels are available. The hotels sell out really fast. Plus you'll get SDCC the room discount.

Chibi Plush Toy
11-24-2006, 01:27 AM
WTF How can Omni be sold out already? The date is like...hella far from today!

Lisa Honeychan
11-26-2006, 02:35 AM
I work in the hotel business here in Las Vegas..Granted San Diego -might- be a bit different than here, but i'm SURE the Omni isn't sold-out officially.

Hotels will tell potential customers they are sold out or unavailable for dates they are trying to protect for a big group or convention. SDCC probably takes 50-75% of the available rooms for that time, and my guess is that right now, they haven't signed the contract with the convention for the amount of rooms they want yet.

January is the magic time that the con sends out a mailer/update on guests for the coming year's event, plus hotel information. Did you attend in 2006? If so, you'll get the update telling you to book your hotel ASAP.

Don't forget, San Diego has many, many other good hotels in the city. If you have your own car for use, the Hotel Circle area is about 4-5 miles away, and i've been able to book one month before the con with no problems. But, if you want to stay at the Omni for the free transportation to the con...Book in January.

Hope this helps,

Lisa Honeychan

Eurobeat King
11-26-2006, 11:15 AM
The hotels for SDCC 2007 are available at the special con-rates starting on:

February 6th, 2007 at 9:00am PST

At that time you can reserve a room at comic-con.org, or by calling 1-877-55-COMIC (1-877-552-6642) but don't call until that date arrives.

I'm going to try again for the Manchester Grand Hyatt again, if not, then I'll try for the Marriott. Usually the first one to sell out is the Gaslamp Hilton which is across the street from the middle-section of the convention center.

A J
11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
It's not sold out per se. SDCC always holds a huge block of rooms in all the nearby hotels. Any rooms not held for SDCC can be booked but I bet those are all booked already by people trying to bypass the con hotel registration.

There will be rooms available when sdcc opens up hotel booking but u have to move fast as they're usually sold out within the day. And by sold out, I mean ALL the hotels. o_O

Housing is always such an adventure for SDCC. =P

rednecko
01-05-2007, 08:00 AM
The hotels for the SDCC block sell out within hours. I would suggest booking now for further away hotels to guarantee a hotel room. I just booked a room for $110 a night at the Holiday Inn-National City (two blocks from a trolley stop and free breakfast). If you get a room in the official room block, you can cancel the other room. Make sure you avoid using Orbitz, expedia, Hotels.com for this. Those sites require pre-payment for those rooms at time of booking. Go to the official hotel websites and do book there.

linkluver6
01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
woah I got scared there for a moment

geez I need to plan who is going for this as well

february?

and I keep checking about ax

Eurobeat King
01-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm going to be ready on that Tuesday, Feb. 6th, to book my SDCC hotel that morning.

Last year (at my old job) I used the office computer to reserve my room, and my managers were cool about it. This year it's not so easy, so I have to be home to reserve it. If I have to work that morning, I'll call work and tell them I'll be a little late. ;) hehe

Good luck everyone in getting your SDCC room!

Kanira
01-14-2007, 02:04 AM
woah I got scared there for a moment

geez I need to plan who is going for this as well

february?

and I keep checking about ax

AX already has their hotels out :> The Renaissance is the big one second to the Hyatt, with the rate of $133 through the convention. Am already booked myself, and I wouldn't recommend waiting; it doesn't cost you anything to book, and you can always cancel. Better too soon than too late.

SeleneLA
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Sounds crazy but the hotels sell out a year in advance, so get their hotels for the following year during the comic con.
But like the other posters have said there should be a few available still.

Lyris
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have suggestion of what hotel to stay at. Is the omni any good. Any hotels within a walking distance or CCshuttle line would be great. And anyone have a hotel suggestion NOT to stay in?

Illone
01-17-2007, 08:03 PM
There's a bunch of hotels in Hotel Circle (Mission Valley) area which is a good alternative since there's a trolly line pretty close by that can take you to the convention center. If there's a problem with the hotels near the Comic Con I would consider that a good alternative.

If I recall, there also were some busses that were taking people to and from Comic Con so I'm sure there will be some viable alternatives out there.

Eurobeat King
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Does anyone have suggestion of what hotel to stay at. Is the omni any good. Any hotels within a walking distance or CCshuttle line would be great. And anyone have a hotel suggestion NOT to stay in?

Although the Marriott is the closest hotel to the convention center, when you reach the con you'll be at the beginning of Hall A. Which is why the Hilton Gaslamp and the Omni are better, even though across the street (other side of the street-car tracks), when you get to the convention center, you'll be around Hall D or E, which is where the big, more popular booths are: Star Wars, Hasbro, New Line, etc. So it depends on which part of the con you want to start your morning at. :)

One hotel I wouldn't reccomend (unless you had no choice) would be the Horton Grand hotel. I stayed there in 2004, and it's an old-style Victorian-theme hotel, and the rooms are nice. Butttt.. there's no public-parking so you have to do valet everytime you want to go in-and-out, and they're very strict on keys: if you ask for more keys than you have people on the list (you ask for 3 keys when you say you have only two people) they will charge you for a 3rd person. Anddd.. because it's an older-hotel, there's no internet (maybe they have wi-fi) but you can use dial-up which is 75 cents a call. That was good since I made a 250 minute call to upload pics one night, and it only cost me 75 cents but it was reallllly sloooow to upload pictures. :thumbsup: Overall, after that year my bro and i decided to go back to the Hyatt and we've stayed there since 2005. :)

I personally would wait until the Feb. 6th date to book your hotel room, as the con-rate would most likely be cheaper than booking it beforehand. I've used the system since 2003, and it's quite reliable and I was able to look & choose the hotel I wanted (and got it) each year.

linkluver6
01-23-2007, 03:38 PM
AX already has their hotels out :> The Renaissance is the big one second to the Hyatt, with the rate of $133 through the convention. Am already booked myself, and I wouldn't recommend waiting; it doesn't cost you anything to book, and you can always cancel. Better too soon than too late.

yah I booked ax last week (hyatt!)

but I suppose I need to do comic con a sap

Eurobeat King
01-23-2007, 06:51 PM
The website doesn't show the pricing yet for the SDCC hotel con-rates, but if you get the comic-con update booklets, you get the breakdown of costs for the hotels. Here's some of the rates (as quoted in the update) for the hotels:

Single = 1 bed/1 person Double = 1 bed/2 people Twin = 2 beds/2 people Triple = 2 beds/3 people Quad = 2 beds/4 people

Hotel name, distance to convention center, cost for single or double, cost for twin, cost for triple, cost for quad : (the following have comic-con shuttle service)

Marriott Hotel and Marina/Adjacent/$225/$225/$245/$265

Omni San Diego/Across street/$192/$202/$212/$222

Hilton Gaslamp/Across street/$195/$195/$215/$235

Manchester Grand Hyatt/2 blocks/$192/$192/$217/$242

Horton Grand/3 blocks/$175/$185/$195/$215

Embassy Suites/5 blocks/$185/$195/$215/$235

Westin Horton Plaza/6 blocks/$175/$185/$205/$225

W San Diego/6 blocks/$289/$299/$319/$339

Westgate/7 blocks/$179/$199/ Triple & Quad Rate not available

Westin San Diego (formerly Emerald Plaza)/8 blocks/$157/$157/$177/$197

Sheraton Suites/10 blocks/$154/$164/$194/$204

Holiday Inn on the Bay/13 blocks/$164/$164/$179/$194

Sheraton SD Hotel & Marina/half a mile/$185/$185/$205/$215

Best Western Bayside Inn/1 mile/$145/$150/$150/$150

These two hotels DO NOT have comic-con shuttle service:

Town & Country/4 miles/$144/$144/$164/$184

Sheraton Mission Valley/6 miles/$138/$138/$158/$178

Again, these are the con-rates posted in the comic-con update, but won't be open until Tuesday, February 6th at 9:00am. Come that time, you can book your hotel at www.comic-con.org or call 1-877-552-6642. Please do not call until that day & time.

rednecko
01-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I am glad I have a hotel room outside the close in area. Those hotels are as expensive as Otakon's room rates. I am not sure that I would even try through the rooming service.

