PDA

View Full Version : less-than-pleasant experiences?

Kurenai
08-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Has anyone ever had really bad experiences/negative feedback because of cosplay?

I was wondering 'cos I was thinking about all the times I would look at fansview.com at school. Nothing happened most of the time, and if questioned I would say "It's for my senior inquiry project!" which -was- actually on cosplay ^^;

Point being, one time some girl just came and looked over my shoulder and said "UGH! Oh my GOD! What kind of weirdos dress up like that! That is SO WEIRD! :eek: " So I just looked at her and said "Hi, you're bothering one of those weirdos right now" and gave her a nice big grin. She just kind of twitched and skittered away. I love scaring the locals. ^_^

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 12:19 PM
> Has anyone ever had really bad experiences/negative feedback because of cosplay?

Oooooooooooooooh yes.

AX02. Someone rudely bumping into me in Angel Sanctuary gear (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=4367) and saying really loud "Way to go, try to bring back World War II". (and that was from a convention attendee too)

People calling the cops on my friends and I because we were taking pictures in a public park in costume? (with full-coverage outfits (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=5830) and simple "stand-by-something-pretty" poses)

Hmm... I've been called a freak when I was walking in my Zoisite costume (which is pretty normal for cosplay) in Baltimore...

I'm sure I have quite a few more but that's all that comes to mind now. ^____^

But I should say I also had very good experiences with people who knew nothing about cosplay... a lot more good then bad... but bad ones are generally the ones you tend to remember the most.

Mei Lan Chang
08-15-2002, 12:55 PM
My goodness Rosiel, that sucks. SInce i am really to scared to wear any costumes by myself in public, I haven't had any encounters as such. I always get the evil eye from my politically active parents for being and oddball though...

Ina
08-15-2002, 01:10 PM
i was looking through risingsun and fansview, this guy who likes anime too was looking through cosplay pictures with me, he thought it was cool, but then he asked me, "Do they get paid to do this or something?" i said no, and he was all like "Whoa, they need to get a life!!!" grrr, i didn't say anything becuase he wouldn't understand if i explained to him, omg, i just wanted to drag him to a con by his hair >D

KuroBara
08-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Rosiel, I've had similar problems in Baltimore. People are usually ignorant, but a few are rude. Cosplayers get so many stares in the food courts. Children are cute, they just stare unwavering. Adults try to make it look like they're not looking, and when you catch them they get all embarassed. One lady was staring at me on the Baltimore skywalk, so I met her eyes and stared right back at her! My favorite was the guy who asked if we were in a play. At the time I was dressed as Suzaku no Miko, and resisted the urge to say "Yes, a Mysterious Play". ^_~

When people in the hotel ask I try my best to explain, but they still give you wierd looks. One guy got in the elevator last year and said "I can't believe I'm stuck in a hotel with all of these geeks!" I wasn't in costume at the time, but I was still really offended. No one has the right to criticize our harmless hobby.

kelldar
08-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Not really, thanks goodness. My responses I've gotten have been positive. At Otakon, at the hotel, a guy walked past me (I was standing in the hall, waiting on my friend who had to go back to the room) and asked if I was going to a costume party. I just said yes, 'cause... well, it kind of is ^^;
Most people, when they ask, their response is usually, "oh, neat."

Koumori
08-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Very few, luckily. I'm very forthcoming about it at work - I think there's another otaku downstairs in Acquisitions, so maybe they were prepared for me here. "Yes, here I am, this is what I do." Most of my co-workers seem to think it's actually interesting.

The only negative experience I ever had was when I was dressed as Toshiya from Dir en Grey; I walked past a couple of guys who clearly didn't know what to make of us, and one of them called out "Holy s***, it's GWAR!" But that really just made me laugh.

Carmila
08-15-2002, 01:41 PM
I caught a major rap from going to my University's costume party dressed up as Sailor Moon, but just an hour later I won a major costume contest at a local club. The best part is that I won $500! When I went as Akari Kanzaki two years later, lots of people thought twice about making fun of me.

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 01:43 PM
> the guy who asked if we were in a play. At the time I was dressed as Suzaku no Miko, and resisted the urge to say "Yes, a Mysterious Play". ^_~

LOL. You should have!

