PDA

View Full Version : The SARS outbreak in Toronto

ducky_feet
03-26-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure if this thread belongs here, so if it needs to be moved then be my guest. ^___^

Is the recent SARS outbreak in Toronto affecting anyone's plans to attend AN? This affects out-of-towners more but I was wondering nonetheless. I am/was planning to go to AN with my cousin, but my parents are worried about the outbreak and might not let me go anymore. Health officials are saying that the public shouldn't panic, yet they've declared the situation a health emergency. Anyone else rethinking their plans to go?

MikigamiTokiya
03-26-2003, 11:07 PM
what is SARS? never heard of it but yeah can't really stop me from a con heh ^^;; we've got alot of time too though so it shouldn't effect anything

XLainoftheWired
03-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Sudden Acute Respiratory Suckiness or something, I read in the paper that it is really some insane futation of the cold virus. Still dangerous but as long as you get immediate care, you shouldnt consider it death on earth.

ducky_feet
03-26-2003, 11:11 PM
SARS = Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

from Canada.com:

SARS is a condition in which affected individuals develop fever, followed by mild respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing. In some cases the respiratory symptoms become increasingly severe, and they require oxygen support and mechanical ventilation. Rarely, individuals with SARS have died as a result of their illness. Other symptoms include muscle aches, headaches and sore throat. The cause of SARS is unknown and no infectious agents have been identified.

It seems it's spread by close contact with an inffected person. It's been in the news quite a bit lately.

It might not be death on Earth, but it's enough to freak my parents out into reconsidering my cousin and I flying to Toronto.

MikigamiTokiya
03-26-2003, 11:19 PM
><;; oi....now isn't that just pleasent. oh well cahnces of dying are rare ^.~ i'll take my chances

ducky_feet
03-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah, not that many people have died from it....yet. People are being forced into quarantine because of this. It's so scary. *Prays that this gets better by the end of April*

MikigamiTokiya
03-26-2003, 11:24 PM
so many illnesses these days. There's that HK flu or whatever it is too which is pretty crazy.

ducky_feet
03-26-2003, 11:30 PM
The HK flu and SARS are the same thing. The illness is spreading through some people who have travelled to China/HK recently.

MikigamiTokiya
03-26-2003, 11:32 PM
ooooooooh *feels stupid* heh it's an epidemic then or whatnot ^^;;

ducky_feet
03-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Yeah, that's why it's worrying my parents so much. I'm still hopeful I'll be able to go to AN though.

XLainoftheWired
03-26-2003, 11:39 PM
(meanwhile in sunny florida) NOviruses here hahahahaha ::bzzzzt sting:: Itaiyo!!! ::looks at mosquito:: aww how cute... ::squish:: hmmm, feel strange ::brain swell untill it squishes against my own skull eventually killing me::

we get that here

ducky_feet
03-26-2003, 11:40 PM
That'll be in full swing in Canada once the weather gets warm. Just great, ANOTHER diesase to worry about. ¨__¨

Ack, no more OTness.

EDIT:
My parents are probably more worried than usual because they're from China and seems like it's pretty bad over there from what I can gather on the Chinese news.

MikigamiTokiya
03-26-2003, 11:58 PM
ack i know.....my one friend's parents wanna go to HK this year...damn that makes me nervous ><

Sakura
03-27-2003, 06:01 AM
Ewww... that SARS sounds nasty. I doubt I'd get it though so I'll still be going to Canada a lot ^^;; heh heh... lots of road trips this year cuz some of my friends have their own cars.

plovor
03-27-2003, 09:54 AM
delete

zoinomiko
03-27-2003, 10:17 AM
The radio tells me not to worry unless I'm over 40 and already have health problems. They've quarantined 1000 people, though. o.o Still, AN isn't for a while. I'm sure they'll either have it under control or all of Ontario will be quarantined by then. :p

ducky_feet
03-27-2003, 01:24 PM
I hope so. I don't want to buy a plane ticket only to find out I'm not allowed to go when May comes around. Neither do I want to wait last minute to buy my ticket either. :rolleyes:

Scoti
03-27-2003, 01:25 PM
I live towards the Mississauga area and I haven't heard about any reported cases out here. I'm worried about my grandmother, she lives in the apartments right across from Scarborough Grace hospital which was one of the ones shut down. Plus 80% of her building is asian and she has tons of friends who travel back and forth from Hong Kong regularly.
But I think this is a temporary thing and itís not as deadly as it may appear, but like any illness it will affect children and elderly the most.
I'm not locking my doors or anything

ducky_feet
03-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Yeah, plus we need to remember that SARS is probably spreading through China/HK more quickly because of the fact that the country is a lot more crowded than here in Canada.

Mekou
03-27-2003, 02:43 PM
I agree with Scoti. It's not as deadly as it appears to be.

At first I was paranoid about getting it and that I woudl die for sure if I did. X_x But As I looked at who was dying from SARS it turned out to be older people or people who were sick already. So I'm not as scared about it right now.

