PDA

View Full Version : Buh, apologies, but room question..

sara*lynn
03-30-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm not very sure I'm going this year, just because (I've said this before) by the time August rolls around, I'll be 17. Yeah, you know how hard it is to get around when you can't get around by yourself.

Being an only child and a begging MASTER, I really might have a chance. It's just I don't know when my mom will gave in and say 'okay'.

So, my question is, when is it TOO LATE to get a hotel. "When they're sold out!" you say. Well, to some of you who have gone to Otakon before, when do the rooms really start to be slim pickings? June, mid-July? Hopefully I'd be ready way before July, but this is one of those 'in case of emergancy' questions.

Anyway, thanks for your time and help in advance!

~ Sara Lynn <3

Sakura
03-30-2003, 01:22 PM
I think a lot of them are sold out already, but last year I didn't reserve mine until mid-june. I got a hotel room but it was mad expensive >_< Once again, I'll be either making reservations in June if my mom lets me, or else I'm sleeping in my car XD

Lady
03-30-2003, 01:42 PM
The rule my group goes by is reserve fast and early. Let's put it this way: When Otakon announced the room rates for the Day's Inn, they were already sold out. You can wait late, but you'll end up being stuck with hotel rooms really far from the con, or hella expensive*nods* Keep in mind that Otakon is the biggest on the East coast, and had almost 13,000 people in attendance last year, and that it gets larger every year.

I think all the rooms were sold out by sometime in May or very early June last year, but don't quote me on that. If I were you, I would obtain permission for Otakon ASAP, and reserve your room(s) the same, or next day*nods*

(Unless you live really close and are lucky enough to just drive there every day)

Hope it helps!
-Lady

dizzylizzy
03-30-2003, 02:18 PM
:::lives close:::: drive back and forth?! lmao. the parking is terrbile. : )~ anyhow... yeah... book early... like asap or else you will shel out $300/nite.... and that would be sad.....

Nikol
03-30-2003, 04:11 PM
As many peole have said most of the hotels that have blocks for Otakon are sold out right now. Last year I got room that was still close to the converntion ceter (maybe a 2-5 minute walk.. really not that bad at all), but paid an arm and a leg; mainly because it was an upscale hotel (I had made my reservation last day of February)

But I'd suggest look for hotels around the center that Otakon does not have on their site. You may have to walk a bit but could end up paying less. Also try to get a group together and get a room that way. I did that last year and doing that again this year and the price for the room doesn't seem as bad when split among like 4-6 people.

And you could always call the hotel Otakon does have packages with and maybe someone would have cancled or something... it's a long shot but maybe something to look into.

sara*lynn
03-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Thank you very much, you guys! =) Big help, really! I'm definately not going to putz, I plan on starting the begging today. ;) I've been asking for the past 2 years, the woman's got to break sometime!

~ Sara Lynn <3

Romann
03-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by dizzylizzy
:::lives close:::: drive back and forth?! lmao. the parking is terrbile. : )~

That's what I did last year....thank God the person who tried to steal my car the first time didnt make a second attempt...^_^;

cyankirby
04-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Call as soon as possible; two of the closer hotels were sold out within about a week. The hotels closest to the con center get filled up first.

minako chan
04-03-2003, 10:46 PM
(Has 16 people for two rooms...shhh!) The Radison is a good hotel. Tip:when you turn 18, get a credit card and you won't have to rely on your mom. And you can just make payments on the room later!

Kurenai
04-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Just wondering, about how much of a walk are the Radisson and the Wyndham from the convention centre? Being not from a big city, I don't really know how long it takes to go a "block" but the hotel people assured me it was close. Just how close? ::is in 3+ groups, sweatdrops;:

cyankirby
04-04-2003, 12:02 AM
The Wynham is ~ 3-4 blocks away from the con center which doesn't seem much but in the summer heat it's pretty bad! Especially with a hot costume... But if you can stand it, the Wyndham is kind of nice.