PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for taking better photos

Lucifer
12-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I've been playing around with cosplay photography for a year now, inspired by several photographers who have brought the art back to cosplay photography.

I'm always looking to do better and learn more, and would appreciate any help or suggestions that other photographers are willing to give.

Some of my photos can be seen here:
http://pics.livejournal.com/1ucifer/

Again, thanks for any help :)

Lu

howzitboy
12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
lotsa great shots!
only problem i noticed is u cut off peoples head at the neck. for me that's a nono. and your color balance if off. u might try to color balance after with photoshop or some program. i like my whites to be white. and, for backgrounds i love repeating patterns, like your chain link fence. but, i hate the poles cuz it ruins the pattern so what i do is go farther back and zoom in so i can get only the links. just imho looks better.
you are doing an awesome job! keep it up and keep posting more shots.

Lucifer
12-20-2006, 06:19 PM
lotsa great shots!
only problem i noticed is u cut off peoples head at the neck. for me that's a nono. and your color balance if off. u might try to color balance after with photoshop or some program. i like my whites to be white. and, for backgrounds i love repeating patterns, like your chain link fence. but, i hate the poles cuz it ruins the pattern so what i do is go farther back and zoom in so i can get only the links. just imho looks better.
you are doing an awesome job! keep it up and keep posting more shots.

o.O um...I'm a bit confused about the 'cutting off people at the neck' thing. In the gallery, you click on the pictures to see the full size one (if the picture is more vertical, the thumbnails makes it appear parts are cut off).

Thanks for the suggestions though. I have to agree about the repeat patterned backgrounds, they are quite striking.

TomodachiFriend
12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm far from being a photography god but I have plenty of oppinions. :)

I'm not bothered by the cuttin heads off if you keep it for a those occasions where it becomes a feature. If you decide to include a person's head completely, try to give it some breathing room (Strength and Beauty).

I also believe the wrong white balance can become a statement or change a picture's mood, so use that wisely. The blue cast in Cloud and Sephiroth's picture is very fitting with Sephiroth's character but the same blue cast doesn't work with "House afraid of Chase" if you ask me.

Anyway, you're doing a good job.

tfcreate
12-22-2006, 10:05 PM
FLC (Flick)
Focus....
Lighting...
Composition...
It's all variations on the 3 basics....
TFC

howzitboy
12-25-2006, 07:53 PM
ahh gomen! those were thumbnails duh. how embarrashing lol. but yeah, you're doing an awesome job!! keep shooting and keep posting em up!