But if is gets worse...any coughinf I hear at AN will send me into panic mode X_x. lol maybe not. but I will get a bit nervous. -_-

rainetomoe
03-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Well I'm still planning to go to AN. I've worked too hard on costumes and stuff to not go. Plus I'm a programming guest there this year so I wanna go. My mom is a little worried though. Can't say anything to me cause I'm 21 but she could keep my sis from goig which would suck cause she's in the group too.
Yah so I'm not all that worried about it.

Yuna-X2
03-27-2003, 07:43 PM
It hasn't even crossed my mind really... I really should think like that, but the thought of anything happening to me never crosses my mind, so I think I'll still be going. Chances are, me and my group are only going the Saturday, considering we don't really know what happens at AN, and the whole transportation thing and permission is tough for my friends.

Chosuke
03-28-2003, 07:27 AM
I hope I don't have SARS.
I've been kinda sick all week.. ._.;
I just mistook it for Bronchitis... AGAIN

nyamiko_chan
03-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Chobrat
I hope I don't have SARS.
I've been kinda sick all week.. ._.;
I just mistook it for Bronchitis... AGAIN

I hope you aren't sick with it Cho..-_-;

it's probably just a old..i've had one for awhile too...one was going around and it STUCK to me for a long time...but i'm all better now ^^

hope you get better Chobrat :)

ducky_feet
03-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I thought I had it earlier this month. I was INSANELY ill for a week, with all but one of the SARS symptoms. It didn't help that the fact that my aunts from China were staying with my family at the time. But I'm all better now and no one else in my family got sick, so I think it was just a bad case of the flu.

I really hope you aren't sick with it Chobrat. We need everyone to be good and healthy! :)

UsagiNoSenshi
03-28-2003, 02:50 PM
my mom is more worried about the war -.- and yes i did point out the fact that Canada is not involved in the war but if you knew my mom......

Mekou
03-28-2003, 02:50 PM
*waves a "get well soon" flag for Chobrat*

Sullenshady
03-28-2003, 03:52 PM
According to the World Health Organization, out of around 1400 worldwide reported SARS cases, the death rate is something like 4%...and most of those are in mainland China, where good health care isn't widely available. Of course, the 1400 reported are only those who who got sick enough to require treament in the first place, so that should help to put this whole SARS panic in perspective. Don't worry, be happy, and come to AN :)

Visage
03-30-2003, 03:06 PM
I am hoping this SARS rate will decrease, the panic will stop, or it will resolve itself by the end of April. No matter how many times you try to tell someone more people die from the flu, they don't seem to believe it, even my relatives who are also in the health care profession... ::shakes head:: I think my group of friends and I are planning on being there, recognizing there is about a 1% we won't go if this thing gets out of hand, especially since we don't want to end up as carriers for something serious that could potentially infect higher-risk people in our families. (We are from out of town, so we wouldn't want to be responsible for bringing it to our area.) From the report I have read from the World Health Organization (WHO), I am not any more scared of SARS than I am of the flu right about now. However, as the situation continues, I will definitely be following it. I hope this thread will continue to follow it as well. It would be a great disappointment to miss North, so I have my fingers crossed.

ducky_feet
03-30-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm hoping that the SARS rates will decrease, too. I'm from WAY out of town (different province even) and it's done enough damage to scare my parents into seriously reconsidering their decision to let me go to AN. They're doing this reluctantly, my parents have agreed to wait until the end of April before deciding whether or not they'll let me go. My cousin is supposed to be going with me but her mom has already said "No". I'm hoping she'll reconsider later if things get better though.

Sarcasm-hime
03-31-2003, 03:42 PM
Info on the subject from AN staff:

"We've had inquiries from worried congoers and their parents about what effect the outbreak of SARS (Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome) will have on Anime North. The news stories about SARS are troubling and it's only natural to be concerned, especially as a parent. We'd just like to make it clear at this time that we take these concerns seriously and will be watching the situation carefully, but **Anime North will be going on as planned.**

Many of our staff work in the health care sector and have access to the most up-to-date info from Toronto Public Health and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control). To help reassure you, they've put together a short fact list and set of links where you can find more information:

All diagnosed or suspected cases of SARS in Toronto occurred in people who had close contact with a known case of SARS within the previous 10 days ie family, friends or health care workers.

Only 2 hospitals in all of Toronto have seen cases of SARS, Scarborough Grace and York. Both are on the opposite side of the city almost an hour from the Regal Constellation (the AN hotel).

There have been more cases of SARS diagnosed in the United States and other countries than in Canada.

The general public has a less than 1% chance of contracting SARS if they have not had direct contact with a SARS patient.

SARS appears to be less infectious than influenza and is spread by direct contact with body fluids such as saliva. If you take basic, sensible precautions like washing your hands and covering your mouth when you cough, the risk is no worse than catching the flu while riding the subway or visiting the mall.

