PDA

View Full Version : Casual Totoro?

caelanarcher
12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah, it's about the twentieth costume that I've mentioned maybe doing for Tekko and Otakon this year, but this one I actually started on in my free time today. Anyway, it's a very casual Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro) work-in-progress, and I'd like some input as to what to do next.
What I've got so far:
A hat base (still has to have the ears put on)
Arm warmers (I'll be adding craft-foam claws to these)
Both are made out of super-soft dark grey fleece.
Excuse the poor lighting and the mess in the background.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/caelanarcher/P1010110.jpg

What I'm considering adding:
Ears for the hat
Those little grey checks onto a white tank top.
Grey low-cut vest?
Puffy Totoro tail?
This time, please excuse the poor Photoshop skills.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/caelanarcher/fixed.jpg

Things I haven't decided yet:
Should I put eyes and a nose on the hat?
Grey fleece legwarmers?
Make a skirt from the same fleece? Or pants?
What kind of shoes?
Any kind of necklace?
Tank top or halter top?
Add a temporary acorn tattoo?
Makeup suggestions?

As you can tell, I'm still in the preliminary stages for this, so I'd love any input you guys might have. Thanks in advance!

Shine-Chan
12-13-2006, 01:05 AM
I like the idea of an acorn necklace or earings. Maybe add some soot sprites they make everything better.

I have a Totoro dress posted her that may help give you ideas. http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=33542&member=4712

If you do decide to make pants be sure you don't overheat. I know I was sweating buckets when I tried to have a photo shoot last spring in my dress.

GabrielDarkhawk
12-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Looks great so far! I'd suggest instead of adding eyes and a nose to the hat (ears would be good though) to focus on some make up. Blacken your nose a bit and some whiskers, things like that. And I also like the idea of a skirt and legwarmers. For shoes...maybe large-esque grey ones? Hope this helps a smidge. Best of luck!

kawaiifuu
12-17-2006, 07:11 AM
* Just one person's opionion but I like the idea of eyes and nose on the hat (I guess it's because I'm such a big fan of those Kyo hats ^-^)
* I love the idea of gray fleece legwarmers
* I'd say a gray fleece skirt, that'd be cute
* I'd say gray sneakers. Grey chucks would be kinda cute.
* For jewerly like Shine-chan said a acorn necklace and/or earrings. You can also add a tempory acorn tattoo on your arm like you said.
* Halter top's kinda prettier than a tank top, just my opionion.
* A torrotorro tail woyld be a nice touch
* Since it's causual and if you are gonna put a face on the hat, I'd go with just a natural look. Going without makeup at all at a con would just make your face washed out when you get your picture taken and putting allot of heavy makeup on would be too much when you've already got a tottoro face. Put a bit of mascara on your upper lashes (not too heavy!) A bit of gray or blue eyeshadow. Lipgloss and maybe a cream blush.
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of heavy makeup but if you decide not to do a totorro face on the hat make your own face a tottoro face with makeup like GabrielDarkhawk said