PDA

View Full Version : AMA weapons policy?

XoPinkuSpiderxo
11-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi! Me and two friends are going as Blossom Bubbles and Buttercup from Demashtaa! Powerpuf girls Z. I was wondering if anyone knew AMA's weapons policy as Bubbles carries a tall staff and Buttercup carries a giant hammer. Any info would be appreciated!

Example:
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/sossmp/Powerpuff%20Girls%20Z/?action=view&current=ppgz0701.jpg

EDIT: unfortunately we cant do this costume anymore but this thread could still be useful to other people bringing weapons.

Lumasnati
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
They let a friend of mine in last year with a HUGE key thing from some game. I think they'll let a giant hammer in. ^^;;

Rave-Ninja
11-25-2006, 08:18 PM
They also let in the entire or rather most of OrgXIII with their weapons. But your best bet would be to e-mail the convention staff and ask them the question.

samt03
12-03-2006, 04:02 PM
AMA did not let Gojyo carry his weapon thingy cause it had a 4 inch metal bracket connecting the cresent peice to the staff. They also would not let Goku carry his weapon cause it was a metel rod for the base. (both from Saiyuki) The guy who checked the weapon for Gojyo also scratched paint off the woden part to be sure it was wood (just checked video). I don't know if they just targeted our group or what.

Tikki
12-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Heyo! Head of AMA's Cosplay department here.

The specific staff to inquire would be Security and you can find their contact info on the convention website. They do all the final checks and peace-bonding at the convention for all props.
If you're thinking about competition and bringing it on stage, I personally have no issue with most weapon props as long as you follow simple guidelines:
1) NO LIVE STEEL OR EDGED BLADES!
2) Be careful how you carry your prop. No breaking of stage or equipment, or you'll pay for it. And it is expensive...
3) Anything vaguely gun-like that is frowned upon by Security can be used on stage and only on stage. Tuck it away after that. Sorry, save picture time for later and away from said Security staff or they'll get mad at you. The state of Virginia has an EXTREMELY strict shadow gun law that allows any police officer to shoot first, then ask questions. Hence, most prop guns aren't usually allowed at any Virginia cons... :( Always check with Security if you aren't sure.

Remember, peace-bonding is usually a tag or bright zip-tie that allows any other staffer to know that you have taken your item to Security and it has been approved for the weekend. Do not swing your prop around or mock-battle with someone else during the convention. You'll get Security on you rather quickly and trust me, you don't want to waste time arguing with staff when you can be smart with your prop and enjoy the con instead.

I hope this helps!

Wakusei
03-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Just to add to the "rule" madness...
Last year they not only peace-bonded my tennis racquet, but also made me check it in at security for holding on the sunday of the con.
Security got much more strict as the con went on because of complaints over props. That and...
Richmond has a curfue!
That's right, kids. Unless you are over 18 you'll be asked back to the hotel after a certain time at night.

Atleast that's my experience from 2006.
I'm not out to scare you. I'm just giving everyone the head's up just in case that curfue thing bites us in the butt.

Kaoshima
03-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the *curfew* really sucks but it's not like anyone can do anything about it, so there's no point in complaining excessively about it. /sigh And yeah, Virginia law is uber strict about guns, and if you lived anywhere near Richmond, you'd know why... ^.^;

XoPinkuSpiderxo
03-16-2007, 06:27 PM
We know exactly why *stands on the side of Jeff Davis**gets shot accidentaly in a drug deal gone wrong*

Kaoshima
03-16-2007, 06:32 PM
^ Exactly.

(heheh... deep voice: "Headshot!" lol)

Malaki
03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I guess you guys weren't around for the dance saturday night? They lifted the curfew that night.

And yeah, con security sucked ass...I was Pyramid Head and they made me put a shirt on.

I walked around without a shirt on all day...then they decided to make me put it on around 11 at night...-_-;

Kaoshima
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Actually I was, I just figured they'd let you in if youe were with a relative who was over 18 (which I was) so I never really noticed, but thinking about it now, it makes sense...

bamboocactus
04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Last year I remember security was extremely moody and power-drunk. For the rave, they moved the line all over the darn place just because they could, and then if there was anything shiny on your body or anything that dangled so much as an inch away, you had to go back to the hotel and remove all of it. I think they just wanted everyone there in skin tight spandex bodysuits or something... I hate those guys.

