PDA

View Full Version : What do cosplayers want to buy?

StacyMichelle
03-26-2003, 09:04 PM
I would like to create accessories for cosplayers, but I'm not sure what everyone needs or is looking for.

Do people still buy Chii ears? I am also currently making Yuna's earrings as well. Inu Yasha accessories seem to be pretty popular on eBay. What else could I make? Is there anything in high demand?

Any requests? :D

Michi
03-26-2003, 10:51 PM
I think everything you listed would be useful. ^^; Stuff like Chii ears, Yuna earrings, Lulu jewelry, Inuyasha necklaces, Eva hairclips, Utena rings? I'm sure business would be good. o_o;

StacyMichelle
03-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Lulu jewelry and Eva hairclips are great ideas, thanks! I need to raise money so that I can go to Anime Expo this summer :D

Rosieal
03-27-2003, 01:51 AM
You might also like to consider accesories from Final Fantasy X-2 as they are increasingly getting popular. I hope you are able to raise that money so you can go to Anime Expo. ^_^

alechan
03-27-2003, 09:16 AM
I have a cosplay club here in mexico and I already sell accesories
I sold a lot of sailors moon earrings necklaces ,sakuraīs magic key
eva ears,etc if you want more info just contac me

yayahan
03-27-2003, 09:27 AM
I still get quite a bit of Chii ears orders, and they're starting to come from across the sea as well. You'll do well with those and especially Lulu's hairpins. ^_^ Good luck, lady!

StacyMichelle
03-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Ghost - Oh, really good idea!! Thank you so much!!

Thanks Yaya! ^.^

Well, ah gots ma sculpy and ma paints... think I'm ready to go! Thanks for the advice guys, I hope it keeps on coming! I'm always open to more suggestions!

cube
03-27-2003, 05:22 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm raining in on anyone's parade but after surfing ebay and looking at the prices of cosplay costumes I don't think there's that much money to be made in this type of business. However, I've noticed that cosplay accessories tend to command a more decent price relative to the amount of labour required to produce them compared to full blown outfits. So maybe you're on the right track? who knows? good luck!

hikura
03-27-2003, 06:00 PM
I wish i had the problem of selling stuff.I tried to sell a few cosplay releated items with no luck.They were FFX-2 and eva releated items.Not one sold.They were of an excellent quality and i even had pics.I was kinda surpised they didn't sell.My price was very cheap too.The starting prices on everything was 5(or less) dollars.Oh well.It was just my luck maybe you can do better then i did.Do not let my disappointment bring you down.Just saying sometimes things do not sell.

Mink
03-28-2003, 03:50 PM
Yeah with ebay it really is what my mother calls a "crap shoot". I just put a Miaka costume up and it went like a hot cake. Who knew? But theres a Kagome costume up right now and last time I checked it was going for less than $20. Its just luck of the draw, but I wish you the best of luck. What a great way to raise money!

sakura yuna
03-29-2003, 12:13 AM
Hey StacyMichelle,
Ummm....let's see stuff you could make? here's what I got!

-Bracelets (Like Red XIII's or yuna's)
-yuna's hairpiece
-yuna's hair tail thingie from X-2
-sailor scout/moon earrings or tiara's
-chii ears and hair thingies
- fuu's and Umi's headband(Magic Rayearth Knights)
-wings( for say a person who wanted to do a halloween town sora?)
-sora's necklace(Kingdom Hearts)
-Garnet's Necklace(FF9)

Ahhhh...gomenasai StacyMichelle but I think that's all I got right now...hmmmm....if you make any of these I might consider buying something...the next time I get paid....but anyways...hope your business goes well!

Jinx
03-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Are you also going to offer custom orders? 'Cause I'm thinking MKR armor (for any stage) is a great idea, but I'm sure it won't be requested often.

Also, any CCS accessories? (If any, I'm not keen on watching it o.o;)

Mekou
03-29-2003, 11:54 PM
I'm also thinking of starting a small buisness like that. (cosplay accesories) But I'm waiting until I have a few things already made. As of yet I only have experience making Miaka's necklace and a couple of the millenium items from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Good luck to you! I hope you get to Anime Expo.

Koumori
03-30-2003, 07:28 AM
What kind of accessories were you planning to make? Your individual skillset should probably influence your offerings more than just general demand.. were you thinking of just jewelry or other Sculpy-type items, or do you also have metal/plastic/woodworking skills you can also offer?

