The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Last Updated: 03-22-2010
This was hard.
Here is the description of the armor as written by the creators of the game at Bethesda Softworks:
"Indoril armor is the ornate heavy armor style worn by Ordinators, a military order of knights in service of the Tribunal Temple. Gold leaf details the pauldrons, bracers, and helm of this insect-shell laminate armor. So many Ordinators come from House Indoril that the armor style is known as 'Indoril' armor, though knights of all Great Houses may serve as Ordinators."
The helmet, upper and lower sets of pauldrons, gauntlets, cuirass, shield, and katana sheath (not seen in the final photo shoot) were all made by me from scratch, out of paper mache, some of it with cardboard basing. The chainmail tunic is made of black fishnet fabric painted lightly with silver. The boot covers, scarf, and belt were also made by me from fabric. The gloves, pants, zori, tabi, and the steel katana used in the shoot were all bought.
I really enjoy the final look of the costume, but it was definitely a learning experience. The costume in total, juggling between work and school took almost 6 months to complete. By the end I was really rushing to finish and did all of the base painting 1 night, and all the detail painting the night before the day we were leaving for the con. I think the painting turned out alright, but the connections, the actual durability of wearing it suffered from lack of time. The lower pauldrons were strapped with velcro to my upper arms while the upper pauldrons were held on to the cuirass by velcro. Because of the angling of velcro on the curiass, the right pauldron would always slip down and they both got knocked around quite a bit at the con.
The front and back of the cuirass were hung over my shoulders with straps, which worked fine, but I didn't allow enough space for the side straps which were held on by velcro, so they would constantly come off. I think I allowed a bit too much space with the velcro on the belt as well. The gauntlets I made a tad too long, so it greatly limited my mobility. What DID fit and work well in terms of armor was the helmet, but that's because it was held on by the basic form and structure of my head. All the cloth based components were also fine.
As I said, I'm happy with the final look of it. I think paper mache gave it the right texture to replicate the bug armor as seen in the game. It was horribly difficult to wear though, and not many people at the con recognized me since the design isn't of Japanese origin. I still had a lot of fun with it and it was a very valuable learning experience to put toward future armored costumes, but I won't be bringing this guy along to any conventions again.
Please log in or register to view comments.