PDA

View Full Version : Underwater cameras

Miss Nintendo
12-29-2006, 04:29 PM
I will soon be doing a Mermaid cosplay, and I'd like to do an underwater shoot.
After much searching around I decided to come here for help.

What I'm looking for is a 35mm camera (preferably reuseable, so I cold use black and white film too), that can shoot underwater, and wont break my wallet. I'd like to keep it below $200-100 (lower than 100 wold be ideal) if possible.

It dosen't need to go very deep, It'll only be used no deeper than a pool (12- 8ft). And it certantly dosen't need to be a profesonal 1,000 dollar camera

Any help is much apprecated. Thanks in advance.

TechieCL
12-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Just as a point of advice, you'll want to look at underwater cases they make for the camera. That'll probably be a cheaper route that looking for a 35mm that is out-of-the-box submersible.

That's the method I took for my canon digital camera.

Winter Divinity
12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Just as a point of advice, you'll want to look at underwater cases they make for the camera. That'll probably be a cheaper route that looking for a 35mm that is out-of-the-box submersible.

That's the method I took for my canon digital camera.

Where do they sell such cases?

Enk
12-30-2006, 12:50 PM
i actually have one somewhere. I bought it for i think 70 bucks a bunch of years ago when I went camping on a regular basis. If I can find it, it's yours for maybe 25. I'll see what condition it is in.

shiroin
01-01-2007, 02:11 AM
http://www.seaandsea.co.jp/

GarnetteMermaid
01-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Good luck finding a good 35mm for it. I'd suggest a digital then you can digitally make an image color or black and white. The housings for digital are much easier to find, but you are looking at $200-300 for the housing alone depending on the type of camera you use.

I could help you find them, but underwater photography is not an inexpensive hobby.

Making Mer-Dreams Come True,
Garnette Mermaid
FoxMoon Productions
www.FoxMoonProductions.com
www.MerfolkTails.com

GarnetteMermaid
01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Also, they do have disposable underwater 35mm cameras that you can find for under $20.00 at any local Walmart or usually at Walgreens and places like that.

Another thought, if you do not plan to go too deep with it. I have two small 35mm beginner's cameras that have an underwater housing and viewfinder on them that we no longer use because we went digital. Our company has been trying to get rid of them so we could sell them for about $30.00 each. They are in great condition (only used a few times in a shallow pool) and work very well from what we had developed.

Let me know
Garnette

Miss Nintendo
01-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Another thought, if you do not plan to go too deep with it. I have two small 35mm beginner's cameras that have an underwater housing and viewfinder on them that we no longer use because we went digital. Our company has been trying to get rid of them so we could sell them for about $30.00 each. They are in great condition (only used a few times in a shallow pool) and work very well from what we had developed.

Let me know
Garnette

The very deepest I will be shooting in is a 8-12 feet pool.Although closer to the 8 feet mark since the 12 feet pool is public.

I am interested. PM me if you could! Thanks alot!

Alexia Ishtar
01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Actually recently I thought about this too...I'm a bit hesitant to get a case for my new digital because I'd be afraid of leaks and stuff and its a rather expensive camera, At some point though i think I will buy a walmart camera just to see how good they are. I mean its not like I'd be doing the underwater photos all the time but it would be interesting. (that and I too want to do a mermaid cosplay at some point)

GarnetteMermaid
01-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Depending upon the type of camera you have, if it is a better quality camera, then the company that made your camera probably has a housing specifically designed for you camera. So unless you crack the case, or do not ever lubricate the rubber "o" rings, then there are no leaks in the housings. They are designed to keep that from happening, but the same company that designs the cameras.

You will not get the same results with a less expensive "Walmart" camera as you would an actual underwater housing on a "real" camera.

Garnette Mermaid
FoxMoon Productions

pinkusakurachan
01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
disposable in a ziplock bag...

haha just kidding

GarnetteMermaid
01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
No Joke, I've had people tell me to do that that have tried it, but you have to be very careful of any leaks with ziplocks. LOL

Sipo
01-04-2007, 09:34 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought the disposable underwater camera for a trip out to the Colorado River, and used it underwater a lot, and... I was very pleased with the results! I was so excited when I got the photos back! They're definitely not the BEST, and there are no manual settings, but the image quality was not bad by any means. I only took it about 4ft deep though, and I can't remember what its capabilities were.

I don't have any scanned or anything, so unfortunately I can't show an example.

tfcreate
01-04-2007, 09:52 PM
There are many brand name underwater cameras listed on ebay. Many are reasonably priced and some rated past 5 metres.
PLEASE be careful when working under water.
http://search.ebay.com/underwater-camera
TFC

zafrina23
01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Sealife Waterproof Camera SL545 Sport Dive camera at around $93 is the most affordable underwater camera rated to 100 ft. depth. Made of unbreakable Lexan. Features easy, one-button operation, large top-mounted sports finder. Compact and lightweight. Can be used while diving, snorkeling or for watersports. Inner camera slides out of the deep dive shell for land use, fits into a shirt pocket. EXTRAS: External Flash, Macro Lens and other accessories available for expansion.

GarnetteMermaid
01-22-2007, 11:20 AM
I have one SeaSport 35mm camera with housing that I am selling to someone here for $35 + SHI. I have a second one (if I can find it) and would love to get rid of it too.

I also have, a SeaLife Reefmaster digital camera that has a housing, viewfinder, camera case, 228MB sd card and all its original cds and paper work in box. This camera is 3.3 megapixels, can go up to 200 feet deep, land and uw modes, does video, has a view screen and runs off of 2 AA batteries.
We payed about $500 for this camera alone, but are only asking $250 for ALL of it together.

It would be great for shallow shoots and amature photography. It's a good camera, we just upgraded and need to get rid of it.

Let me know if anyone wants it. Contact me off the forum and we can make arrangements.

Garnette Mermaid
FoxMoon Productions

Rage
01-25-2007, 05:30 AM
O_O *makes a note to contact GarnetteMermaid... umm... how? >.>*

I've been thinking about underwater photography as well, because for some insane reason after seeing aall these awesome shots of underwater cosplay, I really want some of my own (particularly my not-yet-done Serenity O_<;;;)...

GarnetteMermaid
01-25-2007, 09:05 AM
You can contact me via the private messages here on cosplay.com or you can go to our website at www.MerfolkTails.com and use any of the email contacts available there.

Garnette