PDA

View Full Version : Poses to Help with the Tummy!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
12-05-2006, 05:15 PM
I am intrested in taking tons of pictures with some of my planned costumes. The only problem is they are mostly stomach reveling outfits. I am no way skinny, but i am not fat either. (for an idea of my weight, check my gallery. My DoC Yuffie costume picture taken by Kevin Lillard gives a good example of the problem.) My stomach looks big when posed to the side versus to the front. The only problem with that is the fact that if i plan to do a photoshoot then poses to the front are not all that i will do! lol.

My question is this:
To the photographers and cosplayers out there:
What poses should i try?
Besides dieting (which seems to be the number one answer...) are their poses that can be done that still look good without the stomach pudge?
What poses should i stay away from?

(i also hope this is the right section to post this. i thought maybe because photographers may have had models with problems like this they would be able to help. if this is not the right section, will a mod please move the thread. thank you)

SakuraPrincess
12-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Ouch! We all hate when that happens.

I would suggest that youshould stay away from sitting stances. Those always "hurt" me, although I am skinny.

mylovestory
12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't say "try dieting" right away.
Maybe just do come crunches everynight to help tighten up your ab muscles before the con

Kukkii-san
12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
this is the best advice i know:

http://www.limebarbcosplay.com/tipspose.html

as the grrrls say, always tilt your hip towards the camera. i think you should avoid both front and side poses. bending your back / spine a little is also a good idea, but don't hold your breath too obviously (like, drawing in your tummy completely *lol* this looks stupid).

and doing things with your legs & arms (like crossing your legs slightly, bending one knee, literally filling the room with your arms...) also looks good and distracts from your body *lol* i mean, if you keep your arms to your body all the time, it will look big. show your waistline & the curves of your body! (but judging from your gallery, you already know about this stuff^^ your yuffie poses look so lively!)

you may also try some creative poses that focus more on the back view, your face, or an uncommon perspective and setting. these may not show your whole costume, but they're cool shots^^ um, something like Lulu's "game-over" pose from the shoot in my gallery, for example. try to experiment a bit, it's cool you have the opportunity to have pictures taken of several of your costumes!

staereo
12-05-2006, 10:30 PM
The human eye wants to see geometry. It likes angles and defined shapes.

Let the eye find those shapes in places you prefer. Where you put the shapes, the viewers eyes will go. Use this to control the attention in your pose.

Try to stay 3/4 to the camera, and rather than suck in, gently flex your abdomen, pulling your tummy in. DO NOT SUCK IT IN, bad bad bad. Not extreme pulling, just lightly flex it in. Place your weight on one foot, it will reshape and slim your shape, favoring one hip. Try to keep your back straight and your shoulders back, practice this against a wall, so you gan see what it feels like to have your back and shoulders all against the wall at the same time.

Lean a little bit back, and consider raising your elbows above your shoulders in various poses, depending on your clothing.

Don't eat before you expect to have your pictures taken.

If I get a chance Ill post some reference images and go into more detail in the next few days.

Bruce

lathspell
12-06-2006, 11:50 PM
I like this thread. Thanks for the tips! I'm in the same situation, Jessi-Chan.

*Shiva*
12-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Also, good posture (when standing or sitting) is important. Slouching or allowing your spine to curve too much forward (which is many people's natural standing position) causes your stomach to pooch out. This doesn't mean you have to be ramrod straight, but hold your shoulders up and keep your back strong, which will keep your tummy in place.

Elendriel
12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
This is a great thread. I definitely need help in this area....I've got a few costumes that show my midsection and I'm pretty self-conscious about it

Wrath, Penelo (doesn't show midsection but still shows all the curves and the stomach), Fran (I think I'm nuts for even wearing this hahah j/k ;) I love her) and Thief Yuna

those are the costumes I have that cause issues

When I was Thief Yuna at AWA '06, I always kept my shoulders back, my back straight (in a comfortable yet very good posture way) and that really helped keep my stomach flat. (I had also worked out a TON before hand.. but still, we always need to fudge the camera :D ) Also, I noticed when I'd do something with my arms above my head, my stomach was flatter

Good luck!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
12-08-2006, 07:48 PM
wow!!! you guys have great ideas!!!! i love you all *kisses* Im copying and pasting all this so i can print it, tape it to a mirror, and try all these ideas ^_^ thanks everyone. keep the tips coming

SakuraPrincess
12-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, there isn't much more. With doing crunches before hand, trying to avoid sitting poses, walking with good posture, not "sucking in" but flexing your abbs and balancing your weight, and a few of the other tips, you should be good to go! ^_^

CherryBomb
12-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Great Thread!! I love this stuff!!

