PDA

View Full Version : AnimeFX Akibafest

NiceGai44
11-28-2006, 08:34 AM
http://www.afxakibafest.com/

Anyone else coming?

Let me be honest I am not to big on their events but this one seems to be a mini-con atmosphere. I was thinking about going. Cosplay, Concert, Dance, and Buffet. I will probably be there. $300 cosplay constest prize. Some of my friends are going.

Bagu
11-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah I bumped into one of the store owners Saturday evening at AUSA and we chatted about this. I really can't see how they manage to hold events like this in their store. They really need a bigger venue for stuff like this.

You guys had more space at your Hollow-Con event.

Odd they also have some of your pictures on their website. Did they get permission to do that?

NiceGai44
11-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah I bumped into one of the store owners Saturday evening at AUSA and we chatted about this. I really can't see how they manage to hold events like this in their store. They really need a bigger venue for stuff like this.

You guys had more space at your Hollow-Con event.

Odd they also have some of your pictures on their website. Did they get permission to do that?

They use us to promote I am all right with it. What is done is done. I cant change that. You know how I feel about it so oh well. They caught me after the masquerade and asked me to go. Well the fact it is at the Hilton works for me then. I will give them another try. Plus my friends want to go.

Ichigogami
11-28-2006, 09:11 AM
I'll try to attend, but from what i've heard before AFX parties are a bit of a bummer, but i'm gonna see for myself

NiceGai44
11-28-2006, 09:32 AM
This event seems to be a real step up for the store. I will go and support them. They got me hooked on Tenjo Tenge when it first came out.

Ataru Moroboshi
11-28-2006, 11:50 AM
If this is what Lycoris was talking to me about early, I'm in.

NiceGai44
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Cool yeah Barbara told me you we interested. Hope to see ya there.

blondie-chan
11-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Barbara told me about that too. I'd be interest but it is on the day of my parents aniversary so I'll have to wait and see.

Skyline Kyo
11-29-2006, 07:44 AM
December 27... as long as it doesn't snow... I would love to check it out.

Ichigogami
11-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I've confirmed that I'm going. I bought my ticket last night. I'll be there as Misaki Suzuhara from Angelic Layer, whom I will also be costuming at the dinner gathering I just gotta finish making it. I left myself atleast a month in advance just gotta get the vinyl for my boots tomorrow and start sewing it this weekend. If I'm lucky i might finish my Hikaru too! ^_^

Lycoris
11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, I'd say they got informal permission. They asked to take photos of us and they said they would post them on the internet.

Well, my main concern is the cost. Events that cost that much money had better be fun and have a good turnout. But if the turnout is low... maybe not so fun. events like these are always risky. Still, I'm hopeful.

NiceGai44
11-30-2006, 11:16 AM
You know if I am pay 25 buck then I am seriously going to have a good time or hype it up. Screw that.

Ichigogami
11-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm just gonna have a ton of fun being able to see a bunch of my good conventioning friends that i don't ordinarilly get to visit and they don't get to see me much either. I think we should just keep our eyes on the silver lining of the cloud and make the best of it.

Saxinthehall
11-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Oh nuts, I didn't know today was the cut off for the 25$ tickets. Gotta register now and then try to figure out who I'm going to be cosplaying as.

The Element
11-30-2006, 02:14 PM
its 25 bucks? thats nottoo bad i guess. better then 50 bucks like at otakon.

Either way i wanna go if things work out

dizzylizzy
12-01-2006, 10:05 AM
It's $35 now. The cut off for $25 was the 30th of November. Even so, $35 for 2 concerts, food, free park, shuttle service (if needed) is STILL a great price. You would have to pay that much or more for a single concert alone.

I'm going and bringing a bunch of my buds. ^^

Also, if people question the cosplay contest with the $$ for a price, I'm one of the judges and it is legit. : )

The Element
12-01-2006, 10:07 AM
All i wanna know is there gonna be a rave and is it gonna be good LOL

Bagu
12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
its 25 bucks? thats nottoo bad i guess. better then 50 bucks like at otakon.

True enough, but $50 for all the things to do at Otakon is not too shabby for something so local.

Now, DragonCon on the other hand (which I'm currently considering)

$50 to 2/15/2007
$60 to 5/15/2007
$70 to 7/13/2007
$85 thereafter and at the door

The Element
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
LOL yeah but you gotta understand i normally find myself not going to events much...and just chilling with people.

teoka
12-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Awesome! :D My friends have tickets and one definitely has a Shikamaru costume she'll wear. Sadly, we're all too young for the cosplay contest D: But hey, I'm gonna cosplay anyway! >D

Will be bringing SnJ Deidara just to wear <3 Unless I can get one of my Katsucon costumes together by then. If any of them, it'd be TJ Temari!

Now to convince my mom...XD;; Oh, Jebus...

blondie-chan
12-03-2006, 02:01 AM
It looks like I will be able to make it. And in addition to that, if time allows, I will be working on a Rouge the Bat costume to go along with the other sonic characters. (With a little of Barbara's help of course:toothy: )

Alanna-chan
12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I'm debating going to this. But if I do go, I'll be there as Icha Icha ^^

teoka
12-03-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm debating going to this. But if I do go, I'll be there as Icha Icha ^^

You were at AUSA, right? XD I loved your Icha Icha!

Gogglegirl
12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I want to go, but i think I might still have family over then. I don't know. I have to ask my parents about it. I'd also want to finish my Toushiro costume before then. If Toushiro isn't done...then I don't think I would enter the contest. None of my costumes are Contest worthy really...well except maybe Time Jump Sakura...but its not completely accurate....so uhh yeah...gotta ask my parents first....

Lycoris
12-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, I've registered now so I'm ready to go. Just got to finish costuming... which will take awhile. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's costumes!

dizzylizzy
12-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I have some great news!

They know some people don't have much money so they changed the ticket prices to $30 until December 15 and then $35 until the extended ticket sales on the 20. Hooray!!

They are still debating on door sales. They just need a head count in order to place the food order.

Also they are about to post group ticketing at a very good price in a day or so. I'll be sure to let you guys know whent hat happens!!

Flippin' sweet!

blondie-chan
12-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm so excited but I don't know how much more time I have to work on the costume!

LaPetiteSalope
12-18-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm coming!

The Element
12-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Im signed up, signed up for the group cosplay contest and i have my bus ticket!

SO im gonna head down! All i wanna know at this point is the dance going to be a rave!

Skyline Kyo
12-19-2006, 09:53 PM
SO im gonna head down! All i wanna know at this point is the dance going to be a rave!

Amen on that! I hope it's a rave too!

dizzylizzy
12-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Who's all doing the costume contest?? (So excited!!)

LaPetiteSalope
12-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Who's all doing the costume contest?? (So excited!!)

lolol me. I was going to enter my ashe but I thought it would be too uncomfortable to wear the entire time there, so I'm entering my Card Captor Sakura cosplay

Parasaurolophus
12-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Sadly, I won't be able to make it this year.... my flight is returning a day late.... good luck, contestants- the agents are excellent judges, and I think this will be a good competition. :)

teoka
12-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Some help?

Sadly, the website doesn't seem to have the right info, and my sister's jumping on my back to get things organized. O_O;;; So could someone give a schedule of what's gonna happen? ARIGATO~! :D

dizzylizzy
12-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Some help?

