There are two styles of Helmet. I made the second because it is more practical to wear, and I enjoy being able to see.
First I made a tiny version from paper to check the proportions (note this is the first and only time in my life I have used trigonometry :D!) I had to do a wee bit of juggling with the proportions because I am a five feet tall woman and not an ungodly death monster.
Then I made the basic structure using cardboard and a lot of hot glue. The “lip” around the bottom edge was padded out with foam I cut from an old foam camping pad. I reinforced the joints inside with duct tape. (you can see the red tape in the photo below)
After the base was complete I plastered it with polyfilla to hide the cardboard joins and to give it an eroded texture.
For the grill I glued on some latticed slip resistant matting. For the knobs at the back I used rubber casters, and the struts are plastic window fittings.
After sanding the helmet I spray painted it with plastikote black primer, then a layer of chrome spray pant. The result looked too bright and silvery so I burnished it with dilute black acrylic paint.
I then rubbed in a mix of red and brown paint for a rusted, bloody look.
I based the smock on McCall’s #M5658. I don’t feel like I could deal with wearing a strapless dress and a helmet so I used a pattern with a collar, which is hidden by the helmet. I made it look more apron-like by adding a false wrap front. It also has a double zip, the big ugly burnt zip hides a normal dress zip underneath. I also added 27 little buttons with fake bound button holes in leather.
I built the filth up slowly- starting with tea and coffee (I smell like a dishwasher!) then moving on to dilute acrylic, then to full strength. It was a lot of fun! I chose a lovely white linen blend so it would hold stains and wrinkles.
I am disappointing everyone by choosing the spear over his trademark great knife. Well, I hate to admit it but I made a mock up of the knife in cardboard, but it was just too heavy for me to carry for a long period, so I went for the more lightweight spear (I need to hit the gym).
I made the spear using a broom handle I spray painted black, and the blade from cardboard painted silver. I made some “gore” using hot glue painted red- this had the added bonus of rounding the sharp corners. I melded the join with calico soaked in glue.
Best Solo , Wellington Armogeddon