My Angel Sanctuary group at this year's Otakon ended up defaulting to "We're in the middle of rehearsal for a modern take on Paradise Lost". That satisfied most people.

The lie for the cops was "Fashion students who did costumes as a summer project and need pictures for their portfolio".

Explaining "cosplay" to the neophyte is just too difficult sometimes. >____<

But like I mentioned, people are generally curious and polite, and sometimes downright funny (like the guy who gave us a thumbs up from his car as we were walking down the street going to our photoshoot last weekend)... kids being the best. =)

So negative experiences are few and far between... I just got a few extreme ones. O_O

Ayaka
08-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Yeah, those suck, Rosiel! Man.

Nothing really negative's happened to me. Besides the fact that I realized doing my photo shoot in the backyard that my next door neighbor and family were out on the porch, and two of the kids walked by and kinda gave me "the look", lol. And one guy at AX driving by waited until the light turned green and then shouted "HAPPY HALLOWEEN!" out the window. Oh yeah, and the lady who cuts my hair thinks I'm insane. She just kept asking "But . . .why? Why?"

I have a feeling SOMETHING is going to happen at AXNY . . . being in Times Square and all . . . I think many New Yorkers would be cool with it, but there are going to be a LOT of tourists around.

Celine
08-15-2002, 05:52 PM
Ugh, Baltimore is the worst place ever... if you don't want to be harassed, get changed at the convention center, or stay in the closest hotel possible. Last year, a friend of mine almost got in a fight with some random drunk. Both of us were in costume and the man made some very derogatory comments. My friend's a bit short-tempered and was carrying a staff as a prop for his costume, but I managed to convince him to just keep walking.

In general, I've got a number of good and bad experiences. Kids think it's really neat (like when we had a Team Rocket photoshoot out on a playground... with a whole little audience! XD), but most adults are overwhelmed by the weirdness, I guess. I usually just tell the random passers-by who inquire that the convention has a contest for best costume, and that seems adequate to them. There's really no use in explaining more than that.

pookie-kun
08-15-2002, 06:45 PM
I was walking with some friends in costume just across the skywalk between the baltimore convention center and the hyatt, and we got strange people walking behind us shouting derogetory comments.. mainly at my friends, though, not me.. *sigh* that and when I get rediculed in one of my irc hangouts for cosplaying by a couple somebodies.. those're the only negative reactions i've gotten. My dad probably thinks it's the devil, or something, but my mom thinks it's neat.

The best, I agree, is the funky looks we get from people in the food court at otakon ^_^ .. hmm.. and those of us staying in the hyatt, while going too and from the hotel on saturday night, had to wade through crowds of people going to this black tie party thing they were having there because of the fraternity thingy going on.

Pollyanna
08-15-2002, 06:48 PM
Well, getting nasty comments outside of a convention is sort of expected, but when you get made fun of for cosplaying AT A CONVENTION, then there's something wrong.
That's sort of the way it is at A-kon late at night. I just don't get it. If you're in the wrong place past midnight or so, it's like you're not even at an anime con anymore. All of these people who I guess are looking for a party or something show up. I never see them during the day, and I swear, they must not be anime fans. They ask stupid questions, are frequently rude and have made fun of me before. That's really the worst.
I've been pretty lucky at AX, though. I'm always apprehensive about walking across the 4 lanes of traffic in costume...and then especially again late at night. Hahaha...this year some guy said "excuse me, ma'am?" late at night, and I got pretty nervous. ("Ma'am!?) He was really nice and just wanted a picture, but I was totally nervous at first.
It's especially bad when you're a character that a lot of "normal" people would recognize.

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 07:16 PM
> I'm always apprehensive about walking across the 4 lanes of traffic in costume...

For some reason when you're dressed as an angel... people really make sure to stop far away from you.