The incubation period for SARS is 10 days. Public Health authorities are working quickly to identify and treat all existing cases of SARS and are confident they will have things well under control by the time Anime North takes place.

The CDC has decided there is no need to issue a travel advisory for Canada right now.

For more information see:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/03/27/illness.qa/index.html

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/health/sars/sars_factsheet.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/other/acute_resp_syn_multi.htm"

ducky_feet
03-31-2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the info and links Sarcasm-hime. I'll be sure to show these to my parents. ^___^

Mekou
04-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Suddenly my SARS butterflies have gone away. ^______^

Yuna-X2
04-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Ugh... I cancelled my AN trip this year. All the new news with SARS and stuff, along with the quarantine list going up to 10000 makes me think it just isn't worth risking it. I have heard over and over again now to avoid Toronto at all costs, so I finally decided that I would just posepone my trip.

I really hate this. Chances are, the concert I wanted to go to will be cancelled for me. Big crouds, closed in places... thats just not working in my mind. It's been made obvious it's going to get worse before it gets better. Maybe CNA. :(

Scoti
04-17-2003, 08:35 PM
aww sorry to hear that Yuna-X2..
I really hope AN doesn't get cancelled I've been planning for it for months...

Kurenai
04-17-2003, 10:12 PM
It looks like I'm making some backup plans to go to ACen, which is okay (if not $90123780912830912832 more expensive ><)

I'm not as worried about contracting SARS myself as I am worried about bringing home the virus to my father, who is rather old and not in terribly good health. This is enough for me to say that my Anime North chance is 40% as of now. I can't jeopardize something like my dad's health, but I'm waiting until I hear more about the Toronto situation to fully confirm or deny the trip. ::sighs::

UsagiNoSenshi
04-18-2003, 11:07 AM
If i go it'll be a last minute thing, my group doesn't want to give up but, unless some happier news about SARS comes out, we won't be going -.-

Sarcasm-hime
04-18-2003, 06:47 PM
From what I've heard the SARS thing seems to be fairly stable...it's not widespread, they haven't issued any alerts for the general public...I don't think that we really have much to worry about.

Kisa
04-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Ahh SARS... my poor misunderstood pet... I would hug you, but you do more damage in causing general panic and confusion then you do in actual presence. Go my pet, Go!

Erilan
04-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Kisa
Ahh SARS... my poor misunderstood pet... I would hug you, but you do more damage in causing general panic and confusion then you do in actual presence. Go my pet, Go!
:rofl:
Too true! XD

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 02:56 AM

LoL Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so...

Kurenai
04-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Eh....as much as there are people I want to see at ACen....an extra $500 for a flight to chicago is NOT HAPPY-GOOD. So, off I go to AN ^_^

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Seiya Yagami
LoL Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so...

OMG Dan posted *dies* :D you know I only bug ya cause I love ya right?

I mean yeah this SARS thing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of controll -_-

Kisa
04-20-2003, 02:01 PM
LOL! Dan, you and I are going ot have to celebrate SARS together at AN XD and I'll tell you my plans for getting it to eliminate my enemies!

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 06:51 PM
can we use this plan of yours to go with that plan of mine to go stalk out pertty j rockers?

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:09 PM
LOL! Dan, you and I are going ot have to celebrate SARS together at AN XD and I'll tell you my plans for getting it to eliminate my enemies!

LoL I'm game! Tell me the plans... hahaha

Yes I know Minako XD First time in a while

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I thought you were dead and a zombie was messaging me *snicker*

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Minakolabelle
I thought you were dead and a zombie was messaging me *snicker*

LoL Back from the dead... *Goes off to find a missing piece of his skull*

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:15 PM
is it itchy and tasty?

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:16 PM
is it itchy and tasty?

XD Eww...

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:17 PM
wait wasn't this thread abotu SARS nout you being dead??? XD *runs off to message you instead*

Kia
04-20-2003, 10:26 PM
is it itchy and tasty?
LOL! I think it's the 'T-virus' and it's gonna get us all ^_^

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:30 PM
it's the D-virus XD

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:36 PM
it's the D-virus XD

LoL What exactly does the D-Virus do?? Turn them like me?? Hahaha Oh God that's scary as hell... FIND THE ANTIDOTE FIND THE ANTIDOOOOOTE!

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:39 PM
it makes you lose a piece of your skull making it itchy and tasty so you have to go look for it while I bother you XD

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:41 PM
it makes you lose a piece of your skull making it itchy and tasty so you have to go look for it while I bother you XD

XD Lemme guess "something to do", right? *Shakes fist* Just you wait!

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:42 PM
your not goign to bite me are you?? O_o;;;

wait if it infects me is it the D-virus or the C-virus??

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:45 PM
your not goign to bite me are you?? O_o;;;

wait if it infects me is it the D-virus or the C-virus??

