PDA

View Full Version : What is Visual Kei, to you?

Yui
03-25-2003, 07:44 PM
This is firstly a thread for domestik & soshi's benefit (though, anyone who is an informed fan of vizkei is more than welcome to share your thoughts here as well.) So we can all define what constitutes "visual kei" without it interfering with the actual j-rock cosplay group planning business (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8812). Because I think it's very interesting and worthwhile to discuss, in lieu mostly of Duel Jewel's next ACen appearance (& how they are being billed) and the appropriateness of Silver Ash to be on the Otakon j-rock panel -- as well as issues such as the "lumping" of all Asian music together, the divison line (if any) of the genres in Japan, the importance of personal visuals v.s. universal metaphors, creativity v.s. purposeful cliche, etc. etc. That's enough prompts. Basically, why are we fans of it, especially since we are not really part of that culture? What does VK do, for us?

Side note...some thoughts were slightly brought up elsewhere regarding this, but I felt that we really needed to break this off from that other thread, simply labeled "J-Rock" because we can't cover all that massive ground at once. (Also, that particular thread was the very reason I cringed when we were forced to start posting j-rock non-costuming talk here in this music forum...I just knew it would disingrate into this. People get very territorial about their music boundaries, even if they are trying to polite. O_o) If someone wants to come on and just bash around VK or j-rock in general, I can't stop you, but we will ignore you. The intention of this thread is that those of us who do j-rock cosplay can better understand each other's vocabulary and better appreciate each other's thoughts. Please respect the purpose of the post. This is not a pro/anti VK debate...it is an exploration of the term only. Thanx.

domestik
03-25-2003, 10:22 PM
*amused* Hey, soshi! A thread for our benefit! I'm so PROUD! XD

Anyway, back on topic track....

So yes. soshi and I were discussing the generalizations of viskei bands; how other Asian visual bands are placed into a genre of style that is Japanese based. But when other foreign bands (i.e. American, British, et cetera) are concerned, most people disregard their visual factors--thus not considering them in the "viskei" category.

I don't have any further input at the moment, so I'm going to slink off now and wait for others to start replying so that I have something to reply back with.

Righty-o then.

Yui
03-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Hey, you guys deserve it.

& I know....soshi is resting up to post something big and dissettling for sure. I feel like I should start pasting in old threads ^_-