^____^

Space Invader
08-15-2002, 07:41 PM
I haven't had any, thank god. The only person who thinks I'm strange is my Mom - my Dad is fine with it all - he doesn't have a problem with me cosplaying or blowingmoney on anime goods ^___^. Yeah, but if I continue cosplaying, I expect to get some strange looks every now and then. At cons you're pretty much safe, but anywhere else - look out. Yeesh. Some people are just RUDE, given what you guys have had experiences with. OH wait - nevermind, I HAVE had people stare at me before, LOL. After Ushicon me and my friends went into a pizza place for lunch and I didn't take off the pieces of my Puchiko outfit, mainy because I had hat hair *sheepish grin*. Everyone in the pizza place was staring at me in my kitty hat, tail, and boots. I would just smile nicely at them. Rosiel, kids ARE cute when it comes to staring.

Jibrille
08-15-2002, 08:20 PM
> "Do they get paid to do this or something?" i said no, and he was all like "Whoa, they need to get a life!!!" grrr, i didn't say anything becuase he wouldn't understand if i explained to him,

yeah... i hate people that dont quite understand the HOBBY concept

and on the subject of baltimore:
it is... the WORST con place ever... its a perfect example of why i preffer HOTEL HOSTED cons... not convention centers... and that city can be such a ... well... horrible city. and i LIVE in a cruddy city and baltimore scares me!
last katsucon was hell cause after the sewer explosion we had to walk WAY to far off the main track to get back to the Hyatt Regency... there were people staring, glarring, making calls and noises... arg *shudder*

Oh how i remember the looks we got at Otakon 2001... not only
were we sharing the convention center with the southern baptists (remember that?) but my group was also in the same hotel as they were.
though other than the strange looks and the "so what is this all about" type questions it wasnt too bad at all... but some of the faces that got made at us... but they sure asked funny stuff ^^

at the job i worked this summer though it was quite funny. i was a houskeeper at a hospital and a lot of the women i worked with there are between 35 and 60, and the older ones thought my sewing skills were so 'wonderful' and that 'its great i know how to sew like that'... ahh i love the sewing generation...

Kurenai
08-15-2002, 08:35 PM
My friends and I were walking down a highway in middle-of-nowhere Toronto, trying to catch a taxi or a bus (because we were at one of our early cons and the people we were staying with lived half an hour away...) We got a total of 19 honks ^^; Then we stopped at this gasoline factory that was having a strike, and they called us a taxi in the middle of their...erm..procedings....but we had a bus to catch in 20 minutes, so we RAN LIKE HELL when we got back to their house ^^^;;

Cait
08-15-2002, 08:48 PM
*nods* My anime obession has somehow made me a respectable member of youth society to most people. I work at the public library and a good chunk of the employees there are over 60. They are constantly asking me to play my Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne CDs and complimenting my on my refreshing taste in music. Several have briefly caught on, by the way I talk about things, that I do cosplay. But, most have no real clue. One of the younger ones is a Mary Kay lady and as soon as I told her about the Princess Marlene costume I was going to make come September, she began to verbally list all the perfect colors I could assemble into a make up kit/specialty compact to bring to a con and asked if when I finished my costume if I'd let her make me over with perfect makeup to match the outfit. I'd think that's a great response.

Once I was at a con and I bumped into a friend of my younger sister's that I'd never even known had seen anime. She was a cosplayer, too. I guess my town's just hip with it, yo. *laugh* I guess the DBZ shirt-to-person ratio at my high school should have been a clue... ^_^;

Even at the restraunts at cons I don't have problems. At AX only once or twice was my group approached by confused questioners. One or two people leaned out car windows and asked at crosswalks.

Usually, though, when they ask what cosplay is I can easily explain it by using the Star Trek/Star Wars analogy. Most everyone in this town has seen pictures of Trekkies at cons in uniform and Star Warriors in line for the premires. I simply tell them I do the same kind of thing at conventions for Japanese Cartoons, comic books, and games. They like that explanation. They think it's rather cool.... especially the kids my age who have never had the oppertunity to go to a con, let alone something like AX.. which I have attended.

Lovelyangel_81
08-15-2002, 09:09 PM
It bothers me when think they have the right to make fun at us or stare at us in costume like they never seen anybody in costume before. This is our hobby. We enjoy cosplaying and attending conventions. If they don't like it. Tough. They should get a grip and keep their opinions to themself.

Rosiel
08-15-2002, 09:15 PM
> Rosiel, kids ARE cute when it comes to staring.

