PDA

View Full Version : If a guy cosplays a crossdressing man...

rogue
03-30-2003, 07:59 PM
If a guy cosplays a crossdressing man is that considered crossplay?

My husband Flexei has cosplayed Hibiki Amawa from Strawberry Eggs. Hibiki is a crossdressing teacher. Since it is a male character crossdressing and Flexei is male, I feel this isn't a crossplay. What does everyone else think?

Menchi
03-30-2003, 09:00 PM
if it is a male character an a guy doin it i dont think it is myself.i woudl think it woudl be if it was a girl who dresses like a man. but a guy cosplayin a guy who dresses like a girl is jus cosplay to me ^^;

Koumori
03-30-2003, 09:15 PM
As far as I'm concerned, cosplay is cosplay. Who cares if you're "crossplaying" or not?

Michi
03-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Some people are self-conscious about the crossdressing aspect, Koumori.. That's why some people would care.

Rogue, it's not technically crossplay... but it's cosplaying a crossdressing character, so as long as he's comfortable with that.. ^_^;

rogue
03-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Being comfortable about wearing the costume is not the issue.
I just thought it would be an interesting discussion. :)

Freya
03-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Well considering JRockers do it all the time...oh wait...I don't consider them crossdressing but dah...it's confusing -_-

Michi
03-30-2003, 10:27 PM
I consider girls cosplaying J-rockers crossplay.. because they're still men, even if a lot of them are uber feminine. @_@;

Err yeah. So it isn't really crossplay for Flexei at all, rogue. ^_^;

Psychotic Jei
03-31-2003, 02:32 AM
Heh...I was thinking about people who cosplay Dilandau. Are they crossplaying....hn... the same thing with Nuriko. =O

Michi
03-31-2003, 02:38 AM
Dilandau?? Dilandau's not very effeminate compared to most characters. o_O; Questioning Kuja and Nuriko, sure people question, but Dilandau? O_o; Okay. ^_^;;;

JoeBoeing
03-31-2003, 10:47 PM
Greetings,

Hmmmmm... tough question... if a guy is cos-playing a crossdressing male I don't think it would be cross-playing but I think it would be cross dressing. I'm not sure though.

FRom,
Joe

Setsuna22
03-31-2003, 11:12 PM
Just a thought. What about Mad Hatter from Angel Sanctuary. S/he was supposed to be a woman, but is neither, and dresses in men's and women's clothing. Talk about confusion 0o!!

Miroku
03-31-2003, 11:49 PM
Well, if a guy dresses like a girl character, then it would be crossplay. Since Hibki Amawa is technically a female character, then I would say that counts too.

Psychotic Jei
04-01-2003, 03:33 AM
No...the story behind Dilandau. =O I think its ironic

Nine
04-01-2003, 07:23 AM
Crossplaying is when one cosplayes the opposite gender. If the characters gender is male, and the person cosplaying that character is male, then it isn't crossplay, even if the character dresses as a woman.

rogue
04-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Okay, how about this one:

Makota from El Hazard. He dresses as Fatora.

I would think you could cosplay as either character being male or female and it still wouln't be crossplay.

Kabuki
04-01-2003, 12:28 PM
to me a dress is a dress...no matter what its on... women=wear dresses...men=don't wear dresses. I consider somthing a "crossplay" ::hates that word:: when you see a guy in females clothing. I see this subject as just one of those....seeing the water as half full or half empty subjects..its just how you wanna perceive it to be.

as for beliel/mad hatter....I consider her a woman. she is simply an androgynous woman with a *ucked up brain and body due to her crack habits XDXDXD

Velvy
04-01-2003, 09:10 PM
I don't think it matters, but the guy who cosplayed "Au Revoire" Mana has my respect for life.

Michi
04-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Err.. Velvy, you mean the guy that posted right before you? ^_^;

Miroku
04-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Makota from El Hazard. He dresses as Fatora.

