Internal Structure/Hoop Skirt:
Materials: - Muslin, garden piping, silk ribbon, drawstring
Process: I cut out about 3metres of muslin in length and measured the width from my waist to feet. Folded over the waist and sewed a self waist band for the draw string. Next I sewed silk ribbon down the fabric at different levels and then the hem. I them figured out how wide I wanted to hoop skirt to be and cut the piping to that length, threaded it through the hem, cut slits at the end of the pipe and joined the ends together (plus a lot of duct tape). Repeat the process by threading the pipe into the silk ribbon sewn on the skirt.
Materials:- Black velvet ribbon, White polyester satin
Process: - I used the wrong side of the fabric as the right side to get rid of that ugly shine when people take photos.(Thanks so much to Anna for the tip!). The base is the same pattern as the hoop skirt and i just added an extra layer on top. I gathered a VERY long strip of fabric (approx double the length of the skirt) then stabilised it with the black ribbon then attached it to the skirt. Sew up the side seams and self waist band then insert elastic (elastic makes the skirt gather and 'poof').
Materials: White polyester satin, Pink Silk Satin (100% silk), light/medium woven interfacing, black satin ribbon, zipper, eyelets, black velvet ribbon, salmon pink velvet ribbon
Process: This wasn't really challenging and difficult as I expected. I draped what my patterns would look like on my mannequin (yes all the patterns were made from scratch!). Overall it only consisted of 5 pattern pieces (some you had to cut two). I tried to make this dress look expensive and valuable so I made it like how they would make Haute Couture garments(but my sewing is not as exquisite). Their are 3 layers - the outer later using the wrong side of the fabric as the right side (to rid the ugly shine in photos), the middle layer which is the pink silk+interfacing (for shape, stuck the right side of fabric with the facing as the fabric was lightweight and thin, i didn't want a gloss or sheen to go through and show on the costumer), then the lining. Zipper is on the side, Front and back bows are clip ons and the flower is hand made by myself with pink satin ribbon. Eyelets and corset style lace up at back. This dress definitely feels like an expensive old victorian dress because it is goddam heavy with all the layers!!
Materials: White Silk Chiffon (100%), Pink silk ribbon, black lace, hard interfacing, Pink Silk Satin (100%).
Process: Hard interfacing will give it the stiffness plus support needed to make the hat stand. I added the black lace as a little something extra (not in the actual series) and all the roses was made by hand out of silk ribbon (thanks to my friend Helen for showing me how to make them). I did this because I could not find any fake pink roses.
My overall opinion: Personally I am only about 75-85% happy with this costume. I did not feel like I did my best mainly because I was losing weight at the same time while making this so the toile fit and then the final product everything was too big!! (3 layers is not something you want to try altering -_-). I am most disappointed in the hat because I did not finish it properly and did not press the interfacing on properly so there are creases and air bubbles. Another thing I did not account for was the skirt in action. The dress was too heavy and a little small for the hoop skirt, the internal structure could not hold it well so it kept lifting up and going out of shape.
Did not enter competition