They are especially cute when they think you're /actually/ an angel! =)

ReiChan
08-15-2002, 10:08 PM
>They are especially cute when they think you're /actually/ an angel! =)

Awww! That's adorable. ^_^

I haven't had a bad experience yet, but then again I've only been cosplaying for less than a year. I do get comments and stuff from random people. When I wore Haruko on a college campus a few nights before Halloween, I got stopped in the parking lot on my way home by some random guy who asked if I was *drumroll* Julia from Cowboy Bebop! I mean, I guess maybe the sodium vapor lights could have made my pink wig look blonde, but still. Julia from Haruko? I thought it was funny....lol. I feel pretty comfortable cosplaying in my area. I only do the Southern California cons...AX and Comic-con. People around here are pretty laid-back, and a lot of them seem nonplussed by costumes, or think it's cool, even if they aren't familiar with cosplaying or anime. I do get a lot of stares though...especially this year in my Death costume (see personal pic). Musta been the makeup. I walked through a mall in downtown San Diego in costume during Comic-con trying to get my parking validated. Tons of people gawked at me, but no one said anything. I don't really mind stares. I mean, if I saw another cosplayer walking around a mall I'd stare too. People like to look at what's interesting ^_^

Ayaka
08-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by ReiChan
I wore Haruko on a college campus a few nights before Halloween, I got stopped in the parking lot on my way home by some random guy who asked if I was *drumroll* Julia from Cowboy Bebop! I mean, I guess maybe the sodium vapor lights could have made my pink wig look blonde, but still. Julia from Haruko?

I think he was BREATHING some sodium vapor. oO;;; rofl!

That reminds me . . . my worst experience was when I WASN'T cosplaying. A friend and I won tickets to the FF movie premiere, and we took the train into the city. It was from a local radio station, we sort of felt we should, you know, "dress up". I was wearing fairly normal clothes, really, kind of goth though. My friend has this floor-length duster she made from this holographic-type peacock feather fabric . . . I suppose we didn't exactly blend in. But we got a LOT of catcalls, from way older guys and then this bunch of 15 year olds. oO;;; And then *two* groups of people asked us where we do Rocky. Took us a sec to figure out they wanted to know what Rocky Horror show we were in with our costumes! Oo;;;;;;;

Cait
08-15-2002, 10:22 PM
Took us a sec to figure out they wanted to know what Rocky Horror show we were in with our costumes!

^_^ I've gotten sympathy from many a follower of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Tenshi
08-15-2002, 10:27 PM
When I was Sailorstar Jupiter for Halloween a few years back, I got a LOT of weird stares. But the worse stares were from old men handing out candy that liked to look at the back of the costume, if you know what I mean ~~;;. My uncle was with me (we were taking his son trick-or-treating) and I thought he was gonna beat down one guy XD.

And then there's the times I've visited parks to do photo shoots. After one disgusting person looked at me and licked his lips suggestively, I tend to do pics now in the front yard ^^;;.

Cait
08-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Wow... happy I'm not that attractive -_-' .. but what can you do? My friend *cough* Yukai *cough* has that problem constantly. People just flock to her, hit on her constantly, follow her, etc. It really scares her... and amuses me to pieces. You should see the volume of people who take just her picture at cons. Even if she and I are from the same series. They don't want the picture of anyone else in the group, just her. My picture got taken most of the time only because I was standing close to her.

ReiChan
08-15-2002, 11:06 PM
>I think he was BREATHING some sodium vapor. oO;;; rofl!

He musta been... XD

BabySnowLeopard
08-16-2002, 03:38 AM
O.O' *blinku* mmmm the majority of that sounds pretty tame ^_^' I mean, the common public response... the staring... the shouting... the laughing and pointing... being called a "freak", "loser", "gay", "retard"... saying "Look at these idiots!"... "These people need to get a life!".... "You aren't PAID for this??"... "But costumes are for little children!"... "It ISN'T Halloween you know!"... asking what play/club/whatever *coughs* you're from.... generally pretty harmless, ne? ^_^' I've gotten plenty of that, even while wearing just a simple pair of bunny ears with my outfit ^_^' As long as they are not causing you any harm, let close-minded fools be close-minded fools X_x Sad, really...
I am just glad I have not had many incidents worse than that ^o^ You really do have to be careful about a hobby as "outrageous" as cosplay... and sometimes I forget that my state is one of the more liberal in the country ^_^' I generally avoid talking about cosplay outside of the cosplay community (even in the gaming community you will meet with vicious attacks), but every so often you will meet a few nice people who appreciate the creative aspects of such a hobby ^_^ it is always refreshing to talk to such people...

