Last Updated: 08-08-2010
Princess Tutu required cosplay, these uniforms were the simpler option and although I find them kind of ugly and very school uniformish, theyíre somehow sickeningly adorable at the same time.
I started this costume very early for AmeCon with the idea that using my patterns, others could copy me and make matching uniforms. My intention was to cosplay as Rue, but I already had the wig for Lilie, so thatís who I was for Japan Expo in Paris. I just needed to brush out the ringlets a bit, and make the bows.
I started out with an ordinary jacket pattern to alter, and with a mock-up, I re-shaped it into that cropped, curved front shape. I drafted out the sleeves myself - there's a complete sleeve, acting as a stay, then the puffy section on top, and a flared cuff. The jackets are lined in blue, with grey facings around all the edges and cuffs, and the trim is blue bias tape. The bias tape could probably be thinner, but I got it cheap in bulk, so just went with it. I also think that the grey polyester twill could be lighter, but it was what was readily available, and it worked out very well otherwise.
When making the skirt, I started out with a gathered circle skirt, but that turned out to be too full! Itís cut down into more of a gathered trapezoid shape now. I didnít want to make the hem scalloped since I donít like the effect, or the effort involved in hemming it! So itís just a plain, full, gathered skirt with a petticoat underneath.
The bodice was somewhat based off a fitted dress bodice pattern which I knew fitted me well. I donít think these dresses are very flattering so the closer the fit at the waist the better, and also a good fit is helpful for keeping that low front in place. I also made sure the back of the bodice was high to counteract the low front. The front is lined for the curved cutout. The skirt was then sewn to the bodice, and thereís an invisible zip down the side.
The blouse is an utter cheat - a Primark t-shirt sliced down the front, then a collar sewn on. The brooch is fimo clay.
My socks have those awesome zigzag tops which I made from stretchy t-shirt cotton, and theyíre sewn to a spare pair of socks. I just used shoes I already had, since I wasnít concerned with precise accuracy.
Please log in or register to view comments.