D-Virus!! Then you can go find YOUR missing piece of your skull while I torment you til' you go insane... Bwaahhahahahahaha!! *coughs up lung*... aw sh*t...

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:47 PM
nener nener nener you losted a lung mwahhhhhhhhhhhh

i can't lose pieces oif my skull it's super glued together XD

torment me???? what are you goign to do steal Kao from me and not let me finish it??? or wait *kills herself to type this* make me make it not........almost........perfect????

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 10:48 PM
nener nener nener you losted a lung mwahhhhhhhhhhhh

i can't lose pieces oif my skull it's super glued together XD

torment me???? what are you goign to do steal Kao from me and not let me finish it??? or wait *kills herself to type this* make me make it not........almost........perfect????

YES!! Bwahahaha... The Detail Nazi's weakness!!

Minakolabelle
04-20-2003, 10:50 PM
GAHHHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~~~~ *dies slowly and painfully*

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil i tell you..... just for that your........
going to.........
ummmmmmm *looks around*.........
*thinks*

WEAR MY MANA DRESS BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!! *runs off to find the make up*

Seiya Yagami
04-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Noooooooo!!! I'm GACKT.... GAAAAACKT!! No Mana dress!!

Minakolabelle
04-21-2003, 12:41 AM
your trying to break my insane detail finding skillz ;_; speaking of which i found more crap for the patches on Kao *goes back to fixing them

Mage
04-21-2003, 01:01 AM
And this has to do with SARS how...?

Minakolabelle
04-21-2003, 01:04 AM
I don't know....... it just kinda went off topic XD

Kia
04-21-2003, 11:37 AM
I don't know....... it just kinda went off topic XD
but it's fun none the less ^_^

rainetomoe
04-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Things aren't really as bad as they seem...I was in TO this past Saturday and I'm fine...there are still a whole lot of people going to TO...they are still going to work and everything regardless of SARS. We can't let fear and the media make us paranoyed.

MikigamiTokiya
04-21-2003, 08:14 PM
apparently they're telling people not to go to church which dun seem fine to me ><;; dammit, my mom is having second thoughts....

JustinCredible
04-21-2003, 08:32 PM
SARS really doesn't fit into my fun equation... so I'm leaving it as a remander.

Visage
04-22-2003, 03:38 PM
The CDC has just issued a travel advisory to the Toronto area. (Personally, I think they're getting a bit paranoid again.) Has the situation worsened at all? Large gatherings are considered to be a pretty big risk factor.

Minakolabelle
04-22-2003, 04:36 PM
i don't think the situation is getting worse I think people are getting more paranoid. I seen a sign up today when I went to get my contacts.

I live like a hour away from Toronto, it's starting to creep me out yo. Their starting to go insane @_@

Kia
04-22-2003, 06:20 PM
I was flipping channels and caught a clip on CNN talking about some teacher in the states who is in quarenteen b/c he just got back from Toronto. Even though there was more to the storyI get the feeling that now that CNN has pinpointed T.O. as "SARS-ville" alot of people are gonna freak out about anything to do with us. :(

Kurenai
04-22-2003, 06:40 PM
He was in quarantine because he just came back from Toronto, or because he had SARS?

If it is the former, then....god I hate the media and its hype. The latter...well, understandable.

Kia
04-22-2003, 06:51 PM
They "suspect" he has SARS or could have come in contact with SARS carriers. IMO the moral of the story is "If you live/go to/know any one in T.O. ..... you're gonna die. THIS IS AN EXAGERATION!!! (just a little disclaimer for those of you who only read selected parts of posts) I fully intend to go to AN AND live to tell about it :P

JustinCredible
04-22-2003, 07:28 PM
:thinks to self... self, with people being scared... self might have chance in game tournaments....:

:devil:

Kisa
04-22-2003, 07:52 PM
I think it's important to point out that CNN isn't really that reliable of a news source. And the HYPE and fear mongering that they're doing... yeah.
If only SARS were a COOL disease, it wouldn't JUST kill the elderly, the young and immune-system impaired. The Flu is more dangerous and kills far more people then SARS. It just doesn't have as scary and redundant of a name.

Kia
04-22-2003, 08:02 PM
I very much see your point, it's just that CNN has such a strong influence over alot of people. They see it on CNN so therfore it must be true. If they said that Godzilla was wandering around the streets of Vancouver then I bet you that at least *some* people would believe such a far fetched story. I know... I know... bad example, but if CNN says that T.O. is dangerous then alot of people do listen. :: sigh :: there goes our tourists for the summer...