~Kie

Tenjou
08-16-2002, 12:03 PM
I hope I don't get anything negative, but I probably will. My dad doesn't even like me watching anime. and he reffers to all anime as "Sailor Moon". Even Hamtaro XD. He says that I shouldn't watch it since it came from Japan (WWII and all). People think I'm weird for liking anime, but one time I drew a anime picture and my friend Michelle thought it was really great and awesome. I guess you have to take the good and the bad. :-/

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 12:31 PM
> he reffers to all anime as "Sailor Moon".

LOL My grandfather calls it "japoniaiseries" a compound word he invented, made up of "japonais" (Japanese) and "niaiseries" (imbecilic things - can't find an English equivalent at the moment).

It pretty much sums up his opinion of it, and I think it's hilarious. ^___^ When you cosplay, a sense of humour is a must.

Hikaruchan
08-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Most the time I get nice comments, or clueless people ask what is going on and I explain and they are cool with it. Only had a couple of bad experiences:

AWA3, my first cosplay, insulted by another attendee
Otakon 2001, drunk following me calling out "Princess, Princess"
AWA7, drunk trying to get in my face asking questions

So, have to take the bad with the good. Problems above pale in comparision to the fun I have doing costumes. It was a blast to get a Xelloss yell out of nowhere when I was wearing the costume.

My coworkers probably think I am a little wacked, but they always are interested in pictures. And they usually are expecting me to bring something in to wear on Halloween.

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 01:56 PM
>They are especially cute when they think you're /actually/ an angel! =)

A little girl at I-Con loved my Sailor Neptune costume, and talked to me about my friends Sailor Saturn & Sailor Moon. She was adorable! Then she wanted to know where she could get a pretty costume too. She made the con for me.

I-Con is really fun to cosplay at. Except for the guy photographing my butt, everyone was really nice. They'll ask questions about the costume & characters, etc. I work the con, and some of the guests really got a kick out of it. One of them, I think he was on Bablyon 5, said "Wow, you're really cute. I don't watch anime, I'm too old for it, but I like the fans!" Miriam Sirois, the VA for Akane, was very nice to me about it. I was assisting at her autograph table, and lots of her fans asked for photos of the 2 of us.

People at the hotel were cool with it. I wasn't wearing a costume, I had a white tank top, blue sarong, a pair of wings and the Suzaku no miko flowers still in my hair. One of the hotel desk workers wanted a photo of me, & the lady in the gift shop absolutely adored the wings.

There was a wedding party and a prom going on, they weren't too happy. Everyone got dirty looks from them. One of the guys (really drunk) from the wedding started hitting on me & my friend, who was dressed as Rinoa. I popped into the bar for a minute, and another drunk guy started playing with my wings. Oooookay...

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 02:04 PM
> I-Con is really fun to cosplay at. Except for the guy photographing my butt, everyone was really nice. They'll ask questions about the costume & characters, etc. I work the con, and some of the guests really got a kick out of it. One of them, I think he was on Bablyon 5, said "Wow, you're really cute. I don't watch anime, I'm too old for it, but I like the fans!" Miriam Sirois,

GAH! Which one?! Do you remember what he looked like? (Yes, I have a few other fandoms, lol, though I don't pursue them with nearly as much . . . insanity.)

I forgot, I was on the elevator at the Hyatt at AX with some newlyweds. I wasn in Faye at the time. oO They didn't say anything; they just kind of avoided looking at me, but then I think they were sneaking looks out of the corner of their eyes . . . lol. I thought about saying, congratulations or something, but I was too shy about the whole thing. ^^;;;

Cait
08-16-2002, 02:09 PM
A Babylon 5 actor??!?! ....spoke to you!?!?! 0_0 *bleeds jealousy*

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 02:14 PM
>GAH! Which one?! Do you remember what he looked like? (Yes, I have a few other fandoms, lol, though I don't pursue them with nearly as much . . . insanity.)