Sadly, the website doesn't seem to have the right info, and my sister's jumping on my back to get things organized. O_O;;; So could someone give a schedule of what's gonna happen? ARIGATO~! :D

They are updating the site currently including the new layout. I'm expecting the full update of times and such very soon.

Here's their Forums, btw. http://forum.afxakibafest.com/

Let's see... now this if from a meeting a couple weeks ago, so the times are TENATIVE.

They are asking for the cosplay contestants to be there at 6 or 6:30 (I do not know the exact time. When I do, I'll let you know!!)

The event begins at 7. There's a DJ, food, people arriving, and cosplay judging, I believe.
8pm is the contest.
9:30 is Unicorn Table and Mai (I know there is a potential signing as well)
10 is the dance, I believe.
Ends at Midnite.

Now, do not quote me on these times. Everything is Tenative the last I knew. When I hear more, I'll be sure to pass on the word. : )

Also, there is a meet and greet at 12pm at the Anime FX store. Meet Unicorn Table and Mai. DO NOT COSPLAY TO THIS MEET AND GREET. The mall does not like it and can possibly kick you out and potentially cause trouble for the store. : )

I look forward to seeing everyone's costumes!! Heck, I look forward to seeing everyone. I know I've said that a bunch of times already. ^^;; I'll be wearing the costume that is in my avatar.

OvershadowCloud
12-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I know there is not at door or whatever, but think they'll let two people in? We both really want to go but found out about this way too late. X____x;

dizzylizzy
12-27-2006, 07:30 AM
I know there is not at door or whatever, but think they'll let two people in? We both really want to go but found out about this way too late. X____x;

They are not selling tickets at the door. : ( Sorry.
They needed to know in advance how many people were coming in order to place the food order.

NiceGai44
12-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Cant wait to see everyone tonight. My group is ready to roll.

irkenmodelgir
12-27-2006, 11:02 AM
leaeing now to head up there soo ill see everyone later, ill be at the mall for awile XD

Ataru Moroboshi
12-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Cant wait to see everyone tonight. My group is ready to roll.

Way to go guys! We rocked! Sonic Team FTW!!

LaPetiteSalope
12-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Way to go guys! We rocked! Sonic Team FTW!!

XP no way

Sakura pwnage.

"YOU JUST GOT PWWWNNNNNED"
teehehe ^_^
It was so nice meeting everyone and seeing old faces XP OLDDDD PEOPLE

dizzylizzy
12-28-2006, 06:13 PM
It was so great meeting everyone! Thank you to all the contestants who entered. All of you have amazing patience with the events being pushed back. Thanks so much for being so great!! I apologise for the wait. : ( We made the best of it, right?! ^^

It really was a close contest. We wanted to give something to many of you. Even though some were not recognised on stage, believe me, we wanted to. There were so many great costumes. I really hope to see everyone back next year with more costumes!! That would rock!!

I'll be uploading all the photos I took of each contestant as soon as I can.

PS- Sorry about the long wait to find out who won. Hopefully that will change next year. It was out of my hands. Also, the whole stage thing. The whole "Walk on/off" and Ari beign there. I know it threw us (judges) for a loop, I can only imagine what it did for you guys. O.o Thats' also being worked out.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, comments, improvements, and so on please feel free to contact AKibaFest http://www.afxakibafest.com/ Emailing is the BEST option. : ) Please remember though, this is an "event", not a "convention" though. ^^

The Element
12-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah that was kinda strange. But it wasnt like it was your faults. people needed to be more clear with some things is all.

I had a few problems with the ....err...."not a con..." but god knows after i asked 2 questions (after being told questions are allowed) and had a 30 minute lecture thrust upon me, i was not asking anything else o.O. I didnt feel like being held there any longer, just like the rest of you, i think.

I might email them at that address but i have a feeling most veiws which dont meet anime FXs ideas will be harshly thrown away. thats the impression i got anyway...even though the words "all veiws are welcome" was uttered.

If it wasnt for my friends there i would have just been standing around confused. but because of them I had fun.
lets hope they take peoples ideas and next year runs more smoothly.

NeoLunaAngel
12-28-2006, 08:39 PM
It was great meeting everyone, KagmomeChann, I found you here, lol! I hope to see everyone around at cons soon (most people are going to Katsu, right?)

I hope everyone had a great time, I know I did ^_^

PS- I was the Tsubasa Sakura :)

LaPetiteSalope
12-28-2006, 09:51 PM
It was great meeting everyone, KagmomeChann, I found you here, lol! I hope to see everyone around at cons soon (most people are going to Katsu, right?)

I hope everyone had a great time, I know I did ^_^

PS- I was the Tsubasa Sakura :)

HOOOOIII! Chaaa Sakura-chan! *hugs* how are you? ^_^

--Only complaint I had on the afxkibafest was the deal where we weren't allowed to do skits. What happened to the whole deal with, "You guys have to present yourselves onstage as your character."? Well, I guess cause its a new event, planning becomes difficult...but still...short skits would've made a huge difference.

by the way...anyone know when the pictures are going to be posted, nya? *blink*blink*

dizzylizzy
12-28-2006, 10:30 PM
HOOOOIII! Chaaa Sakura-chan! *hugs* how are you? ^_^

--Only complaint I had on the afxkibafest was the deal where we weren't allowed to do skits. What happened to the whole deal with, "You guys have to present yourselves onstage as your character."? Well, I guess cause its a new event, planning becomes difficult...but still...short skits would've made a huge difference.

by the way...anyone know when the pictures are going to be posted, nya? *blink*blink*

I had mentioned the skit stuff in the planning of the event. Sadly this year it wasn't available. Hopefully next time we'll have a chance for some skits. It's more entertaining. ^^

As for pics, I just uploaded mine!
http://lizzy.agentsofcosplay.com/gallery/v/akibafest2006/

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 12:33 PM
i hope u all had fun, cuz......yeah...

I give it up to Mai and unicorn table for showin up, and i feel bad for mai, i knew her songs but not who she was. She was awesome.

now for behind the scenes

1. all be it waiting for 2 and a half hours in a line that had no real use was very confusing and eventually annoying, first we line up, then we have to line up this way, then this way, then finally this way. eventually it was *who can push people and get to the frount of the line regardless of when we got there* just sayin organize the line better then 4 times and better then after about 100 people are standing there.

2. i understand that there was a food shortage, and that ALOT of people didnt get to eat cuz there was nothing left, but in that case costco, sams club? maybe have someone hand out the food instead of letting people pile a lil hill onto there plate while other starve? work could be used on that

3. the mai entrence, ok i understand, as my feelings expressed before, that maybe alot of people didnt really know her, and that cheering for her was needed, but maybe if u said like "shes done freckles for kensin, or FMA, or Naruto" might be like ZOMG i think i know her and shes awesome, instead of "ur not cheering loud enough for her to come out" i think it took like 6-7 min before she got on stage. a little info about the star we are going to see would help out alot, and also not to keep asking for more, when people give it there all, cuz eventually alot of people i heard in the back of the room were like "Just cheer for her so we can get it on".

4. the Q/A panel for the cosplayers (in the contest) only which maybe should have been a little more public, because they didnt have alot of the same problems we might have had would have been nice, i understand u wanted some ideas for next year (if you even got any) but you should really get both contest and visitor voice.