Sullenshady
04-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Ah, screw SARS...I have a bigger chance of getting into an accident on the drive down from Montreal than of dying from, or even catching some freak virus that's less lethal than your average, garden variety flu anyway

Kia
04-22-2003, 08:04 PM
LOL, I just wish more people shared your opinion. ^_^

Seiya Yagami
04-22-2003, 10:44 PM
Well from what I heard so far people that have died from SARS are people older than 50... I never heard anyone under 30 who has it... but then again what do I know? ^_^;;

Mekou
04-23-2003, 09:05 AM
What's starting to scare me is the west nile virus that /may/ be coming and my friend said she heard on the news about some other deadly disease comming from Holland. X_x

.......I need a hug ;_;

Visage
04-23-2003, 09:15 AM
I've never been concerned about West Nile. That has been around for years and has only affected a handful of people, all of them very young or very old. I have heard nothing about diseases coming in from Holland.

kaiba
04-23-2003, 05:40 PM
>> What's starting to scare me is the west nile virus that /may/ be coming and my friend said she heard on the news about some other deadly disease comming from Holland. X_x

MORE deadly diseases? Sheesh, who needs germ warfare. We've got enough with what's going on now.

Kurenai
04-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Hmm I heard a theory that the US is making SARS seem worse than it is and warning citizens not to go *anywhere* in the world, especially Canada, because Canada didn't want to be part of the war, and this is something of a political and touristic revenge?

Say what you will about that, it has nothin' to do with me. Just something I heard. :P

Scoti
04-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Kurenai
Hmm I heard a theory that the US is making SARS seem worse than it is and warning citizens not to go *anywhere* in the world, especially Canada, because Canada didn't want to be part of the war, and this is something of a political and touristic revenge?

Say what you will about that, it has nothin' to do with me. Just something I heard. :P

I somewhat agree with that, it seems that US news like CNN has turned everyone against Toronto despite there being other cases reported in 25 other Countries. It wouldn't surprise me if they started making up reported cases in France so that everyone will stay away from there too.

Kisa
04-23-2003, 07:24 PM
*snerk* they already got even with France. "Freedome" fries." "Freedome Toast."
That'll show the French!
No more food named after them.

JustinCredible
04-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Next.... change hockey to stickpuck... that'll show those canadians....

Mage
04-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Don't forget about the Internet campaign to give the Statue of Liberty back to those damn French.....lol....I just about fell off my chair when I took a look at that site....

SARS is over-inflated...the only places I would be concerned about would be Hong Kong and China (I'm not sure what the situation in Hanoi is like now, so for now I'd just say HK and China)...dense populations make it very hard to control and the disease is likely to spread further in China considering how much travel around the mainland a large proportion of the population does.

As for Toronto, I think that the number of cases was limited enough when they first started taking precautions, so the situation is well in hand and, in any case, Toronto's population density is relatively low.

More than CNN, I'd be worried about the paranoia that will be induced by the fact that the World Health Organisation issued a travel advisory today for Toronto...which I think was a little hasty, all things considered, especially when a travel advisory was only issued to Bejing today as well, even though SARS is a much bigger problem there.

That's just my humble opinion, of course. As for West Nile Virus, I hope that instead of buying masks and the like which won't help much against SARS anyway, people should make sure they don't have any standing water around, since mosquitoes are icky and inviting them to live in your backyard isn't a good idea anyway.

Oh the bright side of this SARS epidemic, at least the massive animal slaughters associated with other recent epidemics haven't been necessary, right? ^_^

Visage
04-24-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm definitely not panicking yet, and my plans for North are still on as of now. The publicity is only causing undue hysteria. The only thing that would prevent me from going if things stay as they are would be problems at the border (letting people back into the country). When the locals start to worry and/or Chinese citizens start dropping like flies, I will be concerned, so I'm counting on you great Canadians to keep me informed about the situation up there! :) I am just trying to keep an eye on this in case something changes.

As for whether or not the government in the US is trying to hype this intentionally... ::rolls eyes:: I don't think the government's opinion reflects that of the general public. If they have some silly vendetta against Canada, I certainly don't. ::grin::

Kia
04-24-2003, 12:26 AM
Visage, watch Wag the Dog. Trust me, you'll never look at the media and it's stories the same way again. ^_^

Visage
04-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Kia, I'll definitely put it on my list of movies to watch when finals and North are over. :) Am I going to have to do some digging to find it, or is it a relatively recent release? I'm already skeptic of the media as it stands, and if this a satirical movie, it'll be right up my alley. ::grin::

Kia
04-24-2003, 02:29 AM
It's fairly recent. We're talking about sometime in the past 5 years. This is from the official site:
"Less than two weeks before election day, a scandal erupts that threatens to cripple the President's bid for a second term. But before the incident can cause irreparable damage, a mysterious fixer is called to the White House. The ultimate spin doctor, Conrad Brean (Robert DeNiro) has the uncanny ability to manipulate politics, the press and most importantly, the American people.

Anticipating the reaction of a frenzied press corps, Brean deftly deflects attention from the President by creating a bigger and better story - a war. With the help of Stanley Motss (the "t" is silent) (Dustin Hoffman), a famed Hollywood producer and his irreverent entourage, Brean assembles an unlikely crisis team who orchestrate a global conflict unlike any ever seen on CNN.