Lumasnati
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I have a question...

I am making a costume currently... that has... well.. a really long tail with it. Will I get stopped.. Time and time again for having it? I mean... If security went insane over everything last year... How are they gonna react to a 3 ft tail?

bamboocactus
04-02-2007, 08:15 PM
If it's dragging behind you then it'll be a problem. you'll probably want to carry it or have someone else carry it (like a train). I only say this because I know that if I'm wearing shoes with laces and they become untied, invariably someone steps on those and trips me up... and those are only a few inches of string!

Lumasnati
04-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Well.. While I walk, it'll probably be over my shoulder... but I mean... the tail is fricking long... Almost 3 ft in length.

Tikki
04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Well.. While I walk, it'll probably be over my shoulder... but I mean... the tail is fricking long... Almost 3 ft in length.

Honestly, if Security has a problem with that, then I'll have a chat with 'em. Cause that would be ridiculous...

And yes, for some reason, the rave had some obnoxious rules last year. I think they were trying to avoid dangly bits to keep folks from swinging things around and hitting other people. I agree that they went overboard (made a friend of mine take off his demon wings for his costume!!), but alas, that's not my department so I have no pull with it. I think some things were chaotic with Security as it was our FIRST time in that convention center. I'm hoping that department has a better idea what to expect and how to form the lines better so there's less confusion.
Just check the rules in the program guide before the rave so you know exactly what to expect.
Tikki

Lumasnati
04-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Well. We had a problem with Security last year with a simple backpack.

Last year, I brought my laptop with me and I even checked with the head of security since I didn't want to leave my Laptop unattended at the Dealer's Door. There is no way in hell. But unfortunately, I was forced to leave it unattended because the loser at the door wouldn't let me in with it. T-T

samt03
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I know last year, at the Loveless gathering we ASKED before we moved couches and where told as long as we put them back it would be fine. We didn't touch anything until we had the OK from security to move them. Several minutes into it they start yelling at us that we moved them and needed to put them back immediately. The security guy that was yelling at refused to believe we had asked first while the one that OKed it said nothing (he was next to/near the guy too).

My question, most likely I will have a violin on me (for Hijiri) will that be allowed in the dealers room or am I going to have to run to my room anytime I want to go in there? (there’s now way I’m leaving a several $100 instrument that’s not even mine alone.) It will be carried in it’s case, so would that be an issue too?

bamboocactus
04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it seems there's a lot of issues with security OKing something then coming back ten minutes later and screaming their heads off for it. What a bunch of w@nkers... since there's so many people who've had this problem seemingly, it's probably worth while to point this thread out to the chair so they can make certain that their paying attendees aren't subject to the abuse of disgruntled and power-tripping teenagers again. >_>

samt03: I doubt they'd have a problem with that. It's a prop, and I don't think they'll be selling violins in the dealer's room. I believe what they have a problem with is bags or something, I don't quite remember...

Lumasnati
04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
They have a problem with anything that can be used to transport things out of the dealers' room. Did anyone notice that NONE of the dealers offered bags for their products? They couldn't. They were too damn worried about someone stealing someone off them.

They need to have faith in their patrons that theivery won't... or possibly won't happen... Anime USA is a little bigger than them and they don't have this problem as much.... I understand that they were in a small space, but even then...

Tikki
04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I'll try to bring this up at the next meeting. I don't see why props have to be left behind, but I'd ask with security and plan ahead to leave it friends or back in the hotel room.
*shakes head* I didn't know it was this ridiculous...
Tikki

fatalinjection
04-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Last year when I went to the dealer's room, they made me leave my ama bag (the plastic ones they gave out with registration) outside, but let me take my purse, which actually was a bit bigger & had more storage in it inside...made absolutely no sense.

bamboocactus
04-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Aw Tikki, I feel badly for you! Here a weapons policy query turned into a "Rawr AMA security sux!" thread and you're actually going to listen to a bunch of cosplayers moan and whine about it and try to help! You're pretty nice :)

fatalinjection: It seems like no matter where you go, even if no bags are allowed, it doesn't count for purses. I was just at a museum yesterday where old ladies where carrying around handbags as big as suitcases, yet I wasn't allowed a small backpack to hold my notebook. Psh.