5. i understand that you wanted to keep it a surprise for the dance but uhhh did you notice how many people were there for the dance, i think i counted 20.........alot of people just went home. just give us a better understanding as to what to expect when we go there, cuz i dont want to show up at a voteing booth and there like "vote" but there are no names on the levers, voteing shouldent be a surprise, and neather should a dance WE pay to go into.

All in all i had more fun hanging out with friends outside the "con/S.A.G.E.= Social Anime Gathering Event" then ever in it. work on it. next year, you wont see me, or maybe even half those people again, but if u strive at it, im sure itll be good.

but why would they check here for help....cosplay.com is hurting the indistry ZOMG XDDDDDDDDDD that baka.

Now im going to go to best buy, watch a little youtube, and post on cosplay.com, while watchin AMV's XD

NiceGai44
12-29-2006, 01:06 PM
^I feel ya man.

Bad
To be honest the biggest problem was nothing was planned out. It was like lets have these events and expirement and see how they run. I was Super Sonic and in the middle of our skit on stage after Knuckles hits me and I am on my knees the announcers says how long did it take to make your cosplays? Amy Rose had a perfect part and was not able to do it. To be honest the cosplayers for the contest got left over scraps. There were like 2 skewers sticks for each participant.

Good
I saw a good majority of my friends from cons long ago. I guess the most fun I had was backstage dancing with my Sonic friends we were getting down.

JohnnyStarwind your Pip was awesome.

Skyline Kyo
12-29-2006, 04:07 PM
I agree with your comments NiceGai

And I'm going to be honest... the whole cosplay thing did get to me...

I asked if it was okay for me and Kagomechann to do a short skit (under 2 minutes of course) and was told it was okay. However, when I get on stage, all of a sudden I'm being told I can't do a skit?

This was rather shocking to me considering the speech we got about "present yourself as your character when you get on stage". I can understand that timing and planning was on the difficult side and I really did intend to have fun with everything (I did have a rather amusing skit planned) but ....

Anyways, I'm glad to see that an anime based event like this happens. It was fun to see everyone and hang out. See you guys all at Katsucon :D

dizzylizzy
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Please don't forget to contact AkibaFest guys with your pros and cons. They do not look here. : (

Again, I feel you guys on the cosplay contest. I mentioned earlier how it through us the judges for a loop as well as everyone else. I talked to him earlier today about it as well. The contest ran "too short" because of it. The man in charge didn't know that was going to happen and it was planned for it to go they way it was told in the room.

First events.... always have large ass kinks. : ( Call it a test run I suppose.

Well, at least the judging went well, right? lol ::winks:: I wish we didn't have to keep everyone in the room, but just have you guys report back. Hopefully that will change. (Hooray for fruit?? lol) We tried to keep everyone as organised as possible and cheer you on. We hopefully have it down to a science. If you guys have any suggestions about that part, please feel free to let me know. As for everything else, please please please tell Akibafest. They will not know otherwise.

BA143TRNT
12-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Regarding the list of problems I read posted earlier, let me make a few points.

"1. all be it waiting for 2 and a half hours in a line that had no real use was very confusing and eventually annoying, first we line up, then we have to line up this way, then this way, then finally this way. eventually it was *who can push people and get to the frount of the line regardless of when we got there* just sayin organize the line better then 4 times and better then after about 100 people are standing there."

It sucks that people had to wait in such a long line for such a long time, but to be honest I can understand why. The entire event was apparently already behind schedule from the time they began doing sound check. And of course the many factors that go into doing sound check. The person doing the sound might have not been there on time or something to that effect. And it seriously would have sucked if everyone would have gone into the concert two hours earlier only to find it silent. For any event like that to go smoothly, it's necessary that the officials running the event have enough time to set it up for YOU. The inconvenience of waiting in line does not match, in any way, the inconvenience of having a shoddily put together system work for the next however many hours.

Also, regarding reorganizing the line, it's hard keeping that many people under control in a venue such as the Hilton, and when they found that their originally planned system of organization was not working the way they wanted it to because people started to mull around and block walkways towards fire exits, they found it necessary to change it up several times in order to accommodate everyone.

"2. i understand that there was a food shortage, and that ALOT of people didnt get to eat cuz there was nothing left, but in that case costco, sams club? maybe have someone hand out the food instead of letting people pile a lil hill onto there plate while other starve? work could be used on that"

There was a food shortage because people waited really long to get their tickets, long after the management for the show put in the food order to the hotel catering services. It had absolutely nothing to do with the people in charge of the event, but rather the people who decided to wait 'til the last minute to buy their tickets. They honestly tried to tell everyone about that, and even extended their cut off dates for the tickets for those people who wanted everything bent to their will. They were only trying to be considerate, and in my opinion, were really being too nice. In any other event such as that, such extensions would have NEVER happened under any circumstance.

Also, consider that hotels are businesses as well. There IS NO outside food sources inside a hotel. Costco and SamsClub do not exist to the Hilton. It's not allowed, because it loses the hotel money.

So to prevent something like this happening in the future? Thank you for suggesting that there should be no extension dates. I'm sure they'll consider that highly, and will not accommodate procrastinators.

"3. the mai entrence, ok i understand, as my feelings expressed before, that maybe alot of people didnt really know her, and that cheering for her was needed, but maybe if u said like "shes done freckles for kensin, or FMA, or Naruto" might be like ZOMG i think i know her and shes awesome, instead of "ur not cheering loud enough for her to come out" i think it took like 6-7 min before she got on stage. a little info about the star we are going to see would help out alot, and also not to keep asking for more, when people give it there all, cuz eventually alot of people i heard in the back of the room were like "Just cheer for her so we can get it on"."

(1) She did not originally sing those songs, thank you. As she had mentioned on stage, if you had been listening to the translator, she is currently working on writing her own songs. As of now, she is the newest Jpop Gothic Cosplay Idol, and most popular in Japan at the moment. Also, when you signed up for the event, there was information on Mai presented to you. Just a thought. (2) Ever consider there might have been a problem with her entrance? Something might have happened to her and the MC was trying to stall to give her enough time to fix the problem. Things happen; give them a break.

"4. the Q/A panel for the cosplayers (in the contest) only which maybe should have been a little more public, because they didnt have alot of the same problems we might have had would have been nice, i understand u wanted some ideas for next year (if you even got any) but you should really get both contest and visitor voice."

This one I honestly have no idea what you mean. Trying to decipher the meaning behind what you've written is giving me a little problem. But concerning the cosplay contest, I understand that many of the contestants had a little problem with doing their skits. That may be true, but consider exactly who told you about being able to do that. When you are told behind the scenes that you will be allowed to do a skit on stage, it doesn't do any good to you if that information does not reach the management. If the contestants are really that dead set on doing skits, they need to make sure they give all the information needed for doing so (including how long, the script, and an all around general idea of the skit) straight to the management at least a week BEFORE the event and not any later, especially not last minute like when you're about to walk on stage. Everyone, including the MC, need to know exactly what is happening before hand, because as you're walking on stage to do the skit you made up, the management has no way of walking up to the MC while she's conducting a show to tell her what it is you plan to do. And if the skits lasted longer than 30 seconds, then the event would have been held back at least a half hour to an hour more than it already was.