Wickedly fictional with historical overtones truer than many care to admit, Wag The Dog examines the blurred lines between politics, the media and show business."

Hopefully I haven't ruined the movie for anyone. But honestly, if your into politics or anything like that this movie is one you should see. ^_^

Visage
04-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Bad news for those coming from the US: It looks like they're stepping up from the travel advisory to a slight bit of travel restriction. We might start getting a hard time from the people at the border (which is what I am most worried about, since I'm not scared of SARS as a disease). They probably won't consider North a cause for "necessary travel" to Toronto. Technically, this restrictive policy is supposed to be in effect until at least three weeks from now, which is the week of North.

WHO recommended that persons travelling to Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and Guangdong Province, China consider postponing all but essential travel.

Using the same criteria, WHO has assessed the SARS situation in Toronto, Canada. The outbreak in this area has continued to grow in magnitude and has affected groups outside the initial risk groups of hospital workers, their families and other close person-to-person contacts, although all the cases reported have identified links to known SARS cases. In addition, a small number of persons with SARS, now in other countries in the world, appear to have acquired the infection while in Toronto. On the basis of this information, WHO is also including Toronto in the extension of its SARS-related travel advice.

This advice will be re-examined in three weeks time, which is twice the maximum incubation period of SARS.

Thoughts? (Especially comments from the locals.)

Chosuke
04-24-2003, 10:53 AM
I really don't think there is THAT much to worry about.
After all if you're worried about SARS at An it is not nearly close to Toronto,and there have been no cases of it in Missisauga or Brampton.

Kia
04-24-2003, 10:54 AM
F*** this whole thing! What do they think we're living in? This isn't Churnoble (sp?)! You're not gonna instantly die the moment you step across the border! Geez man, this is like the movie Outbreak or something... (which I haven't seen...)

For all those who are planning to come to AN from the states, here's a plan. Tell the officials that your on your way to visit realtives in Windsor for the long weekend. For those who don't know Windsor is right by the border and is hours away from Toronto. As long as they don't think your heading to Toronto then *hopefully* you won't be stopped and told to turn around.
:D I claim no responsibility if this doesn't work. I have no clue how border official work as I haven't been out of the province in years. ^_^

UsagiNoSenshi
04-24-2003, 12:08 PM
ugh! Why! Why must everything stop me from going to my first con! Fate is against me!

Kia
04-24-2003, 12:25 PM
:: shrug :: just go anyway

Visage
04-24-2003, 01:18 PM
IMO, 4000 people out of, well... the entire world since November doesn't sound too scary. China has over a billion people living in the eastern quarter of the country and they've only had 2000 cases; most have not died. This almost sounds like they've finally discovered what causes some of the undiagnosed pneumonia they could never treat with a higher mortality rate than the average pneumonia. Regardless of what they say, I think this may have been around longer than they believe. Now that they've put a name to it, they are causing people to panic over something that has probably been around for decades. Don't worry, I don't think trips to Canada = death. ;) I also didn't bring up the WHO report to scare people into staying away from the country. (I still want to go, after all.) However, I also don't want to be interrogated on the way back into the US and held in some room until they determine whether or not I have "SARS" (which I think is more likely than contracting SARS in the first place).

Has anyone (Do you know anyone) from the US been into Canada/Toronto since they issued the most recent travel restriction yesterday? How has the border been treating them and how is traffic at the bridges?

Kia
04-24-2003, 01:29 PM
What *I* want ot know is what has happened to all these reported "possible" cases of SARS. i keep hearing about people being quarentened, whether in Toronto or people who have just returned from here, but how many of them have actually ended up *having* SARS??? I think it's just a public scare tactic, IMO.

JustinCredible
04-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Plus since this 'OutBreak' has begun... the number of cases has lessened each week...

They are telling Baseball players coming into Toronto not to sign Autographs, interact with fans or take public transit...:rolleyes:

UsagiNoSenshi
04-24-2003, 02:25 PM
I don't think the issue is even can you get sars from going to toronto, it's more will your parents let you go because of the media hype. I have to convince my parents that i won't die the minute i cross the peace bridge.... -.-

Limeyaku
04-24-2003, 02:55 PM
*ranting*

SARS hysteric = retarded.

its a sickness. if you get it you get it. the main vulnerabilities are old people, like...really old...with weakened immune systems. the youngest was around 50 i think?

not everyone whos getting it is dying either, therefore i think announcing : " ____th case of sars has been diagnosed in Toronto " is RIDICULOUS. why dont we post all over the news that the 15000000th case of the flu has been found too. ~_~

did u know...150 people in toronto have been diagnosed. with nearly 5million people in the GTA thats 0.00003% of the population. is that REALLY something to worry about?

and "For members of the general public, the risk appears to be otherwise slim and near zero." is THAT so much of a risk to worry about? ~_~

