PDA

View Full Version : Is It Any Good?

Laa
12-25-2006, 05:02 PM
i have never been to this con before, so is it any good?

Kaoshima
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM
hell yes

Romann
12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I went in 2005 and it was fun. It was a bit small, but more laid back. They've since moved to an actual convention center, and I've still heard all good things about it. If you are able to go, I would highly recommend doing so.

myaku_
12-29-2006, 12:11 AM
AMA has always been a relatively small con. Last year it moved to Richmond's convention centre, so it at least has the venue to be big. It's always been a fun and laid-back con, compared to other VA cons, anyway. I think the attendance has always been low because of AnimeNEXT, but this year they are on different weekends, so maybe AMA will really be better in 2007.

SweetRapture
12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
AMA was my first con, back in '04
and I've been back every year since
=)

madamevasquez
12-30-2006, 02:52 AM
i've been to every AMA since 2002. i preferred it when it was in a hotel, but it's still a good con. the parking is a nightmare, though.

Kaoshima
01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I seriously live within walking distance from the hotel it used to be in, so I miss those days, but the GRCC is cool too, it's just that now, curfew laws apply, so I find that part somewhat annoying, but hey, what can you do? :alien:

Alanna-chan
02-24-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm just hoping it's better than AnimeNext.

Lumasnati
02-24-2007, 09:52 PM
It's got it's moments. ^^;; A-Next is more... BAM...

fatalinjection
02-24-2007, 11:07 PM
It was my first con, so I don't really have anything else to compare it to, but it was alright.

XoPinkuSpiderxo
02-26-2007, 07:31 PM
AMA is ok, there are alot of conflicting opinions on it (from people that I've talked to) but I like it. Especially in the convention center, much better!

Although I did notice last year it was more like... gothy-con instead of anime con. If I remember correctly the people in HotTopic ensembles outnumbered cosplayers (from what I saw.)

Lycoris
02-28-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm just hoping it's better than AnimeNext.
Same here! This year will probably be my first going to AMA so I hope it's as good as everyone says. I was a bit disappointed with AnimeNEXT last year.

SaChan
02-28-2007, 09:58 AM
AMA is ok, there are alot of conflicting opinions on it (from people that I've talked to) but I like it. Especially in the convention center, much better!

Although I did notice last year it was more like... gothy-con instead of anime con. If I remember correctly the people in HotTopic ensembles outnumbered cosplayers (from what I saw.)

I noticed that as well! AMA was okay last year, but this year it should be better since it's not conflicting with the bigger convention weekends. As long as you get the hotel right next to the convention center then it's worth going to.

Reiko
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
BEST CON EVER!!

great hang out con and great to meet other Otaku and cosplayers :)

Tanuki-San
03-11-2007, 07:00 PM
oui oui, zis con is a good one.
I've gone to every single one since they started in 2001, it's steadily getting larger ( it seems) and progressively more fun aaaand, even though i get in trouble at least once every con i've never been thrown out and it's always been worth going back to.
In general everyone is quite friendly and accepting of eachother on some decent level and last years rave was wicked. worth going just for that alone IMHO

AgentOS
03-12-2007, 11:09 AM
I like it because it is very laid back and easy to meet people. The facility is HUGE . It make the attendance look small even though a few thousand people were there last year. I loved the amount of guests that came last year including piano squal, and the lady that did Minmei in Robotech. The dance was pretty sweet and the gaming room had a lot to offer including a slot machine I never won on. I have been going since 2004 as well and I find the new facility much better than the cramp one it used to be in. I also lived 5 minutes from the old location, but the drive downtown is worth it. If you plan to park, it is best to park in a deck and will cost you $20 or so for the weekend.

bamboocactus
03-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't say it's the best evar, but it's definitely got charm. I've very small, very quiet, very laid back. It barely even fills out the convention centre... the artist's alley is huge while the dealer's room is tiny. The masquerade is held in a HUGE hall, and the rave in the same hall... but they don't remove the chairs. That's how small it is.

Though it's a really nice place to meet new people, that's for sure. Richmond is DEAD this time of year, apparently all the college students go home and that leaves only the occasional hobo. So it's kind of like you have the city to yourself! It's pretty cool, I'd recommend it over ANEXT. :)

Kaoshima
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Actually, they did remove about half the chairs for the rave. but whatever, ppl still need a place to rest periodically while dancing for... what?... three to four hours straight?