And if you were trying to say that there should have been an audience-approval factor to the voting, that's difficult to do, especially in a setting where people's friends skew the bias on those sorts of things. "Look, my friend's on stage. I want him to win! Yaaay! YAAAAY!" That's why there was no audience-approval factor. Besides that, the MC had already stated before hand that the results to the contest was based purely on skill, craftsmanship, and creativity, which is why they had chosen skilled cosplay veterans to do the judging in the first place. Otherwise, the entire contest would have been just a simple, high school reminiscent popularity contest.

"5. i understand that you wanted to keep it a surprise for the dance but uhhh did you notice how many people were there for the dance, i think i counted 20.........alot of people just went home. just give us a better understanding as to what to expect when we go there, cuz i dont want to show up at a voteing booth and there like "vote" but there are no names on the levers, voteing shouldent be a surprise, and neather should a dance WE pay to go into."

The dance: Simple. It's called a Christmas Cosplay Concert BALL. So where's the surprise in it? It was also listed in the fliers that were handed out, on the website, and even in the pamphlets that were handed out at the concert. For those who bought tickets in the store, they were told from the people behind the scenes themselves. So where exactly is the surprise in all of this? The DJ was playing music for the dance both BEFORE the concert and after. So it's really not the fault of Akiba Fest if people weren't dancing before hand, or if they left too early, or if they didn't notice that there was a dance despite the fact that it was written in so many places. If you weren't there at the dance afterwards, you missed out. That's really all there is to it.

So in conclusion, I'm sorry that you're not coming to Akiba Fest next year. Personally I myself will be there because I know the implications of a first-time event. No regular con runs completely smoothly their first year either. Not to mention, I had a blast listening to the performers, and I can't wait to find out who they're bringing in next.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Regarding the list of problems I read posted earlier, let me make a few points.

It sucks that people had to wait in such a long line for such a long time, but to be honest I can understand why. The entire event was apparently already behind schedule from the time they began doing sound check. And of course the many factors that go into doing sound check. The person doing the sound might have not been there on time or something to that effect. And it seriously would have sucked if everyone would have gone into the concert two hours earlier only to find it silent. For any event like that to go smoothly, it's necessary that the officials running the event have enough time to set it up for YOU. The inconvenience of waiting in line does not match, in any way, the inconvenience of having a shoddily put together system work for the next however many hours.

Also, regarding reorganizing the line, it's hard keeping that many people under control in a venue such as the Hilton, and when they found that their originally planned system of organization was not working the way they wanted it to because people started to mull around and block walkways towards fire exits, they found it necessary to change it up several times in order to accommodate everyone.

There was a food shortage because people waited really long to get their tickets, long after the management for the show put in the food order to the hotel catering services. It had absolutely nothing to do with the people in charge of the event, but rather the people who decided to wait 'til the last minute to buy their tickets. They honestly tried to tell everyone about that, and even extended their cut off dates for the tickets for those people who wanted everything bent to their will. They were only trying to be considerate, and in my opinion, were really being too nice. In any other event such as that, such extensions would have NEVER happened under any circumstance.

Also, consider that hotels are businesses as well. There IS NO outside food sources inside a hotel. Costco and SamsClub do not exist to the Hilton. It's not allowed, because it loses the hotel money.

So to prevent something like this happening in the future? Thank you for suggesting that there should be no extension dates. I'm sure they'll consider that highly, and will not accommodate procrastinators.

(1) She did not originally sing those songs, thank you. As she had mentioned on stage, if you had been listening to the translator, she is currently working on writing her own songs. As of now, she is the newest Jpop Gothic Cosplay Idol, and most popular in Japan at the moment. Also, when you signed up for the event, there was information on Mai presented to you. Just a thought. (2) Ever consider there might have been a problem with her entrance? Something might have happened to her and the MC was trying to stall to give her enough time to fix the problem. Things happen; give them a break.

This one I honestly have no idea what you mean. Trying to decipher the meaning behind what you've written is giving me a little problem. But concerning the cosplay contest, I understand that many of the contestants had a little problem with doing their skits. That may be true, but consider exactly who told you about being able to do that. When you are told behind the scenes that you will be allowed to do a skit on stage, it doesn't do any good to you if that information does not reach the management. If the contestants are really that dead set on doing skits, they need to make sure they give all the information needed for doing so (including how long, the script, and an all around general idea of the skit) straight to the management at least a week BEFORE the event and not any later, especially not last minute like when you're about to walk on stage. Everyone, including the MC, need to know exactly what is happening before hand, because as you're walking on stage to do the skit you made up, the management has no way of walking up to the MC while she's conducting a show to tell her what it is you plan to do. And if the skits lasted longer than 30 seconds, then the event would have been held back at least a half hour to an hour more than it already was.

And if you were trying to say that there should have been an audience-approval factor to the voting, that's difficult to do, especially in a setting where people's friends skew the bias on those sorts of things. "Look, my friend's on stage. I want him to win! Yaaay! YAAAAY!" That's why there was no audience-approval factor. Besides that, the MC had already stated before hand that the results to the contest was based purely on skill, craftsmanship, and creativity, which is why they had chosen skilled cosplay veterans to do the judging in the first place. Otherwise, the entire contest would have been just a simple, high school reminiscent popularity contest.

The dance: Simple. It's called a Christmas Cosplay Concert BALL. So where's the surprise in it? It was also listed in the fliers that were handed out, on the website, and even in the pamphlets that were handed out at the concert. For those who bought tickets in the store, they were told from the people behind the scenes themselves. So where exactly is the surprise in all of this? The DJ was playing music for the dance both BEFORE the concert and after. So it's really not the fault of Akiba Fest if people weren't dancing before hand, or if they left too early, or if they didn't notice that there was a dance despite the fact that it was written in so many places. If you weren't there at the dance afterwards, you missed out. That's really all there is to it.

So in conclusion, I'm sorry that you're not coming to Akiba Fest next year. Personally I myself will be there because I know the implications of a first-time event. No regular con runs completely smoothly their first year either. Not to mention, I had a blast listening to the performers, and I can't wait to find out who they're bringing in next.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

1 i understand all that but at the same time, i think that setting up would commence at least 2 hours beore people would show up leaving a possable 4 hour time to set up and check sound, more then enough time in my eye. (2) if you've sold say 100 tickets, id say you would try to set up an area that was lets say 100 person frendly so that it isent blocking exits or any of the hotel works, that takes a look and an ask.

2 maybe the hotel wasent the best choice, maybe it was. but at the least would you say (again) "I have 100 tickets sold, so im only going to order ood or 100 people"? no, you over order, get enough or 150, and still put someone there to hand out the food, its simple for that. and its there choice to say "well we need to order the food by the 22nd but we will have the cut off date on the 24th" thats there fault, and should have at least guessed to how many people might sign up at the last min.

3 im sorry did they not say "she will now sing for you a song she sang in the naruto movie???" and like i said i had no hard feelings agens't her. and if there was a problem with her entrence then maybe they should have......idk...... TOLD US SOMETHING ABOUT HER other then think "boy she must not like us cuz shes makeing us cheer and cheer and cheer just to get her out there" adn who really reads the hand outs most of the time, maybe if i had it while i was in the stuped "moveing line" then i would have read it about 15 times.