Eurobeat King
01-25-2007, 02:11 AM
I am glad I have a hotel room outside the close in area. Those hotels are as expensive as Otakon's room rates. I am not sure that I would even try through the rooming service.

You naturally would pay more the closer the distance you are to the con. And if you're bringing a lot or the heavier costumes, you will appreciate being right there so that you can change back and forth and more importantly, get out of the San Diego heat and into the cooler convention center. I'm sure most of the 501st Garrisson cosplayers will agree with me on that. ;)

If you stay outside of the area, and decide to drive to the con, the parking lots fill up quickly, plus when it gets really crowded, traffic outside the convention center is insane..

I just like being close so if I have to recharge batteries or transfer pictures from my memory cards to my laptop, I wouldn't have to go far to do that. :)

demifiend
01-25-2007, 01:32 PM
San Diego is a very trolley-friendly city. There are plenty of inexpensive hotels more inland (if you can tolerate things like Motel 6 and Best Western) that you can rent that are only a block or so from a trolley station which will jet you downtown and right in front of the convention center in no time. I pass many of them on my way to work, and will post a few of them here if anybody wants.

linkluver6
02-05-2007, 02:52 PM
oh geez I have no idea what to get
I suppose I shall try for the Omni in hopes I can get more people to come by then or else
I shall have to cancel and find something else
but 500 bucks...meh..

Eurobeat King
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I have to remember to set my alarm-clock early tomorrow..

good luck to everyone who plans on reserving one of the convention-rate hotels. :D They will go quick, since most of the 100,000+ attendees use the online/phone service to get their rooms.

Rogue Marvel
02-05-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure what I will be doing yet (need to have a sit down with the boyfriend to discus options) but I just stayed at the Westin San Diego (formerly Emerald Plaza) this past weekend and it is a very nice hotel with a nice rooms and great views of the city and a trolley station around the corner thats just two stops away from the con center.

Kaits
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
We got our hotel reservations an hour ago. No turning back now, eh? :D

Eurobeat King
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
The hotel rooms for the comic-con hotels are open! You can reserve them online here:

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_hotel.shtml

or call 1-877-55-COMIC

I tried both this morning at 9am, and the phone # is always busy, and trying to reserve a room online using that link takes forrrever, and sometimes doesn't load due to everyone using the online reservation system. :thumbsup:

To be safe, I reserved a room a few blocks away for a cheaper price, but I'll still keep trying to get something closer. Good luck to everyone else trying today! :)

piwackit
02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
So how many people had problems trying to use the Comic Con Travel Planners site this morning? Or how about not being able to get a live person on the phone (I tried for over an hour)

I think if anyone here has had problems in the past with this agency, or even this year we should start emailing SDCC. We should let them know they may want to go with an travel agency that can handle the volume of people booking online and over the phone.

cci-info@comic-con.org

Rogue Marvel
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
The hotel rooms for the comic-con hotels are open! You can reserve them online here:

or call 1-877-55-COMIC

I tried both this morning at 9am, and the phone # is always busy, and trying to reserve a room online using that link takes forrrever, and sometimes doesn't load due to everyone using the online reservation system. :thumbsup:

To be safe, I reserved a room a few blocks away for a cheaper price, but I'll still keep trying to get something closer. Good luck to everyone else trying today! :)

It was painful.

I had all the issues you did(and I used two different PC with different browsers to be safe) but around 9:45 I was able to get a spot at the best western bayside, most everything else didn't have rooms for all 4 nights. And hey at lest I has free breakfast and $10 a day parking.

Oh but I had a minor scare when I realized my CC expires in two months so it didn't want to take it because of that, but I called up my dad and he was nice enough to let me reserve on his.

I think next year I might just try to book early(ier) at a non con hotel and hope to get a decent rate. or have try calling and online with a bunch of other people to see if we can luck out that way

Eurobeat King
02-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Everything went fast... :eek: The online reservation page finally went up faster, but by then everything had sold out. It just shows that more people plan to attend SDCC this year.

I got the Motel 6 a few blocks away and I stayed there last year just for preview night, and then moved to the Hyatt for Thursday and on. It'll be interesting to see how this year will be like, having to travel via taxi to/from the con each day, free but slow internet, and smaller rooms. Well, I'd better stock up on batteries since I won't go back to the room until the con closes.. :thumbsup:

linkluver6
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
wow I didnt get on in time

well I got the san diego zoo area one
for one night
then we have to check out
then from the 28th to the 29th we get another room there
so basically it looks like we will be spending only one night at the convention center all night
lol
oh well
we will just have to find a hotel party to go to for that one night:rockon:
but yah it was quick!!!
though 120 a night isnt too bad for san diego
I am excited! I have never been to this con:bigtu:

Neo_Serenity
02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Everything went fast... :eek: The online reservation page finally went up faster, but by then everything had sold out. It just shows that more people plan to attend SDCC this year.

I got the Motel 6 a few blocks away and I stayed there last year just for preview night, and then moved to the Hyatt for Thursday and on. It'll be interesting to see how this year will be like, having to travel via taxi to/from the con each day, free but slow internet, and smaller rooms. Well, I'd better stock up on batteries since I won't go back to the room until the con closes.. :thumbsup:

ugh, ya, it was crazy, wasn't it? Didn't get the place we wanted, but did Holiday Inn on the Bay, which still fits our price range. :)

See you all down there - with the masses of other people, apparently. :P

Eurobeat King
02-06-2007, 09:42 PM
So how many people had problems trying to use the Comic Con Travel Planners site this morning? Or how about not being able to get a live person on the phone (I tried for over an hour)

Yeah, that phone # was always busy.. i gave up trying after 11:30am when the online-reservation page said that all the hotels were sold out from Thursday to Sunday.. :untrust:

Well, as long as people got A motel/hotel. I broke my streak of staying at a hotel for SDCC (last 5 years) but i'm sure I'll still enjoy the con. Just have to get used to the "downsizing" of luxuries this year.. but they are cheaper. :D

Hakaider
02-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah, the online booking system is insane. It couldn't handle the traffic.

It was amazing how fast the hotels went. Some got sold out within minutes. I tried the Hyatt and the Omni, but that was sold out before I could even get in. I tried to book the Holiday Inn on the Bay, and it was available when I first checked for availability and tried to book it. Yet, it got sold out in less than a minute after I tried to book it online.

Personally, I think the San Diego Convention Center can't handle the number of crowds anymore. (I heard that the Fire Marshall came last year on a Saturday and a cap had to placed on the attendance, because the Convention Center was filled to capacity. It had over 100,000 attendees.)

I think it's high time that they start looking for a convention center that can handle a larger crowd. The San Diego Convention Center is getting too small for Comic Con. There's simply not enough hotels for this con.

Of course, the new sports stadium nearby doesn't help.The sports crowd also books the nearby hotels for sporting events....making it even more crowded.

If the Convention Center is starting to have problems handling the maximum number of attendees that's allowed inside the building today, can you imagine what it would like 5-10 years from now? What happens when it hits 200,000 or 300,000? (If you think hotel availability is bad now, wait until it hits those numbers.)

I wonder if Comic Con would consider Las Vegas? They got more than enough hotels and convention centers, and they used to handling conventions that has 100,000 or 200,000 attendees.

The LA Convention Center may be adequate but the hotels in downtown LA can't handle those kind of numbers.