Richard Biggs & Jason Carter were there, I think it was Mr. Carter who said that. My anime / sci-fi club has some good connections. Me = no clue who he was!

Cait
08-16-2002, 02:29 PM
MARCUS COLE!!!!!!! MARCUS COLE!!!! *fan girl screaming* MARCUS COLE and Dr. Franklin! *feints like a true fan girl*

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 02:41 PM
J . . . ja . . . Jason CARTER?!! *screams* *tries to faint and fails* *cries* Not to mention Richard Biggs!

Dangit! I need to start going to sci-fi cons again. Like I can afford it with my anime addiction . . . *sigh* Excuse me, I'm just going to go bang my head against a wall for a while . . .

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 02:51 PM
> One of them, I think he was on Bablyon 5

They were really nice! I had /no idea/ one of them was a guest and talked with him for a while. O_O But then I was a sort-of guest myself. LOL I loved giving the cell-painting class and helping with the panel. I hope I get to go back next year! =)

The best part was when we met the actor that does Pinpin as he was heading to the room facing ours.

I take it back, the best part was the Nobuo Uematsu autographed CD. ^____________^

Carmila
08-16-2002, 03:45 PM
One time, at AWA 7 I walked across a 5 lane street dressed up in a Japanese School Uniform and this guy came blowing past me. Well, my skirt blew up (duh! doesn't it always in these type situations) and this guy at the hotel yells at me, "This is a family Con! No Hentai Allowed!" I was so embarassed. It really wasn't my fault.

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Oo;;; Nobuo Uematsu AND Jason Carter? For the love of Pocky, where is this con?!

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 05:00 PM
>They were really nice! I had /no idea/ one of them was a guest and talked with him for a while. O_O But then I was a sort-of guest myself. LOL I loved giving the cell-painting class and helping with the panel. I hope I get to go back next year! =)

>The best part was when we met the actor that does Pinpin as he was heading to the room facing ours.

Ooh, that's cool. I can never seem to make any cel painting workshops. All of the guests were so nice! They really appreciated their fans, and people like me that brought them food. Pippin (Billy Boyd) was uber-sweet, he stayed an extra hour just signing autographs for the staff. Lol, 2 of my friends made it onto TheOneRing.net because they staffed his table! Luckys!

>Oo;;; Nobuo Uematsu AND Jason Carter? For the love of Pocky, where is this con?!

It's held on the SUNY Stoneybrook campus every April. They have pocky too! It's much more sci-fi / ren fair than anime, but that's changing rapidly.

Carmila~ That's so funny! Wind can be evil, that's why groups are good, use your friends as shields.

Pollyanna
08-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Hmmm...everyone...seems...so...positive now. ^_^

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 05:28 PM
Oops, this was a thread about unpleasant experiences, huh? I guess it just goes to show that the good do outnumber the bad. ^_^

Kurenai
08-16-2002, 06:13 PM
SUNY! Wai! Where is Stonybrook located though? ::isn't up on her geography::

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 06:18 PM
It's on Long Island, exit 62 off the LIE

ME-MANIA-Sama
08-16-2002, 07:14 PM
There isn't a law against dressing up for the hell of it, I've prolly gotten some weird looks ESPECIALLY with a huge Cross and carrying it around Baltimore. But who cares, I don't.

Everybody else was so concerned about going out in costume at Otakon 2003, while I'm dressed as Gau, and I couldn't have given half a crap about what people thought of me. I would just smile and show my fangs and people would just get a little creeped out, especially the little children!

arisuchan
08-16-2002, 08:02 PM
the only odd thing I ever had happen to me was the first year i went to Otakon I wore my Miaka costume (her school uniform) and I was waiting in the hyatt lobby for my friends and some random guy came over to me with his bags and was like "aren't you going to help me?" and I was like huh? and he was like "don't you work here?" and I was like no, then he kinda looked me up and down and went oh and walked away. I guess he thought thought that was the hyatt uniform *^^*

Quies
08-16-2002, 08:32 PM
eepa. i hope i don't run into any of that.
that only place i've dressed up to is the halloween part and my friends church, which i'm sure all of the ones our age thoguh we were just weird. the only annoying thing that happened was that everynoe keept asking if she was from saloir moon- and she was even dressed up as sukura from one of the buttchured english versions.

