PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlets

Psychotic Jei
03-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Okay.... :;point to avatar:: I'm trying to figure out how to make gauntlets like those. And one similar to Reccas Tekko
http://www.snoopycool.com/manga/recca/vol-01_cover.jpg
http://www.snoopycool.com/manga/recca/vol-12_cover.jpg

rogue
03-27-2003, 07:00 AM
You could try foam sheets. They are very flexible, yet hold their final shape. You can glue them, staple them, or even sew them. If you can't find the color your want, they paint well too. You can buy them at Wal-Mart, JoAnn's, and Michaels.

I made my A-ko Bracers with foam sheets: http://www.rogueandflexei.com/cosplay/ako/melako16.jpg

Psychotic Jei
03-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanke Thanke. Everyone was saying to use fabric or leather...but thats kinda blargh looking. ^^ I shall go to Walmart. ^__^

hikura
03-27-2003, 06:04 PM
I agree with rogue.I also would think plastic would work wonders.Mind you that you might have to warm it to bend it properly.Plus plastic might be harder to find.

Amethyst Angel
03-27-2003, 10:10 PM
I've got some thin polystyrene sheeting, the likes of which I use in my armormaking projects: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html If you're interested, I can send you enough of the stuff to make yourselves some gauntlets with...

Psychotic Jei
03-28-2003, 12:46 AM
What type of stuff is it? And how do you work with it ^^;

Garuda_Aiacos
03-29-2003, 01:13 AM
Could it be Sintra?

It's similar to ABS/Styrene Plastic sheets (usually used for Stormtrooper armors) but you can shape/bend it using boiling water, instead of the oven or blow torch.

Amethyst Angel
03-29-2003, 01:19 AM
I don't know much about it except it's polystyrene and extremely thin (about 1 mm) I hot glue it over sheets of foamies craft foam. (I find if I bend the foam as I'm gluing the sheet on, it will usually retain it's curved shape once it's cool. I can also sew elastic to it quite easily.)

Psychotic Jei
03-29-2003, 01:46 PM
@_@ Just @_@

Amethyst Angel
03-29-2003, 04:12 PM
Um, in lieu of plastic sheeting, you could always just hotglue some heavy tagboard over the foam sheets instead to create a nice, paintable surface. (And then sew elastic straps to the gauntlet so you can slip it onto your hand.)

Hope I'm not confusing you...

Psychotic Jei
03-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Would they close? or would it be like elastic on the bottom part... :: trying not to get confused ::

L to the 3rd
03-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Amethyst Angel
I've got some thin polystyrene sheeting, the likes of which I use in my armormaking projects: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html If you're interested, I can send you enough of the stuff to make yourselves some gauntlets with...

HOLY MOTHER OF..! you are..awesome.

Amethyst Angel
03-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Would they close? or would it be like elastic on the bottom part... :: trying not to get confused ::

You'd just sew a strip of 1" wide elastic to connect the two edges of the gauntlet, like in the picture I'm attaching. (A picture of my Vincent Valentine claw, which had a strip of elastic around the wrist area.) It will make putting the gauntlets on and slipping them off a lot easier.

For the gauntlets that come together (like in the second manga cover picture) I would have both sides overlap each other slightly and then attach them together using snaps or velcro. (Foam sheets are easy to sew through so attaching fasteners shouldn't be too difficult.) Good luck with it!

HOLY MOTHER OF..! you are..awesome.

Thanks for the ego boost. :D I'm currently finishing up the studded metal cuff thingies for the Aeris costume I'm working on. I've also got some other armoring projects in the works I hope to finish soon (like a full suit of foam/plastic armor. Two suits, actually. Am I a masochist or what?)

Psychotic Jei
03-30-2003, 02:00 AM
You are definately awesome. You just solved all of my problems. * bows to armor making goddess * Hn... how much would you charge for the stuff to make the thigns with. :: is just so in awe ::

Amethyst Angel
03-30-2003, 10:14 PM
It would depend on how many gauntlets you're making and how much square footage you'd need. If you want to, you could make the foam part of the gauntlets and then use that to calculate how many square inches of plastic you'd need to cover them. (I probably wouldn't charge more than five bucks for the plastic, plus whatever it cost to ship it.)

Psychotic Jei
04-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Well it would only be three. Hn. My friend kept telling me to get Sintra. And the website I saw it on...said its just "Rigid PVC Foam board" x__x;

Amethyst Angel
04-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Well, by "three" did you mean three pairs of gauntlets or three square feet worth of plastic? (The foam sheeting which goes under the plastic, by the way, can be found at JoAnn's crafts for 1.49 per 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. You may have to hotglue 2 or more sheets edge to edge to get the size you need to wrap around your hand.) Snaps and velcro for fasteners can also be found at JoAnns.

Lil_Phoenix
04-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Just to give you another option, you could try plaster gauze. It's like what doctors make casts out of: You just dip it in water, smooth it out a little, and apply it to the "sculpture." (You can get it from Michael's- look for "Rigid Wrap.") I'd suggest getting some wire mesh as a base, and just putting this over it- though if you put lots of Vaseline on your arm, you could mold it to fit like that too. (The Vaseline keeps the plaster from ripping the hair out of your arms. ^.^; ) We use it a lot for 3-D objects in my Design class. It's hard to make a really smooth texture with it, so we put spackling compound (usually for fixing cracks in walls and stuff, so you can get it at any home improvement store) on it then sand it smooth. Just make sure the layer of plaster is thick enough that it's sturdy and doesn't bend at all, or the spackling might crack.

I just made a beak for a mask using this technique, I wish I had a pic to show you. It was an actual school project, but I might use it for a costume someday anyway. I love Amethyst Angel's method, too, though, and there's no risk of her plastic cracking. ^.^ Just giving you another option to think about.

Psychotic Jei
04-03-2003, 11:51 PM
three gauntlets. Two for the character in my Avatar. And then one for Recca. Maybe I should call them wrist guards...since they dont exactly go past there.

Amethyst Angel
04-04-2003, 04:04 PM
I think I could spare you enough plastic sheeting. PM me with an address and we can discuss terms...