Yui
04-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I'm a sculpter myself -- Elasticlay and Celluclay mostly -- but I seem to have more difficulty on simplier items than the complex organic ones. Maybe because symmetry confuses me...
But my basic problem is that due to my choice of obscure cosplays, I have to make everything myself or else request a custom job (which I probably wouldn't be able to afford) because no one would think to make anything I would need just on their own. For example, I think I'd like to make Krelian's circlet (as in my sig below) actually out of metal, to be a nice piece of jewelry that would be lightweight and hold up, but I don't really know how to go about it myself. Yet, anyway. It's just so personally annoying when you can sew and paint and wig-style and wood-work, but there's always some aspect you need to ask for help on still. ^_-*

Reiko
04-02-2003, 02:18 PM
us cosplayers need shoes.... or things to make shoes ... that the hardest part of the costume...I think

yuffieleonheart
04-08-2003, 05:58 PM
ff accesories are really good ^^ i have quite a few people ask me to make yuna earrings lol ^^ but yeah ccs, inuyasha are good too ^.^

Toka_pop
04-09-2003, 01:57 PM
I agree with Reiko's shoe idea. Often times characters wear shoes with details that can be hard to for the average, just-learning-how-to-sew person to make. It might be profitable to go into some sort of business like that (especially since I haven't seen anyone who specializes in shoes yet, so you could corner the market ^.^). But generally, I think any sort of accessory-type item from series that are consistantly popular with cosplayers will sell well.

MordSith
04-11-2003, 01:20 AM
i have reeaaallllly yet to see a good necklace for garnet. i mean, i'm a perfectionist, but that crystal is NOT 2 inches wide, the size of a suncatcher. i think it's the width of your hand. space invader is molding mine, and i'm confident it'll turn out well, but every other one i see which is basically people selling suncatchers ... just don't cut it.

Lillyxandra
04-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Yes, Chii ears are hot in demand right now! Also you might want to think about offering styled wigs, Iím sure those would be a great seller. Good luck!

yuffieleonheart
04-11-2003, 07:51 PM
yes garnet necklaces *.* *i really want one* btw lillyxandra i love your avator *0*

StacyMichelle
04-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys! Keep it coming! I am making a Yuna earring, Lulu's necklaces, and I will see what I can do about a necklace for Garnet. I also plan to make Ren's earring beads and more FFX-2 things... and much more. Once I make one of these items, they can all be ordered and I'll just make more.

If anyone would like an early commission, I'm open for anything!!

Thanks again guys, really!! I'm so glad you are helping me! :)

Angel Rinoa
04-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Hello,

I am making Yuna/Lenne (Ren) Singer outfit and I need both earrings of Yuna and Lenne...
And the necklace of Yuna...
And of Rinoa for a cosplay but Rinoa one you can make when you want coz now all I need is that ones :P Thanks

Reiko
04-13-2003, 02:32 PM
lol okay for the earrings...use that neckless candy sorry OT

Kusanagi
04-14-2003, 12:38 AM
If you are making large scale props, then Keyblades and Gunblades are the "in" thing right now...

positivespace
04-14-2003, 02:40 AM
If you really want a challenge that could also lead to sales outside of the cosplay community... you could try recreating the beltpurses that Rikku and Yuna wear in X-2.

I bought one at Japantown a while back for about $40 (imported from Japan, pleather) and I get nothing but compliments whenever I wear it out. I figure, if you make the ones Rikku and Yuna wear well enough you'll get some other fashionistas into it. I think Gucci came out with one that was shown on Sex and the City that went for $300.

Here's a pic of the one I bought...
http://www.freeq.org/cheryll/images/beltpurse.jpg

projectanime
04-14-2003, 03:09 PM
Chii ears are pretty popular right now *heck i want a pair* I think also Hitomi's necklace from Escaflowne. You don't often find high quality necklaces like that. I'm also thinking stuff from Fushugi Yugi, like Miaka's hair accessories or Nuriko's stuff. Cat ears are also pretty good. *I'm looking for a pair as well* Especially white cat ears *which is what I'm looking for* Oh! And definately wigs! I was once considering to do a certain costume, but then didn't because I didn't want to go to the trouble of styling a wig.