Cait
08-16-2002, 10:15 PM
and she was even dressed up as sukura from one of the buttchured english versions.

...I thought they were all visually the same? To the mainstream public, anime seems to be divided into three categories: 'Sailor Moon', 'Pokemon', and 'Dragonball Z'.

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Cait

...I thought they were all visually the same? To the mainstream public, anime seems to be divided into three categories: 'Sailor Moon', 'Pokemon', and 'Dragonball Z'.

Yup, that sounds accurate.

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 10:48 PM
The Evil Three. (No offense to the fans; it's all a question of how it's perceived by the general public, not anything to do with the shows.)

Koumori
08-16-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by arisuchan
I guess he thought thought that was the hyatt uniform *^^*

I knew I was really a cosplayer when I was at a hotel con and checking out one woman's maid costume.. and then I realized she was actually a maid.

Nadeshiko
08-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Let's see...

Nothing from any other cosplayers or convention attendees, but something happened at AX02...

Sora and I were in a hurry trying to catch the fireworks. She was dressed up as Sera Myu Uranus and I was the opera singer from Memories. This lady passed by us and was like, "is there any reason why you're dressed up?" I didn't pay attention to who she was since we were in a hurry, and since we were in the Hyatt, I thought it was a con attendee. I just said, "Oh, we love to dress up!" Then tried to scurry to find a view for the fireworks. She yelled "smartasses!" to us. X_X

Other than that, I guess I'm lucky not to have my costumes mocked by other con goers. AX2000 was ghetto cosplay con to me. ^^;;;;

Yomiko Readman
08-17-2002, 01:52 AM
My first time cos-playing was this year at Comic-con 2002 ^_^ It was really fun I had never been to a convention before and it was an even bigger experience being dressed up and all (Even though few people know who I was)

No one was mean to us but on the first day, my friend and I were waiting for my brother so we were just standing there and this girl in the most horrible mocking voice came up with her giggling friend behind her and asked "Are you Supposed to be Sailor Moon??" to my friend who was dressed up as Tohru-san from Fruits Basket (other than wearing a blue skirt, there was no way she could have been mistaken) My friend ( It was also her 1st time) being a very kind person was trying to explain who she was.

They started to giggle some more so I said "No, actually, she's supposed to be Pikachu." They left us alone. But other than that I had to keep shouting after people that she wasn't Sailor Moon and had to be held back ^_^ hee hee I wasn't gonna do anything...... *evil giggle*

DJ(SiC)ness
08-17-2002, 03:30 AM
:o oo where should i start oh yes . Ok i was 6 years old and i was dressed up like Mario for Halloween. Every single house i went to i got the same relpy. "AWW ISN'T THAT CUTE A BASEBALL PLAYER"

:thumbsup: ....WTF!!:mad:

A BASEBALL PLAYER! :( it took almost 9 years to get over that.But here i am today getting ready to start cosplaying.
Well i've always wanted to cosplay. I've been into anime most of my life, i remmember the day CN sarted showing it. I even remmember the horid day CN aired the first ep of DBZ. But i was into anime waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before CN got there hands on it and americanized it.
My cousin has been Cosplaying for years and i've looked on eagerly awaiting my turn. Due to my crapy location for the last 6 years (IOWA) i wasen't able to go to cons.And Anime Iowa always landed on the week school started and i lived on the other side of the state. But now all that has changed. i moved to LAS VEGAS!! And bored as hell. I don't know anyone out here, i went to school here for the last quarter. So i was able to check out my school and meet some people (my luck they moved...i mean what are the odds) But i got a small peek at there year book. And on there halloween page i saw a light, a wonderful light that gave me hope all summer. I saw a girl dressed in cosplay, i can't remmeber the anime, but i've seen it before. I was soo happy. Maybe i can meet some friends who are as big of anime fanatics as i am. In Iowa all we did was watch anime, be depressed, complain about how Sephiroth could totaly win a fight with Vash from Trigun, and listen to Slipknot. (yes its true Iowa is full of slipknot fans, maybe because we understand why there so pissed off.)