One thing is for sure, sooner or later, Comic Con is going to have to start looking for a new convention center or there'll be some serious problems with hotel and convention center capacity. The attendance numbers grows by leaps & bounds every year, and it won't take long to hit 200,000.

Also....if you didn't get a room, a good option is the Handlery Hotel San Diego in Mission Valley. It's about $189 a night.(The rate could go higher or lower.)

It's about a ten minute drive or so to the Convention Center. If you don't have a car, (Or you don't want the added hassle of looking for parking at the con) you'll have to catch the taxi to get to the convention center if you book this hotel. The Front Desk clerk said that it was about $20 one way. Since this is not a con hotel, there will be no shuttle service.

It may be a pain in the butt to catch the taxi everyday, but it beats having no hotel and sleeping in the park. On the plus side, they offer a shuttle service to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.

If you weren't able to get a room, you better book this hotel fast, because it'll sell out quick too.

Here's their website:

http://www.handlery.com/sd/home.asp

The hotel number is: 619-298-0511

Eurobeat King
02-07-2007, 12:35 AM
There are also rooms available if you check out hotels.com and search for those by the convention center. They list the main hotels at their *gulp* non-convention rates, but there are also some that are a few miles away at pretty decent prices.

I did have one window of opportunity today during that slowdown-period, where the Hilton Gaslamp (which is right across the street) was available when I searched for a one-bed smoking room, but when I tried to click it, the page took forever to load and then it messed up, and when I checked again the room was gone.. :mad: I also found it weird how the 1-877-55-COMIC phone # said you could call from 9:00am EST (which is 6:00am here in CA) and yet even if you got through, would you be able to reserve a room since the rooms weren't open to the public until 9:00am PST.. :confused:

My bro reserved the room for me last year while I was at work, and it took him a while but he was able to get it. This year I did the reserving (no work today) and that online-system looked different than the one I used for 2005. I wonder if they used this newer one last year or is this the first year for it?
Either way, it was not good for mostly everyone who was hoping to get the hotel room they wanted. :lost:

Hakaider
02-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I did have one window of opportunity today during that slowdown-period, where the Hilton Gaslamp (which is right across the street) was available when I searched for a one-bed smoking room, but when I tried to click it, the page took forever to load and then it messed up, and when I checked again the room was gone..

Yeah, that happened to me too. Irritating as heck...

How the heck are people going to be able to book rooms when the Comic Con reservation system can't handle the capacity?

If they still use the same reservation system in the next few years, I don't want to find out how bad it'll get when they hit 200,000 or 300,000....

Rogue Marvel
02-07-2007, 11:09 AM
It is the same system from last year, I remember, last year was the first year I tired.

If comic con gets up to 200,000 (and believe me they are close) and the building can't handle that many people they are just going to have to put reg cap on the con.

I don't think they would move, there is no suitable place for them to move to. And gosh darn it San Diego is such a beautiful city why would you want to leave? The weather is great, there are lots of nice places to eat and hang out.

And if they did move it would probably have to be a few years after they made the initial decision, after all they would have to find a new center and negotiate rates and dates and might be a few year before they they right weekend, plus we have no idea how far in advanced they have booked and contracts for at the SDCC.

I think the SDCC need to grow for comic con (which it kind of did a few years ago) but I don't think it has any room to grow.

linkluver6
02-07-2007, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=Hakaider;1720650]Yeah, the online booking system is insane. It couldn't handle the traffic.

Personally, I think the San Diego Convention Center can't handle the number of crowds anymore. (I heard that the Fire Marshall came last year on a Saturday and a cap had to placed on the attendance, because the Convention Center was filled to capacity. It had over 100,000 attendees.)

I think it's high time that they start looking for a convention center that can handle a larger crowd. The San Diego Convention Center is getting too small for Comic Con. There's simply not enough hotels for this con.

Of course, the new sports stadium nearby doesn't help.The sports crowd also books the nearby hotels for sporting events....making it even more crowded.

If the Convention Center is starting to have problems handling the maximum number of attendees that's allowed inside the building today, can you imagine what it would like 5-10 years from now? What happens when it hits 200,000 or 300,000? (If you think hotel availability is bad now, wait until it hits those numbers.)

I wonder if Comic Con would consider Las Vegas? They got more than enough hotels and convention centers, and they used to handling conventions that has 100,000 or 200,000 attendees.

The LA Convention Center may be adequate but the hotels in downtown LA can't handle those kind of numbers.

One thing is for sure, sooner or later, Comic Con is going to have to start looking for a new convention center or there'll be some serious problems with hotel and convention center capacity. The attendance numbers grows by leaps & bounds every year, and it won't take long to hit 200,000.

ahhhhhhhhh man vegas would be sooooooooooooo sweet! it would be expensive
but that would be awesome to have comic con there~
and all us wackos that dress up would fit right in with vegas hee hee:rockon:
100,000 people?
wow I know i am going to be blown away by this con

Hakaider
02-07-2007, 10:27 PM
And gosh darn it San Diego is such a beautiful city why would you want to leave? The weather is great, there are lots of nice places to eat and hang out.

And if they did move it would probably have to be a few years after they made the initial decision, after all they would have to find a new center and negotiate rates and dates and might be a few year before they they right weekend, plus we have no idea how far in advanced they have booked and contracts for at the SDCC.

There's no doubt that San Diego is one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S., and you can't beat the eating establishments or the weather. But it's not a question of how beautiful the city is, and how much we like the city, it's really a matter how much more traffic that the Convention Center and the nearby hotels can handle.

Last year, the Fire marshall had to put a stop on the number of attendees on Saturday, because the Convention Center was filled to capacity. And that's just for 100,000 and up. I heard of numerous complaints from attendees last year who had a hard time breathing inside the dealer's room on Saturday because of the sheer number of people. (The last time that I was there, I remember trying to fight the crowds and it was really not fun. Getting from place to place became a real chore.)

Now try to imagine 200,000 and 300,000....

Can you imagine trying to enter the Convention Center at noon and you were told that you can't enter the building because it was filled to capacity? (In the past, you could enter the Convention Center anytime you want to, because the crowds were never this big.)

Personally, I wouldn't want Comic Con to move from San Diego either. But if the San Diego Convention Center can no longer handle the numbers of attendees then they would have to move sooner or late...no matter how beautiful San Diego is.

Many anime & sci-fi cons work the same way. If it gets too big they just move to a bigger venue out of necessity.

If comic con gets up to 200,000 (and believe me they are close) and the building can't handle that many people they are just going to have to put reg cap on the con.

If it hits over 200,000, it's quite possible, that they could only accept the preregistered attendees, and there possibly may or may not be a onsite registration, depending on the number that needs to be capped. If it hits 300,000, it could possibly mean that only half the number of pregistered attendees could get registered depending on the number that is capped.

Can you imagine trying to pregister online only to find out that you can't get in because you weren't fast enough? The con hotels are already booked to the maximum with over 100,000 attendees, and we all seen how fast most of those con hotels got booked in a matter of less than a day. Now try to imagine trying to fight for Online Preregistration in a few years if a cap is placed for under 200,000 and there's 300,000 people trying to get in.

When San Diego Comic Con started back in 1970, I don't think the founders, Shel Dorf, and some local San Diegans dreamed, that it would get this big, some 37 years later. ( It started as the Golden State Comic Book Convention and it was held in the basement of the U.S. Grant hotel. There were only 300 attendees at the 1st con.)

I don't think they would move, there is no suitable place for them to move to.

As much, as I would hate to see them leave San Diego, it may possibly happen in a few years, once the con becomes too big for San Diego.

Las Vegas is a good option and more than suitable. They are used to handling crowds that over over 300,000 and there's more than enough hotels to handle the attendees. They are quite used to having huge conventions there and there's no shortage of eating establishments.

