The Lord of the Rings
Last Updated: 03-02-2009
I remember when the movies first came out, how much speculation there was about the shape of this cloak's hood. The drape of it caused more than a few questions, discussions, and pattern mock-ups over on the LotR Costuming group.
For this cloak, I found some beautiful lilac burnout velvet that comes very close to the colour of the velvet you see in some of the pictures. Since it was a wide material (63"), I decided to make it a full circle cloak. That was simple enough. I hemmed every single edge with a rolled hem. (Horray for sergers!)
For the hood, I used the pattern that I had drafted for the hood of the Fellowship Cloak. In hindsight I realize that I should have made the hood a bit larger, because the drape in the front is a bit short. C'est la vie.
Anyway, instead of sewing up the top seam all the way like the Fellowship cloak's hood, I just left 6-9 inches open. This created the split hood effect that the cloak in the movie had, as well as the draping effect.
This cloak turned out to be absolutely -massive-. There is so much fabric in it that it's a bit cumbersome, but it's so pretty. <3
Please log in or register to view comments.