A couple weeks ago i went to my first Con. Me a old friend visiting and my Dad went to Comic Con. OOO what happy times they where. I really wanted to go to Anime Expo but i had no way out there. Since i don't have a car, i have to leave it up to my dad to take me places. Thank god he and my mom thinks this stuff is cool. But my dad is busy from June 29 to July 4 every year because he dose fireworks off the top of Mount Rushmore. (which is cool since my dad blows crap up for a living) but sucks for me con wise. But we're already planing to go to comic con next year. Since im looking into a future in Game design im going to live out there in cali so i'll be closer to the action. I've already chosen my first con costum. Auron from FFX. But i'm already working on one for Halloween. Im going back to Iowa for that weekend and me and my friends are going to go out and trick or treat (i know where a little old but so what FREE CANDY!) Im going as Dib from the cartoon Invader Zim. Im sorry but i love that show, its makes me laugh. So that will be my first costum since the horrific Mario thingi.

A BASEBALL PLAYER!!?

OMG i just noticed i've written a book...:thumbsup: sorry all... got kinda into it

But thanks for reading
~DJ

L to the 3rd
08-17-2002, 03:50 AM
I was squall at Us-Japan expo and some old
lady goes up to me and examines me closely and
asks if I was a girl or boy. when I answered, she said
gleefully "oohh how cute!!". o_0;; ?

Ayaka
08-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Dib! COOL. Heheh. I want to have a GIR costume for Halloween (too old to trick-or-treat, but hey) . . . we'll see . . .

OMG. She asked if you were a boy or a girl? I *think* that was a compliment . . . lol . . . oO;;

Rosiel
08-17-2002, 03:59 PM
> I *think* that was a compliment . . . lol . . . oO;;

The times it happened to me I took it as a compliment. It means the illusion is complete. ^____^

kyuuketsuki
08-17-2002, 08:41 PM
lets see, bad con experiences....

well, AX01 was my first con and the first time I cosplayed so I was a bit worried

and as luck would have it all the hotels nearby were booked so me and my two other friends ended up at the Meriotte which is like five blocks away from the LB con center ^^;;;

so, it's the morning of opening day at like six am an we decide we're too hyped to take the shuttle bus they have in LB so we start walking....my friend was dressed as Shampoo and I was in a school uniform and here we are at 6am walking through downtown LB....we got honked at, stared at, yelled at, stopped by a few cops left over from the night before(july 4), but once we reached the hotel with registration it was better

until the people running it told this whole group of us cosplayers that we had to come in through the back so we go racing three flights down, through the hotel lobby and back to the streets where we ran around the hotel, up three stories of stairs and wove through those fun barriers

but otherwise all I got where catcalls and honks
__________________________________________________ _

"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity."
-Christopher Morley

L to the 3rd
08-18-2002, 02:35 AM
Oh..I dunno..I was just really embarrased..
cuz she wanted to know why i was dressed
up and stuff too. No..I'm not a freak.. ^_^;; or some
biker-punk. I need to wear a sign on me or something. X_X

Ayaka
08-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna need the same sign in New York - "I'm not a freak; I'm going to a convention".

KuroBara
08-18-2002, 11:22 AM
I have a feeling none of the native New Yorkers are going to care ^_~ It should be interesting though...

Oshi
08-18-2002, 11:46 AM
If somebody asks me... I'm gonna respond in Japanese, just to fsck with them ^_^
"What are you dressed for?" "asoko ni kon desu" "...wha?" "gomen, eigo o hanashimasen"
Hm... I'm imagining Times Square half filled with cosplayers, and alot of confused people...

Note to self: Look up one-word insults in Japanese to throw back at people calling out "freak", etc.

KuroBara
08-18-2002, 12:15 PM
I prefer using clear hand signals, such as the state bird ^_~

Ayaka
08-18-2002, 07:34 PM
I'm not worried about the locals, I'm worried about the tourists. This IS Times Square we're talking about. *gets embarassed at memory of first cousin's trip photos* On the plus side, ain't nobody gonna get in MY way for once! *laughs insanely but wishes she had a scarier costume*