PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ball prop question

BionicSlime
12-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Hey I was wondering, does ANYONE have any idea where I could find a person or site that can make glass or crystal orbs that look like this:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/64/300px-DragonBalls.jpg

I'm trying to get a BLUE version of the 2 star dragon ball and with a crack IN IT or something similar. There about the size of a baseball but a little smaller. I know it'll be expensive probably but I really don't care.

I'm also looking for teeth, like small sharp white teeth for my dragon cosplay character from Dragon Ball GT. Anyone have any idea where I can look?

Katachi
12-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey, you know what? Amethyst Angel might be able to do it, now that she can make clear colored polyester resin gems...

find her on c.c or http://www.amethyst-angel.com/

Here's how I see it would be possible using resin gem casting techniques:

1.) cast the two halves of the dragon ball, blue transparent resin

2.) using a high dpi color inkjet printer, print the stars on overhead projector film, or temporary tattoo film, or something clear/translucent

3.) cut the stars out, glue them to one half of the sphere, and glue the other half on.

So in theory, what this would do is give you a transparent orb with stars in the center, similar to the .jpg unless the orbs contain an orb inside an orb which would be very very difficult to cast. You could probably get away with having a shaded sphere with stars on it as the center graphic, and in pics, it'll look like an orb inside an orb.

Anyway, shoot her a PM or e-mail and see if she'd be able to make you some dragon balls... she's got her gem casting techniques down and might be looking for new uses for them ^__^

Beryl
12-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey, you know what? Amethyst Angel might be able to do it, now that she can make clear colored polyester resin gems...

find her on c.c or http://www.amethyst-angel.com/

Here's how I see it would be possible using resin gem casting techniques:

1.) cast the two halves of the dragon ball, blue transparent resin

2.) using a high dpi color inkjet printer, print the stars on overhead projector film, or temporary tattoo film, or something clear/translucent

3.) cut the stars out, glue them to one half of the sphere, and glue the other half on.

So in theory, what this would do is give you a transparent orb with stars in the center, similar to the .jpg unless the orbs contain an orb inside an orb which would be very very difficult to cast. You could probably get away with having a shaded sphere with stars on it as the center graphic, and in pics, it'll look like an orb inside an orb.

Anyway, shoot her a PM or e-mail and see if she'd be able to make you some dragon balls... she's got her gem casting techniques down and might be looking for new uses for them ^__^
As far as I know, it's just a solid ball, no orbs within orbs. I think it's just the art style making it look that way.

BionicSlime
12-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Okay I e-mailed Amethyst angel and I'm waiting for her reply, thanks for the suggested website and I appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer. Now I was wondering does anyone know where I can find teeth?

Like sharp dragon like teeth?

EDIT

I just got a mail from Amethyst Angel and she says she might only be able to do a half sphere of it. I'm not sure if that will work but I'll see what she says next message, I asked her about what it'd look, and cost and etc.

But just in case, does anyone else know of any other prop places that might be able to help me?

PsychoRanger4
12-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey Creeper,

They Sell the dragonballs on ebay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280062705088&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RUPX_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=280065554267&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Hope this helped!!

mirrorsaber
12-30-2006, 11:46 PM
For your mold, you can use this clear snap off christmas ornament orb you can find at hobby lobby. I found mine and that is what Im using for my circular earring jewels. However, you will have to drill a hole so you can pour it in with some kind of pump while its snapped into its complete shape. If I had a picture of it, I would show it to you.

And A.Angel's tutorials are very useful for this.

BionicSlime
12-31-2006, 12:32 AM
For your mold, you can use this clear snap off christmas ornament orb you can find at hobby lobby. I found mine and that is what Im using for my circular earring jewels. However, you will have to drill a hole so you can pour it in with some kind of pump while its snapped into its complete shape. If I had a picture of it, I would show it to you.

Well how big is it, and how would I be able to make it blue and get stars in there, and this is probably the thing that's confusing me the most, what am I "pumping" into it?

You said drill into it to pour some kind of "pump" not sure I understand.

mirrorsaber
12-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Well how big is it, and how would I be able to make it blue and get stars in there, and this is probably the thing that's confusing me the most, what am I "pumping" into it?

You said drill into it to pour some kind of "pump" not sure I understand.

When I mean pump, I mean something like a shampoo bottle with a small lid with a hole inside it or something similar because you are going to use your bottle to pour inside the small hole you drill.

Amyst Angel explains how to make and color in this tutorial. Click on the gem section for more info and molds. You don't need to use blue resin for the DragonBall since its orange (unless you want to). As for the star, you can just drop a red star jewel or sticker in the mold before you pour the orange for the dragonball. I used blue for a pair of earrings I made for a Mario Bros Princess Peach cosplay. Thats why I said blue.
http://amethyst-angel.com/castingguide.html

They have different sizes in the mold. Get the large ones for the Earth sized DragonBalls for making those. If you are making the Namek size versions of the DragonBalls, you are going to have to find something else. I suggest taking a trip to Micheals, Hobby Lobby, or wherever is your closet art store. They should sell these plastic molds as well.

BionicSlime
01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
I just got done talking with Amethyst angel and she says she won't be able to do it. I could possibly try to make this but I would feel more comfortable having someone else do it simply because this is total new ball park area for me.

So if anyone again knows how to make a dragon ball, please let me know. Angel even suggested I ask around here. Anyone have any idea how to make a live dragon ball prop?