PDA

View Full Version : Flute playing characters

RCLeo
11-30-2006, 03:11 PM
I play the flute, quite well I might add. I'd like to use this talent to enhance a cosplay. I'm trying to drum up a list of characters that play a flute in whatever anime or game. Unfortunately, I don't read as much manga as I'd like to, so... my list is a bit sparse... which is where all of you jump in d^^b

My list so far:
Games:
Link Zelda series Ocarina
Saria, Zelda, and Impa Ocarina of Time Ocarina
Majora Majora's Mask Ocarina?
Bard from FFXI (I play one ^^)
Eiko FF9
Edward? FF4 (stupid spoony bard with his harp...)
Killvurn, the shinigami Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibôken Flute/Scythe <.<
Bard Bard's tale -.-...
Alex Lunar Silver Star Story
Ghaleon Lunar Silver Star Story
Dragonmaster Dyne Lunar Silver Star Story
Frog~ Chrono Trigger
Zhen ji Dynasty Warriors

Manga/Anime:
Trowa Gundam Wing
Quatre Gundam Wing Violin
Alan/Ali/Seijuuro Ginga Sailor Moon R
Paruru Sailor Moon
Poupelin Sailor Moon SuperS movie
Amiboshi Fushigi Yuugi
Tayuya Naruto
Sasuke Naruto
Apollo Zatch Bell/Konjiki no Gash Bell
Enma Ai Jigoku Shoujo
Kouga Gennosuke Basilisk
Arukenimon/Archnemon Digimon 02
Sizer Violinist of Hameln Flute/Scythe o_O?
Yunoki Azuma La Corda d'Oro
Fuyuumi Shoko La Corda d'Oro Clarinet
Sugar Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar
Sakura and Shaoran CardCaptors Sakura Recorder
Miyu Vampire Princess Miyu
Sai Hikaru no Go

Hogwart's band Goblet of Fire One man band ^^;

Songs:
Frog's Theme Chrono Trigger
Misc Final Fantasy songs
Misc Zelda songs
Alan's Flute song Sailor Moon

Thanks everyone ^^

nevershutsupkat
11-30-2006, 03:19 PM
bummer.. you already got the only character i can think of... trowa from GW.

thats kind of a hard one... hmm...sorry, i dunno any others

but thats awesome you play the flute! i played when i was in middle school and half of high school.. i pick it up sometimes to make sure i dont forget.. but all i have now to play are piano parts of anime themes and etc...

good luck with the list!

Scoti
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
1) Amiboshi From Fushigi Yuugi
2) Tayuya from Naruto

That's all I can think of right now.

CherryBomb
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Amiboshi (sp?).. from Fushigi Yugi! Thats all he does is play that stupid flute!

EDIT:Crap! Three people said it at the same time!...and i was last :(

Michi
11-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Haha, I deleted mine because all three of us named Amiboshi at the same time, but I guess it shows emphasis regarding how well known he is!

Scoti
11-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Haha, I deleted mine because all three of us named Amiboshi at the same time, but I guess it shows emphasis regarding how well known he is!

You must have all deleted at the same time too because I didn't see it mentioned when I posted XDD

_YukiShu_
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
ah I was thinking of Trowa and Amiboshi too

Paruru from Sailor Moon movie

I think Apollo from Zatch Bell/Konjiki no Gash Bell plays the flute

Volnixshin
11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I play the Ocarina very well.

GabrielDarkhawk
11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Enma Ai from Jigoku Shoujo.
Poupelin from the Sailor Moon SuperS movie.

Gabriel_Kaine
11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Kouga Gennosuke from Basilisk plays the flute. If you haven't heard of it, it is an adaptation of Shinobi, ninjas, fuedal japan, very cool. As an added bonus he can make people kill themselves just by looking at them.
Wiki info about the series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk:_The_Kouga_Ninja_Scrolls)

Gwydion
11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Arukenimon/Archnemon from Digimon 02 ^_^;;

Alternist
11-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Well (and this is a bad idea but whatever...)...