ARGH! *pulls out hair* this is SO annoying!!! its a frikkn disease! some people will get it, some will not. maybe if the us didnt spend /billions/ on war we could work together and find a cure. ~_~ *no offense but DAMN thts stupid*

the news is happily raking in the money by paranoid freaks who watch everything there is to say about it and thats exactly what they want. they want US to get scared so that we watch MORE to 'know more'.

its gotten way too far out of proportion and its just stupid, imho.

and putting a BAN on toronto is INCREDIBLY RETARDED. if someone has it and it spreads its going to spread. unless you put of some FREAK kind of wierd forcefield around toronto to prevent airflow, theres nothing that can be done about it.

its our dirty world and its our disease. we have to live with it. get over it and stop being scared. people die from the flu too which is MUCH more contagious, are they banning the cities with that? THT makes me angry.

with the general public at less than 1% chance risk, im considering myself safe.

i dont know about you but i dont plan on kissing someones runny nose or eating their kleenexes. and if people are any amount of human beings, they willingly wash themselves...not go out in public, touch railings, wipe noses and then lick their hands.

maybe they do?

whatever. whole sars thing to me = s.t.u.p.i.d and incredibly blown out of proportion to scare the ppl who get scared easily and steal their money. the end.

*done ranting*

*returns*

AND!! the states have had over 100 cases too and no ones banning their country!!! ~0~ whether they die or not, they still have the disease. do people think tht since canada has a higher DEATH toll that we're that much worse? our health care might be, but the disease is the frikkn same.

THIS = STUPID

Kisa
04-24-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JustinCredible
Plus since this 'OutBreak' has begun... the number of cases has lessened each week...

They are telling Baseball players coming into Toronto not to sign Autographs, interact with fans or take public transit...:rolleyes:

Well Of course. Baseball people are so much MORE important then the thousands of people who take the TTC every day. *snerk*
Lime, you need a cookie ^-^

Limeyaku
04-24-2003, 03:07 PM
LOL! yes, yes i do. T_T *eats ritzcrackers instead cuz they're closer*

it was so stupid fighting with my mom last night for an HOUR to convince her to let me go on a class trip to see hamlet + eatons centre in TO. ~_~ i told her i was going anyways n id just pay myself but she ended up paying LOL.

im going to consider that as a GO for AN still...and if not, im using it as my basis for another huge arguement. ugh. x_x

well...if she doesnt want me to go to AN ill have to threaten to use the go train! *GASP!*

Kisa
04-24-2003, 03:10 PM
WoooO!! the scary scary public transportation! noooooo!!!
-_-

You have no idea how annoyed I am with all of this. The only good note is that anyone too stupid to realize that it's completely fabricated to cause panic, probably wont be at AN, and thus less stupid people there that we have to worry about. SO I guess SARS is good for something... ;)

I mean sure, If I were 60 or had immune system issues... I might think twice. But Really.

Kurenai
04-24-2003, 03:35 PM
::cries:: My first con in a veeery long time, and they're trying to ruin it. I bet it'll put a damper on the # of people who go, too! oh well. it'll be a TINY fun con, but ::grits teeth:: it'll be FUN. Goddamnit.

Sarcasm-hime
04-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Just a note, be careful if you choose to lie to border guards. They can be really evil sometimes; I think they choose people who have innate sadistic tendencies.

Kia
04-24-2003, 05:29 PM
LOL Sarcasm-hime! I never said it would work, I just came up with a really dumb solution b/c of this aledged "ban" on T.O. And about that, they might as well place a giant dome over the whole city for any use this whole "ban" will do. ^_^

Mage
04-24-2003, 06:30 PM
I wonder...if we're talking about American guards here...whether they'd know where exactly you were talking about if you said Mississauga instead of Toronto....or even Etobicoke...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that SARS isn't a risk and isn't worthy of some attention, but I think the main point is that all of the measures that have been put in place to curb the disease have proven *effective*. For all we know, if mandatory quarantines hadn't been issued, the disease could have got really out of hand really quickly...but that didn't happen, so I don't see why the WHO has chosen now to make a fuss about Toronto. Those who are at risk of having SARS will be in quarantine during the convention anyway and won't be there....besides, I don't think anyone visiting town is going to decide 'Oh, I guess I'll go sight-seeing to the various hospitals...I hear Scarborough is nice this time of year..."

It's too bad the Leafs hockey season is over...more people will have more time on their hands to whine about SARS now that they're not glued to their television sets. -_-;

Honestly, probably more people die every year of illness related to the horrid pollution levels around the GTA than will die from SARS in the same time period in the same area.

Sullenshady
04-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Well, it loooks like this whole SARS scare is winding down anyway....outside of a couple of health care professionals, there hasn't been a new reported case in over 3 weeks.

kenhidaka
04-26-2003, 12:55 PM
I believe personally this whole thing is blown way out of proportion. Anime North is still gonna happen and already several health directors in the Toronto area all say that it's safe to go to Toronto. Even Anime North is taking precautions by providing sanitizers and telling people to frequently wash their hands so I think anyone who is not considering to go to Anime North should reconsider. Unless a new wave of SARS comes rolling in, I'm not stopping myself from going and I hope the rest of you are going as well because there's no fun in half the people aren't going. I'm not saying to force people to go but not to believe in all this media because that's the reason why not many people are considering not going. I'm saying this nicely. Don't believe everything you hear on the news.