I don't know If this helps the tummy or not, but it helps with my big booty and thick thighs: Don't put any weight on the leg closest to the camera when standing at an angle. Put all of your weight on the less visible leg and tap or point your other foot in front of you lightly so your muscles aren't flexing. If you keep your back straight it will disguise the poof in the front of the belly.

Also, High heels help a great deal as well, giving you better posture and elongating your body. If the costume doesn't have heels , Oh well, stick 'em on anyways!

If you are able to squeeze your abs flat, I think posing with your head leaning into the camera is pretty cute. It makes your head big, but the rest of your body seem smaller. Just don't let your belly hang or that will look horrible..

ALWAYS get into the habit of keeping your abs tight all the time. Your muscles will get used to it and stay tight without you even thinking about it!

piratesflower
12-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm in photo shoots for some modeling agency's and what they tell us to do is to keep at a 3/4 degree angle and maintain good posture. If your concernd about a certain costume, I suggest maybe practicing infront of a mirror befor you decide on what you want to do so you know what looks good or not. And remeber, smile! a quick tip on smiling, try to laugh at something when you are smiling because it'll make you look more natural, you know what I mean? That way you look like your having a good time,and you'll feel like it to!

Koryuu
12-27-2006, 10:53 PM
I've always been told that dieting isn't such a good idea. You will lose fat...but you'll lost it from your chest instead of your tummy and thighs. Thighs and stomachs have a different and more long-term type of fat than the fat in your chest.

Also, after you do crunches, make sure to lie on your back for a while, holding your stomach muscles in and your spine flat to the ground. This will help train your muscles to stay in a nice flat position, instead of just making them stronger.

This post turned out to be more about losing weight than photography, but I hope you find it useful anyway...I was just worried about the fact that people were telling you to diet.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
12-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Koryuu: I do agree it's more about losing weight. I do wish there were other ways...But i have found some useful tips in the posts that do not contain the words "losing" and "weight" and "diet"

Biscuit
12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
great thread! very helpful!!

twinkie
12-30-2006, 01:21 PM
My sister (who hates anime... T-T) has somewhat of the same problem when she does her myspace pictures. She goes 3/4 angles to make it look right. Or you could always suck in you tummy, but make sure it looks relaxed and not like this :
http://www.wherescherie.com/uploads/00013628.jpg

Enk
12-30-2006, 02:12 PM
also if you are showing tummy, avoid twisting poses or place your arm on your hip. Practise in front of a mirror to give yourself an idea of what you will look like. Pictures taken from a higher level than what you are standing or sitting helps create an illusion of a slimmer body as well. I am very tall and my friends are very short... that leads to a lot of "wow I look pregnant and have seven chins" shots. Draw attention to the costume rather than your body. There are a hundred ways you can do that, which is why I believe that you, your favourite tunes and a full length mirror will work wonders.

Also, this is a trick I learned while doing an all nighter watching junk on TV, apparently before the Oscars or any big award ceremony, a lot of actors (especially of the female variety) will wrap themselves in cellophane (or a sauna belt) a couple of hours before they have to wear their costume and they sweat out about an inch or so. It's really a neat trick if you need to lose a tiny bit of water weight to make the costume fit a little better or to just shrink and tighten a bit. All you do is lose water weight.

lunaladyoflight
12-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Suck it in, that's all I have to say.

Daitenshi
12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
If you want to look slim a 3/4 pose is your best friend. Make sure to have good posture and place the majority of your weight on the back foot.