The fallback option of cosplay for musical instruments is the Hogwarts band from Goblet of Fire. I've done that a couple times, although it works best if you have a slightly unusual looking instrument (I play mellophone; fits right in). You could go get one of those curved head-joints (http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_europe/uk/10_musical_instruments/20_orchestra/10_woodwind/20_flutes/97_flute_headjoints/FHJ_200U/index.html) for your flute, that'd make it look more then sufficiently strange to be a hogwarts band instrument.

The best of the best of course for a Hogwarts band costume are the rare 4 and 5 valve 2 bell euphoniums (http://www.brasszone.com/images/b373front.JPG), which were common in the early 20th century.

XGargoyle
11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Killvurn, the shinigami from Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibôken

His scythe is a flute as well

Prodigiosus
11-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Alex
Ghaleon
Dragonmaster Dyne
All from Lunar Sliver Star Story game.

Rip Van Winkle
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Sizer from Violinist of Hameln.

Only thing I could see being a problem is the fact that the flute is actually her scythe...

Usachan
11-30-2006, 07:43 PM
-Seijuuro Ginga/Ail from SailorMoon R plays a flute. ^_~

Kuro Yue
11-30-2006, 07:58 PM
It's not canon per se, but in some anime images, Sasuke (Naruto) plays the flute.

pentharis
11-30-2006, 08:15 PM
The bard from the bard's tale? he also plays the lute!

Sorry if there's somthing wrong with how I post or somthing, I'm pretty new and have no real idea how to use this site, I'm hardly....NEVER. I'm NEVER on. :untrust: but I'm always on the internet! :chatah:

AkinaSumora
11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
There's a new manga series in America (it's a new anime in Japan right now) called La Corda d'Oro. It's very musical, and there's a girl in it that plays the flute. I forget her name though.

EDIT: Or are you only looking for guys? Most if not all the characters already named are guys...

Meiki
11-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Sugar from Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar plays the flute!

RCLeo
11-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Thanks a bunch everyone ^^.
Naming female characters isn't a big deal, maybe it'll inspire a female to take out her flute and serenade the masses too :D... or at the very least provide some reference for other flute players.

But wow on the Sugar from Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar thing. lololololol If I ever, ever crossplay, totally getting a pink wig and a dress and... yeah :D

mirrorsaber
11-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Other characters like Saria, Zelda, and Impa from the Ocarina of Time play the ocarina from the Zelda series, which is similar to a flute. So does Majora (scarecrow kid) from Majora's Mask.

In one episode of Cardcaptor Sakura, Sakura and Shaoran had to play a recorder for a music test, a type of flute.

I think Edward from FFIV plays a harp, not a flute.

Blaze
12-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Sugar from Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar plays the flute!

Hey ! that was my idea ! :bigcry: NOW I CAN'T NAME SOMEONE NEW! Hehe.

Gwydion
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Thought of another (though she is female) - Miyu from Vampire Princess Miyu

And since someone else mentioned something of this nature, Sai from Hikaru no Go never actually plays a flute in the series but he is often shown with one in random illustrations for the manga, and I think the anime as well.

Celeborn
12-01-2006, 02:11 PM
He doesn't actually play, but Frog from Chrono Trigger has a well-known theme which is played on flute. If you learned the theme and played it in that costume, I daresay people would find it rather nifty. :)

Rip Van Winkle
12-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Sizer Violinist of Hameln Flute/Scythe o_O?

Well, think of it like this....the shaft of the scythe is the flute. Sizer holds it up to her mouth with the blade away from her at the opposite end, and she plays a sort of 'magical' music that can be used to summon Valkyries to her aid. I suppose it'd be kinda tough to pull off if you're only looking for a real regular flute =P

AkinaSumora
12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
...I actually screwed up, the character in La Corda d'Oro is a guy, but he does play flute. I think his name is Yunoki Azuma. He has long purple hair, if you look up any pics.

The girl, Fuyuumi Shoko, plays clarinet.

eternalglade
12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Hmm...only other character I can think of who hasn't already been mentioned is Eiko from FFIX. ^_^

Kawaiichibiyana
12-02-2006, 03:12 PM
I dunno if someone already said it but "Zhen ji" From the game Dynasty warriors plays a flute.