4 i was talking about this "panel" they were haveing for the cosplayers in the "skits" during the signing/dance that lasted more then an hour.

but make sure you know to because if they tell you to "go on stage and be your character" before hand and then backstage there like "ok you all should do a skit, no more then 2 min." then u get on stage prepared to do a short skit and the person on stage is like "so how did you make ur costume....what....no you cant do a skit" that to me seems like the communication errior was within, and maybe a meeting before the con started might have helped.

and i had no problem with the judging, they did a good job for the most part.

*side note* Did you happen to even go to there last lil "event" that was thrown together at the store? the one DCAnime threw, all that was, was a "O l00k 1ts 0r c0w0k3r sh3 w1ns n0 m4tt4 wh4"

5 ok they want to call it a ball thats cool, but when you get there and there playing jay z, j rock, j rap, and breakbeat.....well i dont know what ball you've gone to but there normally classy. (2) the program said and i quote in its 16 times new roman font *ahem* "Dance" .......... u tell me man, u tell me.

and also in the "panel" they were having my friend asked why he wasent allowed to know what type of dance it was, where the man RUNNING the thing proceeded to JUMP down his throut and say "NO! I will not tell you what the dance is. We like to keep it a surprise, and were not going to have a rave just because you want it." I will point out his only questions was "Why wouldent you tell me what type of dance it was?" that was it, rave was never said.

And i was there for the dance, all 10 min then i was like.....ok theres no one here and my friends are in some forum, uhhh ill sit in the lobby and talk with other people and have FUN.

and for what there bringing next, well it wont be AMV's for damn sure

and id like to say that hallowcon went really well for its first year cuz we did one major part, PLAN.

nothing agenst you, we are all titled to our views and i respect your opinions

dizzylizzy
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM

"Most part" means we must have missed something. Please let us know.

As for everything else, I stay away from debates. ^^

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 10:00 PM
it was just that the d grey men (the two guys) won singles, didnt quite understand that one, other then that you all were great

dizzylizzy
12-29-2006, 10:08 PM
it was just that the d grey men (the two guys) won singles, didnt quite understand that one, other then that you all were great

We actually had no idea there was a "group award" until, no joke, 2 minutes before the awards were given. We scrambled, gave Sonic the the "group" award since they were 1st place. We had no idea the other awards were "single" awards. We bumped everyone up accordingly. 2nd was now 1st, 3rd now second, and so forth. I hope that helps. Please do not fault us for that. ^^;; Like I had mentioned previously, there were many great costumers, it was a tough desicion.

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 10:10 PM
yeah its ok at least you told us what was up XD tx =3

dizzylizzy
12-29-2006, 10:13 PM
yeah its ok at least you told us what was up XD tx =3

No worries. Just as long as we're not asked why so-and-so won, it's all good. : )

animepimp
12-29-2006, 10:41 PM
1 i understand all that but at the same time, i think that setting up would commence at least 2 hours beore people would show up leaving a possable 4 hour time to set up and check sound, more then enough time in my eye. (2) if you've sold say 100 tickets, id say you would try to set up an area that was lets say 100 person frendly so that it isent blocking exits or any of the hotel works, that takes a look and an ask.

2 maybe the hotel wasent the best choice, maybe it was. but at the least would you say (again) "I have 100 tickets sold, so im only going to order ood or 100 people"? no, you over order, get enough or 150, and still put someone there to hand out the food, its simple for that. and its there choice to say "well we need to order the food by the 22nd but we will have the cut off date on the 24th" thats there fault, and should have at least guessed to how many people might sign up at the last min.

3 im sorry did they not say "she will now sing for you a song she sang in the naruto movie???" and like i said i had no hard feelings agens't her. and if there was a problem with her entrence then maybe they should have......idk...... TOLD US SOMETHING ABOUT HER other then think "boy she must not like us cuz shes makeing us cheer and cheer and cheer just to get her out there" adn who really reads the hand outs most of the time, maybe if i had it while i was in the stuped "moveing line" then i would have read it about 15 times.

4 i was talking about this "panel" they were haveing for the cosplayers in the "skits" during the signing/dance that lasted more then an hour.

but make sure you know to because if they tell you to "go on stage and be your character" before hand and then backstage there like "ok you all should do a skit, no more then 2 min." then u get on stage prepared to do a short skit and the person on stage is like "so how did you make ur costume....what....no you cant do a skit" that to me seems like the communication errior was within, and maybe a meeting before the con started might have helped.

*side note* Did you happen to even go to there last lil "event" that was thrown together at the store? the one DCAnime threw, all that was, was a "O l00k 1ts 0r c0w0k3r sh3 w1ns n0 m4tt4 wh4"

5 ok they want to call it a ball thats cool, but when you get there and there playing jay z, j rock, j rap, and breakbeat.....well i dont know what ball you've gone to but there normally classy. (2) the program said and i quote in its 16 times new roman font *ahem* "Dance" .......... u tell me man, u tell me.

and also in the "panel" they were having my friend asked why he wasent allowed to know what type of dance it was, where the man RUNNING the thing proceeded to JUMP down his throut and say "NO! I will not tell you what the dance is. We like to keep it a surprise, and were not going to have a rave just because you want it." I will point out his only questions was "Why wouldent you tell me what type of dance it was?" that was it, rave was never said.

And i was there for the dance, all 10 min then i was like.....ok theres no one here and my friends are in some forum, uhhh ill sit in the lobby and talk with other people and have FUN.

and for what there bringing next, well it wont be AMV's for damn sure

and id like to say that hallowcon went really well for its first year cuz we did one major part, PLAN.

nothing agenst you, we are all titled to our views and i respect your opinions

Excuse me?

Not to get off topic but.......

First off the Cosplay Party Thrown by DCAC was done farely.

The ones that one the contest were two little girls who have no affiliation with DCAC or the store.

I do not appreciate any negative words being said about DCAC Events as we even asked what people thought about our events via these very forums.

Chris W.
DCAC Prez.

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 10:56 PM
wasent about DCAC was about the store

animepimp
12-29-2006, 11:00 PM
wasent about DCAC was about the store

You said the one that DCAC threw.

So that is why I said what I said.

I apologies for any confusion.

Chris W.
DCAC Prez

Reiko
12-29-2006, 11:07 PM
glad to have met people there :)

much love, and much fun :)

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 11:08 PM
im sorry for makin it sound that way,didnt mean to

animepimp
12-29-2006, 11:10 PM
im sorry for makin it sound that way,didnt mean to
I'll tell you what.

I'll let it go if your willing too.

Let's pretend it did not happen.

Deal?

irkenmodelgir
12-29-2006, 11:20 PM
let what go

*wink*

animepimp
12-29-2006, 11:22 PM
let what go

*wink*
lol

BA143TRNT
12-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I really don't mean to offend anybody or sound rude in any way, so forgive me if my reply comes across as so.

"1 i understand all that but at the same time, i think that setting up would commence at least 2 hours beore people would show up leaving a possable 4 hour time to set up and check sound, more then enough time in my eye. (2) if you've sold say 100 tickets, id say you would try to set up an area that was lets say 100 person frendly so that it isent blocking exits or any of the hotel works, that takes a look and an ask."

