This costume consists of one word: vinyl. My god, if there's one thing I need to start steering clear of with my costumes--it's vinyl! The fabric does not breathe at all >< However! it was particularly nessicary for my Shion costume, and for that, I had no problem with it (because I love Ms. Uzuki so).
I made the dress out of a simple dress pattern and modded it to fit the Xeno-suit style with the help of some friends. After finishing the dress, I worked on the styling of the wig, bangs and all. It wasn't too difficult. The only thing that was challenging was keeping the hair piece attached to the end of the braid D:
Next, I worked on the jacket. The jacket, is something I am more proud because of all the hand sewing that was put into it (certainly nothing to what I'll face in my future costumes, but it was my first hand sewing project!)
Grabbing a Burda jacket pattern, I used the same yellow-stupid-apolstry-vinyl for the main pieces. Then, I sewed black rougher vinyl to a small layers of foam and then handsewed them onto the jacket sleeves. This was for her arm, and elbow padding. Next, I worked on the back design of the jacket, sketching out the outline over...and over...and over...and then finally getting to the result I wanted--Used material: black fabric paint. Afterwards, I tackled the collar and then the handsewed lining.
Since at that point I had not had much experience with bootcovers, my dear friend Holly (leiko yume) took my boots and apolstry vinyl into her own hands and accomplished very accurate, cute Shion bootcovers. Thanks again, love! Also, I'd like to give credit to Ashley (PlasticNinja) who made and painted both my neck piece and hair pieces. Used materials: wonderflex, acrylics, model magic.
3rd place at Anime Oasis Nana (2008)
Where you can see it!