The Los Angeles Convention Center is also another option and it would be adequate, but the downtown hotels won't be able to handle that kind of crowd capacity.

Rogue Marvel
02-08-2007, 12:15 AM
I understand the situation, but again it would still have to be years from now and let us look at the negatives of Las Vegas.

Its really really hot in July. Just what we need 100,000 large geeks sweating up a storm in LV.

I've had this "its geting to big what are we going to do?" talk with many people about AX. They will work it out. And lets think about it 200,000 is alot of people! (4 times the size of my boyfriends hometown which is the largest city in Wyomming!) There is a good chance that it just flat out wont get that big.

And the Fire marshall comes every year and often shuts the building down (the past few years I've gone and helped out or been involved with the Masq I've been told how to get back in the building if the Fire Marshall shuts the building down)

We will see how the con progresses over the next few years. I'm optimistic that they will be able to deal with the incress and that it will level it self out. heck a lot of people will probably get tired of the crowds and stop coming ^_~

Mandy Mitchell
02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Of all the days SDCC could have picked for hotel booking, why did they have to pick a Tuesday morning? People have work and school you know. I had absolutely no access to a computer until the afternoon. I tried to call during my lunch break but the phone lines were jammed. All I can get was a hotel room on a Saturday night because Friday was completely sold out. It's getting tougher and tougher to get a hotel room at SDCC each year. Sometimes I even ask myself if it's even worth the trouble anymore. I made a commitment to go this year, but if I don't have any other plans, then I might just skip out on SDCC next year.
I stayed at Holiday Inn at the Bay in SDCC 2001 which was a decent hotel. Their rooms were available in May. But today they sold out in just a few hours. =(
I'm wondering if SDCC is going to start putting an attendance cap. Who would have known that the popularity of SDCC was going to outgrow the size of the convention center?

rednecko
02-08-2007, 07:23 AM
There are ways they can handle the crowds part of the event (not the hotel situation). The cap is one idea, but how about using the three closest hotels as programming rooms for fan panels and artist alley. You could take back Hall H into exhibitor space and move the movie panels to the Arena near Qualcomm stadium. You could also have programming tents in the park near the convention center. They need to use downtown as their festival venue kind of like what Otakon did last year with the Masquerade at the Arena and concerts in a nearby concert hall.

Khaibit
02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
My group snatched up a pair of quad rooms in the best western about a mile from the convention center, at the convention rate (150 per room per night) for the 25th through the 29th.

We *might* not end up using them, as we may get permission to use a friend's timeshare for free, instead. We'll probably find out sometime around march.

If that happens, I might be able to transfer the reservation on the room or rooms to the name of someone on these boards, if people still need rooms come march.

I'll keep folks posted as things unfold.

Dany
02-08-2007, 02:55 PM
If it hits over 200,000, it's quite possible, that they could only accept the preregistered attendees, and there possibly may or may not be a onsite registration, depending on the number that needs to be capped.

Correct me if I am wrong, but last year I believe there was NO Saturday onsite registration because of the expected capacity issues? I could be wrong, however...

Hakaider
02-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but last year I believe there was NO Saturday onsite registration because of the expected capacity issues? I could be wrong, however...

Actually...I wasn't referring to last year's Saturday registration cap at Comic Con with that particular paragraph that you selected. If you re-read my post/sentence again, I was trying to say that things could get a lot, lot worse if it hits 200,000 or 300,000, and there may or may not be a cap for preregistered attendees if the convention center can no longer handle the crowd capacity.

That number may actually be reached within 5 years if the crowd capacity keeps increasing like in the last few years...(The past 5 years grew by leaps & bounds.)

Maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be a sudden drop of 100,000? I doubt it though..Comic Con is becoming too popular and has many good things to offer. It's becoming mainstream even though it originally started out as a sort of an underground event for comic book fans. (The internet played a large part in increasing the numbers and it helped put Comic Con on the mainstream map.)

Oh and a quick note...Comic Con didn't always held it's con in July. It used to start later in the year. It got moved to July because there were other conventions that were scheduled later in the year and conflicted with Comic Con.

Eurobeat King
02-09-2007, 03:44 AM
Considering that I'll be coming back from Otakon on the East Coast late Sunday night or Monday (July 21 or 22), and then leaving for comic-con Tuesday night (if I'm driving from No.CA) I'm going to be pretty worn out not to mention back-logged with the Otakon pictures.. :thumbsup: So I won't mind saving $$ by staying at a cheaper place for SDCC, since a fun-filled weekend at the con can get expensive when you add up all the costs. And my poor wallet won't have recovered yet from Otakon or even AX 3 weeks beforehand..

It's going to be an expensive July in tackling the Big 3 cons, with the biggest one to end the month..

kelldar
02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Well, I'll miss going to SDCC this year, but I DON'T miss the hassle of making the reservations. From what I've seen here and on LJ it was even worse this year trying to get a room than previous years. It shouldn't be so frustrating just to reserve a hotel room!

Dany
02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Actually...I wasn't referring to last year's Saturday registration cap at Comic Con with that particular paragraph that you selected. If you re-read my post/sentence again, I was trying to say that things could get a lot, lot worse if it hits 200,000 or 300,000, and there may or may not be a cap for preregistered attendees if the convention center can no longer handle the crowd capacity.

My post was basically asking for confirmation of a rumor that there was no Saturday reg. I didn't go last year, so I wanted to be sure before I went bringing it up. I know that in '05 they stopped onsite Reg for a bit, but it -might- have restarted (was kind of busy that day, so again, not sure).

At the current location, with the current set up, you'll see 'lot lot worse' long before 200K :untrust: . You're already seeing -now-. And to tell you the truth, I highly doubt that the current location will see 200k without limiting registrations in some way or another. The convention center's facilities, I don't believe, are even remotely built for that level of people. It's already busting its capacity at under 150K.

They can't make the convention center much bigger, if at all, and right now, there are no places to accomodate the convention that stand out as a clear, obvious options..

(And before people start throwing ideas out there, bear in mind that there's a lot more to planning a convention of this size than just 'can the area support the influx of people'. There's things like...well, does the city WANT that many people flooding in at one time, that sort of thing. Sometimes the potential revenue isn't worth the problems that come with 100K people stampeding on a small city area at one time)

..so the next step, likely, will be limiting registrations, even pre-reg.

Eurobeat King
02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Well, I'll miss going to SDCC this year, but I DON'T miss the hassle of making the reservations. From what I've seen here and on LJ it was even worse this year trying to get a room than previous years. It shouldn't be so frustrating just to reserve a hotel room!

Aww.. sorry to hear that you can't make it this year to SDCC, Kell. :blubber: I assume you're going to Celebration IV in May and so you can't to AX and/or SDCC, right? I'm going to miss calling you and meeting up to take pics of your multiple costumes like we usually do.. Sucks that I have to wait until DragonCon (if not sooner) to take pics of you this year. *sniff*

Let's keep the discussion on-topic here with reserving rooms for this year and how the system was basically f'd up this year, and not debate how comic-con could potentially have up to 200,000+ attendees. This thread is about hotel rooms There are other threads to discuss the con itself.

So who ended up getting all those rooms, I wonder? I do know the SDCC staff has to reserve the rooms like everyone else, and they usually take up one specific hotel for just staff. One year they took up the majority of the Marriott hotel, but nowadays I believe staff stays at the Hilton Gaslamp.

Dany: Are your costume-plans now changed due to not getting the hotel you wanted?

kelldar
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't even get to go to C4 :( I'll only see you at Dragoncon this year! Chase & I are getting married in 2008, so we're trying to cut back to save money. So it's a good trade off LOL... but I still miss out on all my big cons this year.