Well, truth be told, as far as I know, they were already there setting up at 4:00 pm, 3 hours before doors were supposed to be open, but that doesn't stop things from going wrong, no matter what way you look at it. And I'd also heard from one of the people who worked behind the scenes that they had ordered the food for over 300 people, so if that's true, I don't think the food shortage had anything to do with them, but rather the guests who only thought about nothing more than themselves. And the person who was supposed to stand out there handing out food? That's up to the hotel from my own experience. And as long as you're in a hotel, it doesn't matter whether you have 20 or 200 people, if they block exits, they block exits. Groups of people are always harder to control, and the bigger they are, the worst they get, but no matter how large they are, when people get excited or worked up for any particular reason, it's not like they're gonna pay attention to safety hazards.

"2 maybe the hotel wasent the best choice, maybe it was. but at the least would you say (again) "I have 100 tickets sold, so im only going to order ood or 100 people"? no, you over order, get enough or 150, and still put someone there to hand out the food, its simple for that. and its there choice to say "well we need to order the food by the 22nd but we will have the cut off date on the 24th" thats there fault, and should have at least guessed to how many people might sign up at the last min."

Again, like I said, they'd ordered more than enough for everybody from what I'd heard. And I'll admit, I didn't really think a hotel was the place for a concert either, but you have to remember that you're dealing with a whole new experience here. I also agree with the problem about the cut off date, but my view is completely different. They way I see it is that they were way too nice to further that date, and they even kept their price low for longer than they had originally planned. Why? B/c people were being too cheap, and in my eyes, I find that entirely the people's faults and not the management's. The only fault they had in anything was actually bending their rules to please the crowd, and even then, people were still complaining. I honestly find that to be extremely selfish.

"3 im sorry did they not say "she will now sing for you a song she sang in the naruto movie???" and like i said i had no hard feelings agens't her. and if there was a problem with her entrence then maybe they should have......idk...... TOLD US SOMETHING ABOUT HER other then think "boy she must not like us cuz shes makeing us cheer and cheer and cheer just to get her out there" adn who really reads the hand outs most of the time, maybe if i had it while i was in the stuped "moveing line" then i would have read it about 15 times."

Once again, if everyone had been paying attention to the translator, she had added an introduction before every song she sang, telling the audience what it was and where it came from. And, again, as I stated in the previous post, everyone was already told everything about her when they signed up for the concert. So would you prefer constant repitition over information you already knew? If you don't read the handouts, that's your fault (although I admit they probably should have handed it out during the long wait in line). That's something that really gets to me, honestly. Like, if you're not willing to read everything that's written for you, and you don't ask questions before you get into something, then what right do you have to complain?? And everyone does it! People go to school and get educated for a reason. Please, do the world and yourself a favor and use that education to your advantage. Don't sit here and blame other people for your lack of ability to skim over a piece of paper.

"4 i was talking about this "panel" they were haveing for the cosplayers in the "skits" during the signing/dance that lasted more then an hour.
but make sure you know to because if they tell you to "go on stage and be your character" before hand and then backstage there like "ok you all should do a skit, no more then 2 min." then u get on stage prepared to do a short skit and the person on stage is like "so how did you make ur costume....what....no you cant do a skit" that to me seems like the communication errior was within, and maybe a meeting before the con started might have helped."

Oh yes, one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: Getting into character does not require a skit. If you're dressed up as, say, I don't know, Vincent from FFVII, for instance, and they ask you to get in character when you're in front of the crowd, that means they want you to walk onto the stage like them, look at the audience the way they would, answer questions the way they would. Not "be in character after we give you an okay for a skit." Walk up and do a good pose or something. Look the camera in the face and make the people feel like that character is REALLY there. That's really all there is to it.

Other than that, I have no idea what happened at the panel. I wasn't a contestant or anything so I really wouldn't know.

"*side note* Did you happen to even go to there last lil "event" that was thrown together at the store? the one DCAnime threw, all that was, was a "O l00k 1ts 0r c0w0k3r sh3 w1ns n0 m4tt4 wh4" "

Yes, I heard about that. I'd also heard that they caused a little problem right before the shuttle was scheduled to leave. I don't know what that's all about, but I don't care to get too involved in it either way.

"5 ok they want to call it a ball thats cool, but when you get there and there playing jay z, j rock, j rap, and breakbeat.....well i dont know what ball you've gone to but there normally classy. (2) the program said and i quote in its 16 times new roman font *ahem* "Dance" .......... u tell me man, u tell me."

A "Ball" in an old fashioned sense is yes, classy, but in this modern day and age, many old things tend to mean many new, different things. When someone says a dance, do you really have to ask what kind? It's a jpop/jrock concert with people dressed in either casual clothing or character costumes, so I'd think it would be a casual jpop type of dance. I mean, when someone tells me there's gonna be a dance at a concert, I think "okay, dance floor + casual clothing + cool music = casual dance." Nothing special. I really didn't have to ask the question at all, to tell you the truth. It all just seemed like common sense to me. *shrug*

"and also in the "panel" they were having my friend asked why he wasent allowed to know what type of dance it was, where the man RUNNING the thing proceeded to JUMP down his throut and say "NO! I will not tell you what the dance is. We like to keep it a surprise, and were not going to have a rave just because you want it." I will point out his only questions was "Why wouldent you tell me what type of dance it was?" that was it, rave was never said."

I'll admit, I met the man too, and he's a bit... interesting. He's lively and has a very straightforward personality, and personalities like that might not sit well with many people. And it does seem most of the time like he does jump down people's throats but that's not how it's really meant to sound. You have to admit though, everyone who goes to conventions (cosplayers and non-cosplayers alike) are too used to being given a 'rave,' so they tend to expect it at every anime-related event they go to. So I can understand his side of the argument, but I also agree that he probably shouldn't have gotten so passionate about it and overdone it like that, if he really did jump down the person's throat like that.

Besides that, I was at the dance for a while, and all my friends were in there so it seemed totally fine to me. Really, having fun is just a state of mind for the most part, so something like that is really just everything you're gonna make of it. If you want to have fun, you will. If you don't, you won't. It's really up to the individual.

Again, I apologize if any of this sounded rude or offensive in any way.

irkenmodelgir
12-30-2006, 12:00 AM
basically just a few points

hey way I see it is that they were way too nice to further that date, and they even kept their price low for longer than they had originally planned. Why? B/c people were being too cheap, and in my eyes, I find that entirely the people's faults and not the management's. The only fault they had in anything was actually bending their rules to please the crowd, and even then, people were still complaining. I honestly find that to be extremely selfish

I just wanna say to that, if i had actually payed like $40 some odd dollars for that i would demenad a chunk of it back because i dont beleave in anyway that it was totally worth that price, i ended up paying $35 for it and still feel a lil ripped off. It was based on timeing, planning, presentation, and quality. I felt lacking on all those points.

