Tier 6 Priest (Bootz - actually a shadow priest)
Tier 6 Priest
World of Warcraft
Last Updated: 08-25-2009
I created a Tier 6 Priest to wear to the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational in Paris in June 2008. I also wore this for the release of the expansion 'The Wrath of the Lich King' at London HMV Oxford Street. My actual WoW character is shadow, but I would rather show all the detailing of an 'out-of-shadow' priest as I love the look of the priest tier 6 set.
I've spent around £172.34 on the materials but have also acquired some materials free - e.g. card + bits.
Blue gloves £9.45
2 X Masks £16.85
Wickes (glue) £10.74
Hobbycraft (paint, foam, wood) £65.84
Homebase (chain, glue + misc) £20.76
Singer (fabric paint) £23.23
Here are the stages of work done, and work left:
Preparation & Materials required:
Base Cloth/Fabric for robe
Extra fabrics for textures/shoulders
2 X female robotic masks
Plastic chain (sawed into 8 small lengths)
4 X Curtain rings
Fabric paint - white, black, 3 shades of blue, red
Glue - PVA and stronger all-purpose glue
Metallic silver spray paint
Fabric pen (black)
Day 1 - Cut out templates from the dress pattern. Cut material to size, pinned and machine sewed together (thanks to mum here for sewing and Emma for the pattern).
Day 2 - Used masking tape on the robe to outline the the detailing. Followed by outlining this with the fabric pen as well as grey paint outlines for main sections of pattern. Began painting detail. Cut foam into shape of character mace.
Day 3 - Continued painting detail to front of robe and shading areas. Time required for paint to dry before you can continue detailing. Began on shoulders, cutting first cardboard shield to size. (Thanks Em for the help)
Day 4 - Continued on shoulders cutting second shield to size. Covered these in white cotton fabric. Sheild 1 had mask attached to it and hair applied to it. Once set it was sprayed with metallic silver. The base shield (2) will be fabric painted in a darker grey. (Big thanks to Emma for working on the hair and the first shoulder). Chains sprayed, curtain hooks sawn and dark blue fabric cut ready for the masks. These will be applied last once the shoulder detail is completely painted and dry. Second shoulder left for another day...
Day 5 - Took in robe as it was too loose. Finished painting robe front panels and detailing. Began to make hood. Finished detailing on shoulder 1, fixed chain underlay, chains, mask, rings and glued in place.
Day 6 - Glued hair to shoulder 2. All that is left is to spray, paint and glue both shields together, and apply the chains and mask. Super strong velcro applied to the back of them. Made the robe arms into the glove cuffs. Yes it's cheating a bit as technically the robe stops just under the shoulders and gloves are separate, but it means less skin to have to cover in white 'undead' makeup, and easier to get those cuffs to hold up in the right position without being too heavy alone.
Completed shoulder and painted cuffs. Cut ends of gloves and glued down to make fingerless gloves, attached last bits of velcro. Minor paint/shading adjustments. Glued and covered the mace head in fabric.
Started marking out detailing on the back of the robe. Started to paint.
Completed gluing and painting of mace. Finished painting back of robe. Tested out some ghost-like undead make-up but didn't like the outcome so I'll go for the human look instead.
My opinion of costume so far:
- I should have started planning many months in advance, I've been a bit rushed to get it ready for June 2008 as I wasn't sure I wanted to dress up for the WWI.
- As my actual character is a shadow priest I couldn't think of a decent way to look 'shadowy', plus the effort I spent on the detailing, I didn't really want to cover up in any dark material. So my costume is more an 'out-of-shadow' shadow priest.
- The front detailing on the robe vears to the left a bit :s I should have got someone to view the robe on me and adjust the masking tape. I will see if I can correct it a bit by maybe taking a bit in on the right side.
- The back painting of the robe was a bit rushed and not as much time spent on it as I had the front.
- Happy with robe material, the paint took to it very well which I was unsure on.
- Shoulders feel sturdy glued down, hope they hold well when on the robe.
- Hood fits nicely.
- Glow stick/halo worked out well and fitted firmly on head.
Please log in or register to view comments.