Anyway back on topic, I decided not to go to Comic Con again after last year, mostly due to the hassles with making hotel reservations and the horrible crowds. Last year on Friday and Saturday, I had to think, why am I even here? I go to costume, yet you can't even get around the main floor without being crushed. I spend thousands of dollars for this?
I'm surprised they haven't capped registration already, really. It's to the point of being ridiculous.

Dany
02-09-2007, 05:02 PM
So who ended up getting all those rooms, I wonder? I do know the SDCC staff has to reserve the rooms like everyone else, and they usually take up one specific hotel for just staff. One year they took up the majority of the Marriott hotel, but nowadays I believe staff stays at the Hilton Gaslamp.

I called the travel agency yesterday..the guy I talked to apparently has been part of booking Comic-Con for about six years (so he's seen a lot!).

He says there are also a lot of the exhibitors and such that will overbook for rooms, and then drop the rooms as things get closer. The one-night charge hits on July 3rd. I would recommend that about three weeks before (give or take) to start checking availabilities. I think June is the 'final decision' month for many people, and those that have hotel reservations now, but won't end up coming or find other accomodations, will cancel so they don't get dinged.

Dany: Are your costume-plans now changed due to not getting the hotel you wanted?

Given that we actually have only our Masquerade presentation planned for costumes this time, probably not. However, it could makes Saturday MUCH more difficult. We may have to try to see about bringing everything to the convention and changing there. It would suck, but it would be better than risking damage to a three-hour-plus makeup job.

Mandy Mitchell
02-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Believe me, it was painful trying to reserve a hotel room at SDCC this year. I tried to reserve a hotel room during the afternoon and the only night available was Saturday and Sunday at hotels with no SDCC shuttle service. Traffic was terrible last year too! :mad: It's becoming more troublesome to attend SDCC these days than it was six years ago when attendance was only 40,000. (Anyways I was glad to meet you at Dragon*Con!) Some of my friends have already decided to just commute to SDCC from LA for just Saturday of SDCC.

Hypertexed
02-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Out of curiosity, Available or not what is the best hotel to goto at comic-con?

AnnissŽ
02-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah you are so right. It was so crowded last year. I was dressed in costume and my friend had to lead me around because it was actually kinda unbearable.

I am excited to attend the SDCC this year as I always am, and even considering I did get through the website and actually booked a room FOR ONCE in Downtown near the CON, I am kinda afraid of what the numbers will be this year for attendance!

I am cosplaying with my boyfriend and this will be his 1st time cosplaying at the SDCC, I don't want him to get scared off and annoyed by the insane amount of attendees. LOL! :eek:

Well, we will all just have to make the most of it and have the best time we can.

piwackit
02-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Depending on what your budget is a good bet is the official Con hotel.
The Embassy Suites are a good choice since they offer a full free breakfast & have a mini kitchen in each room.
If your willing to be further away from the con & possibly take the trolly, Hotel Circle & points North would be good. I think Petco Park is allowing for parking overflow for the Convention Center this year.

All in all, I think we should all go to the daily Con talk back & let them know how the ineffectual travel agency & the overcrowding is taking it's toll on a lot of congoers. Some of us who have been going for years.

If they don't know how people are being effected they won't have a reason to change the system.

atomic99
02-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I've been going to Comic-Con for years and last year was the first year where I thought it was too big. I've learned to avoid the Dealers Room on Saturdays but even the upstairs was packed.

Some of the crowd issues were brought up to Masquerade Coordinator, Martin Jaquish, with some things to consider......

• Comic-Con is booked up at the convention center for a few more years so whatever they do for crowd control, it has to be done at that convention center for the foreseeable future.

• Anaheim and Vegas were brought up as well. They've toyed with Anaheim before in the 90s (hence the name change to COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL). Perhaps that was more for leverage negotiating a new deal with the convention center. Like Rogue Marvel mentioned, Vegas might be too hot in July, especially for cosplayers with heavy costumes. Heat already played an issue in 2006 with an unusually hot Comic-Con. Moving the con to a Winter month might be sensible but many of these comic conventions like to schedule far enough away from the other comic convention (Like Chicago's Wizard World) and years in advance. I'm sure the same happens in the Cosplay/Anime conventions, right? Martin also points out that the core Comic-Con volunteers are from the San Diego area and may not want to move all their equipment to Vegas or Anaheim.

• I believe they bumped up prices this year. Perhaps a bigger bump would turn more people away? I think the convention people have operated like they would never want to turn people away and try to top the numbers from the previous year. (Like a business, you're always trying to top last year's numbers). They might need to re-think that now.

• The convention center already doubled in size over the last 8 years. Can it triple? I think the Comic-Con is a big boon for the city of San Diego so they would want to keep them there and the convention center might invest in more expansion again.

• Regarding the rumor of Comic-Con not selling onsite badges on Saturday, that is partially true. They were selling them until the Fire Marshall said "too many people" and then they had to stop. Probably a compromise rather than having the Marshall shut the whole thing down.

Like Piwacket said, going to the Con Talk Back and voicing your opinions is valuable to them. They are fighting for the right solutions to the problems as well. As much as we might like to put a cap on the number of people, what if we really wanted to go and missed the cap? Like suggested, would we then have to do some crazy online stuff in February just to get a badge? Or, worse yet, scalping tickets? Just stuff to think about.

My suggestions would be....
• Up the prices more.
• Cut back or out the big Hollywood panels. Yeah, I love them too but with less celebrities, less mainstream crowds and less attention from the press and media. All that coverage on G4, the Tonight Show, and Entertainment Weekly leads to more advertising for next year's con.
• Cut back or out on advertising like local television spots.
• I use to joke that they should have their biggest draw panels at Petco Park. Maybe that isn't a joke anymore? Pehaps the old Concourse center they previously used can be rented out for big panels or, like suggested, turn it into a city-wide event with many locations and defuse the large crowds through the city (the businesses would love it!).

And, lastly, if you lucked out on a hotel room and still want to brave the crowds, why not consider a cheaper motel room in Hotel Circle? Sure, you aren't near the con and it sucks if you have a large costume but there are benefits. The Super 8 motel in Mission Valley is about 100 yards from a trolley stop and costs $99 a night/$109 for weekends. I did this last year and it was just fine. When I opted to drive and get parking early enough on the weekends, it is a quick ten minute drive. Expedia shows them booked but I went through the Super 8 site directly. It ain't glamourous but you aren't going to San Diego for the hotel rooms, are you?

Eurobeat King
02-14-2007, 01:46 AM
It ain't glamourous but you aren't going to San Diego for the hotel rooms, are you?

haha i dunno.. the view from the Marriott or Hyatt overlooking downtown and the water outside is pretty breath-taking. ;)

Hotel circle, Sea World, Old town, etc. may have cheaper hotels, but you'd have to drive to the con, and unless you plan to get there earrrly to fight for a parking spot, you'll be spending time stuck in traffic, either before you reach the convention center or when you get there, and then looking for lots that aren't full. Since a lot of people drive to SDCC, those lots can fill up even right before noon (if not sooner.)

Test Type
02-14-2007, 09:11 AM
I've been going to Comic-Con for years and last year was the first year where I thought it was too big. I've learned to avoid the Dealers Room on Saturdays but even the upstairs was packed.

Hi atomic99,

I've only been to '05 and '06 but I felt that '06 was really hard work and very overcrowded.

Some of the crowd issues were brought up to Masquerade Coordinator, Martin Jaquish, with some things to consider......

ē Comic-Con is booked up at the convention center for a few more years so whatever they do for crowd control, it has to be done at that convention center for the foreseeable future.

