PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration...

Celine
08-15-2002, 08:17 PM
So, once you have a cosplay idea and buy your materials, you set forth on the long process of creating the costume. How do you all keep yourselves motivated? Does anyone else have the problem where you make part of a costume, and then just don't feel like doing the rest? Particularly if you mess something up and then have to do it all over again..? -_- blaaah.

Cait
08-15-2002, 08:23 PM
I wish! Once the idea enters my head I have a pretty much one track mind until it's done or nearly finished. *sigh* Sounds fun, but is amazingly annoying. ^_^;

Kurenai
08-15-2002, 08:38 PM
Well, usually I gather the materials on time, make sure I have an idea of what I'm doing, and then sit on my lazy ass until a week before the convention to start working in 6 hour panic-ridden shifts. Yeah, it's fun.

Jibrille
08-15-2002, 10:17 PM
i am horridly motivated by my own perfectionism...
and i hang pictures of the character here and there in the house. ^^;

Ayaka
08-15-2002, 10:22 PM
I have a motivation problem, too, Celine. ^^ (You're not alone!) I've had the pieces of Dotta for over a year . . . no motivation to finish. Though, I was really doing her to match my friend's Big Momma, which she put off for a long time and now she says she'll never cosplay . . . but, I do have that problem in general. I think Jibrille's idea is good, I think I'm going to try using a wallpaper from the appropriate series. ^^ Plus it helps if you go watch an ep of/ read a chapter of / play for a few minutes whatever it's from.

Tenshi
08-15-2002, 10:30 PM
I usually leave pictures of the character lying all around my room and the sewing room. Otherwise I'll forget about the costume. I have a really bad motivation problem -- my problem is that I like to do too many things, and I don't have enough time to do all of them! So cosplay, being generally a long-term thing, gets pushed to the bottom of the pile.

Oshi
08-15-2002, 11:37 PM
I just think... about how cool it's gonna be, and how much fun it's gonna be to wear it... I dunno... simple tactics, but it works for even the biggest procrastinator (myself.)
And I listen to music while making it. That keeps me going, especially my big playlist of remixes and dance music ^_^

Celine
08-16-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Kurenai
Well, usually I gather the materials on time, make sure I have an idea of what I'm doing, and then sit on my lazy ass until a week before the convention to start working in 6 hour panic-ridden shifts. Yeah, it's fun.

XD

That's what I usually end up doing... but I'm trying out this whole relaxed, no deadline, happy cosplay right now. It seems that without the pressure, I lose motivation entirely.

Music definitely helps. I like the TV more, but it's too distracting, usually. ^^ If I had pretty pictures to look at of my characters, besides those on my computer, I'd think about decorating my apartment. Interesting suggestion!

Oshi
08-16-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Tenshi
I usually leave pictures of the character lying all around my room and the sewing room.
Ah, yes. I put a nice FF:U wallpaper right on my desktop to constantly remind me... eheh... especially with Kaze pointing his gun like that... please don't shoot me, Kaze-sama ^_^;

L to the 3rd
08-16-2002, 02:24 AM
I guess like either watch the anime or play the
game until you get motivated again.. or I tell
myself I have to be anal or the costume will
look like crap...

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 08:41 AM
> I have a motivation problem, too, Celine.

Me too. >__<

What generally happens is I take my cell (hands-free) call someone else who needs to be sewing, on /their/ cell (hands-free) and we sew as we whine to each other how much we don't want to sew. LOL

But then the best motivation is sheer and utter panic, which is why all my costumes are always done last minute and I get to cons already sleep-deprived. ^____^ I'm such a procrastinator!

(Being in groups help when one of the persons likes to be done early and harasses you about it. LOL)

Celine
08-16-2002, 10:44 AM
I find myself whining a lot about how much I hate sewing to my roommate. He's constantly baffled by the amount of time I spend doing something I hate. Sewing was a little less tedious when I had someone else over sewing with me, but then, every time something would go wrong, I'd blame that person and be upset about it. Sewing makes me very grumpy. ^^

I guess I should try being in a stricter group sometime... I tend to do almost everything on my own, so there isn't much pressure from other people. ^^

Carmila
08-16-2002, 11:02 AM
Ah, motivation. The bane of my existance. I have to say I have been working on my Carmila costume for over a year. It has been such a long process, that I even bought some pieces while I lived in Japan, and am just now getting around to doing it!

