Red Dress (episode 2 &3)
Last Updated: 02-17-2009
This is one of many Sheryl outfits I've planned on making. I just love her character designs!
For the dress fabric, I already had 2 yards of a nice red velour (NOT the crushed look, more velvety) that has really good stretch. So I went with that.
I took the bodice section of a strapless dress as the base pattern bit for the red dress's tube-top-style bodice. Then just using my own measurements, math and a lot of guess work with a ruler, I mapped out a pattern shape for the gathered waist and attached skirt portion. The waist attaches to the bodice a la empire waist, right under the bra-line. It's shaped like a long A-line skirt, only a few inches wider than my actual rib cage. That allows for the gathering along the upper seam and the wider bottom section is very gathered at the seam to allow for a lot of droop over the seam. The skirt portion is just one big rectangle with two side seams, then doubled over on itself (to prevent the need for a hem), and two darts on the backside for better curver over my butt.
The bow on the back is two long strips sewn together, turned inside out, ironed and stiched into the waist portion at rougly 1.5 inches below the bodice. Happily, all my seams match up along the side and the bodice is lined.
The hat, shoes and sunglasses are all purchased as seen, though I did buy some gray bias tape for the trim on the hat, stitching that on by hand. My boyfriend helped me assemble the earrings, which I need to take some better images. I'll post more detail on that with specific pictures... but it took a lot of shopping around for bits and pieces and some guesswork. But I had a lot of good images to work with, so I knew how I wanted it to come together.
The jacket is from a modified double-breasted jacket pattern. I added in the pleats to the lower back. The outer later is a soft, white courderoy that I just fell in love with at first touch. The dark gray is moleskin, left over from a previous project and the inner lining is something I found on clearance. The jacket was a pain in the butt, but it came out very nice and I ended up wearing it most of the convention weekend. It's nice to have something so functional from a costume!
The wig is a nice blend of blond, pink and dark brown strands that my roommate found on Ebay. It was a decent price and we really lucked out on the quality and color! Hopefully the next Sheryl costume will have photos that show both the wig and my earrings in better lighting and detail.
Please log in or register to view comments.