ē Anaheim and Vegas were brought up as well. They've toyed with Anaheim before in the 90s (hence the name change to COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL). Perhaps that was more for leverage negotiating a new deal with the convention center. Like Rogue Marvel mentioned, Vegas might be too hot in July, especially for cosplayers with heavy costumes. Heat already played an issue in 2006 with an unusually hot Comic-Con.

I also spoke to one of the organizers and they said that they had looked at other venues, including Anaheim but that they had rejected Anaheim due to it's lack of surrounding facilities. I guess they wanted more than just a Pizza Hut in the vicinity.

Vegas??? Surely the heat would make that unworkable.

ē The convention center already doubled in size over the last 8 years. Can it triple? I think the Comic-Con is a big boon for the city of San Diego so they would want to keep them there and the convention center might invest in more expansion again.

ē Regarding the rumor of Comic-Con not selling onsite badges on Saturday, that is partially true. They were selling them until the Fire Marshall said "too many people" and then they had to stop. Probably a compromise rather than having the Marshall shut the whole thing down.

Like Piwacket said, going to the Con Talk Back and voicing your opinions is valuable to them. They are fighting for the right solutions to the problems as well. As much as we might like to put a cap on the number of people, what if we really wanted to go and missed the cap? Like suggested, would we then have to do some crazy online stuff in February just to get a badge? Or, worse yet, scalping tickets? Just stuff to think about.

It would be nice to see the convention centre expanded again but unless they take over the car park next door it may not be possible.

Putting a cap on at-con registration may be the only way forward but then people would probably just register well in advance even if they werenít sure they were going just to make sure they could get a place.

A more complicated way of doing this would be to hold back large blocks of tickets and release them in batches over a period of time leading up to the con. Not a good solution.

My suggestions would be....
ē Up the prices more.
ē Cut back or out the big Hollywood panels. Yeah, I love them too but with less celebrities, less mainstream crowds and less attention from the press and media. All that coverage on G4, the Tonight Show, and Entertainment Weekly leads to more advertising for next year's con.
ē Cut back or out on advertising like local television spots.
ē I use to joke that they should have their biggest draw panels at Petco Park. Maybe that isn't a joke anymore? Pehaps the old Concourse center they previously used can be rented out for big panels or, like suggested, turn it into a city-wide event with many locations and defuse the large crowds through the city (the businesses would love it!).

The thing is that in the long run a couple of these suggestions may prove to be worse for the con than the overcrowding or the at-con registration being capped on the day by the Fire Marshall. I donít like the idea of upping the prices more to try to price people out and reducing the Hollywood panels would probably be a mistake.

I think that cutting back on the advertising would be a good start but they should maintain the coverage on G4 etc, etc.

Since one of the reasons for them staying in San Diego was the facilities of the city they may want to make use of the city and spread some of their events about to other hotels and facilities. Moving the autographs elsewhere and expanding the dealers room upstairs could be a start.

I donít know where Pecto Park is but is it within a few minutes walk of the con centre? If so then perhaps moving some things there, autographs, larger panels etc could be a start.

Anyway if I make it to Comic-Con this year I shall certainly go to Con Talk Back as has been suggested.

Rogue Marvel
02-14-2007, 10:54 AM
haha i dunno.. the view from the Marriott or Hyatt overlooking downtown and the water outside is pretty breath-taking. ;)

Hotel circle, Sea World, Old town, etc. may have cheaper hotels, but you'd have to drive to the con, and unless you plan to get there earrrly to fight for a parking spot, you'll be spending time stuck in traffic, either before you reach the convention center or when you get there, and then looking for lots that aren't full. Since a lot of people drive to SDCC, those lots can fill up even right before noon (if not sooner.)

if you want a view (and are old enough) I suggest people go to the bar at the top of the Hyatt. It is breath-taking and a drink is a lot cheaper and easier to get then one of their hotel rooms.

For getting to the con center, I always suggest finding out where the nearest trolley station is relative to your hotel. That was you can walk or drive (if the station has a parking lot, and if it does you should find a place to park) to the trolley station and take that all the way down. Yes it take longer then driving, but the time spend looking for a parking spot downtown is reduced and the Trolley is kind of fun to ride.

I've done it every year but my first year and the last year. First year we tried driving in everyday from the campground we were staying it (there is an alternative to hotels) and last year we were close enough downtown that we could walk and take the comic con shuttle buses.

Oh and if you still want to fight for parking. I got a spot in the concenter parking on year by arriving at 6:30 am

Dany
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
I use to joke that they should have their biggest draw panels at Petco Park. Maybe that isn't a joke anymore? Pehaps the old Concourse center they previously used can be rented out for big panels or, like suggested, turn it into a city-wide event with many locations and defuse the large crowds through the city (the businesses would love it!).

Depending on who goes for what and why, I suppose that spreading things about a little bit couldn't be all bad.

There's probably a variety of places that the Con could expand to, if those places will take them. Dragon*Con is sprawled around three good-sized hotels, it probably would not be impossible to put some of the moderate-sized panels into the hotels, perhaps even a couple of the bigger ones as well.

There's only so much spreading that can be done, however, before things get inconvenient. Imagine your panel being in one building and then having to go to something else in an entirely different building, in the heat and sun to boot. ICK!

atomic99
02-15-2007, 04:01 AM
Hi atomic99,
Since one of the reasons for them staying in San Diego was the facilities of the city they may want to make use of the city and spread some of their events about to other hotels and facilities. Moving the autographs elsewhere and expanding the dealers room upstairs could be a start.

I donít know where Pecto Park is but is it within a few minutes walk of the con centre? If so then perhaps moving some things there, autographs, larger panels etc could be a start.

This might be their best bet. The Gas Lamp and other areas would like the foot traffic and business. I suppose the old Concourse area, located in the heart of downtown rather than on the marina, might be a little far away but they did have the Masquerade there one year in the 1990s and the rest of the con back at the convention center.

Petco Park is across the street from the convention center at the southern end, over the trolley tracks. The biggest demand seems to be the big Hollywood panels in the big room (F?) in the southern ground floor. What if they opened up that space for more dealers (I think the walls retract) and move the Hollywood stuff to Petco? Sounds funny but 30,000+ happy fans could catch the Spider-man 3 panel or whatever live and on the jumbotron or without being shut out. People traffic gets defused from packing the center and spreads out to the ballpark. A Win-Win.

atomic99
02-15-2007, 04:11 AM

True. I did get to check out some of those rooms when a buddy was staying there. They are nice. You can see the tennis courts on the roof of the convention center too. I love that pool between the two Marriott towers. One year I have to stay there. I think the Hyatt is where most of the Pros stay because it is close and they like to hang out in the bar afterhours.

Yeah, parking stinks! Not as bad as SF, eh? I'm just throwing out the cheaper option in case anyone gets shut out of the downtown hotels. By all means, if you can afford it, get as close to the convention center as possible. Especially cosplayers with the extra load they might have to carry.

It's probably a good idea to plan on getting to the con early anyway. I did that on the weekend and found spots in that southern garage. I've usually had pretty good luck with that garage over on 7th just south of the Gaslamp and about five blocks out from the center.

atomic99
02-15-2007, 04:19 AM
There's only so much spreading that can be done, however, before things get inconvenient. Imagine your panel being in one building and then having to go to something else in an entirely different building, in the heat and sun to boot. ICK!

Yeah, moving from one building to another would suck. But it sucked pretty bad last year and we still had the heat. Whatever Comic-Con chooses, it will not make everyone happy and they will have to choose the less-painful option and suffer through the growing pains. To do nothing would be the worst decision.

Are all the rooms in the new upstairs area being used? That seemed to be the least crowded area.

And to briefly go off topic, Dany, are you going to be in the Wonder Con masquerade this year?

Eurobeat King
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I think the Hyatt is where most of the Pros stay because it is close and they like to hang out in the bar afterhours.