Practice posing in front of a mirror before you head out in costume at a con. Figure out what looks best, then close your eyes and focus on what that pose feels like so that it will come naturally to you once you're in front of the camera.

stillvisions
12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
The 3/4 body pose (with head back towards camera) works well. It also allows a posing "cheat" where you use an arm/sleeve/prop to cover the midsection-to-hip that's further from the camera. In other words, if you're standing/sitting with your right hip closer to the camera, your left arm or sleeve covers your left side, which lets you cheat the camera by not showing where that side ends. Sleeves or a prop help to make this look more natural.

Sitting poses, I find, are a bit more awkward; lean forward and everyone's stomach gets pushed out, lean backward and perspective makes your body much bigger than your head. Stay upright and cheat/cover the sides if you feel the need.

Tense the ab muscles, but don't suck in; it's usually easy to notice and calls attention to the place you're trying to de-emphasize.

It also goes without saying to fit your costume appropriate to your body type, but that's a matter for other sections of c.c

Most of all, relax, and try not to sweat it; we look the way we do, and the best thing is to be comfortable with our own size (which, if you're healthy, is all you need) :)

Just a few random points, mostly covered by others in this thread.

pinkusakurachan
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
lay on your stomach!!!!!

mizuhaki
01-04-2007, 03:04 PM
lay on your stomach!!!!!

xD; ...

Firana
01-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I've always been told that dieting isn't such a good idea. You will lose fat...but you'll lost it from your chest instead of your tummy and thighs. Thighs and stomachs have a different and more long-term type of fat than the fat in your chest.

Actually, Gravity affects the fat and you lose whats up top before if finally reaches your thighs. And please! DON'T crash diet!!!! You will get skinnier, but that is all water weight!!!:eek:

Buunbuun
01-04-2007, 05:06 PM
This is a really helpful forum because I'll be doing a Priestess Yui outfit which does have a lot of tummy exposure... I was wondering if there was just a few sitting poses out there, there has to be!

How about a sitting pose where bending a little back like you're taking in the sun? Or how about a sitting pose where you stretch your uppersection toward the camera so that your tummy stretches a bit?

I am determined to find a sitting pose that compliments the midsection! *Determination pose*

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
BuunBuun: i would like a sitting pose too! Or a crouching pose...but it seems near impossible (i tried a couple out today, in costume)

Raezyn101
01-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Sitting poses are worst nightmares, but the poses when you outstretch your legs to either side(not splits, but a..more Kingdom Heart keyblade pose) seem to be as close to good as I can get.

I'm really self-concious and so I used to put my shoulders forward(The kind of look that was...Uhh..Hard to explain. Imagine some really shy anime character with glasses always bending over her books. Not thug-ish. xD) and keep my stomach tight...I've gotten out of the shoulder habit..but my stomach is always tight in now unless I'm completely out of it(tired) or sitting down...

Thanks for all the tips, though! Can't wait to try them~

MiSa0_mAkiMacHi
01-08-2007, 01:47 AM
;__; ahh! I'm so glad there's a thread like this around! Ever since last year, I've found myself to be doing nothing but costumes that involve showing my midriff (I wasn't planning it.. it just turned out that way..) These suggestions help greatly. I wish I knew all this before I cosplayed Meroko last year.. >.> rawr.

dressdragn
01-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I've got this problem too, and there is alot you can do to minimise it's effects.

First, make sure you costumes fit you correctly esp if they show belly. To tight pants/skirt will cause 'overhang'.

Before the shoot, cut back slighly on liquids if you tend to retain watter, don't eat to many complex protiens that can cause bloating.

Standing poses, 3/4ths shoots are usualy flattering, espicaly if you don't put to much weight on your foward leg. Also, you can emphisise what shape you do have by putting one bent arm on your hips.

Sitting poses are slightly more difficult, I find leaning back with my arms behind me suporting my weight with a realitvly strait back is pretty good. Also I think shooting from the side is more flattering then strait on sitting poses.

Laying down poses. Well, you can always lie on your tummy. I've got a little trick for this that works pretty well, with my legs strait I lift my feet about an inch or two off the ground wich tightens my abs (as if you were doing a leg lift). Usualy it dosen't show in photos if you feet are only a tiny bit off the floor.

