Hey guys, I'm planning to make a costume of a Tales of Symphonia character for 2009! It'll be my first self-made costume, my past ones being borrowed from friends, matched from clothes from my wardrobe or commissioned from costume makers. I have already an idea in mind, and those who know me personally already who I'm going to cosplay. ^_^
The specific character I'll cosplay will be revealed here later, once I drafted a (complete) plan to make it. The plan will include:
- Obtaining references
- Choosing materials and buying/ordering them
- Learning to sew with cheap/scrap/practice material (I have the tools & machines for sewing, but not the skills nor materials)
- Determining the pieces to sew (clothes) and pieces to build (accessories)
- Finding patterns for the pieces
- Determining the time needed to accomplish each objective
- Getting help from other costume makers if needed
- Taking photos of each step to document everything
- Looking online for tips & tricks
- Finding a way to fold the final costume
- Finding a way to pack my accessories (which will be large...)
- Practicing the poses & lines of my character
Latest news will be at the top of the following list.
Jan 14 - Worn as "Random White Angel" at Otakuthon and Fan Expo. Was taken in picture by Robert of ConsPlayers at Otaku. Project stalled until a well-engineered solution is found for the full-size wings...
Jun 05 - Missed Anime North deadline; will debut at Otakuthon. Received feathers, bought fabrics.
Apr 17 - Bought another shirt, and a white belt (which was used at G-A). Will finish patterning this weekend. Progress = 20%
Jan 21 - Received blonde wig, wig cap, foam heads, blond-ish makeup and angel wings in the mail. Progress = 20%
Dec 28 - Plans are finalized. I got the shirt & pants that will go underneath (they're white). Fabric yet to be bought. Progress = 10%
Sep 30 - Costume project entered into my Cosplay.com account's Costumes List. Progress = 0%
AMOUNT SPENT SO FAR:
This is the gross amount spent toward this cosplay. It includes other items bought/ordered with the cosplay items, plus taxes and shipping. All amounts are in CAD, unless otherwise noted. The net amount has yet to be calculated.
White turtle-neck shirt, etc - Bought - $63.21
2 male foam heads - Shipped - $37.42
Blond wig, wig cap, makeup - Shipped - $60.74
Angel wings with free aura - Shipped - $52.42
White V-neck shirt, white belt - Bought - $76.70
Fabrics pack A - Bought - $48.74
Turkey feathers - Shipped - $183.61
TOTAL GROSS AMOUNT SPENT - $522.84
I had a budget of $800 towards buying a new camera this year, but I'll have to break it and use it instead to buy pieces for this costume. I'll rent cameras instead, since I don't think I'll be a daily dSLR user. And these rented dSLRs will only be used at conventions, to take pictures of cosplayers.
Note: If you see a costume credited as "Random White Angel", it's this one. It's a subset of the costume, what I'm wearing underneath. Once what's on top has been made, the character will be confirmed.
- None, not sewn/built yet. But I wish initially for a Hall Costume Award! This costume will be definitely DRESSED to IMPRESS!