PDA

View Full Version : Tripods, do you use one for Cosplay photos?

SolarTempest
11-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Extending from the other thread about lightweight tripods, I am curious about how many photographers use tripods for Cosplay photography. (other photography "types" excluded).

It's a bit of a situation dependent question, but I'd like to hear it!

CosplayerGabi
11-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't use them while I am at a con at this point in time. But if I am staging photos of a prop or some of my own pictures I use it.
My SO takes near lousy pictures. He just doesn't have an eye for it. So if I am taking my own I certainly use a tripod.

ZiggyB
11-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I was planning to use one for this shoot at AX:

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=54446&member=418

since it was going to be a night shoot. But more then anything it sort of got in the way. Since it was so big it was difficult to set up and the amount of control for framing was more limited. And I didn't want to waste time fiddling with the tripod as the cosplayer (Heki) would wait there. So I just didn't and went hand held. Thankfully I have a fast lens and a clean ISO 1600 so the photos still came out fine.

But yah, cosplay wise I don't use the tripod very much. It just takes to long to set up and adjust for that type of setting.

Sipo
11-12-2006, 01:18 AM
I would use a tripod for a photoshoot pre-planned for the convention or at night at the convention. Either way, I'll have it in my room/car, but I agree that it would be a hassle to carry around to take snapshots of cosplayers.

Oklahoma
11-12-2006, 02:36 AM
I only use one durring the masquerade and that is only sometimes. Before I could use it with my longer lens but now that I added a battery grip and a larger lens it overtakes the tripod I have. I found that tripods are EXTREMELY hard to use at cons just due to the space, or lack there of. I always take mine but that doesn't mean that it will be used

staereo
11-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Only in my studio, and I rarely use it as much as I should. (In regards to cosplay/con photography.) I use the 1/focal length in seconds approach to hand holding, and use ISO to compensate.

Bruce

shiroin
11-13-2006, 02:10 AM
if i do ever use a tripod for cosplay photo, it would be for used as a stand for my flash or over 1/20 long exposure night shoots

good tripods are generally very bulky and will dramatically reduce mobility during cons; light tripods are simply not effective on a dslr.

jtnishi
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I haven't ever been able to really justify one since I don't do studio work, and tripods seem to be better suited for landscape work rather than portraiture for outdoors stuff. My preference outdoors has been to go with faster lenses when the light is so low that it's an issue.

I don't normally see a lot of cosplay photographers running around with tripods on too many occasions during conventions either. I suspect that a tripod tends to be more trouble than it's worth for the situation, since it adds a lot of time to setup.

All that said, I do on occasion see a few running around with monopods, and I've definitely been thinking about that path myself.

ZiggyB
11-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I did forget to mention that I will use my tripod when taking a photo of myself, for a cosplay in progress or something. I haven't yet used it for a photoshoot for myself yet, but it would come in handy if I do.

JadeCat
11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
At an actual convention...no. They are hassle to set up and you have to worry about people tripping over it.

If it's a planned shoot, then yes. Plus a quick release plate helps putting the camera on/off the head.

If I think I might need something, I *might* (and that's a big might) bring a monopod w/ me.

But, otherwise, a fast lens, image stabilizer, and high ISO (1600-3200) is what I used.

lestathunt
11-16-2006, 08:52 PM
took a tripod and a monopod to AX 2005... killed a few cosplayers... so i stop taking it to cons... ::evil grins:: draggin it around to masquerade and panels... wasn't a great idea... ;)

Trelyon
11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
took a tripod and a monopod to AX 2005... killed a few cosplayers... so i stop taking it to cons... ::evil grins:: draggin it around to masquerade and panels... wasn't a great idea... ;)

ooooops... that was not lestathunt... that was me... :sunburn: she was still logged in.