Also it helps if your working with a photographer your conftrable with. Then you can ask what they are seeing and make adjustments.

~Anna

Visual Prince
01-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm going to be Namine this coming AX...so obviously I'll be doing a lot of sitting poses (i'd assume anyway...with the infamous drawing poses)

Even when I sit up straight I still got this lil'...roll goin' on. ^^;;; Any suggestions?

It's kinda hard. I take shots there (i'm diabetic) so it's got this wierd slightly swollen effect (according to my doctor)...Blah. >_>;

Morluna
01-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I would do mostly standing poses, and be sure to stand straight up, with your chest out and lengthening your waist as much as possible. It makes you look thinner.

Rostao
01-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Though I'm not sure how much this will help, here are a few things I can suggest and maybe it's repeated somewhere.

Posture is key. Alot of people focus too much on overhang and yes do focus on sucking in their stomach. Instead, focus on your back and pulling your shoulder blades together. This will not only make your chest pop out, but it will help elongate your spine so the any belly baggage will be spread vertically instead of hanging in the lower spot. (yes it will still hang, but it does help)
If you're having trouble with the shoulder blade thingy, point your thumps outward as if you're pointing your thumbs to point at a person if they were at your side. This will help you get the idea on how to pull your shoulders back. Rounded shoulders is a sign of bad posture and if they roll forward, your back really isn't supporting your body and everthing hangs to the gut area.

This is true for guys too!

Think about flexing your abs versus sucking it in.Keeping your abs tight will help and it's alot different than sucking it in.

Another tips is what we did when I worked on calandar shots.
Use cream foundations to draw in draw in some definition lines and a spray bottle to blend them together. Don't go all out on the contrast. it should be like a 1 - 2 tone difference. Then have your photographer use a tiffen 1 soft filter.

Also take the focus off your tummy.
for photos, long legs tend to make a person look taller and the focus tends to be on the legs and the whole body and not so much the tummy. Wear heels and have the picture cropped at above the ankles. This will help you look taller and with good posture, in better shape.

Hope this helps!

bunnygirl186
01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm going to be Namine this coming AX...so obviously I'll be doing a lot of sitting poses (i'd assume anyway...with the infamous drawing poses)

Even when I sit up straight I still got this lil'...roll goin' on. ^^;;; Any suggestions?

It's kinda hard. I take shots there (i'm diabetic) so it's got this wierd slightly swollen effect (according to my doctor)...Blah. >_>;

I have to same problem as well(being diabetic and the scar tissue build-up) I'm told it will never go away :(

AlishaShatogi
02-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Also, this is a trick I learned while doing an all nighter watching junk on TV, apparently before the Oscars or any big award ceremony, a lot of actors (especially of the female variety) will wrap themselves in cellophane (or a sauna belt) a couple of hours before they have to wear their costume and they sweat out about an inch or so. It's really a neat trick if you need to lose a tiny bit of water weight to make the costume fit a little better or to just shrink and tighten a bit. All you do is lose water weight.

That's actually pretty unhealthy, don't do it. It's easy to get dehydrated and that's a pain. This is from personal experience outside of cosplaying.

staereo
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I want to briefly add to my first post. After reading through all of these suggestions that followed, I feel the need to point out that this is cosplay, not modeling. While everyone wants to look their best when wearing cosplays, and probably even more so when they're wearing more revealing costumes, we need to remember that there is no need to be inhumanly small.

I do understand that is not the goal of the majority, but I do see an ever-present pressure to be thin in the cosplay world... Lets make sure that we resist these pressures together and keep the safe enjoyment of cosplay part of the game.

I don't want to get preachy here, but during shoots with models; that are fittingly 'model sized', these girls tend to be very weakened. By that I mean they are unable to do normal tasks. It is a normal thing to need to stop a shoot because a model is going to pass out because they are standing too long. Or, if they are in an odd position, often they cannot hold that position for too long because they are too lightheaded. It is easy to spot.