Right now I am just putting the finishing touches on my Kurumi costume which I started all the way in May when I came back from China (I needed something to do before I went to work) and I am just now finishing it. It is terrible! I let it just go for like an entire month, but then I realized I needed to actually do my Carmila and SO I kicked my butt and finished up the main Kurumi.

I am such a procrastinator!

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 11:19 AM
> He's constantly baffled by the amount of time I spend doing something I hate.

LOL Some of my non-cosplay friends have mentioned the same phenomenon!

> Sewing was a little less tedious when I had someone else over sewing with me

I miss that. I don't have anyone uber-local AND motivated. The only one who usually comes to sew at my place generally gets us BOTH distracted.

> Sewing makes me very grumpy. ^^

Ooooh yes. I start snapping at people at getting annoyed at my cat who is always in the way. LOL

> I tend to do almost everything on my own, so there isn't much pressure from other people. ^^

My problem is most of the time I end up being in charge of the group... which is bad because 1) I have to get myself motivated to motivate others and 2) I tend to turn into a nag. LOL

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 12:19 PM
lol calling on the cell . . . XD I don't have anyone local at all, really. There are some people in my anime club, we're probably going to have a "sewing party" at some point; they used to do all of their costumes commission, and are switching over. Which means I'm the sewing expert. O.o lol.

I don't hate sewing; I don't mind the construction part too much. I hate doing heavy alterations to the patterns with tape and tissue paper. =_=

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 12:38 PM
> lol calling on the cell . . . XD

It works and best of all no long distance charge!

> I hate doing heavy alterations to the patterns with tape and tissue paper. =_=

(this is linked to a convo we have in another thread LOL)

I have to make all my own patterns. >___< Because I can never find a pattern small enough! What brand do you use? I generally go by my measurements but even the smallest cut for the smallest pattern is too small! And so I end up trashing it and making my own... >__>

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 12:48 PM
> I have to make all my own patterns. >___< Because I can never find a pattern small enough! What brand do you use? I generally go by my measurements but even the smallest cut for the smallest pattern is too small! And so I end up trashing it and making my own... >__>

*pokes with stick* You ARE smaller than me. lol. I use a lot of different pattern companies so . . . usually I just make it on the smallest size, try it on at whatever stages I can, and make adjustments. The first time I put on Faye's shorts they nearly fell off, lol. You can also sew with more of a seam allowance than normal.

KuroBara
08-16-2002, 12:58 PM
I only work on one costume at a time, so I usually don't have this problem. I'll usually work pretty intensively the 2-3 weekends before a con. Usually I'll play a soundtrack for the show I'm cosplaying from. During breaks I'll watch an episode or music video.

My main problem is lack of a sewing machine, so when I get access to one there's no more procrastination!

Rosiel
08-16-2002, 01:32 PM
> Usually I'll play a soundtrack for the show I'm cosplaying from.

I was SO fed up of hand sewing my Dragonslayer I started listening to Epistle (the music played when they get slaughtered by Van Fanel) on repeat for two days while I sewed. ^___^

> I use a lot of different pattern companies so . . .

None that come to mind that are made small?

> The first time I put on Faye's shorts they nearly fell off, lol.

LOL My Schuldig pants fell off. I had to cut about 3 inches off the outside of the pant legs and 2 on the inside (front and back) for the pants to look good (read: reasonably tight) and stay up. >__<;;;;;

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 01:45 PM
> None that come to mind that are made small?

I'll go look at them and get back to you. *doesn't feel like getting up at the moment; rather pathetic*

Carmila
08-16-2002, 04:07 PM
I just wish patterns were consistant! I mean a 12 with one company is like an 18 to another! Making master patterns is so much easier! I did one for my Battle Athletes Training Uniform and it was an interesting experience to say the least considdering I have no previous design experience or do I have any drawing talent.

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the patterns are really inconsistent. Rosiel, I can tell you that I made Youji's coat with a Butterick pattern, and it fit quite well. I couldn't find my other patterns, they're all buried . . . oO;;;

Kurenai
08-16-2002, 04:50 PM
What I used to do is drag my sewing machine up to the computer room, pop in a DVD, and just sit there on the floor with my leg at some odd angle pushing the foot pedal. It worked for a couple costumes, but then the tension got all messed up for some freakish reason, so now I have to do it in the basement on a table, where there's no TV or computer nearby ::grumbles:: Now I find ways to con people into visiting me whilst I sew ^_^ (Usually I end up sewing pillows for them or something lol)

Ayaka
08-16-2002, 08:07 PM
I've had TOTALLY random luck with Butterick; when I think about it, I think they were the makers of the totally incomphresensible pattern instructions for that one . . . *sigh* I think it's just hit and miss.