Katse
04-15-2003, 02:32 AM
Good accessories are always hard to come by--shoes, jewelry, hats--it's the intricate little details that always bother me the most, and it's usually the most important part of the costume!

If I were to choose something I never ever see, that would be good helmets/masks. It's not difficult to make a generic fitting resin or foam latex mask, but no one either knows how to do it, or wants to do it. If I see another papier mache/balloon molded helmet, I might burst! I guess I'll have to start up a mask making shop. Thoughts anyone?

Katse

Chas
04-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by ling_xiaoyu
-sora's necklace(Kingdom Hearts)

*SQUEAK* I could use one 'a those.... :x

Kawaii Yuna
05-08-2003, 12:59 PM
When will your cosplay commission site open? Can you post it here when it does? Thankies! ^_^

Jess-Jess
05-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I know one thing that you could make that no one has sugested, Inu Yasha items, there are a lot of items to be made from that anime. Some of them are prety complex though, but if you are good at that, that's great^.^ Sango's huge boomerang thing would be a nice item to sell, or Miroku's staff, etc... Also, Di Gi Charat merch. even though you can buy official stuff it tends to be really expensive (i know -.-) So if you could offer something like Digiko's hat, or bells, or her purse from panyo panyo, that might be a fun idea. Well, hope I helped :)

Jessie >^..^<

Akutenshi
05-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Hmm...well, weapons and armor are always in demand. You could also look into making creature-props...such as:

Ashton Anchor's Dragons from Star Ocean
Sarasa's owl from legend of Basara
That dog from Kare Kano
The mouse from Utena (gha, forgot his name >.<)
Hakkai's Dragon from Saiyuki
Nall from Lunar

Stuffs or pluses are hard though. You could always look into making goggles or headpieces, I for one wish i could find someone who could make a good headpiece for karla from lodoss war.

Custom Gloves (oversized ones like janice from chrono cross or wendy from digi charat fantasy) are really hard to come by and/or are expensive. They're also like bootcovers...very hard to make...

Custom hats are a good idea too, like for the characters of digi charat or Mimi from digimon..

Blarg...if today wasn't friday then I'd have a lot more ideas. Hope those help tho!

*Jibrielle*
09-04-2003, 08:53 PM
you should sell staffs like the FFX-2 staffs

Kell_Dragon
09-04-2003, 09:10 PM
I don't think there is one generalized thing you could sell that everybody would be in high demand for. Maybe ears, I'd like to see somebody make a nice pair of silicone or foam latex anime elven ears. But that isn't happening any time soon.
Become an optomitrist and learn how to make custom contacts ^_~
If I had the 30 grand to spend, I just might do that myself.

Kell_Dragon
09-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I'm a sculpter myself -- Elasticlay and Celluclay mostly -- but I seem to have more difficulty on simplier items than the complex organic ones. Maybe because symmetry confuses me...

I don't mean to insult you but most organic is fairly simply, I'm looking through your gallery and not seeing anything "difficult" or "complex" things... I'm still a newbie when it comes to sculpting (self taught myself a year ago)
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=77411&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1 there's a pic of my latest work (that's about 3 hours of work), what do you think? just curious...
btw, have you ever worked with WED clay?

Kell

nintendoduck
05-21-2004, 08:14 PM
[Hey I was wondering if you could make me a millenium ring? I'd definetly pay a hefty price.!.!!

moonrabitt
05-21-2004, 09:43 PM
I don't think I have ever seen any DRAGON BALLS, than again I am new, or a good CCS staff, But I think you'd make more money making a COSTUME than accesries, Like A Tenchi Muyo Ryoki costume (the cabbit), how much would that sell for? ^-^

chibi_kitsune
05-21-2004, 10:24 PM
I would like to create accessories for cosplayers, but I'm not sure what everyone needs or is looking for.

Do people still buy Chii ears? I am also currently making Yuna's earrings as well. Inu Yasha accessories seem to be pretty popular on eBay. What else could I make? Is there anything in high demand?

Any requests? :D

Right now I need a few wigs and shoe/boots(but i'm not sure you could make that) and leather gloves.

Bamph
05-22-2004, 06:53 AM
[Hey I was wondering if you could make me a millenium ring? I'd definetly pay a hefty price.!.!!

