Last Updated: 08-03-2003
For the top part, I used a vest pattern and I freely cut strips of lighter colored fabric for the trimming. The only area I really had problems with was arms. Oringinally, I made the arm holes smaller than what I would've liked them to. Also, it was a little too wide, so I had to trim it down a few inches! But it came out nicely in the end.
This was my first time trying to make a pair of shorts, or pants even! I messed up somewhere along the way, and I had a giant waist, a huge crotch and two weird legs where the waist was sopposed to be. I took out my handy-dandy seam ripper and fixed it up on the second try. I sewed elastic onto the back to keep them from falling down. I also cut two strips of the lighter color and those were added to the legs after they were cropped a few inches.
The "obi" was made out of three feet of a fushia like color. Not too much to that. I think I had the hardest time with the "gloves" (for lack of a better term at the moment) I cut four trapezoid like shapes, the smallest side being the diameter of my wrist. Then I cut strips of lighter fabric to add to the tops and bottoms. After that, I sewed a stiff felt=like material to the inside so it would keep it's form. Next, i traced my hand onto a peice of paper, and sketched an oval over where I wanted it to cover my hands. I cut that out and used it for a pattern. I cut out two strips of lighter fabric and sewed them around each circle. Then those were sewn onto the bottom of the top part.
For the darker fabric on her legs, I bought two Ace bandages and dyed them dark purplish-blue. I picked up a pair of black thong sandals over the summer when I had first planned on making the costume. Lastly, for a wig, my friend bought a perfect 36" straight black wig for me! I trimmed it a little in the front for bangs, but not too much, as I was afriad of messing up the wig.
Please log in or register to view comments.