Rikku Gun Mage
Final Fantasy X-2
Last Updated: 03-22-2011
I love the Gun Mage designs, particularly those skirts. I'd already made Yuna's Gun Mage outfit, but liked Rikku's too. I especially like the bright colours (yellow being my favourite colour!). Having styled a Rikku wig for my Songstress costume, I wanted to get more use out of it, so Gun Mage came next. I was so excited to have all three Gun Mages at AmeCon!
The skirt went quite well, except I had to use a 100% cotton for the skirt which was a nuisance since it wrinkles so easily, but it was all I could get in bright yellow. Patterning it was fairly simple after my Yuna skirt; I constructed it the same way - the blue and yellow curves are sewn together to make a single layer (I'm good with curved seams by now) and it's lined with a second layer of plain yellow. I don't like the idea of draping separate layers for these skirts since I don't think I can guarantee they'll always lie correctly, and my approach seemed logical for minimising the layers when I'd have to line it anyway to create the zig-zags. The skirt fastens with a zip at the side then the black straps Velcro in place. Those straps are cut from black leatherette with white felt circles - all helpful non-fraying fabrics. The designs on the skirt are drawn on in fabric pen, I love using pens where possible because I find it easier to get neater edges than with painting. I made matching yellow pants from lycra to wear underneath (lol) and used the same lycra for the hip strap things.
I made the top from lycra too so that it would match my gloves (I failed at dyeing a pair of gloves, so decided to sew my own). Lycra wasn't the easiest choice - I had to interface it in order to hem the circle cutout, and adding the bias tape was a pain. I sewed in a shelf bra because that cutout seems too close for comfort, so now if it shifts at all, only the extra layer of lycra will show. There's also bra cups sewn to the lining for further concealment purposes and because of the low back I can't have a strapless bra underneath. The white designs are snipped out of felt and hand sewn on - I do many things to avoid painting! The red collar is a separate piece which pulls on and off and was made from an old t-shirt.
I bought the stockings from welovecolors.com and had to draw on the designs in fabric pen while I was wearing them (successfully transferring them to my skin in the process). The tops are spare stretchy black fabric sewn on, and the zigzag trim is cut from stretch pvc (yay for fabrics which don't fray!)
To sew the gloves, I used Gren's instructions (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=60629) which went nicely, although gloves are always immensely fiddly and frustrating. The bracelet bands are stretch pvc and are sewn into the glove seam. The tops are interfaced lycra again.
Bootcovers were a pain. I couldn't find any appropriate boots to adapt permanently (as in paint or glue fabric to them) so decided on removeable covers for a pair of ankle boots I already had. I disliked the shape of the boots - they just don't work well with the design, and makes it looks like Iím wearing 70s platforms or something! I more recently realised by Adrian Andrews boots are a better shape, so made new covers for those. The covers were patterned by pinning fabric around the boots with a seam down the front, creating a mock-up from that and making adjustments to cover around the heel and so on, then sewn properly in the actual fabric (lycra yet again). The gold is stretch pvc and there's foam in the cuffs to give them shape.
Please log in or register to view comments.