Visage
04-27-2003, 10:08 AM
I want to thank everyone in this thread that supplemented the information I was able to track down regarding this fiasco (Kia especially, since she even recommended a movie for me to watch this summer). I heard from a coworker that the border was not bad on 4/20, although that was before the travel advisory was issued.

Unfortunately, several individuals in the group were still frightened to death of the area due to the WHO's announcement. Some of our younger individuals going on the trip also ran into the problem of overprotective parents. As far as I have read, the advisory has not been lifted, and I think people are still going to be spooked for no good reason even if it is lifted relatively soon. While I think this entire fiasco is still ridiculous and blown out of proportion, the group has voted to attend another con this year and return to North next year. Since it will be cheaper for hotel and transportation to travel in a fairly large group, I will be going along with their decision. This is an economic decision, and not because I'm scared of the stupid SARS virus. ( ::rolls eyes:: I'm still not convinced it's even on par with the flu.) So, once again, I want to thank everyone in this thread for their help and hopefully I will run into you sometime next year. :)

Kia
04-27-2003, 01:56 PM
The WHO is reviewing the travel situation on Tuesday, plus the border guards are only handing out pamphlets on the SARS situation.
Visage, I'm really sorry that you can't come. To you and everyone who can't attend, I wish for you the best and I really hope we can meet at Anime North 2004. :bigtu:

BTW - anyone want to take me to these "other" con's everyone keeps talking about? ^_^

Kurenai
04-27-2003, 02:14 PM
That's too bad, Visage.
Perhaps someone could organize a cosplay gathering, maybe not in Toronto? I was looking at the PA one and I was like "I wanna go!" but it's an 8 hour trip and I don't have the money or the time. I figured, why not do one around here? Some food for thought. Places like Niagara Falls (Canadian side) are really nice in the summer.

Anyhoo....I have to admit I was scared by the hype at first, before I realized....HMM...nobody in Canada seems to take it seriously, and they'd be more affected by it. It's just another thing that they're using to try to rule us by fear -_- oh well.

I was eating beef today, and it made me think of the "Mad Cow Disease" epidemic.... It's along the same lines, methinks.

Yuna-X2
04-27-2003, 07:16 PM
I vote for one up more eastern Ontario-ish! Kingston, Ottawa... lol, I can get to those places in a second. Toronto is always a struggle for me...

Kisa
04-27-2003, 07:39 PM
You don't want it in Kingston. Trust me on this.

xiola
04-27-2003, 08:13 PM
i love how people's impression of "SARS central" is generalized outward from scarborough to be the ENTIRE city of Toronto, and yet , the rest of southern ontario is PERFECTLY OK.

... people commute. people drive around southern ontario every day. kitchener is one hour drive from toronto. the GTA (toronto) is also about an hour wide to drive through. so how can kitchener be Great and and all of toronto be Evil?

i'm not saying that you should treat everywhere like toronto, but i'm just saying that if you're going to cancel something you've planned to go to for a year just because of SARS, it's a bit silly say "i'll just go to the next town over then!"... deshou?

i mean, if people want to plan something else in southern ontario that i can get to, i'm all for it. but if it's because of SARS, you'd be better off to wait awhile or else all your paranoia will be wasted ^^;;

Visage
04-28-2003, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the well-wishing, Kia. I'm sure I'll run into you next year!

Perhaps someone could organize a cosplay gathering, maybe not in Toronto? I was looking at the PA one and I was like "I wanna go!" but it's an 8 hour trip and I don't have the money or the time. I figured, why not do one around here? Some food for thought. Places like Niagara Falls (Canadian side) are really nice in the summer.

Having a gathering at some other time might be fun. :) Niagara Falls is a nice place in the summer, and there are probably some good spots for pictures by the lake.

I was eating beef today, and it made me think of the "Mad Cow Disease" epidemic.... It's along the same lines, methinks.

I tended to place it on par with West Nile: Something almost no one caught, even though it was transferred by mosquitoes (which are everywhere) and had a tendency to be fatal only to those really young and really old. Despite this, everyone felt the need to FREAK OUT about it. ::shrug:: I still never understood why West Nile ever hit the panic button.

Yuna-X2
04-28-2003, 05:02 PM
You don't want it in Kingston. Trust me on this.

Hehheh, anywhere closer to where I am that I am aloud to drive to would work. :P *is right inbetween Ottawa and Kingston*

Erilan
04-29-2003, 09:15 PM
The travel advisory on Toronto by the World Health Organization has been lifted.

So, for the last time...

THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!