RCLeo
12-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Does anyone want to suggest some tunes? I'm not familliar with all the anime out there, so... yup, going to need the help of more versed people again.

Probably more for my own interest than to randomly perform at a convention. I'm not too sure if I want to do that just yet, but I suppose I have quite awhile before the big conventions around Toronto start up and have to decide. If I get bored before then, I'll probably stick them on youtube if I figure they're good enough.

So if you could suggest some tunes and specifically the name of the song so I can search for a midi, sheet music PDF/GIF/JPG, or finale notepad file. Or I could just watch more anime... Hmmmm... Doesn't have to be specific to any of the characters listed on the list, however if there's a song that's not obviously linked to one of the characters listed, please note it :).

Thanks again everyone :D

Etsu
12-03-2006, 11:55 AM
http://ichigos.com/sheets - This site has some flute sheet music. The series that has them are .hack//Liminality, .hack//SIGN, Air, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy XI, Fushugi Yuugi, Record of Lodoss War, Sailor Moon

Kuro Yue
12-03-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.alphatrance.com/0engine/music/anime/master-index.php

This is a master index of sheet music on the web. It doesn't direct-link to the music (as is said at the top of the page), but at least it sends you to the site where you can find it.

Happy hunting. :3

Usachan
12-03-2006, 08:55 PM
http://www.animegalleries.net/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=Flute

This is a gallery of some misc pictures and some that have characters such
as Sasuke playing the flute. All these pictures are pretty and make nice avatars.

mirrorsaber
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Just thought of another one,

Tapion (however you spell his name) and his brother Minotia from the 13th DBZ movie both play the ocarina. I still think to this day they were rip offs of Link. :P

Oh, and Majora is called Skull Kid. He just wears a mask called Majora's Mask. Its been awhile since I have played it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora%27s_Mask_characters#Sk ull_Kid

And the episode where Sakura and Shaoran plays the recorder is called "Sakura's Never Ending Day". Tomoyo also plays the recorder.

As far as music goes, you can go to the Piano Squall forums and ask around for help on finding music or composing.

Ironekilz
12-04-2006, 02:29 PM
I know you don't plan on crossplaying, but I thought of another one no one mentioned: Pharangese from Heroic Legend of Arislan/Arislan Senki.

xblackatx
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
The first one that came to my mind was Amiboshi. I was considering cosplaying him since I play flute myself. But, I dun know....we will see I suppose....I have so many other costumes I have to get to first. ^.^

sacredtrainer
02-18-2007, 08:38 PM
1.sasuke does not play the flute
2.tabion from DBZ plays the ocarnia

i say apollo would be your best bet.

london2191
02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm too lazy to read through to see if it's been mentioned, but there's that Allen kid in Sailor Moon: Doom Tree Series. -noddynod-

phantomthief
02-19-2007, 03:48 PM
... The green/white/silver (Whatever Tommy was! XD) poweranger from the first series?

"I'LL SUMMON THE DRAGONZORD TO HELP US OUT!" *plays something on his flute... dagger... thing*

Ichigo has a wonderful flute/violin/iano arrangement for "Time Scar"/"Time's Scar"/"The Scar of Time" from Chrono cross. That song was the reason I chose to play flute in middle school and just recently I played it at our band's Christmas concert. Not a hard song at all, but very fun!

~Ari-chan

KillaBeeSwarm
02-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Doesn't Goemon from Lupin III play the flute? I could be sadly mistaken.

Kuro Yue
02-19-2007, 07:04 PM
1.sasuke does not play the flute

As I remember making that suggestion in the first place. . .

Sasuke does not play the flute at any time during the series. However, he is depicted in some official anime art AND in Masashi Kishimoto's artbooks playing one. This is why I suggested it, and it is also precisely why I have plans to play my own flute while cosplaying as Sasuke.

sacredtrainer
02-20-2007, 06:20 PM
As I remember making that suggestion in the first place. . .

Sasuke does not play the flute at any time during the series. However, he is depicted in some official anime art AND in Masashi Kishimoto's artbooks playing one. This is why I suggested it, and it is also precisely why I have plans to play my own flute while cosplaying as Sasuke.

cool.i'm also going to be cosplaying as sasuke.:)