Celine
08-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Patterns are definitely evil and random. But, most of the ones I've seen go down to a size 4, or even a 2, sometimes (Simplicity & Butterick). At worst, the smallest size is a 6. Going by the measurements doesn't always work. -_- My most recent costume, which was a form-fitting Chinese-style dress, when cut to my exact measurements, had to be taken in nearly 4 inches from every diameter. Gaaaah. It doesn't help that to begin with, patterns are designed for "ideal" figures. Most of them only range about 3 sizes (sometimes 5 if they are nice and include XS-XL)... and according to most given measurements, I have to cut to a size 14 and size 4/6. I'm always guessing on some dimension.

Since I try to reuse my patterns often, I make a note of the adjustments I had to make on the package... that's come in handy a few times. One consistent thing about patterns is that if it says "loose-fitting" it usually means that cutting to the correct size means you can swim in it. heh. ok. enough pattern ranting from me.

Koumori
08-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Motivation isn't so much my problem as the fact that I work full-time and have a lot of other commitments, so by the time I end up rolling home, I just don't have the energy. I like to keep pictures of my current projects and fabric swatches up on a bulletin board, and when the project is in good enough shape, I put it on my mannequin - so I have to look at it all the time, and be reminded of what needs to be done next. I'm still really, really slow.

Tenshisama
08-17-2002, 01:13 AM
I have pattern troubles on the other end of the spectrum. My best bet is to buy a pattern and then enlarge it and edit it with pattern grid paper. Since trying that method, I swear I will never go back. ^_^ It's so much easier with pattern paper. I've also visited a local square dancing supply shop. They have many many patterns in all sorts of sizes for very reasonable prices. Plus, all those pretty petticoats!! *^_^*

Making a master pattern is nice too. I have a master pattern for a skirt now that I can use for normal wear or costumes. ^_^ I also like to make patterns from old clothes that fit me but have met some untimely demise... like... the washing machine decided to eat my favorite skirt (grrr)

As for motivation and inspiration... my problem is getting all excited about something, buying the fabric... and then not wanting to do it anymore. I even have a pattern cut for somethng I wanted to make and now am not so sure on. -_- I'm hoping to make some original outfits out of fabric I don't have plans for anymore though ^_^

KuroBara
08-17-2002, 11:02 AM
>a local square dancing supply shop

Now I've seen everything, my life is complete.

Way off topic! Yes, patterns are hit or miss. The business suit pattern that was modified for my scryed uniform was far too small, as it came from my friend's mom's giant collection. Grr...we forgot to account for that, so not enough purple shows on the front...oh well. Learn something new, right?

Tenshisama
08-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by KuroBaraDuelist
>a local square dancing supply shop

Now I've seen everything, my life is complete.

LOL, well, you find stuff where you find it ^_~

The wallpaper and picture ideas people mentioned here sound good. I have a poster with an outfit I want to make, so I think I'll stick that up on the wall next to my sewing machine as a reminder ^_^

Plus, I really need to use up some fabric >.< I have a ton of bright magenta fabric that I got for 50 cents a piece (woo hoo Joann's fabric sales)

Celine
08-18-2002, 12:40 AM
Thanks, everyone! I spent some time ogling the character designs, and placed the artbook pic on my kitchen table. Remarkably, I was able to get something accomplished today!!! *cheers* I think that having the pic was a good reminder to me. I had also set out the completed pieces on the ironing board so I could feel better about finishing, because I've already done so much. Yay! I only have the hardest parts left now. ^_^

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 11:39 AM
> I got for 50 cents a piece (woo hoo Joann's fabric sales)

And I start doing a victory dance when I get fabric at $5 a yard (my Dragonslayer was made out of $20 a yard fabric O_O)...

I'm really mad because the $11 a yard suiting fabric I bought ended up being crap. I wan fabric sales! ;_______; G Street never has sales and there are no Jo Anns nearby!

Carmila
08-19-2002, 02:33 PM
I used a Simplicity pattern for my Kurumi costume. Because I am a bit busty I cut it one size bigger in the top and decided to do the same with the bottom. Low and behold the top is like 10 sizes to big and the bottom, well is like two sizes too small. Well, at least it gave me the kick in the butt I needed to go on the DDR Diet!

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 02:45 PM
> the top is like 10 sizes to big and the bottom, well is like two sizes too small.

