PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating making an Organization XIII cosplay... Advice appreciated.

Lynx Dragunhart
11-18-2006, 05:42 PM
As stated in the title, I am contemplating the creation of an organization costume for myself. I'm in desperate need, though, of some good reference materials and some advice. I was thinking of pleather, but someone told me it would be really hot and that it's hard to work with. If that is incorrect or if there is something that is less expensive and/or warm... Something that can pull off the look needed... Please feel free to let me know ^_^! And, if you have any suggestions of your own or if you have any experience, then please feel free to share your wisdom. Thank you so very much ^_^!

~Lynx D.

UchihaJyounochi
11-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Well, just this past summer I had the pleasure of making about 5 or 6 Org cloaks. This was my first experience working with Vinyl, and overall it wasn't that bad. I'm actually glad for these projects, because they were a fairly easy first step into vinyl. I have some good concept art pictures for most of the org members, so if theres anyone in specific you're planning to do, lemme know.

I've looked at a lot of Org cloaks for reference and comparrison, and I personally think that Vinyl or some for of faux leather is the best look. I'm not gonna lie, they can get REAL hot. But we wore ours all day Friday of Otakon, and managed to survive.

Basically I took the Matrix Trench pattern, modified it a bit (mostly around the waist to be more form fitting). Make sure you get several nice heavy duty needles for your machine, and some stronger thread. I went through multiple heavy needles over the course of those cloaks.

I guess thats the very basics. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. You can check out how the cloaks turned out in my gallery.

Cora
11-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I advise you to skim through this thread:

Orgy XIII Coats (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=85190)

It was pushed off the front page, but has a lot of discussions on the coat itself, it should be helpful to you ^^;; Also check the Kingdom Hearts Resource and Tutorials thread that should be on the front page here still as well.

I personally used pleather, and will be using pleather again for a remake. Pleather can be pricey, so it depends on your price range. I've seen good costumes done with vinyl, but I personally won't touch the stuff unless absolutely necessary...I think it's harder to work with than pleather, actually, and is also harder on your machine. If you use pleather, make sure you get a pack of leather needles (I only needed one, luckily, and I was working with thick stuff). They are fairly cheap at JoAnns or Hancocks or your local fabric/craft store.

Lynx Dragunhart
11-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Thank you both very much ^_^. I will certainly begin to delve into the secrets of the ancients within the Orgy thread and plether is sounding like the way to go the more I look at it. BtW, does anyone, perhaps, have a rough estimate on how much pleather costs? Or does it vary from retailer to retailer?

~Lynx D.