A Millenium ring? Show me a picture of it and I'll see about spittin it out. Making all this Naruto stuff is getting to me. I need a new project.

chibi_kitsune
05-22-2004, 11:36 AM
I also need a few other stuff thats leather for my costume i'm making.

Katachi
05-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Most of the stuff you've listed for accessories have been made by people and sold on ebay since November. Stuff like Final Fantasy necklaces and accessories are abundant on Ebay now and just don't sell anymore.

Making props/weapons/armour is also a very difficult business to get into, and I know this from research and experience with other people who have had cosplay prop commission businesses. The problem is that you end up losing 100 and working for under 2 bucks an hour for every prop you make. I'm working on a Gunblade myself, but it's going to be 300+ hours of my time and at least $200 of my own money to make a good one. There was a PERFECT Gunblade on Ebay last week starting at $400 and it didn't sell because people just don't want to pay that much for props. Keyblades sold well in Jan-Feb, for $200-300, but just aren't selling at all now. Yeah there's a lot of things that are popular or "in" right now, but if you ask those people how much they'd pay for the prop, more often than not they'll say under $100.

Cosplayers want good props but don't want to pay for the work that goes into them. I have a friend at www.fantasyprops.com who said he once had a guy who wanted full elven armour from one of the LOTR movies, but didn't want to pay more than $200 for it. >_< And that would have been months and months of work to make!

Your best bet is to find accessories you can sculpt, make molds of, and then mass produce to cover your costs.

If you're gonna make a business out of this, you should first know something about business, the cosplay industry, and be able to project future cosplay trends so you're not making a ton of stuff for costumes that people dont' do anymore.

Best of luck to you!

Xanthix
05-24-2004, 04:10 PM
I agree that I don't know if there's any money in cosplay-crafting. We all just want so much but we're broke so we can't pay what good prices for anything! :)

But other potentially big sellers are Trigun props (Vash's glasses, everyone's guns) and Naruto props (weapons, headbands, pouches). Custome hats and boots/boot covers are great generic items to sell, and shouldn't be too much work.

Katachi
05-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Trigun and Hellsing glasses are abundant on Ebay already. Naruto props are pretty easy to come by on Ebay also...

Now hats, that's not a bad idea. Bakuretsu Tenshi and Gungrave hats would probably sell very well. I know I need a Gungrave one for my costume :P

And as for the Trigun guns, well there's gonna be mine:
http://webpages.charter.net/katachi/p_trigun.htm

The rest I'm not doing, but if anyone wants a great project, sculpt a Cross Punisher that comes apart into 5 parts for transporting, make a mold of it and cast it as a 5 hollow resin pieces.

I agree that I don't know if there's any money in cosplay-crafting. We all just want so much but we're broke so we can't pay what good prices for anything! :)

But other potentially big sellers are Trigun props (Vash's glasses, everyone's guns) and Naruto props (weapons, headbands, pouches). Custome hats and boots/boot covers are great generic items to sell, and shouldn't be too much work.

red-Otaku
05-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Don't know if it's mentioned but I would LOVE to see a lightweight slim con-legal katana/wakazashi combo. Like thin foam with fiberglass and a scabbard that everything will fit into/out of. I have having to rig my real katana's to be legal at cons. such a hassle to do/undo

xie-chan
05-25-2004, 12:34 PM
I know I'd buy Nuriko bracelets or gauntlets... but I probably wouldn't buy them off e-bay unless there was buy now. I hate idiots who drive auctions up. ;.; (Can ya tell I've been losing auctions recently).

Seriously, you'll get more repeat business if you set up a real site.

But Rose Seal rings from Utena if made well, would definitely sell well. Inu Yasha stuff would go well. Any rare little trinket that is hard to come by would probably sell. Maybe set up a commission site.

Also, cosplayers will always buy styled wigs or if you can offer good shoes. If you're selling wigs though and you're not a wig dealer, you almost have to style them.

(And as to costumes making more money than props. Sure they sell for more, but there are more hours required and more money is spent on materials so profit may be a bit more, but not enough to make a difference)

Mina DeSade
05-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Xie-Chan is right, Utena rings could be pretty sucessful. Utena props seem to do pretty well, actually. I think if someone made the sword of dios, and it was decent looking, it would go over well.
I think SailorMoon talisman type props might be worth the effort as well. I've heard many a Neptune cosplayer complain about trying to find her aqua mirror-and that wouldn't be too hard.

Good luck