Wow... I always had experiences where both matched... and were wayyy too big. I actually dropped a whole piece on each side of my double-breasted suit and still had to take it in 3 inches on each side for it to fit me. it's insane!

Making adjustments on patterns take forever... and are frustrating as can be!

Carmila
08-19-2002, 03:15 PM
You are telling me! I think from now on I am going to stick with McCalls and Vogue. They are a 100% fit every time!

Rosiel
08-19-2002, 03:22 PM
> You are telling me! I think from now on I am going to stick with McCalls and Vogue.

Ohhhh then I will have to try them! I have yet to find any pattern that fits me!

I heard Vogue patterns were very complicated though... are they really?

Carmila
08-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Not really, but alot of them are taken from Couture designs (Oscar, Donna Karen, Isaac, Yoji, stuff like that) so they look alot more intricate than they really are. The key though is in the cutting, sewing them can be very easy, but cutting them out can be complicated!

You also have to watch to see if they go on sale. Normally, they are pretty pricey, but JoAnns usually has them for 50% off. Also, try Kwik Sew. Their patterns are never on sale, but in general they don't get above $10 a piece. That is what I referenced to do my Battle Athletes Training Uniform master pattern from, and I have to say it turned out quite well in terms of sizeing.

Kusanagi
08-19-2002, 04:53 PM
It seems that without the pressure, I lose motivation entirely.

Heehee, that is so true. To borrow a line out of Calvin and Hobbes:

Hobbes: Shouldn't you be writing your book report?

Calvin: Nahh, I can wait. I work best under pressure.

Hobbes: You ONLY work under pressure.

Calvin: That way the time is more miserable, but there is less of it.

I've been extremely lucky in the past. I've had to make my own patterns, then my grandmother (who loves to sew) puts them together.

Meanwhile I spend all my time figuring out the technical/mechanical/extremely complicated aspect that works its way into every one of my costumes. When I made my Dart costume, my grandmother was making the armor out of fabric while I was figuring out how to attach 6 foot by 5 foot wings to the back of my body.

Another interesting note: Have any of you with multiple parts to your costumes ever not had enough time to put it all on or together before the con?

The last three costumes I did were like this. My logic: Well, all of the pieces together individually work. They don't interfere with each other, so they should all work together! I just know one of these days this is gonna blow up in my face. :cool:

Ayaka
08-19-2002, 07:32 PM
> Another interesting note: Have any of you with multiple parts to your costumes ever not had enough time to put it all on or together before the con?

The only costume I've ever put on BEFORE a con was Kaoru from Kenshin, and only for a few minutes, not all the pieces either; just the top and hakama cause I needed to know if I could tie the hakama without help. This is a VERY BAD habit, lol! I really really hope I have time to put on Faye again and make adjustments, and Chrno before I leave for AXNY, or I'm gonna be in trouble. oO;;;;

Speaking of which . . . I need to get offline and go sew!

Rosiel
08-20-2002, 09:10 AM
> Another interesting note: Have any of you with multiple parts to your costumes ever not had enough time to put it all on or together before the con?

I /always/ make sure to try it all on before I put on the costume. The only thing I got lazy with were wings, and it backfired on me once because I forgot to put wingholes in the outfit! >_<;;; I had to cut through the outfit at the con!

So I strongly recommend trying everything on together before the con. And doing skit rehearsals in costume, so you know, for example, who has a tendancy of stepping on your trench. >__>

KuroBara
08-20-2002, 09:44 AM

I always manage to finish before the con (well, I did sew on the bus to Otakon this year) but sometimes the first time I try on a completed costume is the day of the con.

Daala
08-20-2002, 11:27 AM
hmmm... what keeps me motivated.... my cousin smacking the shit outta me if I don't work on it. That and reading this board... you guys do so much more then I do.
We don't even have a anime club around here...uhg!

Carmila
08-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Last year at AWA, I was finishing my Sunday costume Friday night in my hotel room because I just didn't have time to finish it while at school! It was no fun, I will tell you that.

Sami
08-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Motivation... hmmm.... ^^;; Seriously, when I'm starting on a new costume, I'm usually very unmotivated or irritated.. but when I start to actually put it together and realize that it fits RIGHT and isn't too small or falling off, THEN I get motivated! ^_^;; LOL so I guess it takes me doing something right to get me going. There've been times in the past where I've started a costume and completely bumgled the damn thing up, and it really got me down and I left it alone for months. >_> Really shouldn't do that..

But yeah. ^^; *ramble.....*