Alot of ppl complained last year because there was a rodeo in the Coliseum (which is practically right next door to the GRCC) the same weekend of the con. Some cowboys bought saturday passes and were wandering around the con, and eventually made their way into the rave, where I'm sure they were just as thoroughly wierded out by us as we were by them. :) Stereotypes and misconceptions flew about in both directions, but all in all, no major inconveniences. Actually, one of the main sponsors for that event happens to go to my church, and I'm happy to announce that the rodeo should be on a different weekend this year. So you redneck-o-phobes can relax. :D

bamboocactus
03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Kaoshima: most of us just wrote them off as Bareback Mountain cosplayers :bigtu:

But yeah... it looked like they hadn't taken any chairs out, there wasn't much room. This year all I know is they'd BETTER not have Ayres DJing again.. I'm so sick of him >_<;And the rave was only like 2 hours long! It was so disappointing :( I'm not knocking AMA or anything because I had a great time, but that kinda irked me, as the rave is usually my favourite part of a con..

fatalinjection
03-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I actually am biased against the rave, 'cause they let me in for like 5 minutes, then some security guard told me I had to get out because I had on open-toed shoes :( :hafha:

My group just went and chilled on the second floor during the rave, and I believe we cat-called when the cowboys walked by XD They smiled and waved, though, so at least they seemed to be good sports about the whole thing.

bamboocactus
03-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah I remember now! The rave was INSANE as far as security went. There's also a curfew in Richmond so if you're under 18, you're boned. Man, they didn't want ANYTHING dangling more than an inch from your body, no open toed shoes, nothing. It was insane. And the staff were all reaaaaally strung out.

fatalinjection
03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I had a lot more fun sitting by the vending machines and waiting until people were right about to put their money in and telling them the machines were off XD;;;

I was over 18 at the time, but I hadn't heard about the curfew law until I got to the center for the rave, luckily they didn't care me 'cause I definitely didn't have my ID with me u_u;

Tanuki-San
03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
wow, i almost forgot about the security guards attitudes too, THAT was kinda lame honestly. And do you remember all that weird directing and redirecting/reforming/splitting of the line waiting to get into that thing???
i STILL don't know what that was all about because it really didn't seem to help the confusion, only hurt

fatalinjection
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Hmm, my friends and I pretty much just walked straight in, but we got there like 20 minutes after it started, so that was probably why.

Tanuki-San
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
probably, the line started like an hour before the rave did, but even after waiting 'till like 20 minutes before the rave to get in line, they still shuffled people around quite a bit, devoid of purpose , intending only to exhibit their absolute power and ability to sway the masses at their whims *_*, okay so it wasn't really that bad, but we didn't get in till after it was supposed to start, and they were very restrictive allowing passage.

For particular instance, they wouldn't let me carry in my small shoulder strap tote baggy so i ended up having to ditch it behind a column hastily, only to find it gone later on. hassle central
luckily it was at the lost and found ^_^

Kaoshima
03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I agree about the "dress code" at the rave, somebody seriously went overboard with trying to avoid any and all possible liability lawsuits. But it just ended up being a huge crappy hassle. But overall, the rave was awesome! my only beef was that DJ Greg Ayres saved the fastest recorded song in the world as the last song of the night. WHEN NO ONE HAD ANY ENERGY LEFT! People just kinda gave up and merely swayed in place, it was kinda funny. :P

bamboocactus
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
...Which is part of why I hate him >_>

I'm gonna email con ops and see if they let up a little on the dress code. There's so much gosh-darn room in that hall, you'd figure they wouldn't care. Is it a liability thing? Get people to sign waivers! No other cons I've been to have that issue, hell, some of them allow poi and glowstringing.

dustbunny
03-16-2007, 09:29 PM
it is a very fun con.
it is a nice one for u new con go=ers because it runs slower....being in richmond anyway. XD i live there now i can say it.

but it is a very good relaxing con. like before otakon. it's a great con cause it kicks off the summer as opposed to otakon that is at the end.

the con is also a good opportinuty for people to enter in contests and do the masq. cause there will be nothing else to do.
or do the artist alley something different instead of running around do the same old thing u do at every con.

but oh god i remember the rave lasst year...no NINJIA HEADBANDS....what the 'ell really that was not cool since i was doing sasuke
><

Kaoshima
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Some of my friends and I were wearing cat ears! but the guy who caught us was one of the nicer ones and didn't kick us out for it. He just told us to take them off, to which we reluctantly complied. He even warned us about the crazy accessory nazi that was kicking people out, so I guess I ought to thank him, Thanks big guy! XD

FancyFace
03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
AMA 06 was my first con and I enjoyed it. What I loved most about it is the fact you really got a chance to hang out and talk with the guest. From what my friends told me about bigger and other cons you don't get to do that as much. I thought it was a friendly atomsphere all together. Can't wait to go again this year!

GeneStarwind211
03-21-2007, 11:40 PM
This is my third AMA I'm going to. It is smaller attendence then most cons I've been to but usually around 3,500-4,000 members, and growing. I enjoy it, the staff is great there. Plus I think they have some of the best scheduling compared to other conventions as in there major events don't overlap with each other.

Laa
04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
hey thanks guys, i kinda feel a little better now, i thought it was going to be sooo boring, guess not! (^_^)