Once again, if everyone had been paying attention to the translator, she had added an introduction before every song she sang, telling the audience what it was and where it came from. And, again, as I stated in the previous post, everyone was already told everything about her when they signed up for the concert. So would you prefer constant repitition over information you already knew? If you don't read the handouts, that's your fault (although I admit they probably should have handed it out during the long wait in line). That's something that really gets to me, honestly. Like, if you're not willing to read everything that's written for you, and you don't ask questions before you get into something, then what right do you have to complain?? And everyone does it! People go to school and get educated for a reason. Please, do the world and yourself a favor and use that education to your advantage. Don't sit here and blame other people for your lack of ability to skim over a piece of paper.

ok i see what your getting at, now my friend signed me up since i live 3 hours away from that area, and i walked into that place not know who was even there, and im sure there were plenty of other people that didnt know eather. but if you say "Ok coming to the stage now is Mai" and you get silence and then she even asked "do you all even know who/where she is from/doing" that should be your cue to throw in a few hints. and i think any well educated person can understand that if you introduce some one and you get dead silence, save that persons guilt and give em respect.

Oh yes, one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post: Getting into character does not require a skit. If you're dressed up as, say, I don't know, Vincent from FFVII, for instance, and they ask you to get in character when you're in front of the crowd, that means they want you to walk onto the stage like them, look at the audience the way they would, answer questions the way they would. Not "be in character after we give you an okay for a skit." Walk up and do a good pose or something. Look the camera in the face and make the people feel like that character is REALLY there. That's really all there is to it.

did you really read the post man cuz i stated that they told them that they could do a skit like right before they went on, so yeah it does envolves a skit.

A "Ball" in an old fashioned sense is yes, classy, but in this modern day and age, many old things tend to mean many new, different things. When someone says a dance, do you really have to ask what kind? It's a jpop/jrock concert with people dressed in either casual clothing or character costumes, so I'd think it would be a casual jpop type of dance. I mean, when someone tells me there's gonna be a dance at a concert, I think "okay, dance floor + casual clothing + cool music = casual dance." Nothing special. I really didn't have to ask the question at all, to tell you the truth. It all just seemed like common sense to me. *shrug*

Ok heres common sense, go to a movie theater, give them cash and just say "any movie", dont look at the tickit, sit in the theater and wait for the surprise, do you really wanna waste $9 on something that might end upo being "Mary kate and ashlys olsons 89th adventure to someplace" hell no you wanna know what yoiur getting into. and would you show up to a funeral wearing baby blue, with lime green shoes if they just told you "Church event" people need information in order to conduct themselves to the right situation

You have to admit though, everyone who goes to conventions (cosplayers and non-cosplayers alike) are too used to being given a 'rave,' so they tend to expect it at every anime-related event they go to. So I can understand his side of the argument, but I also agree that he probably shouldn't have gotten so passionate about it and overdone it like that, if he really did jump down the person's throat like that.

AUSA Masked Ball they had it saturday night, you know what they played a lil old techno, and 80's music, i didnt hear rap, or rock, and people dressed like it was a ball, mostly, not like it was a rave and people noit only showed up, but enjoyed it, unlike what i saw a few night ago.

basically they put that s.a.g.e. on for, not only themselves, but just for there store. its two conventions being held at or held by AFX and every time i feel very ripped off and very much like im not haveing fun at all. so if i feel cheated because i end up spending a mass amount of money on an event that i sit there and only have fun with my friend than anything else there, hell i could do that for free.

animepimp
12-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes, I heard about that. I'd also heard that they caused a little problem right before the shuttle was scheduled to leave. I don't know what that's all about, but I don't care to get too involved in it either way.

Just to set the record straight it is always never a good idea to go by what you hear.

With all due respect the shuttle service was confusing to us and we wound up walking to the hotel.

Two of the shuttle services went right pass some people at the subway station and did not stop at all.

What I would suggest is have the drivers sit at the Subway Station for at least 5 mins with a BIG sighn saying AKIBAFEST. Similar to when you are picking someone up from the Airport.

No one shows up then leave.

Heck I for one did not even know what the scion was going to look like even with the description given.

People also could have missed the last subway station as well.
I brought this up to the hard working folks of Akibfest yesterday.

Chris W.
DCAC Prez.

Bagu
12-30-2006, 11:01 AM
From reading all the aftermath posts, I'm disappointed that it seems like there is more bad than good. The main point seems to be "disorganization."

I hope next years (if they do it) will be better, or Gai does a cosplay party in December that completely owns this....

dizzylizzy
12-30-2006, 01:59 PM
From reading all the aftermath posts, I'm disappointed that it seems like there is more bad than good. The main point seems to be "disorganization."

People usually hear the bad about things and never the good. Just turn on the news and you'll see just that. People feed of negativity it seems now-adays. No one ever "Wants" to hear the good. They love to hear the bad. It's why talk shows, reality shows, news, and so on are so popular. That's an observation for a debate that we won't get into on this thread.

I personally enjoyed the entire event. I went to the meet and greet ealier in the day. It was nice meetign them and having them there to answer questions. Getting to know them better, basically. I barely had any idea who either were and that helped a lot.

As for the event, I LOVED being a part of the cosplay stuff. It was so great talkign to everyone and meeting new peeps. It's so hard at conventions, at least for me, to meet new people since I'm running around with skit stuff or other events. This event let me do that.

I did miss the Mai concert. Myself and the other 2 judges were deliberating.

I had a chance to see most of the Unicorn Table concert. They were very entertaining. I myself have never been one for any music from Japan. It's just not my thing, BUT they did put on a great show. Very entergetic. They kept the crowd pumped.

I did miss the food except for a couple of those egg roll things. I did have some nice fruit though in the cosplay judging room. : )

OH! No one seemed to mention that Discover Channel was there filming. ^^ They interviewed a number of the cosplayers, attendees, and so on. They were extremely happy with the event and so was Scion.

Overall, the event, once started, moved well. There were no lulls. Here's hoping next time the sound check man doesn't hit 495/95 traffic. I've hit it before while going down there. I left 3 hours early one time (even though it's an hour away) and STILL was late. Poor guy left all sorts of early and still hit that evil traffic. As for the MC, it's her first time doing anything like this and did pretty well.

Hooray for many doorprizes!!!

Hooray for the energy that I personally saw in the event. A lot of people seemed to be really enjoying the event. It's all up to you if you let yourself have some fun. That's always why I have fun at every con or event I go to. I never let the little things bother me. At the end of the day, it's not worth my time. Ya know what I mean?

I absolutely had fun. (And this is coming from someone who was stuck in a room with everyone else. Didn't get barely any food, and didn't go to the dance. ^^) I will definately go next time.

If I wasn't "Stuck" in that room, I would have NEVER had the chance to talk to all of the wonderful cosplayers in there as well.

The eggrolls made me giggle and much fun was had discussing them.

See? It's all about how you perceive things. Stay positive and your outlook is positive.

ANYHOW! That's just me. ^^;; Happy go lucky Lizzy. Always having fun no matter what.

The Element
12-30-2006, 04:54 PM
I had ALOT of problems. This is how i see it. it cost me 30-40 bucks....thats almost as much as otakon....yet....there was nothing. i had 3 meat on a stick things (and as a chef i can say they werent that good), most of the time i was forced to stay in a room away from most of my friends.

and say what you want...that it was a cosplay gathering event...whatever. It was a con. a small con. the only thing it was missing was public anime veiwing and AMVs....but both of those things "Hurt the industry" If it looks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck....its a duck.....no matter how much it sucked (oh wow...and i was a poet and didnt even know it!)