The Hyatt is the main hotel for people to hang out at after the exhibit hall closes each night, and it can get quite crowded in the bar area with both convention attendees and the locals.

I liked how back in 2005 you could see the outdoor concert pavillion from the Hatt, where they had the Final Fantasy concert on the first day. I stayed for most of it and then went back to my room, and watched from a distance as the concert let out and all the people were heading back. Good thing I left early..

oh, btw.. please edit your replies so that you don't double or triple-post. Thanks.

Test Type
02-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Petco Park is across the street from the convention center at the southern end, over the trolley tracks. The biggest demand seems to be the big Hollywood panels in the big room (F?) in the southern ground floor. What if they opened up that space for more dealers (I think the walls retract) and move the Hollywood stuff to Petco? Sounds funny but 30,000+ happy fans could catch the Spider-man 3 panel or whatever live and on the jumbotron or without being shut out. People traffic gets defused from packing the center and spreads out to the ballpark. A Win-Win.

OK, I see. Iím not sure if Pecto Park would be suitable. Most of their seating is outdoors and they donít have much large capacity space that is covered. I donít think these Hollywood types like to sweat although they could raise a marquee in Pecto.

I wasnít aware that not all the downstairs halls were being used for dealers. Certainly opening them all up to dealers would ease overcrowding.

Perhaps the Marriotts by Hall A have some meeting rooms that could be used for panels.

Are all the rooms in the new upstairs area being used? That seemed to be the least crowded area.

Iím not sure if all the rooms upstairs are being used but I do think that the Sails Pavilion was used quite poorly.

Dany
02-15-2007, 02:56 PM
And to briefly go off topic, Dany, are you going to be in the Wonder Con masquerade this year?

To answer your question, and sort of tie it to this thread to boot (woo! Effective!), I have every intent to participate in both WonderCon's and ComicCon's masquerades this year with my fiance'. In fact, I think this will be the only two contests that we'll be doing this year, due to making an effort to scale back this year while working on wedding things!

(ok, we're doing the cherry blossom festival in SF too, but that's literally walking distance from our house!)

piwackit
02-17-2007, 07:50 PM
The official hotel for the Con this year is the Marriott, right next door.

The Con is booked with the convention center through 2009 & expanded into every available room both downstairs & upstairs. Even after they opened up Hall H (downstairs holds 6,500) there is still a HUGH line to get in. Ballroom 20 (upstairs holds 4,300) is the second largest room & where the Masquerade is held. And that spills into two overflow rooms to hold all the people who want to see the Masquerade.

If you look at your program guides there are quite a few things going on after the exhibit hall closes upstairs and at the con hotel. Most of the ballrooms at any of the close hotels would be too small to handle the number of people now attending.

Under the Sails will most likely stay the way it is due to a few things:

1: Registration uses this area for badge pick up & on-site purchases. People are then filtered through the Sails area & then into the con from there. If they didn't have this space to do that can you imagine the back up? Yes, Saturday is just the busiest day no matter what.

2: Autographs/Signings/Portfolio Review. This is most likely the only way the fire marshal will allow the number of people in line to stay. I can't imagine signings in a small room. Talk about claustrophobic! This way they don't tie up rooms with people waiting for autographs.

3: Art Show. It used to be in the exhibit hall, but was moved here a few years ago. This could be moved to an actual room.

4: A rest area. Since most of the rest areas in the exhibit hall were reduced or removed last year, this is a much needed space.

The Old Concourse might be a good idea, but then you have to see if it's available to rent. It's a good trek from Harbor Dr. too.
Can't really see Petco Park as of yet. It's open and is usually in use during the summer for baseball games.

One good thing, a new hotel is being built on Harbor, but won't be open until 2008.

(p.s.- off topic but quick: Dany; are your costumes for WC & SDCC the same or two different things?)

gelflinggal
03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
What if this is your first year going? What if you don't know anyone to go with? Are there people safe to room with? lol...seriously...I need a room and roommates!

piwackit
03-05-2007, 03:17 PM
What if this is your first year going? What if you don't know anyone to go with? Are there people safe to room with? lol...seriously...I need a room and roommates!

Your best bet is to post here to find people who are going and who may need to split a room. Make sure to work out the detail a head of time with your roomies for a no stress con. :)

Hotels are just going to be a hassle unless the Con gets a better travel agency and possible registration caps. Make sure to go to the daily feedback sessions to let the Con know what is working & what is not.

Cheers!

gelflinggal
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM

Your best bet is to post here to find people who are going and who may need to split a room. Make sure to work out the detail a head of time with your roomies for a no stress con. :)

Hotels are just going to be a hassle unless the Con gets a better travel agency and possible registration caps. Make sure to go to the daily feedback sessions to let the Con know what is working & what is not.

Cheers!

oh thank you....lol...stress free? con rants, right?? can definately do that...I will watch the boards here for info...

well if anyone doesn't mind rooming with an "old" married woman who plans on wearing costumes...I'm you're gal...I even know how to stay out of the way....

A J
03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Hope this isn't off topic but to anyone thinking of commuting in only for Saturday... you may find you can't get in if you don't have a badge. They ARE capping this year. Last I heard, they hadn't decided on a number but u can bet that not many people hoping to get one-day saturday passes are going to get in.

piwackit
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
You could always start a thread for roomies for SDCC.
29 is not "old". Add 11 years to that for me. ;)

Your in Hemet so your drive is not too bad for the con. See if anyone in your area is going who needs a roomie & may want to share the ride to the con.

Good Luck!

p.s.- your a talented seamstress so keep up the good work!

rednecko
03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
This will be my first year to con. I will post closer to the event that I have space available in a room. I don't want to post in March as looking for roommate because it is still so far away.

piwackit
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
A quick FYI for everyone here & please pass this on:
I was just asked to pass this on for anyone planning on attending this year:
SDCC will officially be LIMITING the number of badges for Saturday. Once they sell out that's it & the badges will be different for Saturday.
Four-day memberships will also be limited. With online purchased available, they have decided that this is the best way to go, since last year was so crowded. Get yours now & pass it on!

rednecko
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
A quick FYI for everyone here & please pass this on:
I was just asked to pass this on for anyone planning on attending this year:
SDCC will officially be LIMITING the number of badges for Saturday. Once they sell out that's it & the badges will be different for Saturday.
Four-day memberships will also be limited. With online purchased available, they have decided that this is the best way to go, since last year was so crowded. Get yours now & pass it on!

How do you know this? There is nothing on SDCC's website on the main page or on the Registration page about this. Do you have a link saying this or a news article? I think this is a good possibility, but I don't think a rumor should be spread through web forums.

gelflinggal
03-13-2007, 09:10 PM
How do you know this? There is nothing on SDCC's website on the main page or on the Registration page about this. Do you have a link saying this or a news article? I think this is a good possibility, but I don't think a rumor should be spread through web forums.

this individual could quite possibly be linked to the convention itself...an "insider"....:bigtu:

gelflinggal
03-13-2007, 09:13 PM
You could always start a thread for roomies for SDCC.
29 is not "old". Add 11 years to that for me. ;)

Your in Hemet so your drive is not too bad for the con. See if anyone in your area is going who needs a roomie & may want to share the ride to the con.

Good Luck!

p.s.- your a talented seamstress so keep up the good work!

Oh thank you!

and yes :D Hemet isn't too bad of a drive but oh my goodness the time I'd have to get up just to drive and find a parking space!! lol...I'll take your suggestion and do just that...:bigtu:

piwackit
03-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I know this because I'm in direct contact with the people who hold director positions for the con. The info. was asked to be passed along so that people would have a fair chance of getting a Saturday badge if they wanted to only go for that day.

