Last Updated: 06-22-2009
This was my first handsewn costume, as well as my first experience in propmaking. It was hard work and lots of fun. In all, it probably cost around $350 (no one said this wasn't an expensive hobby) to make.
I've listed it as 95% finished because there are some things that need to be altered and fixed after three days of intensive wear.
This is meant to be ed's outfit at the end of episode one.
Automail: I made an arm prototype of posterboard first, then eventually used the prototype as a pattern for the final version, which was made of wonderflex. I would cut the wonderflex pieces how I wanted them, then put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 250 degrees for about two minutes to soften them up. I would then shape them to my arm. I painted them with about 10 layers of gesso to smooth them out, sprayed them with a silver paint for plastic, then mixed the silver paint with an acrylic black, to age the automail. I then covered it all with a clear matte finish. The automail was attached to a leotard with snaps so they could be removed easily.
The same general steps were used for he lower leg section.
Shirt: This was the first thing i'd ever sewn. In the future, I would use a different material, as this one frays very easily, and is fairly fragile. I made a vest pattern, attached a crap ton of bias tape, and an invisible zipper down the front. the collar was reinforced so as to stay up.
Pants: These were purchased, then sliced and weathered to look like they had been ripped by claws.
Shoes: These weren't as acurate as I would have liked, but I wasn't sure how to create boots from scratch. These were a gothic style boot I found at walmart. I shortened the toungue, widened the side flaps, attached a strap around the middle, and painted to bottoms with a plastic spray paint.
Coat: Really fun to make. I found a general pattern online, though it was made slightly difficult to follow as it was in Japanese... I painted on the symbol, which I was worried about, considering my lack of artistic skills. I first painted the symbol in water to make a pattern, waited for it to dry most of the way, then painted it with fabric paint (just make sure to paint the black thinly first, as the remaining water will cause the fabric paint to spread out a bit)
The hair is my own. I was really happy to be blonde so I wouldn't have to wear a wig. I am not a fan of blonde wigs.
Belt: The belt was a blast to make. It was difficult to make a wide belt for someone who has hips, so I made it meet in the back at an angle. The rectangular cover in the back covered it perfectly well though. I am extremely proud of this belt. It took some creative thinking.
I could not have done this without the help of my friends, who have more sewing experience than me. :)
Please log in or register to view comments.