All i know is i drove down from philadelphia for this con....CON. I spent money on the way down, the way up and 30-40 bucks on the ticket. and what do i get? 3 meat sticks. Even if i knew who the girl singing was or i liked what kinda of (30 minute random secret rap-ball-random ) dance they held i was too busy being stuck in rooms the whole time because "i was part of the show".....if i was part of the show, i should be getting in for free.

The only fun i had was when i was with my friends either A. in the hallway talking or B. at Ihop when the con ended. There was basicly nothing to do. It was just a way to pump up the store. "And dont forget to buy this stuff" "Remember....buy this stuff!" and basicly half the talk the cosplayers that were in the contest got was "dont buy from best buy....buy from your local anime stores becuase if you dont the terrorists win *wink wink*"

it was very weak. I doubt ill be going next year.

Bagu
12-30-2006, 05:02 PM
People usually hear the bad about things and never the good. Just turn on the news and you'll see just that. People feed of negativity it seems now-adays. No one ever "Wants" to hear the good. They love to hear the bad. It's why talk shows, reality shows, news, and so on are so popular. That's an observation for a debate that we won't get into on this thread.

You do have a point. I sure there were plenty of good things. Let's hope next years go smoother.

teoka
01-01-2007, 10:51 AM
...I don't know about you all, but I had fun! So many laughs! XDDD

JonnyStarwind, much thanks to you for putting up with my friends' and my fangirling! XD It'll be an inside joke for time to come!

NiceGai, thanks for getting the Sonic plushie to my sister! ^_^ I'll bring it by Katsu for a visit!

Skyline Kyo, cool license plate! XD Our offer still stands for Sango's bra; our collection is NEARLY COMPLETE!

I apologize if my friends and I bugged you. ^^;;;;; We went insane, but hey, it happens.

Although I do wanna ask around - was anyone else harassed by that crosseyed guy with the camera? :\ He kept asking to have pictures taken of me. Even when I said no, he still took one. There was also some other guy hanging around my friends and me while we were waiting in line. He kept looking at us...><***

I'll see you all at Katsucon,
Teoka

irkenmodelgir
01-01-2007, 02:28 PM

JonnyStarwind, much thanks to you for putting up with my friends' and my fangirling! XD It'll be an inside joke for time to come!

NiceGai, thanks for getting the Sonic plushie to my sister! ^_^ I'll bring it by Katsu for a visit!

Skyline Kyo, cool license plate! XD Our offer still stands for Sango's bra; our collection is NEARLY COMPLETE!

I apologize if my friends and I bugged you. ^^;;;;; We went insane, but hey, it happens.

Although I do wanna ask around - was anyone else harassed by that crosseyed guy with the camera? :\ He kept asking to have pictures taken of me. Even when I said no, he still took one. There was also some other guy hanging around my friends and me while we were waiting in line. He kept looking at us...><***

Teoka

it was cool seein you guys again but you neva said hey ;-; i was the pink kiba at the PvN dance off =P

and say hey to queen haku for me, i was her "counterpart" for the chess game at anime usa i was itchigo =3, anyway later

teoka
01-01-2007, 02:52 PM
it was cool seein you guys again but you neva said hey ;-; i was the pink kiba at the PvN dance off =P

and say hey to queen haku for me, i was her "counterpart" for the chess game at anime usa i was itchigo =3, anyway later

I remember you; you were wearing the Kon hat! Shoot, I should've said "hi," but I'm a shy person. *is actually an idiot* ^^;;;;

Well, hope to see you at Katsu, too! The pirates are GOIN' DAHWN!! >D

NiceGai44
01-02-2007, 07:59 AM

Teoka

U guys are my fav Deidara and Haku ever. You guys made me laugh at the Chess game. It was good to see you guys again. Me and Bagu have been trying to meet up for ages now so I can give him that plushie to give to your sister. It was destiny that you guys showed up. Hope to see you guys at Katsu.

The Element
01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
All hail! Anime Side! long live queen Haku!

--White Rook, Roy Mustang

JonnyStarwind
01-04-2007, 02:30 AM

Teoka

No problem.
All love the French Tickler!!

But back to the subject at hand.
I had an awesome time at AkibaFest.
Sure, there were some problems, "some" being really stressed.
But for this being the first year of the event,
I give them credit for getting as much done as they did.
The costumes were insanely good.

KJScion
01-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Hey Everybody. Sorry its taken me so long to post here. I've had a hard time registering. I'm the guy from the Scion dealership and the food issue falls directly in my lap. That was our part of sponsoring this event and we really learned a lot.

Part of the problem was a budgeting thing. I could only spend so much money and the desire was to get food that matched the event. Unfortunately, that meant very expensive food. We couldn't get food from Costco. Everything had to be from the hotel catering service.

Next time, we will not be so concerned about California rolls and Terriaki chicken and will get whatever puts the most food on the tables for the best price. We will also have one serving of food. By breaking it up, there was less available each time. We'll have one serving with lots more food so we don't have a repeat of this one.

Sorry to all who missed out on the food.

The next thing we learned is that this was an awesome event for us be involved. Scion corporate wants its dealerships hosting and participating in events that cater to their target market and you all fit the bill perfectly. Not only that, but almost everybody was polite, happy and very positive. There is absolutely no question that we'll be involved with you in the future. I may not be part of the anime' or cosplay culture, but I'll make sure my dealership supports you guys in these events.

This event went so well for us that I'm talking to the corporate Scion people about getting involved with other anime and cosplay events in the region. If we can get them sponsoring things, there's no worries about budgets and food. Scion really does things first class. I'll update you all as I get more information on this.

Thanks again to everybody who showed up and made this a unique experience. Kay Jennings Springfield Scion will absolutely be seeing you again. Thanks also to Amine' FX for organizing and hosting this event. Austell pulled off something amazing and he deserves all the credit.

Kilmarac
01-08-2007, 09:31 PM
I just want to say that I had a blast at the AkibaFest. It was a really fun event, and I enjoyed seeing Mai and Unicorn Table. Sure the event had its glitches, but what events dont? Ive yet to go toa concert that starts exactly when its supposed to. Or a theatre production that starts right on time. Even the cons around here dont work like clockwork. Changes happen, things get missed, and last minute ideas come up. Take that from the guy that got added to the AnimeUSA schedule on friday night to do a live Radio Internet broadcast from the event the next day.

As one of the "D-Grey Men" that were there, I want to tell those here that we were just as shocked at winning. We stood there and watched sonic win, looked at each other and said "Oh well, were out... it was fun!" then stood there stunned when we were told we won first place. Somehow I doubt anyone would have turned it down were they in our positions. Besides, it gave us some money to buy things both at the convention, and at the store.

From what I understand from the postings here, the "group winner" was a last minute idea. Personally, I dont think having a pair win in a single catagory is a big deal. I dont see 2 people as a "group" per say, but I do understand the frustration some might have had.

I want to say that the other cosplayers looked fantastic, and I look forward to seeing you guys at other cons and events.

I look forward to the next Akibafest event, even if I have to fly cross country for it.

Oh... SCION! When you guys get an SUV style, let me know. I just really do not like sitting on the road when I drive :reverse:

Kilmarac
01-16-2007, 12:56 AM
BTW....

If anyone got pictures of us, could you get in touch with me? We found we didnt get any of ourselves from the whole night.

Thanks.