I just want to make the point that whether you agree or disagree with the way this is done in the modeling world is IRRELEVEANT. What we need to remember is that this is cosplay, and you can be in good shape, or any shape for that matter, without being unhealthy, or using unhealthy means to achieve the look you want.

If you run with the pressure too far, you may hurt yourself, or at least suck the fun out of your cosplaying experience.

I considered making this a new post to draw more of an audience, but hopefully enough people will see it here for the statement to be made.

Bruce

CherryBomb
02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree with staereo PEOPLE, STOP GIVING DIET/WEIGHT LOSS ADVICE!!! This thread was intended for getting tips on poses that flatter the body. I don't care how fat or skinny you are, everyone can pose in a way to compliment what they already have!

Berenice
02-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Uhh, just a question about the abs thing...

If I have a tummy (but it's not really big) Should I get abs? @_@

staereo
02-17-2007, 05:12 AM
Because this is posted in a photography forum, I'm going to assume that you're asking in relation to getting results in photographs.

If I had a picture, I could answer your question more accurately.

Now, obviously the first, and foremost answer is what YOU prefer. However, if you're looking for an objective opinion about the general photogenic look, thats a little trickier.

A camera records light. A person's body reflects light in the form of a 'landscape' of highlights and shadows. Depending on how you choose (or how your born), these contrasting light areas can reflect onto the lens in different ways. The important thing to remember is that light, in varying angles, can accentuate or minimize these contours. Usually, however, a camera tends to record a STILL image as a 2 dimensional recording of a 3 dimensional object.

The eye has a tendancy to spend MORE time inspecting the contrasts between light and dark on a still image than a moving, live image. Therefore, you can expect that whatever shape your body offers to the highlights and shadows of a photograph, the eye will have MORE time to observe it.

Thats why it is a common thought that the camera ADDS weight. If you have a tummy, the highlights above it, and shadows below it become more noticable (because the viewer has more time to study those areas). The same, however, can occur with a rippled stomach.

Now, what affect that adds to your final image is a completely seperate issue. A rippled stomach would denote a more athletic, sculpted, and perhaps tense feeling to an image. A curved stomach would be a more classical, fine art, and easy-going effect on an image. Depending what effect your after when you pose for your images, will tell you what your after for a body image.

Each has it's own set of limitations you create for a lens, but you should be choosing pose and composition based on your body type. You SHOULDNT base your body type on what limitations you offer a lens.

Neither is good nor evil, they just offer different feelings to a viewer. I hope this helps you with your problem.

Bruce

GenderConfusedCloud
02-18-2007, 02:43 PM
This is a great thread full of really good advice! I just wondered if there's any similar advice for thighs? My stomach and my chest aren't too bad (i'm not thin, but not seriously overweight either) bbut all my weight seems to go to my thighs making my legs huge in photos. Is there any way to counteract this, other than putting all my weight in back leg whilst posing?

staereo
02-18-2007, 03:41 PM
This is a great thread full of really good advice! I just wondered if there's any similar advice for thighs? My stomach and my chest aren't too bad (i'm not thin, but not seriously overweight either) bbut all my weight seems to go to my thighs making my legs huge in photos. Is there any way to counteract this, other than putting all my weight in back leg whilst posing?

Crossing your legs is helpful while standing. That is, if you put one leg across + in front of the other. It slims your thighs. (Think the classic 'gotta go potty' look. Just far less extreme, and far more relaxed.) Obviously your dress plays a HUGE role in the appearance of your legs and thighs. Also, by bending one leg and adding an angle, you lengthen your legs, and thus make them appear slimmer. (Think feet uncrossed, toes next to each other. One leg stays stationary, the other leg lifts the heel, bends the knee, and move the kneecap inward, in front of your other leg.)

This makes your whole leg look longer, adds an angle to breakup the straightness of your legs (and thus the 'larger thigh unstraightness' is less apparent).

I could go on, but I'm on my way out. I hope that gets you started, with a couple of standing poses that help thigh insecurities.