Tikki
04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Aw Tikki, I feel badly for you! Here a weapons policy query turned into a "Rawr AMA security sux!" thread and you're actually going to listen to a bunch of cosplayers moan and whine about it and try to help! You're pretty nice :)

Sometimes! I've been with AMA since its first year, so I've got a little influence with the other department heads. At the very least, they'll take time to listen to me.
I'm actually quite spoiled when it comes to cons and a lot of these issues. Being on staff and knowing a lot of staffers that work multiple cons gets me into dealer's rooms without fuss, bag or no bag. And since my boyfriend deejays a dance set at alot of VA cons... I'm not held up there either.
But I know that there's been security staff issues for a few years at not just AMA, but Katsu and Neko. Just a lot of power-tripping and guys that don't know when to step up for their own mistakes when dealing with con attendees gets stressful. Sometimes it's the attendee doing something stupid and sometimes it's a staffer being an ass. Goes both ways... but to have examples of really stupid crap happening at past cons is a good way to bring up changes (or at the very least, better awareness) with upcoming events.
But to make it very clear to anyone reading the thread, there's a huuuge difference between what is allowed on stage and what's allowed in the hallways. I have precident in Main Events over prop weapons and the rules are listed on the website. You've gotta be totally ignoring the rules (or just plain dense) to have me fuss at your prop for the stage. And the only staff that can supercede me in there is the Tech Crew. If they feel your prop is a danger to their equipment, they'll step in. And that's pretty darn hard to do... though I have seen expensive stuff wrecked on stage. Hence NO live steel... seriously, it's common sense.
Outside of Main Events, all attendees have to follow the guidelines made by Security. Yes, sometimes they are really oddball and extreme rules, but usually there's a reason. Unfortunately, some staffers can take their role a bit too seriously and that's when we get confusion and all those weird things happening that you all have complained about so far.
So I'll TRY to be a voice for you guys. No promises though... *laughs*
Tikki

bamboocactus
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Yay Tikki! By the way, if your boyfriend could bind and gag Ayres and stick him in a closet for the duration of the rave, that'd be super :bigtu:

fatalinjection
04-05-2007, 01:22 PM

fatalinjection: It seems like no matter where you go, even if no bags are allowed, it doesn't count for purses. I was just at a museum yesterday where old ladies where carrying around handbags as big as suitcases, yet I wasn't allowed a small backpack to hold my notebook. Psh.

Yeah, it really makes no sense :\ I guess they figured old ladies aren't going to steal anything, lol.

Lumasnati
04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Thank you very much, Tiki. <3

Thanks for [HOPEFULLY] being our voices to the staff of AMA.

Tikki
04-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Yay Tikki! By the way, if your boyfriend could bind and gag Ayres and stick him in a closet for the duration of the rave, that'd be super :bigtu:

Aww... Probably not gonna happen. Rob's too much of a buddy with Greg... and actually likes a lot of Greg's choices. Not all, but as they (being Rob, Greg and Andrew) usually do individual sets within the same dance, they have different tastes in music selections. Rob's usually on last. Honestly, Greg can get on the voice converter mic a bit much, but I've never been one to be too picky about music. Give me a good beat and I'm happy. But slip in some good old Final Fantasy remixes, Ghost in the Shell and oodles of other dance-worthy anime tracks, and I love it.

Unfortunately, a lot of what Andrew and Rob play are real anime songs and remixes but aren't all that identifiable. There's just too much to know everything... anyway, waaaaay off topic!

Weapons, folks! Any more questions about props & weapons that hasn't been asked?
Tikki

ps. The AMA website's email address for cosplay contact is something that's forwarded on to me. It's new and I'm not sure how reliable it is... so anyone can PM me directly on here if you don't get any answers via the listed email address.