Yeah, but I would stilll say it counts as crossplay. I see you point that a guy dressing up as a male character who happens to dress up as a girl wouldnt count because its a man dressing up as a male character, but I think it is more about who the clothing is intended for than the character wearing it. But thats just my opinion.

Velvy
04-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Err.. Velvy, you mean the guy that posted right before you? ^_^;

.......O_O.........

Karisu-sama
04-02-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Psychotic Jei
Heh...I was thinking about people who cosplay Dilandau. Are they crossplaying....
Heck yeah, I'm crossplaying!! ~____^

Dilandau is a guy, and not even a crossdressing guy.

Rosieal
04-02-2003, 02:49 AM
This subject seems like a matter of perception indeed. In fact, the gender of an ink and paint character is a matter of perception.

Personally though, I would call it cosplay. He is cosplaying a male who is crossdressing. Perhaps there is no definite answer since I haven't heard of an official definition of the said terms, but for now I will rely on my own judgement.

SPOILER for ANGEL SANCTUARY

Belial/Mad Hatter was an angel. Angels were born without a gender. They only acquire that as they grow up. Belial/Mad Hatter was destined to be female, but she took medications to stop her transformation, hence she remained genderless.

Michi
04-02-2003, 04:46 AM
"Crossplay" isn't any official term anyway. But it seems to have popped up a lot lately. o_o;

Kabuki
04-02-2003, 03:15 PM
>___> MIICHII GETTT ON AIM!!!!!! LOL XD >_> who're you rooming w/ for AX/Fanime? 0=)

is cosplay even an official term?? =O LOL

the japanese coined the term cosplay....I guess we sorta coined the term cross-play...crossdressing cosplay

Karisu-sama
04-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Actually, the English Language term "costume play", of which "cosplay" is the contraction (and we all know how much the Japanese love English contractions! eg: Pocket Monster ~~> Pokemon), was indeed coined in the West, but developed a greater popularity in Japan. Now it comes back to us.

Michi
04-02-2003, 10:03 PM
..and we take it and make crossplay out of it. ;P

Pffftttt Justin. I'm not on AIM much anymore because I get bombarded. ^^; Catch me on if you can. :D I've got my own room for Fanime, but AX I'm not so sure right now.

Psychotic Jei
04-06-2003, 01:34 AM
I didnt want to post spoilers about Dilandau. I judt find it hyper special...considering who he was. :; skip hop over spoilers :: x_x

Karisu-sama
04-06-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Psychotic Jei
I didnt want to post spoilers about Dilandau. I judt find it hyper special...considering who he was. :; skip hop over spoilers :: x_x

The character of the Zaibach Ryuugekitai Captain going by the name of Dilandau Albatou IS a guy. :p Spoilers pertain to other times and situations.

Psychotic Jei
04-06-2003, 06:39 PM
^_^; :: does not know much about Escaflowne, just the stuff his friends try to shove at him ::

Dark_MooN
04-13-2003, 05:00 AM
er... i guess the logic's the same as that guy saying "im a lesbian trapped in a man's body".

ive heard this line from a movie.. just forgot where.

Karisu-sama
04-13-2003, 05:28 AM
Actually, I think Dilandau's pretty-boy harem isn't around just for torching small city-states...

avagoyle
04-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Nine
Crossplaying is when one cosplayes the opposite gender. If the characters gender is male, and the person cosplaying that character is male, then it isn't crossplay, even if the character dresses as a woman.

Yeah, I was going to say this, but someone beat me to it! It depends on the gender of the other person. For example, if I (woman) were to dress as Nuriko, that would not be crossplaying. If my roommate Nick (man) dressed as Nuriko then it would be crossplaying.

But, there are people out there like my love, Shiki, who is both genders, so when she cosplays Nuriko, she comes close to Nuriko's true form. :D

Karisu-sama
04-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Shiki = Nuriko! :D No da!

Hey, you're both pretty awesome. :)