:bigtu:

VII Fangirl
02-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Ah, tummy poses. Before anything else is said about posing, definately go and sign up for some athletic thing. It doesn't matter what it is just so long as you're active. Even if you don't lose any weight or inches, the self confidence and glow you'll have will make even that little bit of skin and connective tissue hanging over your pants/skirt seem to disappear. Most of it goes with posture: shoulders back, chest high, eyes with pride!! (yay, marching band chants) Not only will it make you seem flatter around the midsection, you'll look taller and much more confident. If possible, wear a waistcincher (walmart for peanuts) under the costume if it's tight, but it's not a 100% thing. Definately go for the 3/4 view, but do NOT cover your back line with your arm. If a person can only see the front, there's no telling where it ends, and that just packs on the inches. Show off that shapely curve in the small of your back... it's sexy anyway, especially so if you've already got your shoulders back. The same principle applies while sitting. NEVER do any leaning forward pictures as that will invariably crease the skin and give the appearance of fat, no matter how skinny you are.

My sister's got a special case, similar to the diabetics out there. As a very small baby (12 days, people!) she had to have surgery in her abdomen (they called it a "malrotation" since her internal organs hadn't rotated completely into her body). This left her with a scar that's now 3" long just above her navel. It leaves a dent in her stomach and it looks like the lower part of her stomach is fat. For the record, she's 105 lbs at 5'2" and not at all fat. It wouldn't be such a problem, but she cosplays Tifa. That's what, 3 miles of midriff? She has a hard time doing crunches, and when she does them it only flattens the top half and leaves the bottom half looking like an orb. She's tried everything from flash diets to water pills two days before a convention and the only thing that's worked well enough for photos is to take an athletic class and cut as much sodium from her diet a week in advance to get rid of excess water weight. It hasn't physically helped that much that I can tell (well, her muffin top has significantly reduced. Backfat ftw >.> ), but she looks so much better in photos because SHE thinks it's doing something profound.

I'm unfortunately blessed with my mother's good Germanic childbearing hips, so my tush area looks doubly large in photos. While it's a good idea to cut sodium before a con anyway, it doesn't do much for this problem. I've found that heels on a costume will do away with a lot of that since you've got to stand differently. Never cock a hip unless you're body is directly between it and the photographer or else you'll get this nasty triangle immediately below your butt cheek (eew). Don't stand toes and heels together like a soldier. It'll make this nasty funnel that looks rather like a triangle on its point, the top being your thighs and the bottom at your knees. Full back views are made of evil and should never be attempted. Keep the 3/4 rule in effect, even if there's something cool on the back of your costume. I've taken to keeping my feet spread somewhere between a foot (your foot, not a ruler) and shoulder width apart or doing something cool.

About dieting: my friend is obsessed with his weight. He's about 5'5" and 120 lbs and crossplays (convincingly, I might add). When it comes time for conventions, he crash diets to a mere 600 calories a day if any at all. He doesn't exercise for fear of bulking up and looking manly. This leaves him anorexically skinny and similarly weakened. (we're still trying to figure out if he's clinically anorexic, but we've got our suspicions) Sure, his cosplay pictures look good, but what's the price? Constantly falling over, easily injured, unable to think clearly, and generally unable to keep up the pace of a hectic con.

When in doubt, check Victoria's Secret for ideas. They're not perfect for every body type, but great with their S curves which add dynamics to an image and detract attention to body "problems".

Above all, feel good about yourself no matter what shape you are because confidence will be the first thing remembered, not whether or not you had a 13" waistline like a Barbie doll. Have fun with what you're doing, but stay in character for poses. The day that cosplay turns into something for models only will be a very, very sad day, indeed.

benihime
02-19-2007, 05:59 AM
walking is also very good for you, in so many ways. especially if you're trying to lose weight instead of gaining muscle. crunches are better for muscles.

hisshouburaiken
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
The best way to show off your abdomen is to reduce the amount of fat covering it. 30 minutes of cardio in your fat-burning heart rate zone (ask google for calculators, there are plenty) three times a week will work wonders along with crunches and side-bends. One doesn't usually bulk up their abs as much as they do reduce the fat to show them. It doesn't matter if it looks "big" from the side, if your ab muscles are well defined then bigger will be better :)