PDA

View Full Version : help with scanning and ajsusting photo

mirrorsaber
11-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, I am a total n00b when it comes to taking pictures. And adjusting colors/brightness. Please realize that I still use normal throw aways. I still can't afford a digital camera.

I just realized some of the original pictures I took with a normal camera I compared are relatively dark scans I made. Well, I tried to adjust the brighness to make it exact like the orginal picture but it is still dark and when I make it too bright, it just goes away or is too faded. Any help?

Oh, and I had to use photofiltre to adjust it, I don't have photoshop.

Winter Divinity
11-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Have you tried adjusting the contrast as well? You don't want to adjust the brightness too much w/out also playing with the contrast, otherwise it will look washed out. I'm not expert on this, I usually only used photoshop, so sorry if I'm no help. Do you have any examples of a photo you're trying to lighten?

And also, technology is rapiding expanding so it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a digital camera. All the money you invest in the disposable cameras and developing of the pictures will add up to the same amount as a decent digital camera nowadays. So in no time you'll have your own digi cam, just my two cents!

mirrorsaber
11-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Here is one of the photos I am trying to adjust.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=914492

edit- Just realized I spelled the title wrong.

staereo
11-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Your scanner settings need to be adjusted. O.O

What type of scanner do you have?

jtnishi
11-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Here is one of the photos I am trying to adjust.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=914492

edit- Just realized I spelled the title wrong.
I'll note that for this one, the issue looks to be contrast & saturation. Boost those a bit, and it should help. Adjust the settings either in the scanner setting, or in your software. That said, knowing that this came from a film shot, don't boost them too much, otherwise it might look unnatural. Contrast probably could use more of a boost than saturation here.

mirrorsaber
11-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Your scanner settings need to be adjusted. O.O

What type of scanner do you have?

Hewlett Packard and I have no idea how to adjust the program. Its been awhile since I adjusted it.

CosplayerGabi
11-20-2006, 03:55 PM
I can't see the picture anymore but I'll offer some advice. Also try playing with something called Levels. It changes the brightness of the dark, midtone, and light parts of an image independently. It also doesn't mess with other things too much otherwise so you don't end up with something unnatural.

Also try GIMP for Windows it is a good, free alternative to Photoshop. In a lot of ways it works the same as PS

howzitboy
11-23-2006, 04:38 AM
quicker way is bring the negatives to a digital lab and have them scan it and burn it to cd. i doubt would cost that much and you would get a better scan. if u only got a picture u wanna get scanned, u can also borrow someones digital camera and take a picture of it. thats the quicky cheap way .