As of this moment there is no announcement on the SDCC main page. I'm sure it will be announced soon to avoid a mess like the hotels usually are each year. But in the mean time, please believe me that they will be limiting memberships for this year. AJ even mentioned this in post #68. This is not a rumor. Buy your badges now.

gelflinggal: good luck with the roomie/driving thing. It's going to be a crazy year.

Eurobeat King
03-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Again, stay on-topic and discuss hotel rooms for comic-con. This thread isn't about registration. If you'd like to make a new thread to discuss pre-reg., registration-cap/limit, etc. go right ahead.

I'm constantly checking the comic-con website link for hotels, in-case something does open up. But I seriously doubt that'll happen.. They do have a few smaller hotels that DO have rooms, but these are pretty far away (Mission Valley, SeaWorld, etc.)

haha It's too bad this year I'm not at the Hyatt or closer.. I was planning on bringing my new Initial D car-costume to the con, but that's impossible now that I'm off-site for the hotel. Oh, well.. perhaps in 2008.. :razz:

gelflinggal
03-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Again, stay on-topic and discuss hotel rooms for comic-con. This thread isn't about registration. If you'd like to make a new thread to discuss pre-reg., registration-cap/limit, etc. go right ahead.

I'm constantly checking the comic-con website link for hotels, in-case something does open up. But I seriously doubt that'll happen.. They do have a few smaller hotels that DO have rooms, but these are pretty far away (Mission Valley, SeaWorld, etc.)

haha It's too bad this year I'm not at the Hyatt or closer.. I was planning on bringing my new Initial D car-costume to the con, but that's impossible now that I'm off-site for the hotel. Oh, well.. perhaps in 2008.. :razz:

I think there are a couple at the Handlery at Hotel Circle..however like you said you'd have to drive or take a taxi to get there...
I'm planning on the masquerade myself and the costume is a bit bulky not nearly as others but dang....I feel your pain! You never know something may open up last minute...

piwackit
04-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Good News Everyone!

Travel Planners has more rooms!
You'll need to contact them directly to book, as you cannot do this on the web site.

Courtyard by Marriott San Diego-it's a bit far but good prices.
1 or 2 people / 1 King Bed: $189
3 people / 2 Queen Beds: $209
4 people / 2 Queen Beds: $229

212-532-1660 Ext. 2155

Good Luck!

piwackit
06-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Here's another place for people that are looking for room mates for con
& a petition for a new hotel reservation system.

http://community.livejournal.com/sd_comic_con/
http://www.petitiononline.com/s2007/petition.html

rcstott
06-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Looking for the best room? I am unable to attend Comic-Con this year (work related issue), and I have a room reservation for the Marriot by the Bay (right next door) to the convention center. Dates are Wednesday July 25 (Check-in) to July 29 (Check-out), Contact me if you are interested in taking my reservation. info@animevegas.com

Thanks,

Rich

Eurobeat King
06-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Looking for the best room? I am unable to attend Comic-Con this year (work related issue), and I have a room reservation for the Marriot by the Bay (right next door) to the convention center. Dates are Wednesday July 25 (Check-in) to July 29 (Check-out), Contact me if you are interested in taking my reservation. info@animevegas.com

Thanks,

Rich

I PMed you regarding the possibility of taking your reservation. Please reply back when you can. Thanks!

timelord25
06-22-2007, 02:33 PM
I did the same to your e-mail. (if only to streamline my 2 rooms into one) so please drop me a line either way. (In which case, I'd be more than happy to put my old reservations up for grabs to those interested too.)

manofsteel25@yahoo.com

TheDPQ
06-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Last year i didn't even get the hotel i wanted because while processing they sold out of the room i wanted and by the time i went through the whooooole process again no rooms were left. I just stick with the Westin Hortan now because i always get it as long as i'm on the travel planner site within the first 10 mins (sooooo slow).

It seems like every year its harder and harder to get a room. On a spur of the moment i decided to go to Otakon and i was able to book a room with some people on their forum. The next time i went and i bought my room advance and got a few roomates to fill the space. So very easy.

Comic-Con doesn't have a forum or a place where you can go to to find a roommate. I was thinking of putting together a sort of convention listing site for a few cons i go to with places of interest around and some sort of survival guide articles (cause i certainlly wasn't prepared the first time!).

If i added a room listing section do you think anyone would find it useful?

timelord25
07-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I think a forum or bulletin board design to help people find rooms and roomates for conventions is a splendid idea. I can't beleive comic con doens't have one! I had to do several posts in a lot of places - here, in yahoo groups, on related fan forum threads etc. to find the people I did.

If there was such a central place it would really help ease things - especially until comic COn can help correct/streamline the reservation process.

TheDPQ
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
It may be for legal reasons that they won't just open up a forum but i can't believe they are ignoring the social /geek factor of their site!

I think even if they do get the room situations there will always been room for people looking for room(mate)s living on the cheap. Lots-o-poor college students who don't mind packing into a small room for the sake of saving $$.

The site i have in mind would have a sort of 'portal' for each convention (which would just include otakon, AX, and comic-con since those are the only ones i go to) with a list of things to do, prep articles, and room listings. Both AX and Otakon have forums of their own where this goes on but hey ya never know ^^ I think it might just be fun to try in general.

Semi-more off topic but i saw an interesting article that showed that while comic-con pulls in more people... the city actually makes less money their other conventions because people don't spend as much outside the con. Other conventions are more 'business' and thus people go out, have a nice dinner, and put it on their expense account for the trip. I wonder if thats a factor on why the hotels aren't doing as many deals as they could.

timelord25
07-03-2007, 02:55 PM
I think a site set up like that would be very helpful. Although other big cons like Dragon Con and Wonder Con shouldn't be ignored. And then you could leave a thread open for other local cons in case there's the odd person who needs help with say CONvergence or GallifreyOne or something.

That's an interestng tidbit. i'm not too surprised... seeing as there's so much programming and screenign for people to see that many probably wouldn't bother going out into SD much except maybe to eat. And even then we're geeks, not businessmen with expense accounts so mos tof us ar eon a budget. Oh well I'm sure depite this they're still happy to get the influx that is there.

TheDPQ
07-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I started a new thread (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=117998)so i'm not hijacking this one anymore. Good luck to those still looking for rooms.

Eurobeat King
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks,

Rich

sooooo.. who did you end up giving the room reservation to? I didn't hear back from you, via PM or here. I'm going to keep my current reservation which is cheaper than staying at the closer but really expensive Marriott. :thumbsup:

Tearatone
07-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Okay! I'm freakin' desperate here. Is anyone willing to spare some space in a hotel room? Or even have a space to fill? I can pay whatever for my fair share, I just need a place to stay. Hell, I'll even pack myself into a corner if need be.

I would perfer to get in to a hotel that is walking distance, but I don't mind driving either. So, please, anyone willing to take a fellow cosplayer in?

piwackit
07-08-2007, 12:40 AM
If you go to the SDCC travel planners site right now there is a room
at the
Howard Johnson San Diego/Seaworld
3330 Rosecrans Street
San Diego, CA, 92110
but you have to book online.
Good Luck!

Tearatone
07-08-2007, 01:05 AM
SDCC travel planners site, ummm, okay thanks! But how do I find it?

piwackit
07-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Go here:

TheDPQ
07-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Not on the SDCC site is 500 West

July 25-29
https://www.reservationpage.com/C00000/H00177/pickroom.aspx?pc=&gd=e17e6b8b-67b1-49eb-860c-7e65f0cdc926&lg=1&pk=0&pr=#tab1
So that means if you just need to grab a few days you should be fine since.

BIG FAT WARNING
I stayed here once. Its very very very cheap (right now 99 1 night 89 each other night). However its basically just a room. The bathrooms are SHARED and down the hall. At most you can fit in 2 people and thats with the other person sleep on the floor. It was clean, and a room, but not much else.

However its cheap and open.